tuscl

Best/Nicest Roads to travel

Jackmd
Up and In
This discussion is slightly off-topic for this site, but a lot of strip clubs are often in remote backwater areas that require a drive on our roads. My question is what in your opinion are the nicest roads you have traveled on?

My selections:

1) Route 2 between Seattle and Spokane WA
2) Virginia 17
3 Blue Ridge Parkway

21 comments

• shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I-77 through WV is very scenic.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    PCH throughout California. Breathtaking views in some places.

Some of the roads going to/from Yosemite.

Hard to beat the blue ridge parkway.

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    North Oregon coast - US 101
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I forget the number the number but the one that goes around western half of Lake Tahoe. Also the drive around Mount Sashta in Northern Cali was on of my personal favorites.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    US Route 212 near Red Lodge, Montana
    aka The Beartooth Highway
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper in Alberta.

Logan Pass through Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana.

Dempster Highway (Yukon/NWT). This is not super-scenic but it is the most northerly driveable road in Canada. Magnificent isolation and lots of wildlife. I saw caribou here. Carry survival supplies and extra gas if you choose to take this road.

Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.

Cinque Terre Trail, not a road but a delightful walking trail on Italy's Ligurian coast.

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    Idaho, believe it or not, was another good drive from Coure D'Alene down to Boise. So many different types of landscapes: mountains, farmland, river valleys.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Ensenada to La Paz Mexico before they built the road.
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    This one chic's Hershey's highway. She had a sweet ass!
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    1. Main park roads in Yellowstone NP.
    2. Going-to-the-sun Rd Glacier NP.

Lots of good suggestion can be found in the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Most-Scenic-Dr…
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    @mjx01,

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten the name, Going-To-The-Sun Road. I called it the Logan Pass in my earlier comment. It is many decades since I have driven that road.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Logan pass Utah ain't bad either. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=log…
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    @farmerart: going-to-the-sun rd goes through Logan pass when you cross the continental divide. Sort of the same thing.

For what little I remember (~20 yrs ago, damn) Cabot Trail was also nice.
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    Another vote for the PCH, and the Blue Ridge.

Dougster: the road around the west shore of Tahoe is California Rt. 89, and yes it is mighty fine (I circled the lake down US50 on the East and up CA89 on the West); and what a coincidence to read your post about the road down from Coeur d'Alene, I once found myself on it entirely by happenstance and was quite pleased.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Another vote for the Blue Ridge. Also for I-77 through WV as well as the stretch of Rt 19 from its juncture with I-79 down through Summersville WV. I'm also partial to I-75 in Michigan from Saginaw up to the bridge to the Upper Peninsula.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    In California, State Route 1 in two locations: Between San Luis Obispo (near Hearst Castle) and Monterey, and then way north of San Francisco through the redwood groves. Also U.S. 101 through the redwoods is very scenic.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Any road that puts North Dakota in the rearview mirror.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    US1. My two favorite clubs are located on it.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    What kind of car do you have? That makes all the difference. I've driven the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's fun in a sports car with the turns but if you speed you get nailed. The desolate desert roads in WY are amazing too and you can go as fast as you want, but I'd rather be in a luxo boat than a Lotus out there as it's all straight line driving. I think overall, I'd LOVE to try the Nurburgring ring in Germany with the highest HP exotic I could muster up.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Sounds good, rockstar, if you don't mind doing the first two turns before you're off the course!
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    ATAdawg: I always chant the amateur racer's mantra: slow in, fast out. It's saved my ass many times! I'm confident I have the skill level to at least stay on the course even though I wouldn't be fast like Sabine Schmitz is. Over 200 people have been killed in crashes there though, so your advice to take care is well taken!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion