tuscl

Juneteenth

founder
slip a dollar in her g-string for me
Be 100% honest?

Had you ever heard of Juneteenth before 2020?

I had not. And it wasn't on my Google holiday calendar last year, so I have a feeling someone at Google hadn't heard of it either.

80 comments

• ime
    4 years ago
    I only heard about it last year when they had it in that FX show Atlanta.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Yes, I’ve been aware of it for years. Maybe because I lived in Dallas for a time ?
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    Google has a fancy logo for it and claims it's the 155th anniversary of Juneteenth.

But real talk, I've never heard of it either until recently.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I had to look it up. Modern celebrations of Juneteenth were centered in Dallas. So, if you didn’t live there, it may be new to you.
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    I heard of it, but only because I happened to be in Texas one year at the right time. I’ve never heard it mention anytime and anywhere else.
  • Tetradon
    4 years ago
    I heard of it. Last year.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    I had heard of it and knew it was a black holiday in ... June
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Sure, I was aware of it. But I have never seen much hoopla for it until this year.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Yeah - first I hear of it - at first I just thought it was a black-version of Festivus.

It marks an important day in American history thus it should be celebrated.
  • gSteph
    4 years ago
    I learned of it several years ago; our daughter is married to a black man. Becoming more aware with time.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    I had heard of it, and knew some in the black community celebrated it, but had no idea what it was.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    No. But it pretty much makes sense its celebrated in Texas since that was the last state to hold out on releasing slaves. I think a more appropriate country wide celebration would be the legislation of the Emancipation Proclamation. I mean it is important when the last slave was freed but it feels like a shaming "holiday" to those holdout states in the south.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    "Juneteenth..a few days of celebration for white liberals and fronting for the white folks, for a number of blacks". Most black people could care less about it. It's the summer version of Kwaanza.
  • FishHawk
    4 years ago
    It showed up, or I noticed it a few years ago on my IPhone calendar. I think about two years ago I looked it up as I was curious to what it was about.
  • steve3000
    4 years ago
    I was aware. First heard of it while living in TX 25+ years ago. Had not heard much since moving from there long ago though. And never as much as this year, even back in TX. Definitely an important event and something that US citizens should remember and respect.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I lived in Dallas from 2000 thru end of 2009; I don't recall ever hearing this mentioned - perhaps it was and I don't remember but the last day or two is the first time I recall hearing about it.
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    Nope and I lived in Dallas for a few years and presently live in Atlanta.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    I grew up during the 70's and 80's in a very racially mixed town. We always had off of school for MLK's birthday, long before it was made a national holiday. Some of my good friends were African American and still are today. I never heard of it until a couple weeks ago.
  • clubdude
    4 years ago
    Mostly celebrated in "parts" of Texas (Galveston area), until a few years ago. That's when the slaves there were told on June 19, 1865 that they had been freed (in 1863).
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I have been aware of it since living in Houston back in the early 90's. It has been celebrated there for quite some time.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Sure I have 😊 I had a black friend in high school who participated in a pageant. That’s when I first heard about it.
  • steve3000
    4 years ago
    Yep, I lived in Houston back then too.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    I’d heard of it. But that’s about all I knew until this year.
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    Wasn't something we celebrated growing up in Alaska....
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Yeah I've been aware of it for around 6 or 7 years mainly because of living within 30 miles of one of the most liberal college towns in the country, Oberlin Ohio. I recall first seeing something about it in one of the local newspapers that Oberlin was having a celebration, I think 7 people showed up.
    Now in their overbearing agenda to manipulate the country's thoughts the media is force feeding it us as they do with other subjects they choose so that we'll all become the obedient drones that meet the approval of the Central Committee.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    No
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Ive been aware of it but this fake concern over blacks wasn't around. But thats the american way. Instead of addressing systemic problems lets make a new holiday and act like it solves anything
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I had not heard of it until a couple of days ago. I was wondering if I skipped school that day. Today I Googled it and then later checked to see which states did not celebrate it. I never lived in any of those 4.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    ever see those calendars that list like every holiday? even days like canada day? i had one of those calendars say about 5 years ago. i like to check out each of these holidays , wishing, "hmm i wish the office would recognize this day so we can have the day off."
    i did not run across juneteenth day on that calendar. starting next year will this be recognized as a federal holiday?
  • grand1511
    4 years ago
    Known of it for ~20 years.....but I am a bit of a history geek
  • Mr_O
    4 years ago
    NOPE!
  • sinclair
    4 years ago
    I'm with you founder. I never heard of it until a couple days ago.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I never lived in any of those 4 ..."

What 4?
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    ND SD MT & HA
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    👍
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^^ not the 4 that would've come to my mind
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    Juneteenth is for those who celebrate festivus
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    What is a systematic problem? Why a systematic problem is where you make up a problem without ever once specifically stating an actual fact about, point out a myriad of results that the problem created, while ignoring the fact the problem that can also easily be explained by many other events, facts and reasons.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Not that Juneteenth is dumb, but what is preposterous is why now? Just like why did they have a press release on putting up that Atlanta cop on murder charges before the state’s bureau of investigation could complete their findings? Today it is undoubtedly all about political pandering to the masses.
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Relax Meat-ape, just remember that holidays are a time to enjoy yourself. Just smile and enjoy any holiday you can. Hell, make up a holiday if you have to.

There was this one time when dugan and I were in this elevator and I felt the sudden need to fart. Did I despair? No - I used my inner rickness to declare “International Beef in an Elevator day” and I let it rip. Then my brother from a hairless ape mother and I took our leave.

It was worth celebrating because the rest of the apes in the elevator had to smell lion fart! Every year since I recruit some dork off the street, we go into a room, I fart, and then I lock him in. Good times are worth celebrating. ROAR!!!
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    January 8, 1964 is another date that is pivotal in the history of Black Americans. That’s when LBJ announced the The War on Poverty.

The speech led Congress to establish forty programs aimed at eliminating poverty by improving living conditions for residents of low-income neighborhoods and by helping the poor access economic opportunities long denied them.

Fifty six years later, we know this effort cost trillions of dollars and failed miserably. Before the effort, Black communities were solidly anchored by family and church. The government replaced this foundation with handouts from a central government bureaucracy filled with poorly thought out rules.

We can draw a direct line from the War on Poverty to the current chaos on the streets.
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Always remember the rick motto: it is ok to be an asshole as long as you’re not 100% a dick!

Words to live by. Now I’m off to celebrate international fuck my neighbor’s wife day. I think Imma lock him into a room I’ve farted in before fucking his wife. That way he can “enjoy” the odor while listening to his wife enjoy my BSLC. Have a piece of cake to enjoy the holiest of the rick holidays. ROAR!!!!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    There’s a tremendous amount of information that needs to be factored into this conversation but this isn’t really a conversation just a bunch of people posturing on the internet
    If y’all want to consider something reasonable you’d stop trying to bait folks with Ill considered rude shit and find some common ground , then maybe this tribalism would subside and you’d start to realize how a democracy is supposed to work by cooperation, not with one tribe constantly trying to dominate another
    Really who cares when you heard of Juneteenth, it’s a thing and it’s quite understandable why some people find cause to celebrate.
  • founder
    4 years ago
    Twentyfive, I care when people heard of it. I was raised in California public schools. Never heard of it

Went to a California state University. Never heard of it.

Had a Black president of the United States. Never heard of it.

It took the racist Donald Trump to bring it to a national conversation. Orange. Man. Bad.

• Mate27
    4 years ago
    ^^ oh I agree the tribalism is getting quite thick from politicians such as Pelosi/Schumer and those liberal lame stream media outlets. I must say we still are living in the best time of history, but the lame stream media is trying to convince everyone is a victim.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @25 "it’s a thing and it’s quite understandable why some people find cause to celebrate."

It's never been any kind of "a thing" at all on a national basis. Even in Texas it's only been recognized in certain areas within the state, as evidenced by the 40+ comments above. Go ahead and try to find a quote from Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or Barack Obama where they reference "Juneteenth."

Trump inadvertently scheduled his Tulsa rally for June 19 and instantly, as if by magic, it's the biggest "thing" since the Selma marches. Trump's rally date is the one and only reason this "holiday" gained sudden popularity. A coincidental opportunity for the left to attack him.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    The name sounded somewhat familiar, so I might have heard it mentioned in years past. We have enough holidays. Government employees already have too many paid holidays.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Rick the lion ripped that line off from the third act of Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I'm impressed with y'all who found something offensive about my statement, like I said who cares when y'all heard of it, strange how none of y'all has enough empathy to understand why a group of people would celebrate the Emancipation Proclamation SMH
  • founder
    4 years ago
    25, who found offense? You asked who cares. I told you I care.

I honestly don't care if people celebrate it. Fuck it, make it a national holiday for all I care.

All I am saying is I and many others have never heard of it until Trump brought it up.

• whodey
    4 years ago
    Here in rural Ohio I knew of it as a teen in the ninety's because a friend of mine's father always held a cookout to celebrate. They had moved up here from Austin and that man could really roast a pig to perfection so everyone showed up anytime he barbecued.

Hadn't really heard much about it around here since he moved back to Texas about 10 years ago though.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Hypocrisy is simply the underpinnings of progressive political thought. They understand absolutely nothing other than what they rigidly believe and throw hate speech at anyone who disagrees. Like fucking Kwanzaa isn't a holiday based solely on racism.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    I've known about for years. It directly ties with black family reunions, church homecomings, and the homecoming celebrations every year on black college campuses. I went to Howard University, but even before that, I had an awareness about Juneteenth because I read a lot of historical accounts particularly those by Ivan Van Sertima, Lerrone Bennett, Jr., John Hope Franklin etc. Dr. Greg Carr has a very informative, entertaining video that explains the significance of Juneteenth and how it connects to what's going on today. Really worthwhile, insightful information to increase everyone's level of awareness and understanding.
  • Estafador
    4 years ago
    as a black man, I only heard of it a few times. THIS YEAR is when I actually looked into it. Excuse my fist, they will be staying in the air for the rest of the week. Black POWA UNGAWA. But seriously, its good for the black community to come together for something directly relating to their history.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    are there anymore of these "holidays" that we should be made to be aware of?
  • traveler2019
    4 years ago
    and CNN liberal anti Trump commentator DON LEMON made a big deal about it. Now Chicago 's mayor is declaring it a holiday and a lot of banks took a half a day off. Since I don;t really know a lot about the celebration, I really can't comment much about it.
  • traveler2019
    4 years ago
    It deleted most of my comment. It started that I am a white man in my seventies and I truly had never heard about Juneteenth until this year when Cnn commentator don Lemon made a big deal about it .
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... are there anymore of these "holidays" that we should be made to be aware of? ..."

Well - since you asked - I believe I heard the NAACP wants to make the invention of the afro a national holiday - it's starting to get a bit ridiculous but such are the times we are living in
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Somewhere on hell Nero is laughing. Why isn't Chanukkah a national holiday?
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    "the invention of the afro a national holiday"
    yes we must celebrate the days of retro hair creations. mullets for the whites, shaolin: bald on the front & ponytail at the back for the chinese.
    any others?
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    "Go ahead and try to find a quote from Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or Barack Obama where they reference "Juneteenth.""

https://search.archives.gov/search?query…

I think Obama released an official Whitehouse statement every year in office. It's not like this was an unknown event prior to Trump postponing his rally by one day. Most people are unaware because it is not in their wheelhouse. I don't know the meaning behind most Jewish and all Muslim holidays. Doesn't make them any less valid to the people how actually care.
  • joatmon
    4 years ago
    heard about it years ago, but it wasn't taught in school that I remember.
  • Dolfan
    4 years ago
    I had heard about it a while back, but it wasn't until I saw it mentioned on that show Black-ish that I knew what it was. Prior to that I had herd the term Jubilee for that day. I can't recall if I was taught anything about it in grade school but I'm certain it wasn't part of any college curriculum. I'm not really sure where I learned about the idea, or when.

Coming back to strippers, I was actually watching Black-ish with my then favorite stripper. She was an early twenties girl with two half black parents. She insisted it was made up as a joke on the show, we even bet on it. I enjoyed my prize much more than I expected.
  • codemonkey
    4 years ago
    The first I heard of it was all the social media posts calling the fact that Trump would hold a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa a dog whistle to white supremacists.

The leadership in the company I work for (like in many other companies) is doing a lot of virtue signaling so they won't be publicly called out for not doing so. One of their "steps to be more inclusive and fight racism" is they're considering making Juneteenth a paid holiday starting in 2021. In the last week or so I've talked with 4 black co-workers about Juneteenth and 2 had never heard of it until this year and none of them had celebrated it or done anything special for the day.
  • AbbieNormal
    4 years ago
    I have lived and worked in the Washington DC Metro area for over 30 years, and the first I ever noticed it was last year. I saw it on my Apple Calendar and casually asked a colleague about it. He'd never heard of it either. So I googled it.

Many people think the Emancipation Proclamation ended slavery in the US, it didn't. The 13th Amendment did that. But as commander in chief Lincoln issued the executive order that freed all slaves held in states in insurrection as a military matter. If a slave could make it to Union controlled territory or the Union occupied Confederate territory all slaves in that area were considered permanently free. While there was some issue with slaves still held in Union states that had not rebelled, later addressed by either state action or the 13th amendment Juneteenth marks the day that the last of the Confederate controlled territory was occupied by Union forces, and thus, the last slave freed.
  • captainfun
    4 years ago
    I had never heard of it until two weeks ago when my company put a two hour training call on the calendar to learn about it and discuss it.
  • captainfun
    4 years ago
    I was just on another social media site that is more geared to professional networking. I have noticed several people over the last two weeks that are posting pics of them and their spouse. Mostly white guys with a black wife with an underlying message of 'look at me, I've been pro-black forever'. Does anyone else find it odd that someone would be seeking props for having chosen someone with different skin color?

If you find someone attractive who cares what they look like.
  • Goodclubrep
    4 years ago
    First heard about Juneteenth in about 1980 or 81. I live in the South and it's mentioned, not like this year, but every year on the local media. I thought everyone knew about it so I was surprised at the planners of the OK rally not knowing of the date and it's significance in history. Maybe living here and going through the Civil Rights events of the 1960's allowed more awareness.
  • prevert
    4 years ago
    Almost my entire family celebrates it. My great great grandmother was a slave in Texas in June Nineteenth 1865 when Granger issued his general order number 3. Her “owner” had raped her numerous times and she had three daughters by him in three years. The last one, my great grandmother was born just before the order was issued and missed being killed by her “father” by only a few minutes. If that union soldier hadn’t been there neither would I be today.

So yeah, I knew about it from early childhood. The rest of you who haven’t heard of it are the victims of shitty education.

Oh, and fuck the confederacy and fuck that loser’s flag.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    ^^ @prevert
    From a completely objective standpoint, if your great great gran hadn't been raped you wouldn't be here either. History is history and, whether good or bad, it's what got us to where we are today. I can easily recognize the significance of June 19 (now that I know about it) and it's a fascinating story about your lineage. Too bad nobody ever brought it into the mainstream until Trump inadvertently scheduled a rally on that date 155 years later.
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    I heard about it when a 8 yr kid old circa 1958 in Greenville, TX Some people in pops (My mother’s step father) store joking about it. There was a sign outside that said “the blackest land the whitest people.” The N word was used very freely and they stayed in their own section of town enforced by LE. I was told the KKK helped maintain order post civil war bc yankee solders allowed a lawless atmosphere where blacks were raping white women. The KKK restored order by dragging the black rapist thru town then lynching him. Once I over heard old lady Smith say “those people who moved in next door are Yankees from Kansas.” A black person was described as a Nx man or Nx woman and my father told me you don’t say sir to a Nxxxxer. When I hear this stupid shit crap about disbanding police do these people think folks will just stand around and get killed robbed, and raped. Something like the KKK will step in and restore order then thugs will wish they still had the police.
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    Sign outside town said that
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    We kids would play war bc most army sets had Yankees and confederates and some people that looked like slaves. I would let my younger brother be the Yankees plus have the slaves so give him a chance and would take turns throw marble knocking them down (kills).
  • founder
    4 years ago
    I am absolutely amazed this wasn't taught in school.
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    I am not a racist and those times past.. It is unfortunate what has happened recently but blacks are not only ones discriminate against. Aspies, older people, handicapped, atheists, and various other Groups face discrimination.
  • Garfield84
    4 years ago
    I’ve known about Juneteenth day for years. But there are several key days in black
    History that get overlooked. Juneteenth day was actually an episode on ABC’s Black-ish years ago when it was funny (I stopped watching it after like 3Rd season). . It’s been on the Apple iPhone calendar for as long as I can remember but so is numerous holidays. My wife from Florida celebrated in church her whole life. I’m shocked founder has never heard of it being he’s in California. But this is a prime example of how we can live amongst each other and totally IGNORE significant days in one’s culture. It’s like we’re in a bubble. Even if we live in the same neighborhood. It is what it is. And Trump didn’t make it Juneteenth day for originally scheduling his rally on that day. It was Dan Rather’s tweet that called him out on it. Look it up. Rather thought it was intentional that Trump held the first rally in 3 months on a historic black day in history and the site of the black Wall Street massacre. Rather (and others) felt it was Trumps way of thumbing his nose at all the recent protests. I’m not sharing my beliefs, because I only talk SCs in this forum, but it’s unknown whether trump or his staffers knew about Juneteenth.

I do feel it’s disingenuous that everyone is celebrating a day in history that has been
    Around for years. It never got coverage like this. Everyone that is posting “happy Juneteenth Day” certainly didn’t post it in previous years (just look at their June 2019, June 2018 posts). The day was just as important last year and the year before that. Don’t just post because now because the social justice movement is reaching mass acceptance. That’s the fake part to me that disturbs me. But whatever . I’m just saying (like Twitter OJ says)
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I think this fact sheet explains why there is such variation in knowledge. It list when States recognized the Holiday. Texas was 1980; California not until 2003.
    https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44865.pdf

Every President since Clinton has made a statement on it. Oddly, Trump and Melania issued a Whitehouse statement two years ago.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-sta…
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    I live in Texas so I'd heard of it.
  • BitCoinHodler
    3 years ago
    My high school us history teacher made a huge deal out of juneteenth, but I'm also in CT and she was openly a huge liberal.

Glad its a federal holiday, there's a big gap between fourth of July and labor day.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    The idea that this holiday celebrates anything other than illiteracy is embarrassing. Just another work day. First heard about it in 3rd grade and as the years go by its become less and less impressive.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion