tuscl

Another prediction

JohnSmith69
layin low but staying high
I'm calling it here and now. Remember I'm the one who called Trump's victory months in advance, when almost everybody here (Nina most vocally) said I was nuts. So in the midst of all of this stoopid impeachment bullshit, I decided it's time to call it again.

Trump will be elected to a second term. I'm so sorry Nina.

81 comments

• Dougster
    7 years ago
    But Nina has a 3.6 GPA in basket-weaving from an obscure community college. How could you possibly have it right when she got it wrong?
  • Corvus
    7 years ago
    I think you are correct John. As crazy as it might sound, I think you are right.
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Lol "I'm so sorry Nina"!

What's the matter, the man got her down? Too bad she doesnt embrace being nappy headed. I like my hoes with a little Velcro on top. Better grip.

I believe your call will be correct, but too premature to predict. A lot can happen after mid terms.
  • tumblingdice
    7 years ago
    Aw shucks fellas,Ninas just upset that nobody"Grabs her in the pussy"anymore.
  • rogertex
    7 years ago
    Meat725
    " ... I believe your call will be correct, but too premature to predict. A lot can happen after mid terms."

... well that's the beauty of a call - when everybody calls it too premature to predict.

I think JS69 has now established a stellar track record. Dems should pay heed. And pack up and go to Woodstock. Or Colorado.
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Oh good. A Dougster Nina fight. My money is on Nina, but Dougster got in a pretty good first punch.
  • MackTruck
    7 years ago
    Lol
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Lol... why are you guys so obsessed with me?
  • clubdude
    7 years ago
    Sorry JS69....not at 74.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    Trump could get reelected. “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    If that tired line is all Nina has, I gotta give it to Dougster in a rout.
  • ww
    7 years ago
    He will get a 2nd term IF he wants it. I'm not convinced that he will. He likes variety and may be want to get back to his business, tv, etc.
  • tumblingdice
    7 years ago
    He won't run again.He's done it all.He will set the stage,ride off into the sunset,write a book or two and enjoy his grandkids,you know,stuff that normal people do.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I predict that JS69 will get married toa DS then get a divorce once she turns 21, and immediately find DS # 35. and repeat the cycle all over again.
  • HungryGiraffe
    7 years ago
    If he wants to keep Melania, he will be a one term prez. This gig isn't a good fit for his fam -- and that's what he's all about.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    I doubt it. Trump's approval ratings are at about 38% in an average of polls as I write this:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tru…

The only two people who actually predicted the last election correctly were @Smith and Michael Moore -- both goofy and overly-emotional man-infants with zero analytical ability.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    ...oh forgot. My dog also wagged his tail to the right on election day.
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Dougster wins easily. I'm kinda disappointed in Nina.

25, that prediction is too easy. Try predicting something that is not already inherently predictable.
  • georgmicrodong
    7 years ago
    If the democrats don't get off their high horse and stop treating people who disagree with them as unimportant lowlifes who just don't know what's best for them, Trump *will* win another term. Or Pence will.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Sorry, JS69 I'm not in the prediction business, I only swing at fastballs straight across the plate. I'm getting lazy since you promoted me to co-moderator with scrub.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    No Flagooner, I'm just confused as why my name was mentioned like 7 times before I even got involved in this thread (which I wouldn't have if I weren't being talked about so much).

Js69, if that's a good first punch to you then you haven't seen many fights. Nubster doesn't really have much else to say at this point. He's always using the words "Nina," "basket-weaving," and "obscure community college" in the same sentence. It has happened too many times to county already, and I'm sure will happen many more. I'm bored with it. Find new attempts to insult me, Nubster. Lying about where I went to school only shows you have nothing to ACTUALLY insult me about. But thanks for the free publicity, guys. I guess there are a lot of people hungry for Nina on this board.

And... um... Trump was just on twitter talking about pardoning himself. His approval ratings are record low for any recent president. There won't be a second term. He may not even finish the first.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Let's get real. Nobody on this board is obsessed with Nina. Except of course... Herself!

She seemed to be doing okay for a little while here, but I guess she is off her anti-anxiety medication again. So the thoughts about all these people who are "obsessed" with her are back.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    @NanoDong wrote: " if the democrats don't get off their high horse and stop treating people who disagree with them as unimportant lowlifes who just don't know what's best for them...
    -------------------------------------
    It's not so much that Trump supporters are "lowlifes," instead it's a strong correlation b/w lack of education and Trump support. Education, not income, predicted who would voted for Trump:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/educ…

I'm in one of the top-ten counties.

That's why someone like @Smith (who claims to be a lawyer) is atypical. Of course, when you get outside, say, the top 20 law schools, just about anyone can get in.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    If this last election proved anything is that you can't put Trump in any kinda political-box. He was expected to drop out in the primaries and many thought he either had "no political" chance or he was just running to get publicity - the majority of Americans are not political experts nor really care much about politics -
    political heads/"experts" think that the avg American thinks like they do and thus you have Trump.

Trump marches to the beat of his own drum thus trying to make political extrapolations will most-likely be futile in Trump's case - nothing would surprise me from him quitting before his first term is over to doing 2 terms.

IMO only a hard-left candidate like Crazy Bernie or Pocahontas Warren can mobilize the left w/ enough passion in 2020.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Is JS69 a Trump supporter or did he just predict Trump would win? I also thought Trump would win (after the final debate with Hilary where he showed he wanted it more) although I was hoping it won't happen.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^JS69 is a Trump supporter here, I wouldn't be surprised if he's more apolitical IRL most attorneys are, unless they are active in party politics.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    When they are counting educated people I think they should separate out those whose degrees are in Liberal Arts. That stuff is basket weaving and pure faggotry.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^So is a Juris Doctor degre the same as a liberal arts degree in basket weaving ? I used to call Liberal Arts Degree a degree in pottery making, sounds like they are the same thing actually.
  • larryfisherman
    7 years ago
    Wow, calling Trump's victory was such a bold prediction! First of all at that time Trump was only up against one person (Hillary). Secondly Hillary had the email scandal. Lastly usually when a president has served one or two terms, the country selects the other party the next time. George HW Bush, Bill Clinton, George W Bush, Obama, Trump.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    What's JD? Just a really long Liberal Arts degree?
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Juris Doctor is a law degree. I think a field like patent law would require a lot of intelligence.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Probably the higher end for lawyer intelligence and the lower end for scientist/engineer intelligence.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    You should probably know what you're talking about before making assumptions.

I would argue that patent law, in general, is more difficult than engineering. Not only does a patent lawyer have to use science/engineering intelligence, but they typically have to do a lot more independent work. A lot of engineering work can be done kind of subconsciously as they have the data and formulas memorized. Whereas once they take their science/engineering knowledge to patent law, they must also do more writing, interpreting words of legislation (etc) and typically more reading than they'd have to do in engineering. Not to mention that they still would have tons of research to do. So, patent law is actually very complex and difficult.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Guys, don't patronize her.

It might make her start thinking about having sex with babies. I don't want to be at all responsible if she acts on it.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Too early to even guess. I think there's a small chance he bows out of a second term.

More importantly is who will he be running against? I can't imagine the Dems putting up someone as hated as Clinton. I, wrongly, thought Trump was one of the few candidates she COULD beat. A likable moderate Democrat could be an uphill battle for Trump, especially if he stays as unpopular as he is right now.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    On a side note, Dugly can't be obsessed with Nina, he doesn't have the time. Being obsessed with rickdugan, vincemichaels and others consumes his time. For someone whose favorite insult is 'faggot', dugly sure does spend a lot of time posting about guys.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Nina, speaking as an engineer with 40 years if experience, you are just dead wrong. Engineering is not just about formulas. It is about applying those formulas with creativity and a lot of "feel".

And frankly, the business law course that I took as part of my business masters programs was the easiest A I ever got.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @Nina speaking as a business owner in the construction industry who deals with both engineers and lawyers regularly the level of skill and expertise required of engineers is way beyond the ability of most lawyers, i'm sure you will argue your points, but I know this from experience.
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    JS69: Were you high when you made this latest prediction ?

I don't think he'll last more than 1 term. Yet I also recognize that there had better be a viable alternative candidate to actually vote FOR (as opposed to voting against the other candidate), or else JS69 prediction could very well come true.
  • Timbuck12
    7 years ago
    @ATACdawg, no offense but that business law class you took as part of your masters degree is probably about as indicative of practicing law as an Intro To Engineering Class For Non-Engineers taught at a liberal arts school would be for a high-level electrical engineer
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Illegal Immigration is not only down - illegals are going back to Mexico or heading up to Canada.
    Stocks are setting record after record.
    Decades of dwindling manufacturing levels are increasing for what might the first time in my life.
    Foodstamp usage is down after Barry's record highs.
    New home construction is returning to pre-Recession levels.
    Employment levels, while not consistently meeting forecasts, are generally increasing.
    If this keeps up, Trump will breeze into a second term and the democrats will lose more state governorships.
    I do worry that the Republican congress will alienate voters. I would like to see a resurgence of the Tea Party where the career political hacks and RINOs are replaced with people actually intent on serving the nation; otherwise we may get a democrat party-led senate and/or house intent upon screwing Trump and the nation.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Make all the predictions you want JS69, but I and many others are not giving. We will resist Trump and try to get him out of office, every day, until it is accomplished.

SJG
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    @san_jose_fag: Like liberals were so successful in getting their people out so he was not elected in the first place? Yeah, I'm sure Trump is trembling now that he knows that you and your church of one (psycho) are on it.
  • JimGassagain
    7 years ago
    SJG, you forget or at least fail to recognize, that it was the backlash against people like you that got Trump elected in the first place. If folks like you keep this up it is a lock that Trump gets elected for a second term. People already are disgusted with the opposition to Trumps administration. They just want him to govern without automatic opposition, as the left has been automating since his inauguration.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    @Nina: it's actually lawyers who just do memorization of laws and cases. It all rote learning. There is little creative thinking involved whereas for scientists and engineers creativity is what it's all about.

Now you were talking about patent lawyers specifically, and I did grant they were probably at the top of intelligence spectrum as far as lawyers go. Because they at least need some understanding of science. That's what puts them at the top amongst lawyers: the scientific knowledge. But compared to a real engineer or scientist who has to solve actual problems how would they do? Likely not well, they probably got into patent law to begin with b/c they realized they couldn't hack the depth of knowledge required to be good engineer or scientist. But still it's probably better than being any of kind of lawyer.

In any case I've worked with plenty of top engineers, scientists, and mathematicians throughout my life. They are all about applying creativity to solving challenging problems. Can't remember any of them saying "gee, these are really important and challenging problems we are working on, but I really wish I could have hacked patent law. Plus it would be great to hang around people the intellectual caliber of lawyers as opposed to all these dull, look a formula, sciency types".

• Dougster
    7 years ago
    @jestie214: You never did answer what percentage of your posts on TUSCL from the start have been about me? I'd reckon it's around 1/3. Kind of makes you obsessed doesn't it?

Lol!
  • Alter_Kocker96
    7 years ago

A few thoughts:

• Engineers vs. attorneys. We need them both. There’s a range of talent in both professions. It’s important to understand their particular skills and approach to their jobs and problem solving. I appreciate both but admit I’m partial to engineers :)

For engineers their skills and approach to a situation are encapsulated in the following anecdote:

“The optimist says the glass is half full; the pessimist says it's half empty. What does the engineer say?
    Answer: why is there twice as much glass as there needs to be?

It's hard to escape the techies that surround us, both at work and at home. We wouldn't want to live without them: They’re immensely helpful in this high-tech world, but when it comes to social and personal interactions, engineers’ skills and training often work against them.

"How to Live with an Engineer" is a blueprint for understanding and dealing with the slightly peculiar traits of the techies we can’t live without. You'll learn to communicate with someone who's a *chronic troubleshooter*, who *loves numbers*, and who *enjoys a good argument*.”

‘How to Live with an Engineer Kindle Edition’
    by Camille Minichino, PhD. Retired physicist, college lecturer in Logic and Critical Thinking, and author of several mystery series involving a retired physicist or college mathematics professor.

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Engineer-Cam…

• To the fevered partisans and trumpaholics, a few thoughts:

“Donald Trump - and I don't dislike Donald one single bit - has no idea how good the Mexican people are at building tunnels.” Ron White

“There are horrible people who, instead of solving a problem, tangle it up and make it harder to solve for anyone who wants to deal with it. Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx

But I know, as True Believers, you will ignore these thoughts.

“To most of us nothing is so invisible as an unpleasant truth. Though it is held before our eyes, pushed under our noses, rammed down our throats — we know it not.” Eric Hoffer

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” Mark Twain

“There are similarities between absolute power and absolute faith: a demand for absolute obedience, a readiness to attempt the impossible, a bias for simple solutions to cut the knot rather than unravel it, the viewing of compromise as surrender. Both absolute power and absolute faith are instruments of dehumanization. Hence, absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power.”
    Eric Hoffer, The New York Times Magazine, April 25, 1971

AK
    Man plans; God laughs
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Classic Dugly, try and turn it around. Next it'll be a typo.

The dumb fuck actually has multiple accounts which he uses to obsess about guys. Coupled with the homophobia and it's kind of pathetically sad.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Come on jestie, you are the one spends half your life lying and being hypocritical and then then other crying that others are liars and hypocrites.

Don't like it when your own hypocrisy is pointed out, huh?

Lol!

I won't hold my breath waiting for my obsessed little homo, jestie214 to answer what % of his posts are about me.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    @AK96: well, it's nice of you to be all Kumbaya and everything and say both types are needed and one is more important than the other and they are just "different". That will win you plenty of PC points.

I, OTOH, will ask a very non-PC question:

which would be worse for the world? If half the lawyers in it were to suddenly vanish or if half the scientists/engineers/mathematicians were to suddenly vanish?

• jester214
    7 years ago
    Looking at my last 100 comments, spread out over a few months, I counted 8 where I mocked Dugly's pathetic behavior.

Now let's take a look at Dugly's last 25 discussions... All in the last month and 22 of them are about male posters... Not to mention his alternate accounts.

Yep, Dugly's a little too into the guys on TUSCL.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    The question was how many since you started posted on TUSCL have been about me? Yes, you've been laying low and scared for the last little while. Funny when that started: right after I pointed how about 1/3 of your posts were about me.

• Cowboy12
    7 years ago
    Not a Trump fan, but he is getting a raw deal from the press.
    Even with all the bad things Obama and Hillary did, they got a pass by the fake news.

I predict all the negative press will wear Trump down and he will resign before the end of 2018.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Lol, numbers don't lie dugly.

88% of your topics in the last month were about men. Told ya dugly doesn't have time for Nina.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    jestie: "numbers don't lie dugly. "

Agree. 1/3 of your posts since you started on TUSCL about me = jestie is obsessed!

• san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Not every white guy in America is stupid. And not everyone in America is even a white guy. So there is still hope.

SJG
  • ButterMan
    7 years ago
    That's not a prediction JS69 that's just your wishful thinking. I doubt he even finishes the first term. He has done absolutely nothing but fight with the media. And Nina you go girl!
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    ButterMan!

ButterMan!

ButterMan!

SJG
  • SuperDude
    7 years ago
    President Trump may reach the conclusion that DC gridlock is incurable and he is wasting his time trying to fix things. Unless he gets commanding margins of pro-Trumpers in the House and Senate after the 2018 mid-terms, he will find the job boring and impossible. A man used to having his ideas put into action might just decide fighting the DC system is a waste of his time and talent. As he approaches 75 years old, he just may want to go back to making lots of money without people looking over his shoulder. If that becomes his view, he will not run for a second term.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    He's already has majorities in the House and Senate. It was funny someone posted a tweet of his chastising Obama for not getting things done in which he said "but there was a period you controlled both the House and the Senate".

The problem is the division between moderate Republicans and more extreme ones. That's what really prevents them from getting anything done.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    "And frankly, the business law course that I took as part of my business masters programs was the easiest A I ever got."

You took a BUSINESS LAW course. So did. IM One? Easy as fuck. My question for you becomes, did you spend three years post-grad in law school specializing in patent law???

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I said. Think about being an engineer + reading an extra thousand+ words a week + interpreting legislation + doing more reading and writing + more research about engineering AND the law.

Again, patent law combines science and engineering with the added burden of law. It is seriously complex and not and area of law that I even consider focusing on simply because of the scientific/engineering background which isn't my thing. It is probably one of the most highest paying fields of law and there is a reason for that. Very complex. One business law class doesn't prep you for patent law.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    So did I.*
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Just saw the cover of USA Today. They said that the nation is divided over impeachment. 42% favor it, and 42% oppose it.

And articles of impeachment have already been submitted by Rep Sherman from California.

But the Republicans have a 46 seat majority. That is huge.

So I know he will be impeached, and it couldn't be long after Nov 2018 either. Could be much sooner too.

But the Republicans are going to lose both house of congress over this, and at the state level too, over having supported Trump.

SJG
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    "One business law class doesn't prep you for patent law."

No, but watching a couple of old reruns of L.A. Law would do the trick.

Or you could go the expensive route and stay at a Holiday Inn Express for a night.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    "No, but watching a couple of old reruns of L.A. Law would do the trick.

Or you could go the expensive route and stay at a Holiday Inn Express for a night."

Dude, do you even know what business law is?

Explain.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Oh, specifically PATENT LAW.

EXPLAIN.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    @Nina
    I thought your customers were exaggerating when they said you were this easy.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Nina: "Think about being an engineer + reading an extra thousand+ words a week + interpreting legislation + doing more reading and writing + more research about engineering AND the law."

Huh? "Engineering" sounds like the only challenging part of it. An even then it's not like a patent lawyer is a researcher (meaning making new discoveries, as opposed ot read already know stuff) which is why I put it in quotes.

Good engineers/scientists/mathematicians want to solve problems not quibble over the law. And, equally important to them, I would say is being able to work with equally intelligent people. Sorry but we are talking different leagues. Sure lawyers add some value to world, but your notion that lawyers are smart is not going to pass the laugh test with anyone. I'd be surprised if you even believe it yourself.

But, going back to your original reasoning: it's like saying doing one hard thing half way, plus a bunch of easy things is much harder than doing one thing all the way. It's kind of like saying running a half-marathon a month, plus walk to your car and back the other days, is much harder than running a marathon a week. Also, hate to break the news to you but engineers are also able to read and write.

• Dougster
    7 years ago
    Should read "your notion that lawyers are smarter than engineers/scientists/mathematicians is not going to pass the laugh test with anyone".
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    "@Nina
    I thought your customers were exaggerating when they said you were this easy."

Fagooner -

When you can't beat me you libel me. Pathetic. There are guys here who have met me. Show me evidence that I am "easy" and I'll cut you the biggest check you've ever seen.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    You are easy to annihilate in these threads, Nina. As I did once again above! Lol!

*** SLAM DUNKED THAT FAGGETTE NINA BAMBINA ***

Now, back to your basket weaving, Nina.

Best level the real work in this world to those of us who actually have the intellect to hack it.

Lol!
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    I highly doubt you have any sort of post grad degree, NUBSTER, perhaps that's why you're so bitter.

*going back to "basket-weaving" now.*

Hehe.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Doubt all you like, Nina. I do and perhaps that's why you're so bitter.

Lol!
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    This prediction is highly dependent on whether or not Trump wants to run again in 2020 and or if Hillary and or Bernie are running against him. I would hate to have crooked Hillary or tax everyone like crazy Bernie get elected. Bernie would likely not get much done though with congress blocking everything. The same might apply to everyone who gets elected so maybe this will just be a popularity contest among the states. We all know the popular vote doesn't matter.

As far as being an engineer, it requires a lot of creativity and application of knowledge to challenging issues. A patent lawyer has to know a lot about law and be able to figure out the mechanics of a device in a patent and what is so special about it and apply lots of legalese. I wouldn't want to do that. I'd rather figure out the mechanics of the device in the patent. However I think more like an engineer. I was thinking of some patents including one I saw for a device within a contact lens. I believe it was for a virtual reality display using contact lens as the object with the apparatus within the lens. I will concede that you need to think like an engineer to understand what is unique or maybe you don't if anyone can create vr within a contact lens or maybe a patent has to apply specifically to the design of the apparatus within the contact lens and an understanding of how other copy cat devices would be an infringement of the patent. Both are difficult fields. I do believe engineering requires more creativity not necessarily memorization. There are a lot of formulas and other information within engineering books that get referred to. Engineers don't memorize all that. We use computers and apps and programs to assist.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Engineers are also being asked to understand federal and state regulations as applicable for OSHA safety regulations and ergonomics and environment regulations more and more especially in small businesses that don't have separate safety and other specialized people. Not fun reading something lawyers wrote.

It might be interesting if congress was replaced by engineers and lawyers. The engineers would just want everything to work. The lawyers would make it hard to understand.

Engineers would probably figure out a way to get rid of half the government and get the same amount of work done using lean practices. Replace congress with robots and suddenly we have cheap health care for everyone, the robot president agrees. The lawyers would tell the engineers they can't do that legally. Engineers would probably set it up so that you don't have to go to the doctor and have the doctor see you after getting off from work, driving to the office, wait in line to be seen. They would set up a video conference with a robot examination if needed, have it done in less than 15 minutes and have your prescription delivered to your house or workplace for a small fee. I digress a little again.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    I've met several dancers who told me a lot of customers say they are engineers. Lawyers, engineers, and dancers all meeting up in the strip clubs. It's no wonder we argue so much on this site. Lol.
  • Estafador
    7 years ago
    I will bet $100 Trump doesn't win let alone run.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    So, Nina, you were offended because my "easy A" comment trivialized the legal profession? Good, because I really wanted to make a point.

What you said about engineering being basically a cookbook exercise class trivialized my profession in exactly the same way and frankly, I was offended by that.

Pretty much every material thing that makes your life better or even just bearable people take for granted bears the imprint of at least one engineer.

Would you tell me that a patent attorney could design the Saturn rocket that took men to the moon? The Hoover Dam? The combines and other farm equipment that helps a farmer bring food to your table? Your car? Your computer?

A patent lawyer doesn't use technical knowledge to create. Rather, he or she uses it to understand the issues and nuances of the engineer's (or scientist's) work. There is a world of difference between that work and the engineer's. Not better, not worse, just different. I count three patent attorney among my friends. None of them would think for one second that they could do what I, and many others in my profession do. Neither would I think that I could, or would even want to do what they do.

Do you seriously think that the ability to write, the ability to put forth a convincing argument, is the exclusive territory of lawyers? Some engineer's can't write, just as some lawyers can't reliably balance a checkbook. The good engineers can write very well and very economically to make their points and sell their ideas.

Good engineers are, to a large extent, born with that talent. I was five (reading my Dad's Aviation Week and SAE Journal magazines) when I knew that I wanted to be an engineer. My older daughter was four when I knew she would be an engineer. My younger daughter was about the same age when I knew that would not be her career path. Both are intelligent, both are responsible and hard working. Both have very different talents.

I don't know where society's contempt (and I don't think that is too strong a word) for engineers comes from. I hope that the next time that you speak to a colleague on your cell phone, or that you print a legal document on your ink jet or laser printer, or are making your argument in a well-lighted courtroom you will have a thought, and maybe a bit of respect for what engineers bring to society.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Hahaha thanks for the book. Spend three years specializing in patent law, then tell me how badly you want to be a regular engineer again after your 16 hour work day.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Nina, I am retired after 40 years in my profession. There were many times that I did twelve hours days, and a few 16 hour days. Do you know what? They were all done on projects that I enjoyed tremendously. Like somebody said, do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

I have no doubt that I could have been a lawyer, or a doctor, or even a good cabinetmaker. My verbal college boards were actually slightly higher than my math scores. The point is, my passion was for engineering. My desire to create useful things and solve problems was much more important to me than money or easy work. I hope that you can say the same.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Thank you for sharing your story.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion