tuscl

OT: Fast Food - What's Your Guilty Pleasure?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I know there are several road and air warriors like myself here, and I'm betting if you're anything like me, while out on the road I always don't make the best eating decisions because of time constraints or just not wanting to sit in a restaurant alone for the 4th consecutive night, instead going thru a Wendy's drive-thru thinking "why the fuck am I doing this!?!"

So what's your guilty pleasure?

Mine are:

In And Out - since I'm an east coast guy anytime I am out west I need one trip to In And Out. Not two, just one, so it remains special to me. I just get 2 cheeseburgers, fries and sometimes a milkshake, and in that meal I have more calories than I have the rest of the week combined.

Popeyes - there are no Popeyes near me so that's a big deal, I usually stop in one when I am in Detroit or near DC/Baltimore. Last time I went into one in Detroit and the entire kitchen was enclosed with bulletproof glass. They even had a revolving window inside the store to serve you. I've been all over and had never seen that. I love their biscuits, fries and any chicken or fried shrimp they have. I immediately feel like shit after eating here.

Captain Ds - these are rare, again none near where I live. I just get fried fish and their hushpuppies are to die for. I actually feel like shit before I even step into the door.

Moes - an actual decent taco place spreading out to several cities. I can actually eat somewhat healthy for fast food here and I don't feel like shit after eating here. I like Moes better than Chipotle.

36 comments

• jackslash
    9 years ago
    About 5 years ago I received a discount coupon for Popeyes. I went to one on Telegraph Road in Detroit, and I encountered the bulletproof glass and the revolving window. Although no armed robbery took place while I was there, I have never gone back.

I have now cut out all fast food, whether in good neighborhoods or bad.

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    9 years ago
    If you're in the Rhode Island area, then locate either a New York System Hot Dogs or Spike's Hot Dogs. Both good, but very different, weiner joints.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I actually stopped going out to fast food

But

Taco bell, pizza hut and KFC was my spot
  • RTP
    9 years ago
    Bojangles Bacon egg and cheese biscuit complete with Bo Rounds is an awesome choice.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    White Castle there aren't any in fl sometimes maybe once in 6 months I'll stop in a Krystal burgers are the closest to WC but not quite the same
  • ime
    9 years ago
    I never eat fast food anymore but Chick-fil-a would be my preference.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I look for Mexican and Asian buffets these day's for my guilty pleasuring
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Popeyes, White Castle and pretty much any decent or better pizza.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I stay away from all fast foods and processed foods (as well as anything listing high fructose corn syrup) as much as I can, so I'm especially guilty when I treat myself to a Burger King Whopper and fries. When I'm on the road, that's what I'll indulge in for lunch.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    In N Out Burger. Best fast food on the planet. Chick Fil A is second. Nothing else I care about.
  • DivorcedDude
    9 years ago
    I eat a lot healthier these days, but when I'm traveling or if I'm in the mood, here are some of my favorites:

Long John Silver's or Captain D's, Chick-fil-a, Baja Fresh or Moe's, Popeyes, Dunkin' Donuts bacon, egg, and cheese croissant or donuts, or Bojangles bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. Oh, and pizza.

• Missionary
    9 years ago
    Panda Express!
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    I generally hate fast food. It grosses me out, even if what I'm eating tastes alright. Because I know it's made with overly processed 'food' and a lot of it isn't really food anyway. The worst is McDonald's. Ugh. I never eat their burgers. I haven't in like 5 years. Me eating a burger from there = me needing a buncha pepto bismol like no more than 10 mins later. My body doesn't even digest it properly. Ew.

Guilty pleasures: Wendy's, it's not as gross as many other fast food places but I can still only finish like 3/4 of their JR cheeseburgers without thinking, 'ew wtf am I eating'? But I do eat theit spicy chicken ceaser salads and fries.

Taco Bell's fiesta potatoes. I just love potatoes. But I will NEVER eat their beef.

Popeyes rice and beans.

Sometimes Long John Silver's, if I'm in the mood for cheap seafood that I have to question its authenticity.

• rickdugan
    9 years ago
    I hate most fast food, but the two that I still think are decent are Chick Fil A and Wendy's.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Jim Gaffigan does a comedy but saying nobody wants to be caught at a fast food restaurant. It's like being ashamed of going to McDonalds if you see a friend there.

Friend:"Hey what are you doing here?"

Jim Gaffigan: "Oh I wouldn't eat this stuff, I'm here to meet a hooker. Yeah, he should be here by now!"
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ yeah just like the people in this thread "I would never eat at McDonald's - but I eat here, here and here" - ah dud - all that shit is the same!!!!! Lol

• crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Spangels

In n Out Burgers

Captain D's

Last time i was at Captain D"s i saw some DD's
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    carne asada burritos....available everywhere out here
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    One of the funniest things about Mickey Dees and Walmart I that nobody ever admits going there yet they sell more shit than all of their closest competitors combined.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I can't handle fast food any more. Every time I do, I get 2/3rds of the way through the burger and dump the rest and ask myself "Why did you do this again". I truthfully think you can get a better burger at the Waffle House and it is cheaper but no fries.

I don't know if 5 Guys is classified as fast food or not but nobody beats there burgers at any price.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    I will also prop 5 Guys burgers and fries! Never frozen beef (their stores don't even have a freezer on premises!), lots of fresh toppings (every burger is custom) and fabulous fries (with malt vinegar and salt the easy God intended). I also like Smashburger, which is a lot like 5 Guys with optional gluten free buns.

If I'm in a Mex mood, Moe's, Chipotle or Baja Fresh are all pretty good.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Meat72 lol
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    Waffle House -- the All-Star breakfast is awful for you but frickin delicious.

If it has to have a drive-up window to qualify as fast food, I would say Jack-in-the-Box or Portillo's.
  • sinclair
    9 years ago
    It is funny how a bunch of people chime in how they hate fast food and how horrible it is. Why bother to post when you are not answering shailynn's question?

I love me a burger from Jack in the Box, Hardee's, and Carl Jrs with a large Dr. Pepper to wash it down.

I usually enjoy the special menu items that Taco Bell does such as the current Steak Boss Wraps. I ate at a really good fast food Tex-Mex chain called Taco Mayo out in Oklahoma earlier this year.

Jimmy John's and Cousin's have great sandwiches.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I love Carl's Jr.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Taco Bell too!

SJG
  • whodey
    9 years ago
    I guess I am not as picky as most of you with regards to where I eat. I don't mind swinging through a drive thru when I've had a busy day and I just want to get homeand don't feel like cooking. I'd say I probably eat fast food 2 or 3 times a week.

I usually eat at Skyline Chili at least once a week. I also swing into Jersey Mike's whenever I get the chance.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Hey Juice, you got the punchline!

"He" should be here by now.

Like seeing a male hooker is better than eating at McDonalds. Lol! Gaffigan is my favorite comedian. I saw him with his family swimming in a pool at a resort two years ago, and he was in the pool with a long sleeve shirt on. Lmfao!
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    Since my town doesn't have a Popeye's, I have to eat there *once* whenever I spend a couple or few days in a large Midwestern city (e.g. Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis) -- two-piece dark & spicy, of course. When I'm in SoCal (or Austin), I must hit In "N Out Burger once -- animal style, naturally. On my annual pilgrimage to Texas, a visit to Taco Cabana is necesario, por supuesto.

On the other hand, IMO White Castle is vile (my crew calls them "ratburgers"), as is Long John Silver, where the fried fish tastes like the fried chicken tastes like the French fries tastes like the . . .
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Ha Ha Ha!

I love Taco Bell. But we also have lots of real Mexican taco places, and I like them too.

SJG
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    @Rech: OMG....I used the term "Taco Hell" as an aside 30 years ago around a coworker I had the hots for. She thought it was so funny that we ended up dating. Those were the days...when you could date a coworker!
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Taco Bell has been accused of putting in meat filler stuff. I don't know if there is any basis to that charge. But I like it still.

Yes, we have to be careful dealing with coworkers. But the other way to look at this that women have the right to be employed without being harassed.

20 years ago I was the target, I feel, of a kind of reverse harassment. Lots of our office worker girls would dress really sexy. And I enjoyed looking at them.

But then we hired for their group this new supervisor from Stanford. She picked up on this and decided that I needed to be morally reformed. She was bringing Stanford sensibilities to the work place. She did not understand that in such environments the women often want to be looked at. They aren't there just to get a paycheck.

But she interrogate them and put out the line, "Unless you affirm that this Mr. SJG is out of line, then you are contributing to the degradation of all women."

It got ugly. But eventually everyone figured out that this was all coming from this Stanford educated supervisor and not the women themselves, and so she got axed at the next layoff.

But by then I had moved on to a better position, with an internal start up group.

I have since learned that if I want that kind of voyeurism, then I need to go to a strip club or a Viet Coffee Shop.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    P.S.

THe women from that group that were supposedly complaining were always extremely nice to me. Even after the supposed complaint was relayed to me.

So it took a while for me to figure out that it was all coming from the supervisor.

She, FWIW, was not only a recent Stanford grad, she was also Orthodox Jewish, and she dressed in an extreme peasant style. I have since learned, well how else to put it, that Orthodox Jewish women often believe that visual sex appeal in public should be eliminated.

The girls in her group were working class and some ethnic. They wore high heels, mini-dresses, and lots of makeup.

So you see there could be a problem, and especially with me added in to the scenario.

SJG
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    White Castle is a bit of an acquired taste. I find people either love them or hate them. Like Harold & Kumar, I get a craving about twice a year and have to go.

I do like the fact that Taco Bell constantly introduces new items. They may not stay around for long - but it's not the same old stuff. ((Well, it kind of is, just repackaged)
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Whenever I hit the Twin Cities, I have to hit White Castle. The last time I hit one was in Indianapolis though, and my stomach still hasn't forgiven me for that. Another place I always try to hit in Indianapolis is Steak 'N' Shake -- easily one of the best burgers I've had. (Just be sure to skip any of the Steak 'N' Shake burgers you might find in Wal-Fart's frozen-food aisle -- damn nasty shit.) For Tex Mex fast food, I enjoy Taco John's, and for pizza, I prefer Happy Joe's (hands down the best taco pizza I've ever had), even though it's the competition.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I used to be a Jimmy John's kind of guy, but since they put in a Jersey Mike's a half mile away from home, I quit going to Jimmy John's (except for when I'm with one of my friends, he loves them and it's not like it's terrible). I've been a big fan of Chipotle going back years. And here in Nebraska, Runza is an institution. Oddly enough, they even have one in Lawrence, Kansas, which I discovered the last time I made the trip to the Out House there.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion