tuscl

TERMINOLOGY: ATF vs. CF

Club_Goer_Seattle
Seattle, Washington
Monday, July 1, 2013 8:10 AM
In a recent thread by SlickSpic, "Lifespan Of An ATF," Shadowcat corrected the use of the term ATF. I'd like to discuss it a little further. The terminology seems grossly misused on TUSCL. My perceptions of the proper use of the two terms: ALL-TIME FAVORITE (ATF) This is the dancer that you liked most in your club-going career. You could start with one ATF, and then find a better ATF. But, in actuality you can only refer to having one ATF at a time. Example: My ATF was a dancer I knew for four years. Even though I haven't even seen her for five years now, I still refer to her as my ATF. I still liked her better than any of the dancers I see now. CURRENT FAVORITE (CF) This is/are the dancer(s) you like best right now. It is acceptable to have multiple current favorites (as I do). The four that I do consider in this category, I also knew at the time I knew my ATF. (Their time with me overlapped.) Your CFs do not match the enjoyment factor that you get/got from your ATF.

21 comments

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Well done, Clubgoer. Clear and concise.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Now get Founder to update the glossary.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    We need a separate glossary just for LDK postings!
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Bullwinkle: Exactly! A CF could overtake an ATF, but then, when you next refer to your ATF, that would be the second dancer who was previously only your CF.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Shadow: I concur with you. This is the TUSCL glossary definition of ATF. (There is none for CF.) "ATF -- All Time Favorite - a patron's favorite dancer. If you have one of these, please see PL lower in the gloss." It seems to me that the two terms, ATF and CF are mixed together, inappropriately.
  • azdd
    11 years ago
    Excellent distinction! I too have a whole bunch of CFs that I will always seek out and get dances from, but there is only one ATF. Thanks ClubGoer!
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    I agree with this ATF and CF usage. But still I have a problem. Referring to Christie, with whom I had a 2 year relationship, as my ATF seems wrong. She certainly was my ATF, but should I continue to call her that? It's like calling a girl "my sweetheart" after you've broken up. I have sometimes called her my ex-ATF, which indicates that I am not seeing her any more.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Jackslash: Your situation is like mine. If Christie was the best ever dancer you had, then she's your ATF. Even though you don't get dances from her anymore, or even see her anymore, if you liked her better than any dancers you see now, she's your ATF. The other dancers are your CFs.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    I don't know if I like the idea of having only 1 ATF at a time. I always think of these things as a level, but it's always possible to have more than one at the top level. It's kind of like picking the top quarterback in the NFL. Some say Manning, some say Brady, some say Rodgers, some say Brees, and I say they're all good. A similar dynamic exists for favorite dancers. To hold one above the rest lowers the rest to an unacceptable degree, at least for me. As for CF, it works for me.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    DandyDan - What if O.J. Simpson was your ATF and the other were just your CFs?
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    ATF is singular out of total history. Agreed. If CF is going to be plural, that what's the preferred term for top girl out of the CF roster, but not surpassing ATF?
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    @ mjx: Your best current favorite (BCF). How's that? Any other forms we haven't covered?
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Club_Goer, I've tried fighting that battle a number of times in the past. I gave up and just let those that wish misuse the term. My ATF, I've known her for about 13 years. She's not danced in at least 7-8 years, but she is still me ATF. I've known a couple came close, but they could never win since they were not Asian.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    If we're really getting into semantics, "favorite" should be singular as well. I think we're digging a little too deep.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I don't like any of this ATF or CF stuff. The terms imply a certain emotional attachment that I try mightily not to have for these dancers. I don't always succeed in avoiding emotional attachments but I am getting much better the longer I participate in our hobby. I completely eschew the term ATF now and I don't care for CF either. Now, if I see a dancer more than once, I refer to her as my 'sweetie' as in....... my Toronto Sweetie or my Calgary Sweetie or my Detroit Sweetie or my Vancouver Sweetie or my Edmonton Sweetie. Two of these girls are now ancient history but 3 of them still have active status; one of them much more active than the other two.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    "favorite" condones emotional attachment but "sweetie" is fine? ATF can mean a lot of things without regarding emotion.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Founder: Please ad "sweetie" to the TUSCL glossary.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I have a Venezuelan favorite that calls me "sweetie". It's a refreshing change from "baby". :)
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I get it. I get it. I know that I am as pathetic as all the rest of the tuscl regulars. All I can say is that the same word can have different connotations for different people. Let me split my hairs if it makes me feel better. Sheesh!
  • 3LeggedMan
    11 years ago
    Sometimes I think of CF as a Club Favorite. If I frequent multiple clubs I'm likely to have a current fave at each club. Just muddying the water.
  • OldSalt
    11 years ago
    I don't club enough for it to make a big difference, but I think CMF ( Current Most Favorite) has a nice ring to it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion