tuscl

Coronavirus

mark94
Arizona
Monday, January 27, 2020 8:07 AM
This is going to be a big deal. Unlike other contagions, this virus can be spread for 2 weeks before any symptoms appear. During the 3 weeks that local authorities had to wait before getting the okay to go public, 5 million people traveled out of the affected area for lunar new year. A month from now, there may be millions, not thousands, infected. The long incubation period, and timing around high-travel holiday, is something new.

91 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    I don't think it's going to turn into anything on the scale of the 1918 flu in terms of mortality. I also don't think it has the potential to be the global pandemic that causes societal collapse, etc. Most of the deaths are among the very old, very young, and already sick. They are also primarily occurring in places with insufficient medical infrastructure. I'm paying attention, because things can change quickly. But I'm far from packing out to my remote bugout location.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    We need a larger influx of foreigners .... open borders have no negatoves. .........
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    With past contagions we bit the bullet - I'm a bit concerned we may perhaps have our guard down a bit too-much this time around
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The most immediate impact in the US is going to be on air travelers with a cold, flu, or allergies. Prepare to be examined by the TSA.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    -->"Prepare to be examined by the TSA." Am I the only one who got a little bit of a boner at this statement? Anyone else? Just me?
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Anyway, I remember during the last scare, a buddy and I debated whether we should stop SCing for a couple of months; in the end, we didn't change anything. I thought that might have been SARS but that appears to have been around 2003, and I vaguely remember the last scare being around the early 2010s... anyone remember what that was?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    As of right now, this isn't even vaguely affecting my day-to-day, including strip clubs. I'm paying attention, but not worried.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Do I need to drink a different beer now?
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I have stage 3 COPD and have been hospitalized 3 times in the last 2 years for pneumonia. The last time was last month. I'm also 78 years old but I am not going to live my remaining years in fear. I am not going to stay at home except on the days that my CF comes over. Flu be damned!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    twentyfive asked "Do I need to drink a different beer now?" Yes. Not because of a virus, but because Corona is a shitty beer.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Yet I like it better than the shitty beer that you like 😂
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    ^^^ He's not wrong.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    Add this corona flu to the list after bird flu.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    You guys are all going to feel stupid when the reports start trickling in that people are turning into zombies.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    ^^^ I currently hold that opinion regarding large swaths of people right now...
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Stock up on zombie spray
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    And we’re supposed to trust these guys ? “Chinese state media and a government official spread a false image they claimed showed a newly constructed hospital building in Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. The image actually shows a modular apartment building more than 600 miles away in Qingdao, China, and was taken from an online listing.”
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    A new mathematical model reveals that zombies, if left unchecked, could wipe out humanity within 100 days. A new article in a peer-reviewed student journal finds that the zombie hordes would take Earth's population down to a mere 273 survivors in 100 days. we're in deep shit boys To help you prepare for a zombie apocalypse, I did a little digging and put together the following list of survival essentials. 1)A zombie-proof car. Most people think big when they think of attempting to survive an attack of hungry flesh-eating undead. ... 2)Water. ... 3)Car fresheners. ... 4)A toolbox. ... 5)Blankets. ... 6)Food. ... 7)A baseball bat. now you are all set
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    No ninja sword? Poser!
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Me practicing my anti-zombie skills: [view link]
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    No, I don't trust the Chinese in terms of transparency, but I still don't see this turning into a global pandemic.
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    Caronavirus deaths thus far = 80. Regular flu deaths since October 2019 = up to 20,000. WTF everyone worried about? Political bullshit is what this is. Hey, look at this shiny object over here ! The American people are simply uneducated about this shit and the government capitalizes on our fucking stupidity!
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    I have news for everyone. Bananas are fucking deadly. It is a well know fact, by intelligent people, that 100 percent of people who consumed bananas in 1865 are fucking Dead. Thus, if you value your life, stop eating bananas.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    If by 'government' you mean 'media', then I think that's more correct.
  • Assmanjoe
    4 years ago
    Its not the flu. Its not ebola. Its not as deadly as either but it is NEW to science, so obviously there is no cure/vaccine, it is highly contagious and it has killed almost a hundred people. Thats why people are freaking out, because it spawned out of some freakshow live animal market with no warning. Its very similar to SARS, which was kind of a dud as far as pandemics go. Chinas gotten much better at disease control (and population control thanks to dystopian-style surveillance network) since then, mostly because of their experience with SARS. My moneys on this one being a dud, too. Throughout history humanitys averaged about one pandemic per century and the last one was 1918 spanish flu so we are definitely due.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Damn - I better start taking my vitamin-c
  • TrentonPhantom
    4 years ago
    I visited an AMP last week and now it hurts when I pee. Very concerned. What clubs will everyone be at this week?
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    @25: I thought the most interesting man in the world drank Dos Equus, not Corona.....
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    @dedertscrub:. If this thing is viral, it is by definition resistant to antibiotics, which are only effective on bacterial infections.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    4 years ago
    [view link] There may be many ancient viruses and bacterium locked away in glaciers, and these could come back to bite us in the arse as glaciers melt due to climate change. The article points to an anthrax outbreak which recently happened in a remote part of Siberia, as the permafrost thawed it released the contagion from infected reindeer carcasses frozen for decades when the climate of that area was considerably cooler.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Stay away from permafrost thawed reindeer - got it! - thanks for the tip
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    this could be a WMD germ-warfare that escape in china backyard by accident, hope i am wrong, it could get ugly fast
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    when china ordered a new hospital asap, i know this was not for the common flu victims
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @ATAC dawg maybe I need to switch my beer brand
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    dont switch to that cheap chinese beer , everything from china is toxic
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Wait... the commie Chinese government could be lying about what is going on, i seriously doubt that.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    lol
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I’m staying in
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    It's not a WMD.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    Wuhan has two laboratories linked to Chinese bio-warfare program
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    but if you believe the virus came from people eating bats and snake at a open market, i got some swamp land in florida for sale
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    A Chinese couple was caught last year trying to ship a similar, or identical, coronavirus from a Canadian government bio lab to the Wuhan bio lab. Just a coincidence, I’m sure.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    yes , only a coincidence , maybe it came from the same fish market they say started the virus too
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    maybe a chinese girl was giving a hand job at the Lab and he dropped the test tube
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Breaking news from today Charles Lieber, the chair of Harvard University's Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, has been arrested and criminally charged with making "false, fictitious and fraudulent statements" to the U.S. Defense Department about his ties to a Chinese government program to recruit foreign scientists and researchers. The Justice Department says Lieber, 60, lied about his contact with the Chinese program known as the Thousand Talents Plan, which the U.S. has previously flagged as a serious intelligence concern. He also is accused of lying about about a lucrative contract he signed with China's Wuhan University of Technology.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    Lieber works in nanotechnology and nanoscience, not virology. It's not a WMD.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s a prediction. The Coronavirus provides a perfect excuse for raids on Asian Massage Parlors and claims of sex trafficking. Virtue signaling to the nth degree.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Later on in the show, we will show you how to prevent the deep state from scanning your brain, using only a roll of toilet paper and some aluminum foil. LOLOLOLOLOL
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @assmanjoe “ Its not the flu. Its not ebola. Its not as deadly as either“ The stat I heard over the weekend was that the mortality rate of the flu is <1% and that coronavirus is 3-4%. If that stat is right, it’s multiple times more deadly than the flu. Obviously, the exposure so far is fairly contained and the number of deaths is far less than people who die of the flu every year. I think that is consistent with what you were saying. 👍🏼
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Post got cut off ... The stat I heard over the weekend was that the mortality rate of the flu is <1% and coronavirus is 3-4% making it multiple times more deadly than the flu. Less people are dying because the flu has more widespread exposure and kills many many more people each year. I think that is consistent with what you were saying. 👍🏼
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    This is weird. Post keeps getting cut off in my view.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ the deep state is trying to keep the facts from getting out
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    @Jimmy: Are you by chance using the "greater than" symbol? Your sentence looked looked like you might be. For whatever reason, that symbol will always end your edit.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    The> hytff
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Huh. Didn't do it to me. Other folks have reported that, so maybe it's the particular flavor of operating system.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Ah. That’s it. Thanks. Here was what I was trying to write: The stat I heard over the weekend is that the mortality rate of the flu is less than 1%. The mortality rate of coronavirus is 3-4% making it many times more deadly than the flu. The exposure of the flu many many times outweighs that if corona virus and the absolute number of deaths from flu is many many times that of coronavirus. I think that is consistent with what assman said, just wanted to clarify how “deadly” it is. Right now, the risk of being exposed is limited for those not traveling to China.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @skibum “ We need a larger influx of foreigners .... open borders have no negatove” Typical troll post. It’s all the libruls’ fault. Please tell us how a wall between us and Mexico will stop people from buying a plane ticket and visiting China.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    ^^^ Agree with both posts.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The direct effect on the US will be small. However, this is going to isolate China for several months while the contagion plays out. This will have a significant ripple effect on the world economy.
  • CrimsonCaravan
    4 years ago
    The Chinese government recently allocated 9 billion USD to combat the coronavirus. It's not a big deal anywhere else other than China. The Chinese government is notorious for lying and secrecy so I wouldn't be surprised if the situation in Wuhan is worse than they actually say it is
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Thing is getting around [view link] There are currently 7,186 confirmed cases worldwide, including 169 fatalities. Infected countries: Thailand 14 Japan 11 Singapore 10 Hong Kong 8 Taiwan 8 Macau 7 Malaysia 7 Australia 7 United States 5 France 5 South Korea 4 Germany 4 UAE 4 Canada 3 Vietnam 2 Nepal 1 Cambodia 1 Sri Lanka 1 Finland 1 CCP tracker [view link] Infected: 7711 Suspected: 12167 Recovered: 124 Dead: 170
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The health minister of Thailand has admitted they are unable to control the disease. Thailand is the most popular travel destination for people from Wuhan. Over 22,000 visited Thailand from Wuhan in the month of January.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    the chinese are all over the world, spreading sickness and cheap products
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    there are more chinese restaurants in america than mcdonalds..... true fact, i do like egg rolls
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    there is live stream on the internet a coronavirus out break maps, it shows the world map with red dots of the virus infected cities, it has death and infected count too, a graph show parabolic infection rate world wide. hope this helps
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    You're a rare and unique breed of stupid if you believe any of the official reports from mainstream Chinese sources. Those are all scrubbed and sanitized by the oppressive Chinese government. Nor do I wholly accept the tabloid reports of hospital hallways lined with the dead and dying, and corpses in the streets. I would watch infection rates in ither countries. More important than this novel coronavirus itself, is how conveniently the scare swept all mention of the revolution in Hong Kong from the news, AND giving the Chi-comm government carte blanche to use any means necessary to break up any peaceable assembly.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Wow you actually said something smart did you think that up yourself?
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    Coronavirus update....... US records first human-to-human transmission as WHO declares global emergency..... the good new is that is it not as deadly if your a healthy adult
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    WHO has declared a global emergency now. The new virus has officially sickened more people in China than SARS did, although SARS killed 10% of the people who contracted it.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    ^^^ I think more than 10%, a lot more, of the people who contracted SARS would die. That is what finally makes the virus peter out. SJG
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    They have now discovered bird flu in Wuhan ( transmittable to humans ) in addition to coronavirus. Private health clinics are now over capacity across China and turning patients away. Ex-pats, from all countries, are rushing to leave China before there are no flights available. This is especially true for ex-pats with children. What a mess.
  • NinaBambina
    4 years ago
    It is reminding a lot of the hysteria of the swine flu which ended up being a pretty weak flu. This one probably is as well. It doesn't even have all the symptoms of the flu. Its mortality rate is very low.
  • gawker
    4 years ago
    There’s a lot of people living in China. If my math is right, with 11,000 infected, chances are about 0.00000733% of the population has got it.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Update: There are now 400 million people living under some form of quarantine in China. But, I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Ya, turns out, tuscl is as good a place to find educated advice on potential epidemics, as it is to get financial advice and find incisive political discussion. Shocker!
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    Just FYI for a healthy adult it's not really dangerous. The frail elderly and very young are most at risk.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    I’ve been to Wuhan, China, but it was in 2016. You won’t catch the virus from reading my stripper jokes.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    As long as the people who die from this virus stay dead, I'm not worrying about it.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I switched my beer to Schultz so I should be ok.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Today’s numbers: 64000 cases 1400 deaths 1700 medical workers infected. The primary thing protecting us is the Pacific Ocean. Yes, medical workers are at greater risk for their proximity to infected patients but the fact that they can’t protect themselves while knowing what they are dealing with is disturbing. Ebola professionals don’t get infected like this. Not due professionals treating the flu.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    “Nor due...”
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Fuck. Where is the edit button? “Nor do...”
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    In the US, it’s a race to develop a vaccine and cure before the virus reaches our shore en masse. It sounds like those are about a year away so next winter will be critical.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Pleaser Shoes USA gets all its supplies, like Acrylic resin, from China. If that supply is interrupted, not more stripper shoes! SJG The Mentors: Sex Slave [view link]
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    -->"I’ve been to Wuhan, China, but it was in 2016. You won’t catch the virus from reading my stripper jokes." I'm staying off your threads for the next 3 months, just in case.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    could the virus get into the acrylic resin? Could you get it from a stripper digging her heels into you when she wants to squeeze tight? SJG
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The 1,000-bed hospital constructed in about a week to handle the Covid-19 outbreak in Wuhan, China, opened its doors about 13 days ago, or around Feb 03, has already experienced a massive water leak that has flooded hallways,
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    hospital constructed in a about a week? Got any pictures of it? SJG Squatting in high heels [view link] Wireless Remote Control Bullet Vibe [view link] Peter Frampton Do You Feel Like We Do (2019, quite interesting) [view link] Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard It Through The Grapevine [view link] Amy Winehouse/Paul Weller - I heard it through the grapevine.Hootynanny 2006. [view link] [view link] Jefferson Starship Miracles [view link]
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    I call bullshit. Have you noticed that all the public demonstrations in the streets of China has come to a fucking HALT?! Nice strategy, don’t you think? In the USA, we have had up to 20,000 deaths from the regular fucking flu since October 2019. The Caronavirus (aka common fucking cold) has killed what? 200? 300? Worldwide? Who the fuck cares? Not me.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    "A new article in a peer-reviewed student journal" I know you were already joking, but a student journal (peer-reviewed or not) might as well be monkeys banging on keyboards. I'll get my zombie news from official tweets and Facebook paid advertising, thank you.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    The flu kills mostly elderly, infants and the already sick. Coronavirus is killing healthy people. We are protected by China’s isolation. For now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion