tuscl

You ever observe people not tipping?

Not with lap dances or VIP because that's a totally different thing in my view but like with the standard stuff like waitresses/bartenders and tip walks. I've been seeing some stuff online about restaurant waitresses and servers bitching about how so many people don't leave tips. Maybe it's more common than I realize I just wonder how hard that hitting the strip club world. I'm not a big tipper personally more of standard type tipper, beer, leave a dollar, anything more complicated I double the tax. But definitely not nothing.

And I'm fully aware are headspace is in what the naked girls are doing but maybe you sat next to somebody who was holding out.

35 comments

• Muddy
    a year ago
    Also I'd be remiss not to mention the elephant in the room, two groups that you do see out there getting shit for being tight with the tips Indians and Blacks, are also two groups in particular that LOVE strip clubs. But I don't know if it carries over to the club because black men in particular are the worldwide leader in making it rain. Hands down. So I'm trying to parse this all out, maybe y'all heard a waitress bitching to you about this stuff.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    a year ago
    I think it happens less at a regulars' club, because the regulars get to know the bartenders sometimes as well or better than the dancers. Still, a while ago I was sitting next to a guy at Desire who was being a real pain in the ass to the bartender (and she didn't give him any attitude about it). He put cash on the bar and left. When she counted it out, he'd not tipped her anything. She was pretty pissed.

So, when I tipped for my drinks, I tipped significantly extra. She knew why I did it and thanked me. Partially I did it because I thought it was a shitty thing to do. But also it's not a bad thing if the bartenders like you a bit more than the next guy at a regulars' club.
  • RiskA
    a year ago
    California typically dictates “living wage” for all employees, so the old tipping standards go out the window IMO. What used to be necessary to supplement low wages now isn’t, and tips are back to being a reward. That said, I’m more like Muddy’s dollar a drink or 10% (double a reasonable tax rate) if service good.
  • shadowcat
    a year ago
    The only time that comes to my mind was a time at the Atlanta Cheetah about 30 years ago. A male bar tender told some Japanese customers that it was customary to tip for service in the USA.
  • doctorevil
    a year ago
    “ 10% (double a reasonable tax rate) if service good”

Where did you grow up? Standard tipping rates in the US are 15% for standard service, 20% for good service, 25% or more for excellent service, and have been for as long as I can remember, which is a long time. In my regular club, I routinely tip on the excellent side, for the reason stated by CMI.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    I don't pay attention to what other folks do, I tip where it's appropriate 20% for average service, 25% for good service and if service is exceptional I've been known to throw some extra money on top of the 25% depending what the tip is for. I do draw the line at these places that all of a sudden are trying to shame us into paying a tip for the cashier, I absolutely refuse to tip, for stupid shit like take out unless it was delivered, but if I pick it up myself I'm not going to be intimidated by the CC receipt asking for a tip where you sign, on those I'll just put a zero with a slash through it.
  • mickey48066
    a year ago
    I cant speak to trends but when I see a tip jar on the counter where I pay the cover charge, I refrain. Although I do it, I think a tip of a dollar for taking a lid off of a beer bottle is a lot. I'll take some candy and give the bathroom guy a dollar. I don't tip dancers who choose to sit down and tell me how their baby daddy was hopped up on meth and just totaled her car.

The servers you speak of are bearing the brunt of the ridiculous expectations to tip at fast food places when your lunch isn't made to order and places where you take something out of a cooler, walk it to the counter to pay for it, and there's a tip jar sitting there. Employees who aren't categorized not paid as tipped employees shouldn't be getting them.

• Elitis
    a year ago
    I tip, although begrudgingly. I don't pay attention to other people tipping, but occasionally some waitresses at a restaurant I frequent will mention when someone doesn't tip them. It's happened a handful of times. I'm more against the expectation of people tipping than tipping itself. Tipping is, and always will be, optional. It sucks that the service industry relies on them, but it doesn't change the fact.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    I don’t watch others tip. Conjecture wrt some racial pattern in another man’s tip activity is well beyond my interest.

In order of appearance I tip:

* Doorman gets change from door fee.
    * waitress gets change from drink fee (non alcoholic here in WA).
    * stage dancers get $5-$10 in 1s if I want them to stop by.
    * LDA dancers get their asking price plus $0-$20 depending on quality of service.
    * VIP dancers get their asking price plus $20-$50.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Most of the Baltimore clubs are tip walk clubs, so it’s pretty obvious when someone isn’t tipping. Because you’re expected to tip every girl at least a buck after her stage set, it chills the amount of stage tipping. If you stage tip in addition to paying on the tip walk, the girls really appreciate it. That’s the system we play in here, and it’s fine.

On drinks, I tend to tip $3. If I’m ordering multiple drinks, it’s $3 per drink or more if the dancer I’m with orders some complicated cocktail. In one of my local clubs, I routinely get extra uncounted time in the timed rooms. Is it because I tip? I don’t know but I’ll continue to tip.

Same as doc, standard tips at restaurants are 15/20/25%.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There are many parts of the world where tips are not part of the culture. Others where a tip is built into the bill automatically. Others where there are tips but they are much smaller than the US. Others where a tip is really an under the table bribe to assure things go well, especially for government employees.

I was in Spain years ago and my friends got angry that I left a tip on the table.

Plus, who came up with rule that determines which professions deserve a tip and which don’t ? A doctor saves your life and doesn’t get a tip. A waiter brings you a Diet Coke and expects a tip.
  • crosscheck
    a year ago
    I generally tip between 20-25% Ever since I delivered pizza in high school, I've tipped well to those working jobs where tips are a significant part of their income.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    In the 80's, one of my first jobs was working at a restaurant inside a high end department store. Only worked in the kitchen, not a waiter, so no tips for me. I made about $5.00/hr which was not bad. Minimum wage back then was $4.10 I think. Our boss came up with the idea of setting up a hot dog cart out in the store on weekends. He convinced the store manager it would give the place a New York City vibe, while earning extra revenue for the restaurant. He was right - people LOVED it. We sold a shit-ton of hotdogs.

He put me and my buddy in charge of the entire hot dog operation. (He must have fallen asleep during management training when they talked about pilferage and internal controls.) We even stopped at the Sabrett distributor to pick up all the supplies on our way into work on Saturday mornings. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but the markup on hot dogs is fuckin' ridiculous, and the P&L for our department got a nice bump, even after all the money we were stealing. We probably pocketed $50 bucks a day all in cash, which was about the same as either one of us earned legitimately. We would either split the proceeds or go out to a bar and spend it all.

Then my buddy suggested we should start putting a fucking tip jar on the cart. It was a pretty bold move because tip jars weren't common like nowadays. We'd bait the jar with a few singles folded lengthwise and sticking out the top. Sure as shit people started tipping and we more than doubled our "hot dog bonus" as we called it. Most of our customers were dudes who had a girlfriends or trophy wives burning up their credit cards in the shoe department or wherever while the guys hung out around our cart. They didn't think twice about tipping the hot dog guy.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    In college and law school I moved furniture. Very few people tipped, except New Yorkers, because about 98% of them tipped. In 1978 a friend and I moved a physician to Akron. We were supposed to hire 2 helpers at the agency. It was 98 that day and both no showed leaving two of us to unload and carry 17,000 pounds of household up a 50-foot driveway into a 3 level home. The physician shipper, a self-appointed workout warrior decided he'd help us after watching u for 6 hours. He lasted less than 30 minutes. It took us 11 hours. When we were done and he signed the paperwork he said: "I don't think I have ever or will ever seen anyone have to do such an awful job" and handed us a rack of beer and an envelope. $450.00 tip at a time we were paid $5.00 an hour. Hey, $5.00 was almost twice the minimum wage.
  • Dolfan
    a year ago
    I don't pay too much attention to what others are doing, but I do periodically notice the bartender being dissatisfied with their tip. The other day I noticed a guy not tip the bathroom dude, after he used his mouthwash and cologne. I only noticed because the bathroom guy was clearly annoyed as fuck, and he's pretty comical with his expressions.

For me, I tip waitresses and bartenders decently. Not enough where they're excited to see me or anything, but certainly not low enough where they'd rather not wait on me. 2 bucks a drink is probably typical. I tip dancers commensurate with their service level, or my interest in them. I don't do rejection tips or nonsense like that. Tip walks really depend. I'll play along if its the culture of the club, but as soon as I notice the girls taking advantage I shut down the whole thing, or leave.

There's a lot of situations I don't tip in out of ignorance. A few I don't out of principle. But in general I'll usually tip. Even for shitty service, I find a small tip makes it more clear that I was dissatisfied with the service than not tipping at all.
  • captainfun
    a year ago
    I waited tables and bartended for a couple years in college. The stereotypes about bad tippers by background are often true.

I even had some customers ask for the moon and then saying dumb shit like ‘I’m gonna take care you’ and then leaving a tiny tip. No real skin off my back in the big scheme but it has shaped my own biases.
    a year ago
    Only in the USA is a 10% tip considered (by the person receiving the free money) a shitty tip.
    Everyone is bitching about how inflation is making everything more expensive, then they can’t wait to increase the price of their dinner/coffee/beer etc. by an extra 25% by tipping.
    And why does a guy carrying my steak, plated by the kitchen staff, deserve a $50 tip on a $200 dinner but the kid in my neighborhood restaurant only gets $10 (even though that is also 25%) for doing the EXACT same thing.
    My daughter works in a higher end lounge and getting $500 extra a night is considered by her a below average night. And that is on top of her decent hourly wage.
    And the suggestion at the bottom of nearly every restaurant receipt “helping” you calculate if you want to leave 20/25/30% as if anything less is unacceptable is annoying. I can multiply thanks.
    Then to top it off now even clothing store, pet supply stores and book stores etc. offer you a “tip” option when you check out.
    I haven’t seen it yet but I expect I will soon see a tip jar at the self checkout kiosk.
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    It’s funny I work in a restaurant and often times you can tell how good a server did tip wise solely based on their attitude. I work in the kitchen and it doesn’t matter how hard I word I get paid the same amount.

Generally speaking I believe better service Will Always yield better tips. Sure you might get the occasional cheap skate but I can assure you they are a minority.

Point being, if you want to be consistently earning good tips provide good service!!
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    I should have wrote “the minority”. I don’t want people to misinterpret what I meant
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    Saw an article the other day - not making judgments either way - just thought it was interesting

A Door Dash driver says he declines 70% of all orders. If people don’t tip upfront or don’t enough he won’t pick up an order.
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    Motörhead that’s not exactly a bad strategy. Choosing quality over quantity. Works good for choosing dancers too lol
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    I tip at least 20% at sit-down restaurants, unless the service is complete shit. More if my order is cheap (they're still doing the work), or the server goes out of their way to do a great job. Around holidays, I'll drop a little more, too.

But I refuse to tip at coffee shops and fast food restaurants. I fucking hate when they swing the iPad in your direction, with the "no tip" box in red in order to chide you for not tipping. I also hate the "suggested tip" and "automatic tip" boxes. I have a visceral reaction to being hustled. It's a great way to assure I won't tip more than the bare minimum.
  • wallanon
    a year ago
    "Sure you might get the occasional cheap skate but I can assure you they are a minority."

LOL. I probably wouldn't have even read this if you hadn't brought it up, but it's a pretty funny typo.
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    Wallonon maybe cheap bastard would have been more appropriate lol
  • rickdugan
    a year ago
    Yes, from time to time I'll see someone who decides not to tip serving staff in a club. Each time the expression "penny conscious, pound foolish" rings in my head.

In the places I club, if you're paying cash and not tipping your bartender/waitress, they'll quickly forget that you exist. That means that you have to chase down every fresh drink, which is a PITA. And if you're drinking hard alcohol, you can safely assume that your pour is going to be shit. Conversely, it's amazing how smooth everything goes if you take care of them.

Now yes, like many, I'm not fond of having to deal with everyone with their hands out. But in a place like a strip club, a little love can go a long way. Also, tbh, for most of us tipping service staff is a tiny % of our spending in a club. So I make sure everyone gets taken care of, including the door girl and even the bathroom troll.
  • funonthaside
    a year ago
    Tipping SC staff often results in comped drinks, preferred seating, and even extra attention/time from dancers. Ultimately, you get back what you tipped in one form or another.

It is sometimes frustrating watching other custies bring cheap, but as I have learned from another thread, it's best to just focus on my own tipping, rather than be brought down by the dreggs of society.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    a year ago
    From a 100% selfish perspective, it only helps me when others in the club are being cheap.
  • docsavage
    a year ago
    I only tip a dollar for a drink. I don't want the drink and usually only buy it because sometimes the waitress or manager will start making a fuss about there being a drink minimum. Also, if I don't have a drink at my table and there are several waitresses I will be constantly asked if I want a drink. It's just easier to buy the drink. I don't like alcohol or soft drinks so I buy a bottle of water. I go to strip clubs to see the girls, not to drink or listen to the crappy music.
  • rockie
    a year ago
    I'm pretty much with doctorevil on rates, without the need to tell someone else what's right to tip in my view. That one tips at least a dollar for their drink is commonly what I see most often in strip clubs. I do see the "no tip" more often at bars and/or restaurants.

I have a particular distaste for the quibbling by any customer in any stripclubs regarding domestic beer prices when a domestic beer is $10 or under. That is subject to an expression by me that tends to be less than kind sometimes.
  • RiskA
    a year ago
    Doctorevil’s “traditional” rates became traditional because the law formerly generally permitted minuscule hourly rates for employees in “tipping” professions. In many places that’s now changed, with true minimum wage and “living wage” laws. So the “tradition” has been outdated by current realities in many places, like my entire State. Failing to adopt to the modern situation does nothing but overcompensate. Are you still paying for a home land line? Great call. I’m betting those supporting “traditional” rates in such places work hospitality jobs & enjoy overcompensation. Get with the times, if I have to pay menu prices funding $15 an hour for some slacker who can’t get better work, I’m not giving them 20-25% more for simply existing.
  • shanny72
    a year ago
    Buck a beer, 2 at night
    If the club has happy hour prices, regularly tipping whatever the discount is. At a regular spot, tipping up to 100% of the bill. It pays to be well known in a spot you really like
  • docsavage
    a year ago
    What's the proper strip club employee response to someone not tipping? I'm 67 years old. I was always very absent minded even when young but am even worse now that I'm past retirement age. I always tip but one time I forgot to, and a strip club waitress became quite angry at me. They need to cut the old half senile guy some slack in situations like that and not go overboard with the anger and hostility. I hope when that waitress gets old and forgetful, young people treat her the same way she treated me.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    @docsavage
    why didn't you just tip her the next time you visited that club, it happened to me years ago, not that I forgot, but the bartender that was taking my drinks shift ended and I didn't realize that until she had left. Next visit I walked right over to her and gave her a twenty and apologized that I didn't realize her shift was coming to an end. That happened almost twenty years ago and we've been friends ever since, as a matter of fact she provides me with intel on the girls in the club is always quick to buy me a beer.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    I find “I’m sorry. I made a mistake.” to work very well. I certainly don’t fault someone for taking issue with me after I’m the one who fucked up.
  • rickdugan
    a year ago
    Doc, the problem is that you're viewing it through your lens, not hers. All too many guys do that shit on purpose. You know that it was just an absent-minded mistake, but she doesn't. So it's understandable that she reacts bad when it happens - she relies upon that money to pay her bills.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion