tuscl

Dickey's BBQ

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Saturday, June 16, 2018 1:08 PM
Yes or No. I love BBQ especially baby back ribs. Seems almost every restaurant has them on the menu. I even cook them at home on the grill but it is a lot of work and I'm wondering what restaurants the rest of you like to get your BBQ on. I have not tried Dickey's yet but they are only 5 minutes from my house.

60 comments

• orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I'm not familiar with the restaurant. I went to Twin Peaks for the first time a few weeks ago. Food was good. Girls looked good.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I like hamburgers and fries.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    or potatoes but did not see them on the menu.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    Ive only been once. Didn't like it and haven't been back since.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Hardly any BBQ places in banana-republic Miami. I def like good BBQ - when I lived in Dallas they had a good # of them, my fave was a place called "Red Hot and Blue", sometimes I would go to a soul-food place in the hood called "Sweet Gorgia Brown" which was also pretty-good - tried Dickies a couple of times in Dallas and was not too impressed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Use [view link] to see if there are any well-reviewed BBQ places near you
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Dickey's in Orlando is maybe the worst BBQ I've ever had.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    It’s a chain restaurant and it’s ok but just ok, in my opinion. It’s not a destination spot. Best BBQ I’ve ever had was OMC in Duluth. Great craft beer too.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    Have to agree w/ Papi, shadow... not really impressed with Dickie's, it's fine for a convenient middling-chain bbq restaurant, but usually would pass it up for better offerings
  • ime
    6 years ago
    DIckie's is ok it isn't anything special. Shadow you need to go here it is in Atlanta and it is awesome [view link] Next time I go to Follies i will go there with you after.
  • DOLLAR_BILL
    6 years ago
    Not sure if there are any in your area but Mission BBQ is a smaller chain that’s much better than Dickey’s. Before finding Mission I use to go to Dickey’s a lot - not any more.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    We should have a Follies meetup where we hit a BBQ place b/f or after Follies
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    Dickey’s is pretty crappy. I haven’t found any chain, fast order BBQ places that are really worth it. There is a chain restaurant in So Cal called Lucille's that is pretty decent. The best BBQ is from non chain places, or home.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @shadow Not sure how it works but Uber will pick up and deliver food to you (in case you're currently house-bound) - of course there's a charge associated with it but it may be worth it under certain conditions
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Someone mention Mission BBQ. They are quite good for a chain, plus they donate to military charities.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    City Barbecue is pretty good for a small chain less than 30 of them I think.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Dickie's is a value type chain. You're not going to get the best food there. Shadow, there is a Houston's Restaurant in Atlanta. They have ribs on the menu that are fabulous. Also, do you have J.Alexanders in Atlanta. They prepare their ribs very similar to Houston's.
  • doctorevil
    6 years ago
    Community BBQ in Decatur (not too far from Follies) is excellent. I haven't had the ribs there, but the BBQ beef brisket is delicious. It's a small, one-off type of place, not part of a chain. The mac and cheese side is also great. It might be worth a small detour next time you're making a trip to Follies.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    The only BBQ worse than Dickey's (or Dickies, not sure of the spelling) is the McRib.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Papi - Any Follies meet up including dinning should be after out visit to Follies and probably best to go across the street to Fiesta Plaza for Mexican food. Don't know of any other good restaurants close by. Don't need Uber. I have my kids. I've got 3 BBQ joints within 5 minutes of my house and they all sound the same. I think I will hold out until I can go to Smokey Bones 10 miles away.
  • April9424
    6 years ago
    I used to think places like Dickey’s and Lucille’s were okay. Then I moved to Texas.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    The only BBQ joints around here are Lucille’s, I never thought they were very good, all they do is cover up the food flavors with a goopy vinegary sweet crap sauce. I get baby back ribs at Costco I think the brand name is Curly’s, cook em up on my gas grill. They taste better than anything in Lucille’s.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    zoey101 - Dickey's headquarters is in Dallas TX.
  • grand1511
    6 years ago
    I don't put anything in my mouth called Dickey's.
  • April9424
    6 years ago
    ^yeah they have them here but there’s just so many other options idk why people still go to the chain places. However I also don’t get why people wait in line all day to eat at Franklins.. it can’t possibly be worth waiting outside for 8 hours
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Lot's of good bbq places in NC. Though I actually prefer to make my own ribs. You can play around with different dry rubs, cook them for 3-3.5 hours, then finish them one the grill with a little sauce. Delicious and falling off the bone. Hardest part is finding decent rack of ribs.
  • motownkid
    6 years ago
    South Florida crew.... - Flanigan's and Houston's best places for ribs - both chain restauraunts but very consistent. Flanigans has great prices as well. Houston's off the chain but will set you back a penny or two once you factor in the complete meal.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^I used to like Flanagan’s and go there regularly, haven’t been there in a long time, no particular reason it just kinda fell by the wayside, maybe we’ll go there again soon now that you reminded me, I have been to Houston’s a few times but there are much better options for that kind of cost.
  • abqspencer
    6 years ago
    Complete junk bbq
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Dicker bbq tastes like duck. You would love it for sure
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Dicker bbq tastes like dick. You would love it for sure
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I just thought of a good bbq place only 3 or 4 miles from my house. I forgot all about it until my sister visited and was talking about it.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Where you are located, you should be able to find something better. The best chain BBQ that I have had is Mission BBQ [view link]
  • VeryBigDawg
    6 years ago
    Dickey's sucks! Give Fox Brothers a try in downtown Atl. Pain in the ass to get there, but worth it. Best BBQ in Atl.
  • likes2look
    6 years ago
    It has been my experience that the best bbq comes out of a building that looks like it should be condemned. If the guy working the grill is older than dirt even better.
  • Man4308
    6 years ago
    No to all of the above, quit looking for the best restaurant, make it at home. Yes, it can be work. Here’s the secret, you want to do it right, at home, and easily, then you need a controller for your smoker to control the smoking temperature. There are ‘maker’ projects, such as Heater Meter, and off the shelf options. Once you have that smoking meat at home isn’t too difficult/ laborious.
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    VBD beat me to it...Fox Brothers in Atlanta hands down has the best BBQ of all types...especially ribs.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Dickey's. Does that imply that all of their entrees are bone-in?
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    There was a Dickey’s here in Louisville for a while. Don’t know if it’s still there or not. Ok food, but not as good as the price they wanted for it. Mission BBQ just opened a place here last year. Might have to give it a shot, but with the plethora of good and excellent one man BBQ operations around here, it might take a while to get around to it.
  • BJ4015
    6 years ago
    There’s a place over towards Fulton Ind clubs in Atlanta called B’s Cracklin BBQ which is awesome. Also in Atl there is Fox Bros, Heirloom and DAS BBQ. All four of these places are great
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    It sounds gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • eastsidecap
    6 years ago
    If any of you guys are in St. Louis area at the east side clubs go to Bogarts in soulard in stl. The ribs are amazing. Dry rub and do not need any sauce!
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    outback ribs are pretty good.
  • 4got2wipe
    6 years ago
    bubba267 and VeryBigDawg, is Fox Brothers a regional chain or truly local? I've never heard of it despite traveling in Georgia and Florida a reasonable amount. I like to support local restaurants and other businesses whenever possible. So a positive recommendation of a truly local place = brilliant!
  • VeryBigDawg
    6 years ago
    Fox Brothers is local place! A must if you are coming to Atlanta. They just opened a new Fox Brothers at the Battery at the new Braves stadium, which is in a suburb of Atlanta called Marietta. I'm hungry now.
  • WillMunny
    6 years ago
    I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Fat Matt's Rib Shack, an Atlanta institution that may be to barbecue what Follies is to strip clubbing (although I can't confirm if there's a bigger crowd and a more limited menu at night). It's also within about half a mile of the Tattletale Lounge, if you need someplace to go after getting your fingers sticky. Fox Bros is a solid choice, and I agree with those suggesting you skip Dickey's - it's not awful for a chain, but too many other better options out there. Also worthy: Pig N Chik, which is near Emory, and Williamson Bros in Marietta.
  • 4got2wipe
    6 years ago
    Thanks WillMunny, VeryBigDawg! Next time I'm in Atlanta I may do an "every meal is BBQ" trip! ;)
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    Is that Dickey do bbq for guys Where your belly hangs out further than your Dickey do?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ No that’s a Dickey Doo.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’m in NJ - and I don’t know of any local spots with good ribs. I do know of several good local Italian restaurants -
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Ribs are difficult to prepare and serve in a restaurant. If they fall off the bone, they are over cooked. You want to have a slight tug then be able to see your teeth marks in the meat. I have judged bbq professionally for years. Most of the good places I know are on the north side of Atlanta, that said I rarely eat at the restaurants because after you have eaten competition bbq, all restaurants taste like amateurs. It's not the restaurants fault, they cannot prepare it the same way the pro does
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Ribs are difficult to prepare and serve in a restaurant. If they fall off the bone, they are over cooked. You want to have a slight tug then be able to see your teeth marks in the meat. I have judged bbq professionally for years. Most of the good places I know are on the north side of Atlanta, that said I rarely eat at the restaurants because after you have eaten competition bbq, all restaurants taste like amateurs. It's not the restaurants fault, they cannot prepare it the same way the pro does
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Dadillac for comment of the day. So good he had to post it twice
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Lol.... I am on my phone lol
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    Will, good point on Fat Matt’s. I used to go more than I do now.
  • VeryBigDawg
    6 years ago
    Fat Matt’s used to be good, but was mentioned in movie couple of years ago. Now they are living on the legend, and not delivering the sauce.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    sauce is only available for shitty bbq.... that is what you use to cover up chefs mistakes
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    So we're still talking BBQ. Well I like sauce but not to the point that it is soaked in it. When I do ribs on the BBQ at home I preboil them for about 1 hour and then cook them over real charcoal basting with sauce as needed. My daughter did not like Fox Brothers and thought that they were over priced. She says that Southern Pit BBQ in Griffin GA is the best.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    When I smoke at home I use a dry rub and then I do use a finishing sauce to caramelize and deliver a sweet heat. I use a big green egg, smoke at 225 degrees and use 321 method. 3 hours on smoke, wrap in foil with some apple cider vinegar back on for 2 hours, then unwrap out on finishing sauce and smoke last hour..... you are looking for internal temperature between 190 and 195, if it gets to 205 it will fall off the bone
  • WillMunny
    6 years ago
    @VBD : "Now they are living on the legend, and not delivering the sauce." So you're saying Fat Matt's really is the Follies of BBQ?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion