tuscl

Only 3% of Black Male Homicides are Death by Police.

So why this narrative that suggests that all these deaths of black men are by the police. Black people are so fucked up that the only deaths that matter to them are ones caused by the police or white people. That's pathetic.

148 comments

• RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Strawman.

A cruel murder was caught on video and people of all colors are reacting. It brings back images of slavery, Jim Crow, public lynchings, and general violence against blacks. I think that's perfectly rational if you have any human empathy.

OT, I'm against defunding the police.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    You sound bored.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    ^ and dumb
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Nickiefree, we know your a black guy but that doesn't mean you should be generalizing like that by saying this color people this, this color people that. Come on man. That's the identity group nonsense the far left does to divide us. One group: Americans. Within that group you have those that contribute to make this a better place and those that don't. I'm not worried about your skin color, gender, creed, appearance, any of that.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    When I see George Floyd dying I don't think of slavery or lynchings or anything other than "I bet that's another person who decided to resist instead of just getting booked and getting a lawyer". The original poster, whom some claim is black, is entitled to their opinion and facts don't have the same sackless emotions on display here 24/7; they just are. Statistics don't lie; people do. If you die by homicide and we aren't at war its either someone you know killed you; someone you don't know killed you; or a copy killed you since we're just talking about violent death. When looked at it rationally 1%, 2%, or 3% makes perfect statistical sense and isn't worth urinating on one's self in faux outrage.
  • chessmaster
    4 years ago
    This is a narrative driven by the left to distract us. Nothing more.
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    U need yo ass beat
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    That # should be lower than 3%!! With enough protesting, rioting, and looting we could make change and lower that to 2.9%, easily. Cops lives matter, too.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    I can literally make a statistic validate my point no matter what side I'm arguing. That's statistics and also how I know a lot of yall are dumb
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    There's a conclusion people miss. Floyd died from what's generally a non-lethal tactic to bring a suspect under restraint. Absent that tactic, more lethal methods like tasering, batons, chockholds, and of course gunfire. That will only lead more deaths under arrest, not less. You're really causing an increase in deaths you seek to lower.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    Meat72- The lionshare of those deaths are in the course of gunfire and evasion from the police. You omit those from data and the percentage drops considerably. Yet a lot of the conversation nationally (even worldwide in some corners) graphs death by cop as the leading cause of black male deaths in the country.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    Muddy- I'm simply fed up with black folk, dusting under the carpet, the thousands of murders each year in black communities and over-reacting in cases where blacks are killed by the police or by someone white. No other race or ethnicity does this! How the hell do you expect other races/ethnicities to respect you when you don't respect yourself.

Yeah you might see a lot of white people demonstrating and in support of BLM. But that doesnt mean it's out of respect. Instead it's out of sympathy. Just like they might have sympathy for a dog. Sympathy for blacks, yes. Respect No!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Whether what the OP said is politically incorrect or "insensitive", IMO he has a point - any death that does not need to happen is one death too-many - but the constant singular narrative being driven that "they're killing us" is a false narrative by the data - I don't have the #s in front of me, but as the OP mentioned, if a black-person getting killed is an outrage, then the reality is that the bulk of the outrage should be against the black community (if blame is gonna start being placed of who's killing who).

I saw on TV a data-set from the Department of Justice that showed that when it comes to violent-crime b/w races, 90% is black-on-white crime - add that too the black-on-black crime and if one wants to place blame then one should conclude the black people need to fear black people way more than the police or white people - and by the data, white people should fear black people more than black people fearing white people.

I'm not trying to state that black people should be labeled dangerous killers b/c the reality is that it's a small minority that is causing havoc and often victimizing other black people - nor am I saying the #s tell the whole-story b/c I def believe in context when something is being analyzed - but it is kinda intellectually insulting to drive the singular narrative that cops and the rest of non-black America is looking to kill black-people the first-chance they get, the reality is that is not the case either per the eye-test or by the data of who's committing most of the violent-crimes on who.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Eff it I'll bite. Papi, isn't it a bit intellectually insulting to drive the narrative of black on black crime when white on white crime is a similar percentage yet the term white on white crime is unheard of? See, statistics comment I made earlier. Also, what if I showed you evidence of talks, marches, policy actions that leaders within the black community presented to address this black on black crime narrative a lot of yall seem to love to use to justify policing in america. Would you stop saying black people only speak when its police/whites killing blacks? Why do you think black folks don't talk about or fight against this violence? Is it because you don't see it portrayed in media? That's my guess. Well borrowing from a 2A guy I respect: media = Most Effective Devil In America. I just don't understand how some will understand that one way then fully embrace the media another way. That's a lie, I actually do know.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    There are many permutations - my point is that the data I've seen presented is that the large majority of violent-crime against blacks does not come from the police nor white-people - yet the current narrative being presented is as if most black deaths are occurring b/c of racism which the data/#s by far does not support.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    So, what I infer by that comment is we don't walk and chew gum at the same time. Until "black on black" crime is at an absolute 0, we will not address racism, police brutality, etc, right?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Racism is not at zero - but the biggest problems in the black community over the last few decades are often black-induced vs "the whiteman keeping down black-people" - many studies that have been done point to a huge correlation of crime/incarceration and the lack of a father in the home, yeah I'm sure this is a no-no comment in the current-climate and likely a "racist" comment, so yeah might as well not even mention it and not "offend anyone" - and yeah, I know that not having a father in the home does not mean one will automatically become a criminal - also, the reality is that those that do well in our society are often the ones with college-degrees no-matter what the race - it doesn't take a genius to know that anyone that only has a high school degree, or no high-school degree, is gonna have a much harder time getting ahead in today's economy - yet there is a huge problem w.r.t. black students graduating high-school or finishing-college, and it's not always b/c black people don't have opportunities, cities like Chicago and Baltimore are among the cities that spend most on a per-student basis yet have some of the worse graduating/test scores - many of these difficulties are due to structural issues in the black communities that are not due to the whiteman's actions vs blacks.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    College bubble. We can adress that topic at another time. So your go to for Chicago and Baltimore is structural issues in black communities? I'd like to present a list of reading materials that would outline these whiteman's actions you refer to as I'm quite comfortable saying you don't know what you're talking about. But that would be a waste of time as you see that as an excuse rather than a condition to overcome.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    So every failure of a black person is whitey keeping him down? If he turns to a life of crime vs college it's b/c the whiteman made him do it - ok - I understand - black people can't think and act for themselves, they are at the mercy of racism and can't choose their actions for themselves.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Not at all. People make choices, we 100% agree there. Where we begin to diverge in thought is your belief that whitey did nothing while I can show you policy/law where whitey did and got said result.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Well - to my dismay - I guess we will not be able to solve the race-issue on a TUSCL thread
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Daddyfatsack Not for nothing my best friend is a black man and has been my friend for over 45 years, all I will say to you is what he said to an employee of mine that said something similar to what you just said
    He said what is the name of the white man thats been assigned to you we can go and have a talk with him,
    Nobody specific you say, then shut the fuck up and get to work You need to take care of yourself just like us.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Twentyfive, that reading list I have that none of you will actually entertain gives tons of names. I get why your guy said the assignment comment, do you?

Also, this comment aligns with what I said in another thread: "this is how it is and how it always will be so help me god, so shut up."
  • Rickberge
    4 years ago
    Lol the Black on Black crime argument. The go to move for every person that dont want to discuss police brutality among blacks.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Not only do I get why my friend said what he said I had this relationship with my buddy since high school
    I’m not against you or anyone else but as a business owner for many more years than I care to remember I’m sick and tired of being someone’s excuse for not thriving
    I get the overt racism and I deplore it, but I also am sick of lazy entitled shitheads of any race that think I owe them a living
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    I see your side and will address that. Completely understand your frustration bearing the criticism of people who feel like they aren't successful because of you and the decisions you make to grow a thriving business. That's not fair, right, intelligent or fits the ideals this country says it believes in.

And along those same lines I believe its not fair, right, intelligent or fits the ideals this country says it believes in when seeing black people the automatic response by the majority is to blame and demonize those people with absolute no regard for history, current and past policy, structure while using statistics to justify actions against them.

• daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    See I'm very reasonable when not calling folks stupid. Notice how the dumb ones haven't chimed in
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Lol the Black on Black crime argument. The go to move for every person that dont want to discuss police brutality among blacks ..."

That's the problem - it is not discussed with the same fervor and now it seems it can't even be mentioned lest you are considered "out of touch" or a racist or a sell-out - if black lives matter so much, why isn't the problem attacked where it is the biggest - it's a legitimate argument especially in the face of the current singular-chants that there is an epidemic of black deaths at the hands of non-blacks and/or police when it's not the case and the actual epidemic lies elsewhere - the reality is that by far the ones inflicting violence seemingly w/o mercy on most blacks is a minority of other blacks - that is not an assumption, it's a fact - reduce black violent crime to the levels of other races and see what kind of effects that has on the black community - this is an inconvenient fact but a fact nevertheless.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Daddyfatsack
    I do get your points and I’ve said many times that I’m not unsympathetic
    There is a lot of positive statements made on both sides and I do appreciate positivity
    But I resent the hell out of people that seem to think anyone owes them any more than a fair chance
    Sometimes it works out and I have mentored more than a few young men and women in my time, and sometimes it doesn’t work and you need to try something else, but and I stress this fact I never entered into this halfhearted so if you aren’t willing to put in an equal effort you will not see an equal success
    Trust this it ain’t necessary to call folks stupid even though I do occasionally because it’s funny
    The smart folks know who’s stupid right off and who gives a shit what the stupid ones think anyway
  • Rickberge
    4 years ago
    @PC we are not talking about the black community and crime going on in their community right now. We are talking about police brutality on blacks. Like I said, people always bring this up to change the narrative. And as you may know there is "white on white" crime as there is any other type of crime. Crime happens according to proximity. So yes a black community will have crime within their community just like a white community.

Also, there are programs and people addressing this issue. You may not see it because either (A) you dont live in the black community and (B) the efforts are not portrayed on TV. But trust me, it is happening.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    So you're saying you want to see those links papi as you don't believe they exist. I got you and as a matter of fact I'll do videos if you don't want to read:

https://youtu.be/L00GSqL4-VM
    https://youtu.be/xmoKt348tY8
    https://youtu.be/j5Vk3nvMpz4
    https://youtu.be/uWNTMmktoCQ
    https://youtu.be/-8zyilOZHLU
    https://youtu.be/v_6bYj6LXdM

I'll stop there. So you are going to insult all these people doing work in these communities and say blacks only complain about police and whitey huh? Not very genuine. Are you going to keep perpetuating a lie because it alingns with your feelings?
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    And this is it right here twentfive: But I resent the hell out of people that seem to think anyone owes them any more than a fair chance

There is appears to be an extreme difference between groups what a fair chance is. One side says says I want a fair shot and the other hears you want special treatment because you're black. If I'm off on that please let me know.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    @berge

I get your point - my personal point is not that there isn't any racism at all in America, but that blaming all, or most, of black-folks' current issues/circumstances at the feet of others comes across to me an unfair, inaccurate, and most of all counterproductive - yes in past decades racism was the biggest thing keeping black-persons down, but in my lifetime (last 5-decades post 1970) I see black folks being much more affected by other black folks and by their own choices/actions vs the choices/actions of others upon them - I disagree with argument of an epidemic of black-death at the hands of non-black-America and disagree with argument that non-black-America is what's keeping present-day blacks from getting ahead.

In this current day-and-age, lest the extremists on both sides, I think most folks want what's best for everyone regardless of race, I don't necessarily see a concerted effort by any particular race trying to keep any particular race down - I actually think we are closer than it seems it terms of the desires for equality, and episodes like these do at least get the dialogue going/continue-it, but it can't just be a one-sided one-argument deal, there's work to be done on all sides as far as I'm concerned.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    @stacks

Yes - as a society we are still not where we need to be in terms of how we view each other based on race, there is still a good-amount left to be done there - it's understandable that blacks and whites may not often see things from the same POV/reference-point b/c of differences in circumstances - but again it goes both ways - yes black folks shouldn't be viewed differently than white folks especially when one does not know the person, but it goes both ways - the way some blacks talk about whites is as if white-people got together once-a-month to strategize how to keep black-people down when the reality white people are focused on dealing w/ their own problems (if anything we get together at most once a year to strategize against blacks, not on a damn regular-basis, what the hell).
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    We are the some total of our experiences. It's interesting to here non-black folks perspective on the issue of racism. Some really do listen and think. Others are so caught up in their own thing that can't venture beyond their own wall. Still others try to justify certain positions because of facts and figures presented in the media. I don't think blaming is the answer but it's frustrating when folk won't face the fact someone from another existence in this country has an experience different from yours. Blaming causes people to get defensive but it's necessary to get that frustration out because it didn't start yesterday. This issue is over 400 years old. Has there been progress. In certain areas but it isn't enough. With any hot-button issue stuff is going to come up that makes us uncomfortable but don't leave the table. Listen...even if you can't relate. Listen...even if it doesn't seem to make sense to you. Then analyze and study a broader spectrum of history. Not just the "edited for television" version. Check out ideas from those scholars that don't look like you. Keep the conversation going.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    LOL! I do appreciate talking this thru with you guys as we have more similarites than differences. Like you said its basically comes down to POV for those who aren't staight card carrying evil sister fucking inbreds
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Hey look - we gave you guys most of the NBA and most of the NFL, *and* BET - what else do you want
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ we've been very generous in the last couple of decades
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    Regarding the police---it's not always the big incidents that are disturbing. It's the little indecencies. In 2000 I was driving my brand new green some may say sports car through Beverly Hills late one night. I was going very much under the speed limit in a residential area. A police car pulled me over. I quickly hit speed dial on my cell and called my cousin who was an Assistant DA in Inglewood and told him quickly what was up as the cop approached my car. I put the cell on the dash board with the speaker on so my cousin could hear what was to follow. I put both hands on the steering wheel. The officer asked me what I was doing in the neighborhood and where I was going that late at night. I told him I had just come from San Diego and I was on my way home which was north east of Beverly Hills. He asked to see my license and I showed it to him. My cousin chimed in and asked to speak to the officer. This startled the man. I looked at him and explained that my cousin an ADA was on the line the entire time. My cousin repeated his request and asked for the officer's name and I said it. The officer gave my back my license, got in his car and left. Had I not been a man of color driving a sporty car late at night would I have been pulled over? Had I not been trained in how to deal with this kind of typical humiliation tactic and not had a significant legal person with some juice behind me, what could have happened? Fortunately, we'll never know. But there have been many attempted indignities like this thrown at me. I don't get violent or act a fool. But I don't take shit lying down either. It's not about me blaming the officer. It's about how I , and many others, have to be hyper-vigilant everyday.
  • Rickberge
    4 years ago
    @PC I understand your point and how you may feel that there is no Racism in America but come on man. Maybe not to you because you dont or wont experience it but it's there. But I do agree that people get racism and prejudice mixed up. We are doing better with racism (systematic approach to keep one from striving based off of color and culture) but it's not 100% gone.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    @oscar

I assume that may happen more to blacks - I would not doubt it - but police mistreatment is not unique to blacks, often times socio-economics has as much to do with it.

I live in a working-class Cuban suburb - particularly in past years I would come home late at night and couldn't find parking in my complex - I would then have to park on the street sometimes 2 or 3 blocks away and walk home - I've had a police officer (Cuban like myself) stop me and ask me in an accusatory tone where I was going when all I was doing was walking home (not as if I was standing-around or anything) - a couple of other times I've had unbeknownst to me a cop behind me with his lights off as I was slowly driving late at night looking for a spot to park, these are all Cuban/Cuban-descent cops and I'm Cuban also - yeah at the moment I was SMH but the reality is my working-class Cuban hood does have a fair # of non-violent crime such as car break-ins etc. OTOH - I have family in Boca Raton (a mostly well-to-do area 2 counties north) that I visit often, and my few interactions w/ police there over many years I've received 5-star treatment. In my case, the people doing mischief in my neighborhood are usually people that look like me, and thus in some ways it seems I at times get profiled depending on the circumstances - but I have never took it as racism nor being picked-on, just an unfortunate side-effect of some of the issues in my particular hood.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I understand your point and how you may feel that there is no Racism in America ..."

Maybe I mistyped or you misunderstood the way I typed it - my point is *not* that there isn't any racism (per my comment "... Racism is not at zero ..." - maybe it was poorly worded) - my point is *not* that racism is nonexistent, but that in our present-day I don't believe it's the biggest nor only impediment to black America - it's my opinion per what I observe, it's not always easy, particularly in our modern-day, to know exactly how much of it is reality and how much of it is perception.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @daddyfatsack I don't know what anyone else considers a fair chance, in my defense I own a pretty decent size business and have a fairly diverse group of employees, of which 60% are with me longer than 10 years, and 25% are with me longer than 3 years so I would guess the majority feels like they are getting a fair chance. Does that answer your question.
  • ilbbaicnl
    4 years ago
    @oscarlomax that is really fucked up. It makes me ashamed as an American that shit like that can happen to a fellow American in our own country.
  • SmashingHoes
    4 years ago
    No racism in America? Yea ok crackerjack. You can go back into your bubble now.

I find it funny that a bunch of old cantankerous white men will sit and pontificate about what the biggest problem hindering the progress of African Americans when they are oblivious to the fact that WHITE PRIVILEGE exists and that systematic racism has manifested itself has manifested itself in several social and political institutions. The fact that several posters conflated Black on Black crime with the BLM highlights their narrow mindedness as it pertains to the origins of the Black Lives Matter movement. I'm sure that NONE of you non black individuals on this aren unable to empathize with my fellow black brethren on how the color of your skin can simply lead to negative or harmful ramifications, even without doing anything illegal.

Black people cant even fight for basic civil rights when there several caucasians in position of power who perceive them as sub humans or animals. What do you think was the impetus of the Jim Crow laws were for? Systematic racism just became more clandestine after the Civil Rights movement but the election of this cheeto devil has embolden knuckle draggers to be overt with their racist views. Racism is also evident with while liberals as they believe that Obama being elected or voting for him will mask the fact that they will disregard black lives when it becomes convenient for them.

Racism is structural and has been interwoven into the fabric of our society since the founding of this nation.

Some of you need to just shut the fuck up and and truly listen to black folks when they are telling you their experiences.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Another fella who might benefit from Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People "
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    'Only' 3% ? So what number does that equate to? What is the percentage for caucasian men?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    It would be far less given that only 2-3 times as many white men are killed by the police, but their numbers are more than 2-3 times more than black males.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    oscar says:
    " I was going very much under the speed limit...

Had I not been a man of color driving a sporty car late at night would I have been pulled over? Had I not been trained in how to deal with this kind of typical humiliation tactic and not had a significant legal person with some juice behind me, what could have happened?"

Special training and a lawyer? Hardly needed to not act belligerent and let someone look at your license.

Again, why conclude racism? You were probably pulled over because you were going too slow. That's pretty unusual and something that's a sign of drunk driving.

Anyway, again, it's something that stuff happens to white people too. Once my 70 year old mom picked me up one late night to give me a ride home and a cop pulled us over for not using a turn signal. Then after checking my moms license explained that he really pulled us over because we had taken an unusual route through the neighborhood because I had belatedly decided to go for some food instead of going straight home.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    @Yahtzee
    I didn't say racism. But I will be clearer here. That situation coupled with many similar situations I and many other black folk, crossing all socio-economic lines, points to structural bias. It wasn't that I was driving too slow as other cars in front of me were driving at the same rate. They passed the officer and he chose me to pull over. Look at it for what it is. I'm not saying police don't pull over other people for different reasons. I'm just saying those reasons don't apply to me. Not when this kind of thing has with more regularity to me and similiar folk. It's a pattern. The first step in correcting a problem is identifying it. When you hear thousands of people say the same thing, pay attention. It's an issue! I work both in the entertainment industry and the field of public education. The majority of my colleagues of color have experienced the same thing. And a few of them have higher levels of contacts that I in the justice system.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "Papi, isn't it a bit intellectually insulting to drive the narrative of black on black crime when white on white crime is a similar percentage yet the term white on white crime is unheard of? See, statistics comment I made earlier."

Daddy, just because you cannot properly quote or understand their value doesn't mean that the stats are meaningless, just that you are too limited to use them properly.

The simple reality is that blacks commit 50% of all murders, yet represent only 13% of the population. Overwhelmingly their victims are other blacks. While I agree that there are plenty of white on white murders as well, those simple realities above mean that blacks are dying at a far higher rate per capita from the hands of their own peeps than whits are from theirs.

Read that slowly if you need to. I know that things like "per capita" may be a little confusing for you, but spend some time Googling it and you may understand the broader picture better.

But all of this is besides the point. Police are not ordinary people. They are given a public trust, which comes with it extraordinary powers and (presumably) training in how to properly use them. When they kill someone who is unarmed or, worse, already in their custody, it is an unforgivable abuse of that public trust. That should never happen, ever. Trying to compare it to other black crime stats is just side noise.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Since 2002 I have been stopped by the police 50 -60 times, including every three day weekend last summer. If I were black, I would blame race. I am not so looking at it objectively I realized that the most ticketed car in America every year, by far, is the Subaru WRX, which lo and behold I have been driving since 2002. This of course doesn't explain why 7 of those times were in rental cars, but I will blame that on alcohol.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    Stats are just numbers. The real deal is the cause. A stat cannot explain that. What we are seeing are the devastating side-effects from a 400 year-old atrocity. During the ensuing years, some people benefited from this atrocity and other people were further denigrated. That's why the Mitch McConnell balk at reparations, (I'm paraphrasing)"I wasn't personally responsible so it makes no senses for me to pay." But the truth is Mitch, and those that echo that stupid sentiment, is you benefited from the results. Cut the excuses and deal with the real shit. Stop hiding behind distractions. It's annoying, exhausting, and insulting. True, whatever we do now will never make up 400 years of inhumanity but, it can help to build a future where our children won't have to inherit the trauma in the same way we have. To understand where I'm coming from, you must dare to step outside of "COLONIAL" mindset.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Suppossedly folks that worked with both with Floyd and Chauvin at the nightclub are saying there were issues b/w them - makes one think what transpired was perhaps due in large part to their past history vs a spur of the moment thing - not that it makes it less bad but adds a twist.

Coincidentally the club they worked at was burned down.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Rick you are not prepared for me to take you to a statistics class. Why in the world can't the dumb ones sit out sometimes?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Kind of funny that 75 years ago the Nazis gassed and burned 6-7 million Jews, which at least to me seems worse that being a slave, and yet they managed to recover from the loss of 25% of their entire population. Go figger.....
  • etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    American Indians are the most oppressed and deserve reparations more than any other race. Put the following against any others: 1) Took their good land and herded them to areas others could not survive in (deserts & rocky hills). 2) Little to no education opportunities in area. 3) No health care system in place. 4) Non-industrial area, so no jobs. 5) Took guns away and replaced with alcohol. 6) Attacked by overwhelming military force.

• skibum609
    4 years ago
    Not one group of people on earth deserve reparations. Non-starter.
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    I see team stupid has reported for duty. I'm out yall can have at it
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ Well then it seems that team stupid has just left the building. Hopefully he'll take that time to become better acquainted with the data that he was so badly misrepresenting.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Wah, wah, wah said the thin skinned ignorant bully who upon discovering his bullying had failed; ran away. No wonder some groups fail.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    >Stats are just numbers. The real deal is the cause. A stat cannot explain that. What we are seeing are the devastating side-effects from a 400 year-old atrocity.

No, what you are seeing is the devastating effect of about half of black males not getting an education and basically dropping out of society. You can't blame systemic racism because so many black males drop out of the system before they even become adults. In 2010 only 52% of black males graduated high school. So 48% had already dropped out. They don't even give the system and society a chance.

>To understand where I'm coming from, you must dare to step outside of "COLONIAL" mindset.

I'm not hearing any of this colonial bullshit.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    People really are math illiterate. Homicides by police accounts for a fraction of 1% of all homicides for black people. Over 90% of the homicides of black people are committed by other black people. 3% would be a huge number.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    As per a recent Washington Post analysis, more white people are killed by police every year than black people. Also, black police officers are much more likely to shoot and kill a black person than a white police officer
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    A police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than a police officer is to kill an unarmed black male.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "People really are math illiterate. Homicides by police accounts for a fraction of 1% of all homicides for black people. Over 90% of the homicides of black people are committed by other black people. 3% would be a huge number."

That comparison is pointless. Police are not ordinary people. They are given a public trust, which comes with it extraordinary powers and (presumably) training in how to properly use them. When they kill someone who is unarmed or, worse, already in their custody, it is an unforgivable abuse of that public trust. That should never happen, ever. Trying to compare it to other black crime stats is just side noise.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    I don’t disagree with you. There are many issues at play - like deadly force training and the proliferation of illegal guns and crime, especially in the big cities. A city cop who sees a lot of dead bodies in the street in these cities where there are hundreds of homicides each year, who see a fellow cop killed occasionally and who go from one “man with a gun” call after another every night is going to be more likely to shoot someone they perceive as a threat, regardless of race.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Somewhat off topic, but anyone who thinks someone with a knife is not an immediate threat is misinformed. A trained person with a knife within 10 feet can kill you quicker and more surely than most people with a gun. “Shooting them in leg” is a pretty stupid suggestion.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @papi “ Suppossedly folks that worked with both with Floyd and Chauvin at the nightclub are saying there were issues b/w them - makes one think what transpired was perhaps due in large part to their past history vs a spur of the moment thing - not that it makes it less bad but adds a twist.”

The guy recanted his story. Says he confused Floyd with a different black guy and now doesn’t remember if Floyd and Chauvin knew each other. Story just broke in last day or so and seems weird. In original interview he said he knew Floyd very well. Maybe he was just trying to get on tv but something’s a bit weird.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @dugan “That comparison is pointless. Police are not ordinary people. They are given a public trust, which comes with it extraordinary powers and (presumably) training in how to properly use them. When they kill someone who is unarmed or, worse, already in their custody, it is an unforgivable abuse of that public trust. That should never happen, ever. Trying to compare it to other black crime stats is just side noise.”

Fuck me. It was bound to happen. Dugan and I agree on something. All deaths are not the same. Getting killed by someone who is supposed to be protecting, serving and working for you is much, much worse than being killed by a rival gang member. I don’t care if the cop is white or black or if the victim is white or black. I do know I’ve seen enough disturbing videos and read enough disturbing accounts that I agree with what Kap and BLM are asking for, that police killings of blacks should be investigated. Do the investigation and get us on some road to unity. (Extra words included so that Dugan can tell me why I’m agreeing with him wrong and he can call me McNutty.) With a wink for good measure. 😉
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    @McNulty - Time for me to jump back in, and your last post is a good entry point. I know of two black women who were killed by black gang members because they protested gang violence. As far as equality of death goes, the death by the gang members is far more severe because of the effect it has on that specific neighborhood/community.

Whatever the consequences of Floyd's death, it had absolutely no effect on my existence as a black man in America. None. Completely inconsequential. However even without living in the neighborhood these slain women lived in, their deaths are consequential to me. So you can only image the effect it has on people with the misfortune to live in those neighborhoods.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "Fuck me. It was bound to happen. Dugan and I agree on something. "

I guess this means that you aren't stupid all of the time. 😉
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    @Yahtzee
    Do you even hear yourself? You keep spouting these stats that occur because of atrocity that happened 400 years ago in this country. Classic not looking at real cause and taking refuge statistical bullshit! And yes the "colonial" mindset is real. Until you deal with the reality, you'll be forever traveling in an echo chamber. But that's who you are. Fortunately there are others who aren't afraid to look at what's real instead just clinging to a hollow knee-jerk reaction.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @nicki

That’s kinda my point. All deaths are not the same. You agree you care differently about the black on black deaths of people you know about. The tens (hundreds?) of thousands of racially diverse international protestors care about police brutality against blacks. Are they a majority? Maybe. But without a doubt there is a large and growing part of the population that wants an investigation into or action against police brutality.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Scott Adams has an interesting take on reparations. The correct way to calculate reparations is to determine the economic impact of the criminal action. In the case of descendants of slaves, compare their current economic situation in the US to the average economic condition of the descendants of Africans who are still in Africa.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Yeah, go into Compton and ask for a bunch of thank you’s for doing black people favor by enslaving their ancestors. Take video.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I never enslaved anyone. Neither did any of my ancestors. They all arrived in America after 1865.

On the other hand, there are African Americans descended from slavers and slave owners, including Barack Obama ( on his mother’s side ). Incidentally, Barack has no ancestors who were ever slaves. Just slave owners.

Do I owe Barack reparations ?

• etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    @Mark94......Great point, but your logic will be ignored in today's environment.
  • sideshow_bob
    4 years ago
    Asking cops to deal nicely in a situation of a resisted arrest is insane. Cops are dealing with criminals. They may be inebriated. They may be big and strong. They. May be highly aggressive. Sometimes all three. The cop is supposed to be even tempered and restricted in action while the criminal has no rules.

What sane person would become a police if they are put under ridiculous rules of engagement where they are expected to either risk serious injury or fail at the purpose of the job.

• Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    @bob “The cop is supposed to be even tempered and restricted in action while the criminal has no rules.”

Yes, that is exactly right.
  • deucestrip
    4 years ago
    Can we stop comparing street violence to murder by cop... Seriously not even in the same discussion and you all sound ignorant trying to use statistics to justify that an ordinary citizen committing a crime against another ordinary citizen some how equates or invalidates the lack of equal protection and policing in our country. I should be safe around police officers and not have to worry about be killed IN HANDCUFFS. Like what exactly are we comparing? Your so called stats amount to nothing when you are comparing apples to murder. You want some stats... 38,000 people were killed by cars last year but only 15,000 by guns...maybe we should all just walk with rifles and do something about our car problem.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    no argument is solely one-sided - if one wants their opinions heard, then they must be willing to hear the opinions of others even if one does not agree with them - shutting down others' opinions and making it just one-sided is counterproductive to coming to an agreement
    4 years ago
    @ducestrip - your statistics are skewed to prove what? Almost 40,000 people a year are killed by guns (and another 100,000 injured) each year in the U.S.A.
    4 years ago
    @bob - “The cop is supposed to be even tempered and restricted in action while the criminal has no rules.”

Not only is that correct but your not mentioning that the cop has access to almost unlimited backup, weapons arsenal, training and if he hasn't squandered it; the public will be on his side.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    Oscar,

>@Yahtzee
    >Do you even hear yourself? You keep spouting these stats that occur because of atrocity that happened 400 years ago in this country.

I have quoted one stat. How does something that happened 400 years ago, 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago keep someone from graduating high school in the 21st century?

>Classic not looking at real cause and taking refuge statistical bullshit! And yes the "colonial" mindset is real. Until you deal with the reality, you'll be forever traveling in an echo chamber.

Echo chamber? I was seeing a black woman for 2 1/2 years and while I heard a few rants about how racist the world is (and that black people don't like police) I never experienced anything while we were together and she never told me any personal stories or a stories from someone she knew. Just stuff she saw about other people on youtube or the internet. If the world is that tragically racist then in 30 months I should have seen a little bit of it too.

Also, the forum of one of my hobbies is filled with liberals so I hear it all the time. They are also run by liberal moderators so anyone who dares to voice a differing opinion has their message deleted or is banned.

>Fortunately there are others who aren't afraid to look at what's real instead just clinging to a hollow knee-jerk reaction.

And fortunately there are also black academics who can see the real problems too. So there is hope.

• rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> “The cop is supposed to be even tempered and restricted in action while the criminal has no rules.”

Yes. Adhering to a set of rules is the very difference between a cop and a criminal.

But bob, I also found the rest of your argument disingenuous. In the overwhelming majority of these situations, the cops significantly outnumber the perp, which makes your attempt to re-frame the argument that way a little misleading. Nobody is telling a cop not to protect himself in some crazy one-off situation where he is isolated with a violent perp.
  • VanessaM
    4 years ago
    I’m a black. Don’t know if anyone remembers but I used to go by Bharlem81

Question.....

Why do y’all call it blk on blk crime?
    So, white people dont kill each other?
    Doesn’t who you kill determines who ya most commonly around?

Why does blk on blk crime have to be non existent for us to get others respect?
    Can y’all get white on white crime down to zero too? Or is that just for us?

FYI I hate the term blk on blk crime. It’s only used by others to give a reason to overlook our issues, because we all know white people kill white people too
  • VanessaM
    4 years ago
    A far as lazy black women are starting more businesses now than all others in this country.

What you others watch are snippets of what the media wants you to see. We don’t walk around talking about whitey this whitey that. BUT when there is a video after video of police killing people. Are we not supposed to rise up and fight. If it wasn’t for us the exotic women y’all desire so much you wouldn’t even be able to walk down the street with. We did that.

• mark94
    4 years ago
    There were 1,000 people killed by police last year. Exactly 9 of those 1,000 were unarmed African Americans. Now, that’s 9 too many. But, is the appropriate response to burn down our cities and defund police ?

How many people would die from violent crime in a year if criminals didn’t need to worry about being arrested ? More than 9 ? More like 9,000.

The solution is to identify and terminate bad cops. The cop who murdered George Floyd had a history of over 20 disciplinary accusations. How did that happen ? How many more cops are on the street with a history of violence ? Let’s identify them and fire them all, along with the supervisors who let them slide. If it’s a systemic problem in a police department, fire the police chief and his direct reports. If the police union is guilt of protecting bad cops, hold them accountable.

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ how many unarmed non-black?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    17 unarmed whites. I don’t know about Hispanic
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    @ deucestrip On a one-to-one ratio, no. But we are talking tens of thousands of murders in the US, and which black s (black men in particular) share astronomically higher rates of instances. But anyway, the original point of my post was lost days ago. The narrative that the police are larger responsible for the deaths of black men is absurdly false.

You'll notice that the media isn't fact checking that stupid assertion. It's just another example of how the media is bias to present a particular viewpoint. I'm no right-winger(far from it in fact). But have long agreed with their complaint about media bias.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ So there’s no bias in right wing media SMH
    Your bias is showing.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    mark, where did you get your information about unarmed killings?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... So there’s no bias in right wing media ..."

Definitely - I def lean conservative in almost all things thus would watch Fox News and would listen to conservative radio - I had stopped watching Fox News for a couple of years b/c it's too biased towards conservatives where they hardly ever call anything out when wrong - but problem is most of the media is left-of-center if not way-left and has been like that for a couple of decades so something was needed to give a different POV.

As I mentioned - I hadn't watched Fox-News for a couple of years but started watching it recently after the protests b/c everything you saw on mainstream media was celebratory of the protests and they rarely if at all called-out/criticized the many wrong-doings from the protests - it got to the point I have even stopped watching ESPN b/c everything about the protests is "they are freedom fighters to be admired" and "white people are and have always been evil" and I gotta consistently hear this one-and-only narrative even of fucking ESPN - it got so bad I even stopped listening to sports radio b/c it was the same shit of no one daring to say anything but how awesome the protests were; I even had to switch to conservative radio from sports radio when I wanna lay in bed and just listen to the radio b/c almost every outlet is "wow these young freedom fighters really get it and are awesome and everyone better think the same thing or else".
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I don't know about that @ Papi, AFAIC if there is an identifier in front like left wing, or right wing, it;s all suspect, as far as bias is concerned it's getting stupid, sometimes there's bias just for the hell of being biased, I'm so tired of folks thinking they can label everyone according to their beliefs, some things are just wrong and we all know it yet there is always a certain idiot that wants to keep the drama going for no real reason.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Shit - watching the news and it seems a black-man was shot in Atlanta by the police and looks like it was a white police-officer
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    The Atlanta shooting happened in a Wendy's parking lot near an interstate. I just heard on the radio the Wendy's is being vandalized and protester has have have shut down the interstate.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    The guy was drunk and passed out in the drive through. The GBI has released video of the incident. He fought with the police, got a Taser from one, took off running, then turned and pointed the Taser at the cop, and was then shot. Looks like a justifiable shooting to me.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ no it's not justifiable - the police needs to make sure - the officer needs to wait till the suspect actually starts shooting at him for the officer to be sure and shoot back - that's common sense (at least now)
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    Someone else in that drive-thru recorded the whole scene on their phone and the video went viral very fast on Twitter, and it doesn't show the man aiming the taser back at the cop (they turned their phone away right before he got shot) like the surveillance video did. I think people are also acting out because they saw that footage, but not the surveillance cam that showed everything.

And that Wendy's is in flames now as we speak.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ the vid I saw showed him pointing the taser at the cop as he ran away but I didn't see the part where the office shot him - but it's fucked up that the mayor of Atlanta is already calling it an unjustified shooting so early-on w/o the full investigation being completed.
  • NAAAASTY
    4 years ago
    what happens if Derek Chauvin gets off on murder charges??

https://medium.com/@gavrilodavid/why-der…

"Rather than indicating illegal and excessive force, they instead show an officer who rigidly followed the procedures deemed appropriate by the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD). The evidence points to the MPD and the local political establishment, rather than the individual officer, as ultimately responsible for George Floyd’s death."

NAAAASTY
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    How long until Wendy's issues a press release stating how it was ok for their restaurant to be torched? lol
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ I heard Wendy's plans to torch additional Wendy's restaurants themselves to show solidarity
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    "It's okay, the burgers weren't good anyway."
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Damn - I forgot - my mom was in the mood for a Whopper so I got her one from the BK down the street from her place - I guess the smell got me in the mood; a little while later I actually hit a Wendy's to get a Baconator - little did I know what had occurred overnight at an ATL Wendy's.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I heard they already fired the cop - seems pretty-fast - I assume they had convincing evidence but seems pretty-fast given what went down.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    The article posted by Naaaasty is very long, but also very interesting. It puts the whole Floyd death controversy in a very different light. I was definitely of the perspective that the officer’s actions were totally unjustified, but now I’m not so sure. I already thought that it was overreaching when the charges were raised from 3d degree murder to 2d degree murder. I’m no expert in Minnesota criminal law, but the pundits on TV say the difference is that 2d degree requires proof of intent to kill, while 3d degree requires only proof of reckless disregard for the consequences of one’s action, and I’ll take them at their word. Generally speaking, I don’t think cops are the smartest people out there, but I also don’t think they are the stupidest. The cop that had his knee on Floyd’s neck knew he was being observed by numerous civilian witnesses, several of whom were videoing him. Does anyone really believe he intentionally killed Floyd knowing he was being videotaped while doing it? Come on. I think it is reasonable to argue that he recklessly disregarded the possibility or even probability that continuing to apply pressure to Floyd’s neck with his knee might kill him. But after reading the article posted by Naaasty, I’m not even sure that can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    There s supposed to be a pro law-enforcement rally in downtown Miami which is in the same area where the "protesters" are - let's see what happens
  • Roosterboy
    4 years ago
    I know I'm a few days late on this thread, but it's interesting that almost every single person is backing themselves up with nothing but anecdotes, even while claiming to have sources on the subject. Since I haven't seen too many sources, I'll leave a few below. It's gonna be a long comment, but at the end I'll draw up some quick conclusions of my own for anyone interested.

First a few sources on whether or not officers are targeting racial minority suspects:

Do White Law Enforcement Officers Target Minority Suspects?
    https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/puar.12956

Results from experimental trials testing participant responses to White, Hispanic and Black suspects in high-fidelity deadly force judgment and decision-making simulations
    https://sci-hub.tw/10.1007/s11292-012-91…

Toward a Comprehensive Understanding of Officers’ Shooting Decisions: No Simple Answers to This Complex Problem
    https://sci-hub.tw/10.1080/01973533.2014…

Next, some sources on lending and economic status (relates to claims of modern redlining, racial discrimination in hiring, etc.):

Mortgage Lending in Boston: Interpreting HMDA Data
    https://www.bostonfed.org/publications/r…

Race and Economic Opportunity in the United States
    http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/a…

Hiring bias study: Resumes with black, white, Hispanic names treated the same
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/…

A New Study On Name Discrimination Suggests Names Signaling Race Are Also Linked To Social Status
    https://www.bustle.com/p/a-new-study-on-…

African-Americans over-represented among low-paying college majors
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/a…

Here are some statistics on homicides by race and ethnicity, as well as people killed by cops (all from 2018 for consistency but I can give you data from other years as well):

2018 Crime in the United States: Homicides by Race and Ethnicity
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/201…

People killed by police officers in 2018 (can sort by race, gender, weapon, fleeing from a crime, etc.)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/…

Fatal Encounters (another resource recording fatal encounters with police officers by race, gender, year, etc):
    https://fatalencounters.org/our-visualiz…

From all of the above, I'm torn between all the various sentiments in this thread. On the one hand I know that black people are not experiencing the same outcomes as white people at this point in time: higher rates of poverty, lower rates of education, lower paying jobs, higher rates of single-parent households, etc. I also feel for the people hearing about recent tragedies, having America's unfortunate past in their memories, and lashing out because they feel they're just seeing more of the same. If I was hanging out with a black person that felt that way, I'd buy them a drink and help them feel better.

On the other hand, if I wanted to acknowledge the above inequities we see, and REALLY get to the root of the problem so I could start making some sense of it and ultimately some real progress, I'd take a clear look at the research and push sentimentality and anecdotes out of my mind. That doesn't mean I don't feel for my black brother above; it means I care so much about his plight, I'm going to push my own feelings out of the way and see what's really at the root of it so we can start to rectify the problem.

So what does the data say? Many people are out there in the streets, claiming that black people have to live in constant fear that they'll be shot by a police officer for no reason. That is absolutely not true. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't work to reduce excessive force by law enforcement anyway, and that's something everyone can always agree on. But on the list of top threats to the lives of innocent black people, death by police is nowhere near the top. If we put the same amount of effort that's going to protest against the police instead towards lowering black-on-black crime, vastly more lives would be saved. Others rightly pointed out that it's not a "either-or" but a "both-and" - and that may be true, but still, the current response is completely unbalanced in the wrong direction. If we did instead take a clear look at real problems and work to solve them, the same amount of energy could save far more lives, and would bring with it less destruction of property, less injured/killed protesters and police officers, and less cultural and racial division.

It's also helpful to keep in mind the ways different narratives are politically expedient to different groups of people. The worst thing that could happen for Democrats would be conditions getting better for black people, more broadly. If the broader narrative was that conditions have gotten VASTLY better for blacks by many metrics in recent decades (which they have), then the Democrats wouldn't be able to claim that "if you don't vote for me, you ain't black" (as Biden said). Blacks are a significant component of the Democratic voting base, and they will only be locked in as long as they can be convinced that everyone is against them EXCEPT the Democrats. I don't want to totally take Republicans off the hook either, though - Trump did say at some point something like "you guys are all poor, your schools are crumbling, and you're living in crime - why not vote for me, it can't get any worse".

Also keep in mind that right on BLM's website, they make it clear that they're not just focused on racial equality, but also the whole gambit of far-left views: dismantle the patriarchy, dismantle the nuclear family (which ironically has already happened in black families and is probably largely to blame for high rates of crime and poverty), promote trans ideologies, etc. I don't care what your own particular views on any of those subjects are, but it's important to know that supporting BLM doesn't just mean you support black lives in general; it means you're getting behind an organization with very specific ideological leanings that extend far beyond the scope of racial inequity. Source for the above is their own website:
    https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-bel…

The real answer is to stop playing identity politics and start using politics to figure out what is best for the American people more broadly - not only what's best for this party or that. There's no such thing as "racial justice" and there's no such thing as "social justice". Justice is justice for individuals, and we're only innocent or guilty as individuals. As long as we teach people to see everything exclusively through the lens of skin color, we'll be doing exactly what the worst parts of our history did. MLK is so famous for a reason: because he saw right through this, and sought to take skin color out of the equation, not to continue focusing on it as America's racists had always done in the past.

I'll end with a quote by Booker T. Washington, once a slave and later a free man:
    "There is another class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public... Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs... There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well."
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    @Yahtzee
    So you dated one black girl. She doesn't speak for all of us. And neither do I. Rather there are a variety of experiences. And even though you really want to hold onto the idea that the 21st century is not affected by what came before, that is not the case. I'm not in love with the words "liberal" and "conservative" and a be all and end all to an individual's outlook. Some things I have a more "conservative" viewpoint about and some things I have a more "liberal" viewpoint about. I'm definitely not one to believe I should just sit and wait for my dreams to come to me. I put in sweat equity for my progress. Still I'm not cool with obstacles put in my way that wouldn't be there if there wasn't a pattern created by systematic bias. We will disagree all day long because you don't want to understand what it's like to be me, and that's a fact of life. But what can change and improve is the systemic non-sense in my way. Now I'm not going to stop moving forward. I can chew gum and walk so I will always call folk out on their ignorance and narrow-minded attitudes as well as continue to try to educate folks that there are legitimate reasons for the anger.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    The point is the police don't have the right to engage in extra judicial killings
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Entire shifts of police in sectors of Atlanta are refusing to show up for work. Should make for an interesting experiment. This is what defunding the police will look like.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ not much of a problem - they will be back-filled with social-workers and after they talk to the criminals they will stop committing crimes.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The DA threw the Atlanta cop under the bus, then rolled over him 11 times. Asked for Georgia State Police to investigate. Then, a few minutes later, appeared before cameras and pronounced him guilty of 2nd degree murder. Video is very different from George Floyd. Lots of cops, black and white, saying cop was justified.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Two weeks ago, the DA in Atlanta who's currently charging Officer Garrett Rolfe in the Rayshard Brooks case charged police officers with aggravated assault for using a taser on protesters.

"A taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law"

Now, he has charged Rolfe with murder after Brooks pointed a taser at him.

So, is a taser a deadly weapon, or not ?
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    “So, is a taser THAT HAS ALREADY FIRED BOTH OF ITS CHARGES AND WHOSE USER IS NO LONGER POINTING IT AT YOU a deadly weapon, or not ?”

FYP
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I was listening to the radio late last night trying to fall asleep - anyway in the back of my mind I was wondering why Brooks was fighting the cops so desperately - per what I heard on the radio he may have been on probation and probably thought he'd be going back to jail for a DUI during probation - IDK for sure this is the case but could explain his desperate attempts.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    I'd like to see this great Liberals World where the cops stand down. They'd be the most frighten ones since to them guns are the greatest evil ever concocted my man.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Apparently the same Atlanta D.A. had charged a half-dozen cops a couple of weeks ago for them using a taser on demonstrators and at that stating that under Georgia law a taser is considered a deadly-weapon.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Nice strawman you threw up there. How about a world where cops don’t shoot an unarmed man in the back while he’s running away, and then don’t literally kick him while he’s down on the ground dying? Is that too liberal for you?
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    If I were a cop I’d just let them all go. Run wild, I don’t care. Of course I live way outside the city in a safe little town so I’m not all that worried about the city becoming a mad max movie
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    A taser is not a lethal weapon
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Does being drunk and falling asleep at a drive thru merit a death sentence?
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    @JimmyMcNulty You're talking extreme exceptions, not the norm. Though that is very typical in these kind of conversations. The more irrational you are, the lesser the validity of your argument.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Extreme examples? I’m talking about Rayshard Brooks, the guy who got shot in the back while running away from cops and then kicked while he lay on the ground dying. That was 6 days ago. The whole country is talking about it and Mark brought it up so my extreme example was merely a response to another poster’s point.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    As best I can tell, every well known case of a white cop killing a black man happened after the black man resisted arrest. There are differing accounts on George Floyd, so let’s say it’s 90% of the time.

For those reading this, how many times have you fought the police to avoid arrest ? Have you ever pointed a weapon at a cop ? Why not ?

In the case of Brooks, he fought the cops violently, grabbed a weapon off the cops belt, and had just pointed the weapon at the cop when the cop shot him. It was a taser, but that could have rendered the cop defenseless, allowing Brooks to get the gun.

Was the cop justified ? A jury will decide.

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    In this current climate the rules have been thrown out the window - I can def see the officer being convicted of muder in this current climate as an exercise of "racial justice" even if most legal scholars would indicate o/w based on the merits of the case.

The ATL officer has already been convicted of murder by the SJW mob that now seems to be the defacto power and the ones calling the shots - the officer was immediately fired w/o due-process (w/o waiting for an official investigation to be completed and then proceeding based on the findings) - they seem to also be trying to use his partner against him by going after the officer that did not fire (head-om-a-platter"justice").
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The Minneapolis police guidelines authorize neck restraint in specific situations. These are guidelines used to train officers and determine whether their actions are justified.

Were these guidelines followed in the case of George Floyd ? Only a jury can decide after hearing all arguments. Although the video looked pretty bad, it’s possible that bad training and bad guidelines were the ultimate cause of Floyd’s death, not the individual officer.

There will be tremendous pressure on the jury to find the officer guilty. If they find the officer not guilty, the streets of America will explode. The jurors lives, jobs, and reputations will be at risk. The best thing the jury can do, for their sake, and to save hundreds of lives from the mob, is find the cop guilty, regardless of the evidence.

A similar dilemma exists in Atlanta. There will be tremendous pressure to find the officer guilty even though the evidence is much less compelling.

So, that’s where we are. The mob has decided. They demand a guilty verdict or there will be violence. Isn’t there a term for that ?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The Stepmother of the officer charged in Atlanta has been fired from her job for the crime of being the Stepmother of the officer charged. Group guilt. The mob gets what the mob demands. Justice.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Mark, your posts are dog whistle trolling to the unfair mob justice conspiracy freaks. You make assumptions (improper training) which are likely false and then predict a conclusion (conviction) which is likely to happen, but not for the conspiracy theory (improper mob justice) you theorize. And then when these guys are convicted, you’ll say Aha! Weak.

I have no idea what the MInny police training methods are, but chokeholds are designed (I think) to cut off blood to the brain to subdue an individual. Their use is controversial and I’m guessing that the use of them is restricted to specific situations and that there are lots of safeguards to prevent cops from accidentally killing someone. I am also making an assumption, but a reasonable one, that the manual also clearly limits the duration and requires that the cop not use it longer than necessary, and further that if the suspect appears in respiratory distress, to discontinue the chokehold if the subject is otherwise subdued. Those are my objections to your assumption.

Here’s where the facts differ. First, it wasn’t a chokehold. You used the word “neck restraint” so maybe you meant they were trained to kneel on the neck of a handcuffed, prone, subject. I don’t know. What about the officer taunting Floyd? He kept saying “get up” and “get in the car” while kneeling on his neck, seemingly in control. It’s pretty clear to me that the officer was not threatened and the neck restraint was no longer needed. Second, after Floyd was non responsive and had no pulse, the cop stayed on his neck for another 2 minutes. There is ZERO chance that is in the police handbook. Last, this isn’t a jury issue of evidence. It’s a clear cut issue of whether the procedure used by the cop was within the procedure of the manual. I have no idea, but it’s a pretty safe bet it wasn’t based on the duration and that it went beyond when Floyd was already subdued.

On Brooks in Atlanta, again I didn’t cherry pick an extreme exception. Indeed, Brooks is far less extreme because he actually assaulted the cops, took a weapon and fired it at them. It’s a much more complicated case for sure.

But if the cop that killed him is convicted of a homicide crime, it would make sense to me. The taser had already been fired and was neutered. The cops had already searched Brooks and knew he was unarmed once the taser was expended. If there was any doubt about the taser having a charge, Brooks was running away from the cop. All the cop needed to do to protect himself was stop chasing him or slow down and he would’ve been out of range of the taser once Brooks took two more steps. They shot him in the back. Twice, and I think he fired three times. Also, they’d been talking to the guy for 20 minutes. They had his ID, knew he was piss drunk. Let him run away and wait for him to show up at home. Unless,

the cop was angry that he’d been assaulted and the shots were fired in anger. That makes sense to me and is probably something I’d do. But cops need to be better. They are trained to act rationally in stressful situations, not fire their weapons in anger. It’s their job to protect and serve the people for whom they work, including Floyd and Brooks. Being drunk and resisting arrest, when you are no longer a threat, shouldn’t get you killed.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    My perspective is that only a jury can determine guilt. Your perspective is that guilt is obvious.

My contention is that there are an overwhelming number of people who share your perspective. That frightens me.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Ha. You’ve misinterpreted and oversimplified my position. It’s up to the prosecutor, defense team, judge and jury to determine guilt. We agree. My position is that based on what we’ve seen the Floyd cop is guilty - of something. That is a key point you left out. Maybe he’s not guilty of murder 2. Maybe he’s only guilty of violating police policy. It sure looks like murder to me and based on what the prosecutor has said about the standards for the charge, looks like it’s the right crime.

Brooks? I already said that’s a hard case. I want my police to be better and able to act rationally in a stressful situation. I don’t know police law in GA but the statements by the prosecutor are consistent that the shooting was improper. The defense lawyer disagrees and says Brooks was running away. I think the video contradicts him, but we’ll see if and when they go to court. We agree on that.

My taking a view now as to whether they are guilty is not mob rule. It’s just my opinion, which means jack shit. (My guess is we agree on that too.)
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Btw, according to her former employer:

“Melissa Rolfe’s termination was a direct result of her actions in the workplace and violation of company policy. While working with Melissa as she transitioned to a leave of absence granted by our organization, we discovered she violated company policy and created an uncomfortable working environment for many of our employees. As an HR Director, she ultimately lost the confidence of her peers, leadership and many employees who no longer felt comfortable engaging with her. We value diversity of thought and respect Melissa’s personal views and the views of all employees; however, when those views create a hostile working environment, we must make difficult decisions to part ways.”

But apparently Tucker and the faux news mob have rushed to judgment and concluded she was fired for being the stepmother of the officer charged.

Apparently it goes both ways.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    So, in the most amazing coincidence in modern history, a woman is fired the day after her son is accused of a racist killing. The company proclaims she is being fired for all sorts of really bad, but unspecified, issues that have nothing to do with her son. Honest.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Atlanta police issue arrest warrant for Rayshard Brooks' 'girlfriend', 29, for burning down the Wendy's where he was shot and killed by cops
  • Tiburon
    4 years ago
    100% of police surveillance is self policed. Do you believe everything your told blindly?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    “Do you believe everything your ( sic ) told blindly? “

No, but I believe the surveillance photos of the woman setting the fire.
  • Tiburon
    4 years ago
    Cops lie about their statistics, the IRS lie about their statistics, the FBI and CIA lie about their statistics? Why? Because they have the power to get away with it and have done so since inception of the New World. Dont be a moron and believe everything you see in the tv and internet.

One CIVILIAN dying is bad enough. Things can seem small only because video recording is generally new. Lethal or not, keeping a knee on someone's neck is choking and killed someone so it's clearly lethal and avoidable since he had 8 frigging minutes to get up. That's a long time dudes.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    104 shot, 14 fatally, over Father’s Day weekend in Chicago

"... Five children were among the 14 people killed, including a 3-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl killed in separate shootings ..."

I imagine massive Black Lives Matter demonstrations are to follow? After all it must be those racists Republicans in power in Chicago, and homicidal cops, that are responsible for all those shootings and killings.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ DEFUND THE POLICE!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^^ STRIPPER LIVES MATTER
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Judging by what has gone on in this country the last 2 weeks the police aren't the problem.
  • nickifree
    4 years ago
    Don't bother Papi. I've tried getting people interested and aware this kind of violence for the last 25 years. Basically black people don't care because they know white (liberals) don't care, and they'll react the stuff they know will get attention.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Yes I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down. They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been,” King tweeted. “In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went? EGYPT! Not Demark. Tear them down ..."

Per Shaun King - one of the BLM leaders whom also was a keynote speaker at Bernie Sanders' campaign-launch-event - now beyond tearing down any statue they see (Confederate or not), he's saying to go after religious symbols - and no one seems to be standing up against these fundamentalist radicals; not even most Republican leaders - this may have potentially serious consequences if these radicals are allowed to continue w/o any impunity.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    We have reached a new low:

An American academic has criticised Mary Poppins for projecting racial stereotypes, saying Dame Julie Andrews’s character wears “blackface” during one scene.

Writing for The New York Times, Professor Daniel Pollack-Pelzner – a gender studies professor at Linfield College, Oregon – sharply criticises the scene where Mary Poppins joins Dick Van Dyke’s chimneysweep Bert to dance on a rooftop. The pair both get covered in soot as the dance number “Step in Time” is performed.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion