tuscl

What Happens When We Die?

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Nobody really knows for sure what happens when we die. I haven’t died yet but my lack of personal experience with death is not about to stop me from having a theory about it.

I’m prepared to wager dollars against donuts that death is nothing to be afraid of. First of all, it’s very hard to fuck up being dead. So far as I know, everyone who has ever died nailed it on the first attempt. Moreover, I’m quite certain that being dead won’t hurt in the least.

The process of dying is probably another matter altogether. The process of dying might be uncomfortable or even painful. On the other hand, in the grand scheme of things any discomfort or pain associated with the dying process is temporary, even fleeting.

Besides, a little pain never really hurt anyone.

But what actually happens to you AFTER you die?

I’ve never “died” so far, but on the other hand as I understand it, I was not alive for billions and billions of years before I was born ... AND SOMEHOW I MANAGED TO SURVIVE THAT!

So I figure when I die, I will return to the state in which I existed for all those billions of years before I was born.

So it’s really no big deal.

22 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    You're born.
    You live.
    You die.
    Worms eat you.

Be thankful it happens in that order.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I spent eight years taking care of my wife who had FTD. (Now that it’s been on 60 Minutes, people know it’s not a flower delivery service). Since one of our country’s great teaching hospitals had 8 years of PET scans, CAT scans, spinal taps, etc.; at her request about 50 sections of her brain were sent to researchers all over the world. Someone got her eyes, another her liver, and various and sundry other parts.
    So, despite your admonition that it’s no big deal, it was an immediate help to a few, and hopefully a big part in eventually helping many.
    Realizing that at least half of the readers here have compromised their livers, and some are heartless, we all should sign up for organ donation. Then it’ll be a real big deal to someone.
  • loper
    5 years ago
    You ever seen family movies from before you were born? It's kind of thought provoking to see your parents, maybe siblings, and the house you grew up in and realize that you didn't exist yet.
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    Good points made by each of the above posters. I largely agree with what's been said.

There is some evidence regarding what happens when we pass, but nothing that fully confirms or answers all questions.

Since it is inevitable, and unavoidable, I have stopped worrying about it.

I had a roommate who was obsessed with death, and after having numerous conversations about the inevitable with him - I realized lamenting over it was fruitless.

Gawker makes a very important point - regarding organ donation. That is an important consideration for us all. To be able to help others after passing is a true gift that will serve the greater good.
  • AnonymousJim
    5 years ago
    I don't really give it much thought. I honestly think you're just done. It's like going to sleep, only you never wake up again.

It's part of the reason I'm OK with clubbing. We're here, we're gone. We should do what we enjoy while we're here.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    How can you die if you’ve never even existed? The title of two of your most recent threads; we don’t really exist and what happens when we die? Seems to me like you shouldn’t worry about it if you don’t exist.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    The existence post only posits that we don’t exist in a fundamental sense but that our existence is emergent - analogous to shadows.

Shadows exist ... and then they don’t.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    My kids get my money instead of the strippers.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ my thoughts exactly;)
  • Musterd21
    5 years ago
    You either go to Heaven or Hell.

How that is determined depends on what you believe.

I don’t believe in reincarnation but if I did I would want to come back as a beagle. lol
  • BrotherFogHorn
    5 years ago
    Good discussion reverend. This is a very deep subject that can spark lots of debate.

@Musterd21 How would you define Heaven and Hell?

@gawker Right on brethren. Donating organs is the way to go. Give someone else a better life with what you no longer need. You are a rightous dude mane!

@AnonymousJim I do believe that that to be correct. I believe death is a long sleep you can not wake up from.

Here at the church of tuscl we do not teach of a Fiery Hell. Ecclesiastes 9:5 King James Version (KJV)
    5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

King James Version (KJV)
    Public Domain

If you do not know anything after you die, how would you know you are being burned in a fiery hell?
  • SirLapdancealot
    5 years ago
    And if the ethereal strip club is a 9up factory and extras and FS are on the menu, you know you are in heaven. OTOH if all the strippers look like Mongo1loyd Schoene and FS is free but mandatory, you know you're in hell.
  • loper
    5 years ago
    Reminds me of the old joke: "Reverend, because you've basically been a good person, and have thought about the meaning of life and death and the universe, you are hereby granted eternal life in heaven, with lovely ladies Tiffany and Lexi to serve you and grant you every sexual favor night and day." "And Tiffany and Lexi, because you have cheated people and have thought nothing about the meaning of life and death and the universe, I hereby sentence you to hell, where you will serve Reverend's every need night and day."
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    ^^^ Lol ...

A variable number of people get together and remember you.

Your kids for rest of their lives, grandchildren too most likely.

Meanwhile, you rot. Fast the natural way, slow if they do the formaldehyde thing, within minutes if by fire.
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    Lol for Sirlap comment ^^^^
  • londonguy
    5 years ago
    Life is a magical mystery tour, but we all know where the journey ends.
  • CC99
    5 years ago
    I just want reincarnation to be real. The idea of living multiple lives sounds awesome to me. Maybe if there's a paradise world though I could control the circumstances of my next life a little better (wink wink).
  • Musterd21
    5 years ago
    ^Brother

Revelation 20
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    On the positive side - SJG isn't in Iowa...
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    ^^^ until he is reincarnated!
  • SirLapdancealot
    5 years ago
    ^ Satan!
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    Cedar Rapids Guy!

CRG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?