tuscl

Generation Gap with Dancers

azdd
On the prowl in Tucson and Phoenix
Thursday, September 15, 2022 8:37 PM
OK, so I’m way older than the dancers I enjoy, but usually have some common ground on pop culture, music, movies, etc. Recently I was getting dances from one of my club favorites, a 24 year old blonde hottie. I was wearing a Rolling Stones concert T-shirt, with the well-known lips/tongue corporate Stones logo. She offered the usual “I like your shirt” comment, but then asked what the logo meant! I responded, are you kidding me??? The Stones? This has been their international brand for decades! She piled on with, “I don’t think I know any of their songs”. This dancer is not prone to stripper shit, but my jaw dropped that she could really be that clueless or disconnected from something like The Rolling Stones. I told her that I could guarantee her Mom knows who the Stone are, and she should check them out. What other huge generational gaps have you encountered with your dancers?

68 comments

• san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The younger people today do live in a different reality. To understand America you have to realize that MTV started in 1981, and that that was the same year Ronald Reagan took office. This latter has changed everything. SJG
  • wallanon
    2 years ago
    If the dancer consumes all of her media via the Internet with websites and apps that tailor content it's not that surprising.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Nicespice is a young hottie, and she seems to get all of her info from the Internet, and she seems way above average on how well informed she is. SJG
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    The Stones are totally irrelevant to someone 24 years old. Tbh they’re irrelevant to most 40 year olds. Good for them for managing to keep their audience up for 60(?) years, and if you like 60s rock, they are one of the top couple of bands you will probably like. Their main contributions and high point, even from a fan’s perspective were decades ago. Personally I find the Who and the Kinks and the Byrds are a lot more interesting examples or the era.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    When I was that age, I still knew who the big stars of the 30’s and 40’s were. Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots, Bing Crosby, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Harry James, Benny Goodman It’s frightening she has no idea who the Stones. It’s not like they’ve out of the spotlight
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    The Stones? Lol I’d be stunned if they even knew Blink 182
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Motorhead when did you turn 24? It would have to be in the mid to late 80s it wouldn't be comparable. The Rolling Stones haven't had a #1 song on the US charts since 1978 which was 20 years before that stripper was born. That would make a 24 year old today about as familiar with the Rolling Stones hits from 44 years ago as someone who turned 24 in 1987 would have been with Glenn Miller. You also have to remember that most of us grew up during times where a lot of our entertainment came from whatever our parents were watching on TV or listening to on the radio. I didn't have a TV in my room until I went off to college and I didn't have my own radio until I was 16. That meant I watched what my parents were watching or listened to what they were listening to. Most people that have grown up in the past couple of decades have had a TV in their bedroom, a radio of their own and a computer with internet access and that means they haven't had to watch or listen to their parents preferences throughout their teenage years.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    @whodey Also I believe that the younger folks don't watch the same TV content we do, most of us watch broadcast or cable network shows, the younger folks are more likely to watch alternative programing such as you tube channels we don't watch, so references to the culture icons we take for granted aren't really relevant to their experiences.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I've learned more about musicians from before my time from the Internet than I had ever known pre Internet. In general I think the Internet makes it easier for people to learn more about more diverse things. And it does not replace book, rather it gives one reason to read more of them because the bar for knowing about something has been raised. And so for the young people of today, the opportunity is there to learn a great deal, and it has never been this easy. SJG Dizzy Gillespie - A Night In Tunisia Live 81 [view link]
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    I was doing a lap dance once with a girl while a Led Zeppelin song was playing. I told her I always liked that band and she responded she had never heard of them. She would have been born in the nineties and they were big in the seventies, so she wasn't even around during their peak. The music that was popular 20 years before I was born was big band music. I would have recognized someone like Benny Goodman in my twenties but couldn't have named off any his hits. Most people don't know much about pop music before they were born. The biggest surprise I ever had was when I told a stripper I like old Chicago blues and she started talking about her Muddy Waters albums. I asked her how she got into that, and she told me her father was a professional blues musician. If strippers know any old music, it is usually because their parents introduced it to them.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    She's probably heard the Stones but didn't know it. Her grandparents listened to them. Her parents grew up listening to The Police or Pat Benatar or Nirvana or Snoop. In the early 90s when I was a kid, we'd visit my grandparents a couple times / year, and my grandfather would play the 1940s big band station on the AM dial... Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, etc., while driving to the store. I "heard" it, but didn't "listen" to it, had no idea who those people were until I was in my 30s and screwing around on Sirius XM, trying to find any interesting stations to save. If you showed her a pic of Jagger, she'd probably think he was somebody's meth head great grandfather. If you showed her a pic of Keith Richards, she'd probably say "oh that's the guy from Pirates of the Caribbean". If you showed her any of the others she'd probably think they were just a couple old guys who came in the day before you did.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^5 to Drew for the Kinks reference. Mega underrated band, then and even more so now. I deal with young people at work all the time with about 35% of my clientele under 30. About 5 years ago I had 3 high school students in, who were arrested for minor in possession of alcohol. Easy cases, but you always take a full history and we ended up discussing music. They asked my favorite music/band and I told then they'd never heard of them, but it was the Ramones. They had heard of them and told me there were about 100 kids in their high school totally into the Ramones with a bunch of em dressing like Joey Ramone on occasion. 2 weeks ago at R.I. Dolls an 18 year old dancer managed to name 15 Creedence songs, sadly because her grandfather loves them.....ouch.
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    Being in my early 40s it's hilarious to me that a lot of strippers know my music... Because of their dads.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    You can't call someone out of touch for not knowing about a band that was popular 30 years before they were born. It's way more out of touch with reality to expect someone to be stuck decade's ago and ignorant of how culture has changed. Unable to adapt
  • azdd
    2 years ago
    OK OK, points taken! I’m fuckin OLD! My point is that I can usually connect with dancers on something we both know about. This one just took me by surprise, which it shouldn’t have, according to all of you!
  • wallanon
    2 years ago
    "In general I think the Internet makes it easier for people to learn more about more diverse things." 20 years ago that was probably true. Now the content providers just try to gorge you on the stuff they've determined you want.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    It's tempting to roll your eyes at dancers when they don't know things that happened or was popular decades ago. Similarly, they roll their eyes when we don't know about the things they like or do. Rather than be a disdainful hipster about it, I prefer to use that generation gap as an easy source of small talk. And, honestly, sometimes it's really interesting to hear about the things that are part of their world that is not a part of mine. And I'd like to believe that sometimes the stuff I share about "times gone by" is interesting to them as well, but who knows. Anyway, it's an easy and interesting source of chit chat before or after getting dances, etc.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @whodey: this is a really good point. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, my parents' records were all I had access to, and my dad was picking what we were watching on the one TV, so I grew up with their (shitty) taste forced on me. They were threatened by all the awesome music going on at the time... Iron Maiden, Ozzy/Randy, ACDC, even Joan Jett was too subversive for them. Punk was way way out of the question, because in the early 80's the whole of news media seemed to think that punk was signally the end times. The Donahue show, Time Magazine, even Quincy(!) had anti punk fear mongering content. Kids experiences today must be very different indeed, where they can listen to whatever they want and the whole world of music is at their fingertips. Ski: well what do you know, a punker! Johnny was a Republican to the end, but you probably knew that. Funny thing about the Ramones is they occupy a special slot in the current punk world: not just for being ground breaking, iconic, and awesome, etc., but there is a weird cult of Ramones worship over the past 15 or so years. It's even got a name: Ramones-Core, and there are a zillion bands playing and even dressing and naming themselves like the Ramones. The Ramones somehow created their own genre and then Ramones fans went and packed it with their own bands. Really none of the other major punk acts ever had this going on. Kind of amazing and awful at the same time bc most of those bands suck, as you could imagine. Though there are a few good ones.
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    CMI is definitely right about it working both ways. I'm shocked when she's never heard of a band from 30 years before she was born, but when I hear about the latest rapper to be gunned down I'm like whodafuk?
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “You can't call someone out of touch for not knowing about a band that was popular 30 years before they were born“ Icee, once again your reading comprehension skills are waning. The point being, this IS generational. People my age did know musicians who were popular 30 years before they were born. Especially when they’ve reached the iconic status of the Stones. And we know a lot of current stars too. That’s not at all the case of today’s youth
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Face it - you’re officially old when you look at the current trends and you’re not participating in them or you think they’re stupid. It happens to ALL of us eventually, unless you’re one of those 55 year olds trying to dress like you’re 20 (that goes for men and women) then you just look silly. It’s funny, many of us on here are saying “how on earth do you not know who The Rolling Stones are?” Then she responds with “how on earth do you not know who The Weeknd is?” I remember a few years back Kanye West and Paul McCartney did a song together, and all these youngins’ were saying “oh this guy Paul McCartney is about to become famous thanks to Kanye.” Um, yeah, okay!
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    For the seniors in here... You didn't know the old bands and movies and whatnot from 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 years before you were in your 20s because you wanted to know them. You knew them because you had no other options. As has already been stated, you had one TV with four channels, one radio, one record player, and for some of you who are ancient, probably one phonograph. Girls in their 20s now have, since the age they've had an interest in music, been able to access anything they want within seconds. There's a reason there aren't new rock bands coming out now and selling out football stadiums like decades ago; where you used to be forced to listen to whatever bands the two rock radio stations in town gave you, now they don't listen to the radio. They don't buy records or tapes or CDs. If they purchase music, it's a song or two a la carte. They listen to Spotify and whatever else is streaming. Instead of being force fed two bands, they're listening to one song from 100 bands. Instead of a couple massive ones like the Stones or Led Zeppelin selling out stadiums, there are hundreds of little bands selling out venues that hold 2000. The times, they've been a changin'. This all reminds me of when Grandpa Simpson told Homer he used to be "with it", but then what "it" was changed. [view link]
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    Idk, I think the music/movie/cultural gap is less than it used to be like 10-20 years ago. I haven’t scrolled through TikTok in a while, but there has been music from Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane, Olivia Newton John, etc that ends up trending for a while—for example. My favorite disconnect time though at the club was during a dayshift, and it was mostly the older whiter customers in the room at the time. And the DJ plays this song for my set: [view link] And a couple of dancers get really excited and start singing along at the top of their lungs. And the customers were looking at them open mouthed with the biggest “wtf” facial expression…which I thought was pretty hilarious. Ah, fun times
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    You're full of it if you're trying to say that people in the 1979s were listening to bands from the 1930s when they were 20.
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    ^ I…agree with Icee on this 😞
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    scott baio was on the howard stern show many years back and he talked about this girl that was in his car. he's got the fm radio on and he's going through the stations and finally lands on something to listen to. after a few moments the girl asks, "who's that on the radio?" baio: "what? it's bob dylan." girl: "i've never heard of him. turned off by the reply baio goes, "get out of my car." my old fave who is about 18 years younger used to have a necklace of a miniature electric guitar. she even said that she saw lenny kravitz live at jones beach. i once played her 3-4 led zep songs and her response was she never heard of them. tip: with 99.999% of these young girls don't even bother to engage in a musical discussion.
  • EastCoaster
    2 years ago
    When dancers in the clubs ask me what I do, I tell them I am a working musician (which I am), which often leads to interesting conversations. Every once in a while, I get surprised by just how much they know about music. I have a Hawaiian-style shirt covered in prints of electric guitars, which I've worn several times while out clubbing. One time one of the girls I was talking to pointed and said, "Well, that one is a Les Paul, that one is a Flying V, and that one looks like a Stratocaster. Isn't that what Jimi Hendrix played?" I was blown away. She was easily 40 years younger than I am.
  • Fuckit77
    2 years ago
    I'm 24. Have heard the name Rolling Stones but don't know their logo nor can I name a single one of their songs. Couldn't give 2 shits about the Beatles nor do I know one of their songs either. I appreciate. Then again, I'm out of the loop of most pop culture today too. Don't know, don't care. I do appreciate Michael Jackson though. I have my own niche hobbies & interests and won't make people feel like they live on the moon if they've never heard of them or don't care for them because they're MY interests. I don't understand why you 55+ find it so mind boggling when we don't know the songs or bands you listened to while fucking in the shitty beater your parents got you in high school. Those days are long gone.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    I have a t-shirt with a likeness of a beaver with shaving cream on it's face. The caption reads "I like shaved beaver". A 22 YO asked me if that meant pussy. It's not just music. Most don't know who John Wayne is. But I don't know who today's popular singers are. Sex is still pretty universal.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Great topic instead of geriatric trick cliques opining how to fuck stripper hoe prostitutes for as little as possible. I think any trick has to click when being their trick, in order for it to stick around any length of time. I like variety, but I also like to think my regulars will come back to me and provide better service.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "The Rolling Stones haven't had a #1 song on the US charts since 1978 which was 20 years before that stripper was born." Not to pile on azdd, but this 100%. For this reason I try to steer clear of pop culture stuff when I talk to younger strippers. There is almost always common ground somewhere, just not there.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    One thing I will say about talking to very young dancers; when I tell them what it was like growing up in the 70's they all say the same thing: " I was born at the wrong time". Duderino and Icee show their ignorance. My greatest peeve about the young is that with all the history of everything available to them they don't know jack shit. I knew who Benny Goodman was, even knew who Ish kabibble was. We knew history, we knew who Beethoven and Bach was. We knew about Jazz, the depression swing bands. We jnew who Stephen Foster was. It was harder for us to get information, but we wanted to know. The young are so pathetically weak they fear things they don't know and hence do not want to learn. I have done the same job in the same area for 40 years and anyone who thinks that life is better now or that children are smarter and should be listened to is a fool. Drew I always tell people that except for seeing Pink Floyd at their height, the Ramones shows I saw were the best concerts. They epitomized my college experience in the day time. At night we wanted to get laid so it was a flowered rayon shirt, platform shoes and the fucking Bee Gees .... stayin allllllllllllllllllive.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    "One thing I will say about talking to very young dancers; when I tell them what it was like growing up in the 70's they all say the same thing: " I was born at the wrong time"." ^ next she probably told you that you were the most handsome gentleman who ever set foot in the club. Then she told you that you have the biggest dick she ever seen. "Duderino and Icee show their ignorance." ^ WRONG!!! Skibum is the most ignorant fuck on here.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    This thread is a perfect example of how out of touch boomers are. Nobody wants to know anything about the 1970s music because that decade sucked ass and needs to die. That is why all the younger generations listen to 1990s music and 1980s metal bands. That was the greatest generation of music ever!
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    "I remember a few years back Kanye West and Paul McCartney did a song together, and all these youngins’ were saying “oh this guy Paul McCartney is about to become famous thanks to Kanye.” Um, yeah, okay!" ^ lmfao shailynn
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    It helps to stay current with at least some pop culture. If she won't go down memory lane with you because she just doesn't know, then you gotta pivot to a current movie, TV show, or hot band. Either that or find a stripper in her 50s. 👵💃 Also every now and then you'll find a young stripper that's into old music or movies. My last fave, in her mid 20s, loved 80s alternative music which we had in common. We had good, long convos about it plus we both liked the same current Netflix shows.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    ^ One of my CFs loves everything about the 1980s, and probably knows more about 80s pop culture than I do, even though she wasn't even alive at that time. Then again, it seems to me that a large percentage of the people who are nostalgic for the 80s didn't actually experience the 80s.
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    Learn da new pop culture or I will dumpa loadz in your basement
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    Nothing screams ‘get off my lawn’ louder than lecturing a young person about what they don’t know from decades (and decades) gone by. Seriously, if you want to out yourself as a geriatric trick, keep doing what you do.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    "Duderino and Icee show their ignorance". Because when you were 14 back in what, 1965(?), you made it your mission to seek out swing bands from 20 years earlier. Your parents or uncles or friend's families or whomever else didn't expose you to it. You were a rebel!!! What're you rebelling against? No, not "what've you got?". You rebelled against your own!! You didn't want to listen to what was "cool" at the time, you wanted to listen to something else. So you chose the music of yesteryear, of your parents' generation... because you'd never heard that in the house... You'd get your Schwinn out of the garage, ya know, the one with the Ty Cobb rookie card stuck the spokes (wasn't Mickey Mantle, he came too late), and ride five miles in the snow, uphill both ways, to the local record store, and ask the clerk, "can you point me to what was cool 20 years ago?" If, when you were 8, or 10, or 13, or whatever, had the ability to listen to whatever the hell you wanted, from any time period, from any region on the face of the earth, and it would take a mere five seconds to access it, do you think for a second you'd choose the shit your parents' generation listened to? To sit there and call people "weak" and "ignorant" and "pathetic" because they don't listen to stuff that was popular 30 years before they were born...which is often 50+ earlier (because their music tastes are developed in their teens and 20s), is your own ignorance. Your parents' generation listened to jazz and Benny Goodman, thus you knew who they were. My dad listened to The Eagles and Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin, so I know who they were because that was playing in the house and in the car. These people have had smart phones since they were like 10; they've been listening to their own shit on headphones in the backseat of the car the whole time. They may have some exposure to what their parents listened to, but not nearly as much as the three or four generations before them... because they didn't have to. Yes, I ended a sentence with a preposition, eat shit. I will talk endless shit about millennials and those younger (hey...I'm from 1981, that's borderline Gen-X, damn it!!), but they run circles around you in regards to exposure to different types of music. Just because they don't choose to listen to Cream or know who The Yardbirds are doesn't prove ignorance. If that's the case, then it shows how stupid the rest of us are because we don't intentionally choose to listen to that Korean boy bands' entire catalog, AND have tickets to go see (insert latest "hot" performer here)'s sold out show at one of the many 1,000-person venues in our towns, AND know the 2,500 other artists they're listening to today. So maybe take The Clash record off the turntable, download a music streaming service on your phone, and go searching for a Celtic rock band made up of Malaysians who grew up in Sudan. I will give you one point though, skibum, the lack of history awareness in general is rough. A buddy married a younger girl, a teacher in fact. At a Super Bowl party years ago, they wheeled out the (then) real life most interesting man in the world, George H.W. Bush, and she asked, "who's that?" We still laugh at that years later.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Skibitchs strength comes from doing lines off his wife's lovers dick
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    No, no. Coke is too current. He intentionally seeks out stuff from the past to rebel against his generation, so on ski trips he asks around for the local opium dens.
  • FishHawk
    2 years ago
    I am not sure about those that turned 20 in the late 70’s. But as someone that turned 20 in the late 60’s. I really appreciated Jazz and the swing bands of the 30’s and 40’s. Even in 1976 I remember taking a young lad to the Monterey Jazz Festival to see Dizzy Gillespie and he enjoyed it. Good music is ageless.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    When I was in high school in the late 90s, in our cars we had CDs from bands popular in the 90s, and "classic" rock, stuff that was familiar because we were exposed to it for 15 years by our parents. Friends that had older brothers also had CDs from 80s bands... because they had regularly been exposed to it while growing up. It's completely myopic and conceited to expect people in their 20s now to be as familiar with music from 60 years ago. Any of you old farts in here, when you were in your 20s, cruising for chicks in your jalopies, were you blasting 8-tracks of the shit your grandparents listened to? If you say yes, you're a liar.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^ no stupid we weren't because it wasn't on 8-tracks asshole. I do have a collection of classical music I enjoyed in 7th grade: 16 rpm. 8 records for Beethoven's 5th. You are fucking stupid and if you say otherwise, you are a liar. Any "man" who verbally abuses the wife of another man online deserves what they get in the future.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    I concede, skibum. You win. Your knowledge and culture clearly exceeds that of anyone who was born in the 1980s or later. And I probably always knew this if I'm being honest; from what I understand, the playlist at your last swingers party included Miles Davis, Portugal's current number one rapper (can't remember his name because of my ignorance), a Brazilian prodigy flautist playing medieval Welsh tunes, and the top classic country music band from Kazakhstan. That medieval flute really gets the grandmas' booties bouncing!
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Skibitch does your wife make you wear a chastity belt and you sit outside the door while they run a train on her then you eat her out savoring each drop of cum
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    El Dude, You’re way missing the point. “Listening to” vs “being aware of” are two entirely different concepts. The Rolling Stones are iconic. I’m not expecting a 24 year old to listen to them but it’s beyond stupid to not have heard of them. When I was in high school, I certainly did not listen to Al Jolson, for example, but as a historical figure in the entertainment industry I knew who he was
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ Without a sense of history it’s difficult to understand the present , much less be able to evaluate your options for the future.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    "But as someone that turned 20 in the late 60’s. I really appreciated Jazz and the swing bands of the 30’s and 40’s." That means you were born in the late 40s so the bands from the 30s and 40s would have been your parents music that you were brought up hearing at home or in the car with them. For a stripper who is 24 now (born in 2008) the equivalent music for her would be bands from the 90s and early 2000s. I bet if you asked her about groups like Greenday, U2 or Pearl Jam she would be at least somewhat familiar with them from hearing her parents listening to them. The Rolling Stones would have been either her grandparents, or more likely great grandparents, music since her parents were likely born in the late 80s and her grandparents were born around 1970is. Her great grandparents would have been teenagers at the height of the Rolling Stones success in the mid to late 1960s. By the time you were 24 how much did you listen to the music your great grandparents were listening to when they were teenagers? For someone Fishhawks age that would be bands that saw the height of their popularity around the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century since that was 40+ years before he was born, not the big band era of the 30s and 40s he mentioned.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    Motorhead, you're moving the goal post. Nobody said anything about never hearing of the Rolling Stones. The original post was about the girl who didn't think she knew their songs. My original response to that was she'd probably heard them, but didn't know what it was... because it was her grandparents' music. But again, I have to concede. The AARP crowd is more cultured and knowledgeable about music than anyone born post-1980. You guys didn't have music of your parents' and grandparents' generations forced upon you because those were the only options at the time, with just one radio in the house. You sought that stuff out - rather than watching The Lone Ranger, or Adam West run around in blue tights, or playing kick the can, 3rd grade you begged your moms to play Cab Calloway and The Andrews Sisters records because "all the kids were doing it!". But these kids today, dag nabbit, they just can't be bothered to pay attention to what was popular FIFTY-FIVE years ago! Ungrateful assholes, and their tens of millions of songs they've had available at their fingertips their entire lives. They should have listened to 1960s Brit rock before anything else!
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    We need an lol button
  • JackKingov
    2 years ago
    I was wearing a black T-shirt with the words "The Twilight Zone" in that iconic jagged font that's used in the intro to the TV show. A petite young dancer stopped me to say "ooh, I love your shirt!" Impressed with such a young girl's knowledge of classic television programs, I said, "oh, cool, are you a fan?" "Oh yeah, Twilight is my favorite movie. I'm into vampires!" "No, that's not... y'know what? Me too." And then I bit her.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “Stand by Me” was on Turner Classic Movies last night. It seems like it just came out yesterday. Dammit I’m officially really old
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    I went into a coffee shop a while ago and the girl behind the counter was wearing a "Ramones" concert t-shirt. As I was paying, I said "You know, I saw The Ramones in concert a bunch of times a long time ago. I think it's great that you like them, but it's possible that all the guys in that band passed away before you were born." To which she replied, "This is a band?" I thought it was funny. I told her to look them up and she might like their music, or get a kick out of it. I was wrong, by the way. "Tommy Ramone" passed away in 2014, and the coffee shop girl was older than eight.
  • ATACdawg
    2 years ago
    I am glued to the Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville, Sirius 024) channel. Literally! I super glued all the dials and buttons so nobody could screw with them... I don't know who these Bach and Beethoven guys are. Are they like Hall and Oates
  • ATACdawg
    2 years ago
    ...or Simon and Garfunkel? 🤷
  • mahatmakanejeeves
    2 years ago
    An ex- in the 80s thought it was "Simon N. Garfunkel" and asked why he used his middle initial.
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    To keep piling on, the Stones were "Dad Rock" when I was a kid... in the 1980s.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    This thread is hilarious! I am sitting in a restaurant next to a college. The food is great and they are playing 80s music. Does anyone here think that there would have been 1940s music playing in a restaurant next to a college in the 80s?
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "Nothing screams ‘get off my lawn’ louder than lecturing a young person about what they don’t know from decades (and decades) gone by." + 1,000, LOL. Maybe it's because I have kids, but I'm acutely aware of the pop culture disconnect between me and someone in her 20s. Music is relevant to the people who were exposed to it during certain periods of their lives. Treating it as something akin to understanding the Civil War or the Declaration of Independence is just plain silly. When I was a kid working at the family business, every Sunday morning my father would put on the local oldies radio station for Elvis hour. To him the music held great significance, but if I could have I would have sledge hammered that fucking radio into little pieces. I had no connection to Elvis nor did I found his music to be anything but boring. Years later, when I did a travel job in Memphis, a few people asked me if I visited Graceland while I was out there. Why the fuck would I do that? If I had been born 20 years later, I might not even know who he was. It's just the nature of the things.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    When bitching about their elders here the young guys assume sounding like a five year old girl makes em seem tough.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I agree with Rick about cultural significance. With a lot of Mexican Americans out west for example. You get girls whose favorite songs are out of the 1950s. Cruising and listening to oldies and old soul music is a cultural rite with a lot of significance still. Think something out of American Graffiti.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    A cultural rite? Wtf, it’s not a rite (write or right) but a cultural leaning. Youve got this victim culture dialed into your brain it overflows to all other facets.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Cruising to oldies is victim culture? Fuck off bigot
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^worst bigot on the site.
  • Array
    2 years ago
    I just tell the strippers I’m not here for the music. Except that one time the stripper was dancing to Ina Gadda da Vida…
  • WhoopWhoop
    2 years ago
    I went to the famous [for mud wrestling] Hollywood Tropicana a few times. A beautiful actress wannabe danced to Carmina Burana. I was in St. John's, Newfoundland, and went to a small club. The girls danced to sea chanties.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion