tuscl

OT: Philanthropy

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
Most of us on here waste alot of money and time on strippers and strip clubs. Do any of you put aside some of your money or time toward any philanthropic causes?

37 comments

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    I gave $250 to charity last year, about 7/10ths of 1% of my income. I hope to do more later in life, but want to get better established first.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    So Dugly makes about 35K a year. Why am I not surprised.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Oops, typo: meant 7/10ths of .1%. Thanks for catching that. Made about $350k last year. About the same as the previous year.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Lol. Sorry Dugly, right there in black and white. The truth comes out.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Right because I've never made typos before, couldn't be this time.:-)
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Nobody buys it Dugly, just like nobody bought LMN. Even if it was true that'd just be even more pathetic. I donated more money than that when I was a teenager.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    "Nobody" jestie? I think you "may" be projecting your oppositional PD view of the world onto the rest of the board.

Although I'm sure that is just a mind boggling number to a janitor such as yourself, anyone here with a decent job who had a good year in the market last year, knows it's not super hard to achieve that much.

But continue your jealousy. I love seeing you turn green! :-)
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Back to philanthropy though. I may give more this year. The stuff with the NSA really makes me livid. I think donating to those bringing legal challenges against and others responsible would be a worthy. Bill Gates seems to have malaria and starving covered already.
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    I do St. Baldricks (donate my hair for child cancer patients) right now. I usually give a few hundred to my alma mater annually to help with scholarships for students from poor families. In the future, I'd like to get involved in suicide prevention.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Groups fighting human trafficking is another type of charity I've thought about giving too, but haven't done much research on.

If anyone does give to groups like that and has names please share.

• jester214
    10 years ago
    Lol, I guess we really did get the truth if Dugly's pulling out the psychobabble and nonsense insults.

3 maybe 4% of households make 250K+ a year. Call it 3.5% and that's households not individuals, get's even smaller if you tack on another 100K as an individual. Yeah it's "easy". Lol, yeah 35K sounds about right.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Think you were the one who started the insults here, jestie, so I guess I hit pretty close to the mark on you with "janitor", huh? :-)

Along the same lines = I just love jestie's inability to do even basic logic. I said "not super hard" and jestie equivocates that to "easy" so he can argue against something I never said. Such a sly guy. Thought nobody would catch on.

Just remember, jestie - there is always a real time test we can do. Challenge is always open to you anytime you are prepared to stop running. :-) Or are you too scared? *bawk* *bawk* *bawk*
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I have no reason to believe Dougster is lying about making 350K, but doctors aren't even making up to that.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I donate to DAV, but enough about me
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    It wasn't all earned income. A big part of it was capital gains.

But anyway. The bottom line is that jestie can put his theories about me to the test at any time. I am always willing to demonstrate when he is ready to stop running. I've challenged him about four times now on this and he ducks every time. He'll try and talk a tough game, but when it comes to the possibility he could be proven wrong, and just runs like the little girl that he is.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Quick summation:

A. Dugly is full of shit

B. Dugly is in the top 1% or 2% of individual earners in this country, which apparently isn't "super hard" to do. Gave only $250 to charity because he has to "establish" himself. Has no grasp of how much money people make and spends a large portion of free time trolling a strip club forum.

Hmm... Hard to decide.

* I equated easy to no super hard, I can admit a mistake shouldn't have used quotes. The obvious point stands.

** Dugly I don't care what vague "challenge" you offer, it wouldn't prove shit to me. Just like LMN none of it meshes.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    1-2% is not "super hard" jestie. Heck 1 in 50 people do it routinely! I would put the "super hard" bar at .1% whatever income that comes out to.

And I do have a good idea what people I work with make from earned income and from capital gains. Perhaps, for you and your peers it is "super hard" by contrast, however. But, no prob, I understand an art history degree doesn't land you a "super high" paying job. :-)

Next: it wasn't a "vague" challenge jestie. You have stated before that you don't think I could even put a $100 trade through in the stock market. I claim I can put one of several hundreds of thousands through.

So how do we resolve it? Well, trades leave a record, which is anonymous. Since you likely have almost no money to invest, you may not have studied things sufficiently to be aware of this, so let this be some education for you.

So the challenge is this - I put in a trade of an odd ball number of shares that *you* specify at an oddball price *you* specify. On something like GOOGL. Now according to you, I can't do even 1 share. But you name something like 317 shares at $563.43 (or whatever makes sense at the time). Then we verify from the tape that trade was made, and you, once and for all, are proven wrong and it is time for you to finally shut up with your stupid theories. And get treatment for your oppositional PD.

So let me know when you are ready to stop running and face up to the challenge, and we'll do it. My guess: Oh, about never. :-)
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    *** SLAM DUNKED THAT FAGGOT THE JESTIE-GIRL ***
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I got 11 nieces n nephews so I donate time, energy, and money on them.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    I tend to support local charitable institutions. I make regular donations to both the Food Bank and to the Womens' Emergency Shelter in the small city nearest to my rural home.

A good friend of mine, a medical doctor who retired at age 66, started volunteering for Medecins Sans Frontieres upon his retirement. I admire my friend's commitment to improving conditions for some of the world's most miserable refugees so I have started to support MSF as well.

My doctor friend presses me to retire for good from the oil patch and to join him with MSF. He tells me that my trades skills would be just as valuable to MSF as are his medical skills.

I am not the altruistic saint that my friend is........a cheque to MSF is all that I am prepared to do.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I help single mothers.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Moto-And God bless your heathen soul.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I make contributions to my church and some charities. I also volunteer in a couple organizations. But I spend much more money and time in strip clubs.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    I do most of my charitable giving through my Diocese, since most of it goes back directly to local causes like soup kitchens, homeless shelters, Catholic schools in places where good schools are desperately needed, etc. The rest I give directly to local drives with direct and measurable impact.

The problem with most large scale charities is that too much of the money is spent on things like administration, reach out, research and other indirect expenses.

And, of course, I give money to lots of single mothers over any given year. ;)
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    @rickdugan, all -- use charity navigator for information on how much the larger charities spend on overhead. An advantage of larger charities is that, if run well, they can have a bigger impact.

With the exception of youngsters (who need something to open and play with) I forego gifts at Christmas and just give about $250 to $500 to causes my loved ones support. I always find the stats on charity navigator before choosing the specific charity though. I also give for myself to the homeless, humane treatment of animals, and scientific research.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    Calling a person a faggot is small time compared to questioning someone's income huh.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    RickyBoy: "The problem with most large scale charities is that too much of the money is spent on things like administration, reach out, research and other indirect expenses."

Actually a good point (guess RickyBoy is making his 1 in 20 quota). It is pretty appalling how much ends up in the hands of the needing in some cases. I've seen as little as 10%. Some are also complete scams meant only to sustain themselves or divert the money complete to towards crooks.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    The United Way is akin to an organized crime syndicate. They extort money from workers by giving kickbacks to managers who then force their underlings to contribute.

And the whole Breast Cancer Awareness thing the NFL does? Well, for a $50 jersey, the NFL takes 50% of the profit. Administration costs are a big chunk of what's left, and 35 cents ends up going to cancer research.

Most charity CEO's should be in jail.

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I donate to Charity twice a month. She gives great VIP's.
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    My ATF is a non-profit. My contributions disappear like smoke in a strong wind.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    I used to donate monthly to World Vision; Food for the Poor; St. Jude; and for about 3 years in the late 2000s I was helping to support a young couple where the young husband (early 20s) was studying full time in seminary.

I used to make more $$$ back then; so now I’ve cut back and just donate $100/mo to Food for the Poor.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    I've donated to the Wikimedia Foundation (which owns Wikipedia) in the past.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Dugly is such an expert in charities from the whole $250 last year "through" work.

To answer the OP (sincerely sorry I highjacked Sinclair) I routinely give to the American Cancer Society and have been giving to Wounded Warrior for a couple of years. I try to give money to a couple of food banks when I remember and have occasionally given my time. There's been some rows in Raleigh about feeding the homeless in public parks and I've said I'd like to help with that but haven't made it happen yet.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Right, because only an "expert" could know that, huh, jestie? :-) One of these days you might actually argue against something I really said. I won't hold my breath though. :-)
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    I did take some of the stuff I don't need to GoodWill, worth over $200 and under $400. But that's just because it is not Tax season, it is simply just trying to get stuff off the place.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Like motorhead I focus my charitable efforts on helping single mothers get by. Also when particularly desperate, I occasionally fuck a 6 or 7 to spread around the wealth more fairly.
  • Otto22
    10 years ago
    In addition to my tithe to church the wife and I have established a scholarship fund at our alma mater. I enjoy the thank you notes we get from the recipients.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion