tuscl

What Do You Spend Money On?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Other than strippers, food, mortgage/rent, alimony, bills, etc. what do you spend too much money on?

For me it’s bourbon. It’s become an obsession. There’s the bottles I open and drink, and then the bottles I just stare at.

I’ve also been on a tool kick lately but those purchases are inexpensive when compared to bourbon prices. Since COVID I’ve only been more than an hour away from my house 3 times and 2 of those trips were to purchase special bourbon.

38 comments

• Muddy
    3 years ago
    “strippers, food, rent” fuck I’m out
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Wow top ten....

Not in order. These are things I drink, not the bottles I stare at:

Weller Antique

Elmer T Lee

any Knob Creek that is 120 proof and over 10 years

Stagg Jr

any Smooth Ambler OS Rye

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Old Rip Van Winkle 10

any Jefferson that’s been aged in wine barrels

Elijah Craig barrel proof

Willett 4 Year Rye (would like older Willett but they’re hard to find)

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Cars and travel, but it’s ok Not sure what constitutes too much, if you mean can I afford to spend this money, I can easily, so not sure ho to answer your question
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    I no longer have to buy weed because one of my regulars has a grow facility and gives me freebies all the time.

I've been spending a lot on travel. My good friend is getting married and I'm maid of honor so I've been visiting her a lot (2 1/2 hours away), going with her to the venue which is out of state, etc. My boyfriend who is a groomsmen in the wedding is also 2 1/2 hours away in the other direction. He works a 9-5 and only has so much PTO whereas I pick my hours so I travel to him quite a bit.

I've recently taken up getting subscription boxes. One of them is a snack box that picks a country each month and sends snacks from that country which is cool. Another is a weed subscription. They send basically everything but the weed - rolling papers, wraps, accessories, glass pieces like pipes and bongs, etc. It's really cool. I'm thinking of adding a third subscription box for one that sends you makeup. I'm not huge on makeup, but for like $25/month they send you several full sized beauty products that total a worth of at least $150 so you can't beat it.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    I don’t think I over spend on this stuff but guns, small watercraft, tractors and gardening supplies have been my main expenditures.
  • docsavage
    3 years ago
    Strippers are definitely at the top of the list of things I spend too much on. Until my cat passed away several months back I also spent too much on him. He liked one of the most expensive cat foods on the market so I bought him eight cans a day at a dollar a can. That's $240 a month for cat food. I also spend too much on books, overpriced Starbucks coffee, organic health food and nutritional supplements. I spend less than most people on transportation since I drive an old car and then replace it with another old car, paying cash. I also save money by living in an apartment and not having a wife. Some day, though, after I retire when I'm too old for strip clubs I may marry a little old lady for company.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I have nothing to add here. I bought some mulch the other day?
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    Boat, wood, hardware for wood projects, tools for wood projects....
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    International travel. Covid saved me a ton of money in 2020 and 2021.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ don’t forget San Francisco bathhouse membership fees
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    By too much, I guess you mean I spend more than I want. Expenses for the wife. Her car, her hair, her clothes, etc. I love spending money on my sugar babe. I detest having to spend any money on my wife. I think it has something to do the "RETURN" on my investment. :-)
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Warrior does your wife work or is she a housewife?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Eating out. I love restaurants (and eating out civvie dates for that matter.)
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    Sports equipment - dirt bikes and mountain bikes. And travel to use the sports equipment
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    And wine
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @docsavage
    8 cans a day? I never had a cat. Holy shit they can eat that much?
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    shailynn, my wife has not earned a paycheck in about 30 years. I don't dare say she doens't work because she would take my head off if I said that. She works real hard getting the house prepared for the maids.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Antique stamps coins old shit
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    My bitches
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    "what do you spend too much money on?"

Taxes. Everything else I spend money on is something I want or need.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Kids and investments. Nothing else gives me much of a return on my time other than kids and their future. Everything else is secondary. I got a good amount in my spank bank if I need a quick release then I don’t have to go very far. Strippers will always be there, but the slow decline of strip club wxperiwnces makes it easy to stay away from clubbing.
  • IRman
    3 years ago
    Live music events as Florida has pretty much been open since July or so. Chartered live music cruises prior to the pandemic. Cannot wait for the next “Cruise to the edge” (May 2022). I also still buy CD’s; I like owning a “hard copy” of the music I enjoy. Also a bit of an audiophile so I don’t hesitate to purchase high quality audio gear.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    ^^^Yeah that is a big one when it comes back for me. I love going to concerts.

Also yes travel expenses is a big one. I keep it down by sleeping in the car some nights and showering in gyms but just gas alone the last few years I don’t even want to know what that bill looks like
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^ uh yes I know the true history on Pappy and how half of it wound up in Japan when nobody here cared about bourbon.

It was one of the first bottles I had when I delved deeply into bourbon around 2015 so it’s always held an allure to me. I didn’t care of the others and consider myself lucky to be able to have tried them all.

What’s your top 10?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ I’m more of a Scotch drinker, I’ve enjoyed quite a few, Glenmorangie is an excellent one along with McCallan in the single malts, as a regular blended I’m a fan of Dewars, and Johnny Black
    But I don’t drink bourbon regularly , I have had Pappy with a few poker buddies and one that they seem to like is Elmer Tee and a small batch single barrel named Blanton
    I completely quit smoking a few years back and one of the things I miss is getting a couple of good cigars and sitting out on the patio with buddies smoking cigars and drinking good scotch.
    I’m currently in possession of a large bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and I’m holding it till my buddy comes down here in November
  • Daddillac
    3 years ago
    @25... try the Balvenie doublewood portwood 21.... a very smooth scotch, my favorite
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ I’ll check it out thanks for the tip
  • lurkingdog
    3 years ago
    Twenty-Five. A couple of other suggestions: Lagavullin 16 and Highland Park 18 are both very good in my opinion.
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    Recently its been several home remodeling projects. In fact now doing the big one, the kitchen. Expensive stuff.

Travel

Poker

Wine
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    My vice is grown-up toys: guns and gizmos. I've got a sampling of everything from a 2-shoy .22 Derringer up to ,330 Scoped Daniels Defense custom on one hand, and everything from a credit card sized folding quad-copter to a 5-rack wifi enabled backyard smoker in the other. So much wasted money, but I'm never bored.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Eating out, hookah lounges
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    Toys for fun.

Over the years its been rafting stuff, kayak, canoe, mtm bikes, telescopes and accessories.

Just bought an electric (assisted) bicycle, ready to cruise area trails.
  • CarlitosPeligro
    3 years ago
    Guns, archery, Travel. Hunting. Fishing. Skiing. Kids college fund. Taxes.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I really don’t have any hobbies (perhaps why I used to be such a hard strip-clubber) – on my free-time I usually hit the gym a couple of times a week (but haven’t worked-out in a year due to Covid) – I also used to hang out in South Beach on weekends riding my bicycle, people-watching, getting something to eat and sometimes having a drink (but I stopped that too during Covid since they were making people wear face-masks on the street) – other than SCing the next thing I spend the most $$$ on is eating out – being that I’m single I don’t like going thru the trouble of cooking just for me and probably don’t save as much $$$ as a family eating-out vs eating-in – I also like to treat myself to eating w/e I’m in the mood in vs what I have at home or can make; and also like the flexibility of just popping in somewhere, getting what I want, and be done w/ it (no preparing or cleaning-up; etc) – there are def advantages to eating at home like saving $$$ and eating healthier but for now I don’t wanna put in the effort

• wiffle shwaffle
    3 years ago
    ...I spend a lot of money keeping my cat spoiled and fat. His happiness comes first because he's just so cute. I also spend a stupid amount of money on PokemonGo. Lately, I've been spending money on small body enhancements like fillers.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    I'm a consumer as I tell a couple friends who are so tight with their money that they creak.
    The past couple years I've spent thousands on power tools alone, Makita, DeWALT, garden tools Greenworks and Craftsman 60v etc. That doesn't count various hand tools, impact sockets, lights, etc. I'm doing more and more of my own work.
    Spent most of my gun money years ago and I'm at the point of selling some off.
    Also have bought and installed a privacy fence at another house that I will be moving to and doing updates there, ceiling fans, etc.
    There's always something to buy or spend on besides the basics.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Vintage tools and machinery in varying states of disrepair. Some for personal use, and some for resale.
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    Pretty much here:

https://www.adafruit.com/

Be warned, there is a lot of super cool stuff here
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion