Dancer profiles are now available! Free VIP for dancers, apply now. More info

Advertisement
Front Room

Tipping Culture (outside the club)

motorhead
motorhead1106928

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

1 yr ago · 1 min read

I’ve always been a generous tipper. I suppose it might stem from all the time I’ve spent in strip clubs. Tipping is everywhere: on stage, on parade, bartenders, servers, doormen, the person changing singles.

So I’ve never railed much against the current tipping culture. I’ll usually add a tip when prompted even at the better sandwich shops (Potbelly’s, DiBellas’s or whatever you have in your state).

But recently my local liquor store put out a tip jar. For what? That’s where i draw the line. And I’m hearing more and more rebelling - if I ain’t sittin’ I ain’t tipping

Replies (35)Latest

Profile picture for twentyfive
twentyfive
•

You’re leaving out the most egregiously abusive factor about the increase of tipping requests, tipping is added revenue for the credit and debit card providers, and very often the businesses are helping themselves to a portion even all of the revenue from this money grabbing scheme.

Profile picture for Hank Moody
Hank Moody
•

I think I posted this before, but I had the same reaction at a local liquor store I don’t usually patronize. I was looking for some cold seltzers. I go in, browse the refrigerators, don’t see what I’m looking for and circle back. I decide on a reasonable substitute, grab a 12 pack and take it to the register and the cashier rings it up on an iPad credit card reader. Cashier is a middle aged woman who I take to be an owner or manager. She turns the iPad around and asks if I want to add a tip. This is my first interaction with a store employee and they want a tip for what? Me paying for the product I found myself? NFW

I consider myself otherwise to be a pretty generous tipper but there was literally zero service provided.

Profile picture for Dolfan
Dolfan
•

One thing I'll say as a positive of all the dumbass requests for tips is that I've started paying more attention to how much I tip & why. I used to tip basically the same amount unless the service was really shitty or really great and even then it's wasn't really all that different. Nowadays, my tip is much more commensurate with the level of service.

Seeing kiosk order & counter serve joints setting default tips at 25% was what pushed me over the edge to start thinking about it.

Profile picture for Rod84
Rod84
•

re: Not tipping at cash registers:

There's a gray area where I sometimes do - the coffee shop server. They swing that little machine around with it teed up for a tip. For some reason, the machine's harder to resist than skipping the tip jar.

I guess the the people behind the counter do provide a service, beyond just ringing up my purchase like at a convenience mart, but it still feels like overreach. As the machines become more prevalent, I'm now leaning toward stiffing the coffee dude.

Profile picture for skibum609
skibum609
•

I will tip Waitstaff; Housekeeping at the Hotel; bartenders; baggage handler and Valets. If I am at a restaurant and see a table with a water view that I want I will tip/buy the table.

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

@twentyfive do you mean added revenue because of the 3% or so credit card fees they charge to businesses on all the credit card transactions?

Profile picture for twentyfive
twentyfive
•

^yes

Profile picture for misterorange
misterorange
•

@motorhead - Thanks for bringing this up. I'm curious about the following two places where I tip, and whether the amount is consistent with what others give:

  1. Barber. There's like 8-10 barbers at this place and I just go to whichever one is available first. They're all nice guys but I don't have any real barber/customer relationship with any of them. My haircut is just a buzz cut, takes about 10 minutes, and they really can't screw it up. They charge $25 and I give an even $30. Is 5 bucks enough? I usually go once every two weeks.

  2. Car wash - the guys who dry off your car. I used to go rarely, not even once a month, and I'd tip like $5 on a $16 wash. Happy to tip because those guys work hard, sometimes in the sweltering heat or freezing cold. Got a new car and signed up for a monthly deal, so now I go about three times a week. No way I'm paying $15 a week in tips, especially since this is a super-express place with cars rolling out at about 3 a minute. The wash is okay, but they don't do a very good job drying it off due to the rapid pace of cars going through. Still, I feel like it's a hard job and they do the best they can. I've been giving $2 each wash. Kind of seems cheap, but hell, that's $24 a month which is about what I pay for the monthly pass. I think a lot of people don't give anything.

As for a liquor store, hell no.

Profile picture for twentyfive
twentyfive
•

^ I generally tip similar amounts, the barbers have raised their prices a lot recently, and I know that they usually 60/40 their chair with the 60 going to the barber they’re making more money than ever.

Profile picture for TheOne&Only
TheOne&Only
•

It's gotten out of hand. I recently had a new water heater installed, and there was a tip request on the tablet when I signed for the credit card.

I'd rather see minimum wage increased so servers don't depend on tips, and an overall decrease in the prevalence of tip culture.

Profile picture for shailynn
shailynn
•

This happened to me the other day. I was at a restaurant that was very up front about a service charge of 18%. When it came time to pay the waitress (who was excellent) she reminded me that the service charge was not her tip. On a roughly $250 bill (upscale place) I’m already paying $45 in a service charge. I added $20 making my “tip” and “service charge” up to a little over 25%.

I get it, but her hovering over me while I was entering my choice on the mobile credit card machine rubbed me the wrong way. I tried to explain to my wife “I’m not tipping another 20% on top of the 18% I’m already required to do so, but she didn’t totally understand the concept, which I bet a lot people don’t. It’s a risky bet on the restaurant, some people will tip full amount, most probably won’t tip anything additional. The restaurant doesn’t care, because the only one hurt is the server who essentially has to split their tip (the 18%) with the rest of the staff.

The restaurant prices seemed great compared to competing nearby restaurants and now I understand why, they’re essentially 18% less “on paper.”

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

^I have heard thats a common scam. She might have gotten paid from both your tip and the service charge. Maybe some restaurants are keeping the service charge or splitting it among staff. Idk, several people in both NY and DC have told me the service charge is actually the same as a tip, to only tip more if you want to tip above the 18%

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

I have tipped 10% to barbers… i dont think its as necessary as tipping servers because they arent reliant on tips like servers are… the other thing is the barber i go to is the owner of the shop itself so i know she gets to keep everything plus gets a cut of all the barbers working for her

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

I dont mind the tip requests on tablets at starbucks or other places… its something the business itself added as an option, not the cashier or low level worker expecting a tip

A dancer at one point insisted tipping is customary for all dances

Profile picture for misterorange
misterorange
•

@shailynn - I don't understand what she meant by "the service charge was not her tip". If 18% added to your bill isn't a fucking tip, then what is it? She expects people to believe the restaurant is just soaking its customers with an extra 18% for the privilege of dining at their fine establishment? That sounds something like a dancer giving three dances and saying it was five.

Profile picture for twentyfive
twentyfive
•

My own habits is to tip 20% but I don’t tip if there is a service charge, @shailynn you should have asked for the manager, and asked if the service charge was in lieu of a tip, I wouldn’t have given her anything additional she was scamming you.

Profile picture for RonJax2
RonJax2
•

@shailynn Man, I would that grind my gears. I tend towards being a generous tipper. And, tipping should be a pleasure, an expression of gratitude and not an obligation. Like, hey, I'm tossing you these bones because I'm truly grateful, not because you asked or I was forced to pay a service fee.

Me, I probably just would not patronize that restaurant again.

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

Someone i know got hustled by that exact move… service charge of 18% or maybe even more and the server told them they get none of it so they gave the server another 20% cash tip

Profile picture for Lex Luthor
Lex Luthor
•

@ gammanu95 A plumbing company asking for a tip for installing a new water heater?? Ridiculous. I'm sure they charged plenty for the install.

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

@puddy you mean foreign Africans?

Profile picture for Hank Moody
Hank Moody
•

@shai - Echoing others, if I thought about it fast enough I’d ask for a manager to find out what the deal was. Either she was lying or the restaurant was keeping the 18% service charge. Neither of those situations is acceptable.

@dickdecker - so your response to your anger against the CEO is to take it out on the underpaid worker?

Profile picture for rickthehick
rickthehick
•

The solution isnt raising the minimum wage- these servers take up these $2 an hour serving jobs because theyre netting $20, even $25 an hour.
Who knows what the ones at really high end restaurants can net… ive heard some servers are in the 6 figures

They could pay them all $20 an hour, and raise prices at the restaurant to cover it

But in that scenario the workers wont have as much motivation to provide good service.

The other problem is, will tipping culture stop just because server wages are increased. I dont think tipping culture will go away. Then the customer is paying higher restaurant prices and still expected to tip on top

Profile picture for goldmongerATL
goldmongerATL
•

I go to a chain haircut place. When the kiosk asks me to pay, it gives 4 buttons for suggested dollar amounts. They work out to 25%, 36%, 53% and 71%!! The button to enter an amount is labelled "MORE"

It annoys the shit out of me. I usually tip around 15-18%.

Profile picture for misterorange
misterorange
•

With "no tax on tips" I tip even more than I used to cause it feels like I'm stickin' it to the government!

Profile picture for elmer
elmer
•

2 days ago Southwest Michigan gas station, filled up paid at the pump I decided to go in grabbed a Coke and Snickers bar. Gave the clerk $5 bill instead of handling me change and without even asking she just dropped it in jar marked tips sitting on the counter.

I didn't think much of it at the moment as I gathered up my purchase. As I got back into traffic it occurred to me she just gave herself a tip with my money. Yes it was only 40 or 50 cents but that's hardly the point I had just been scammed

Profile picture for misterorange
misterorange
•

^ I don't thinks that's a scam, more like strait up theft.

Profile picture for minnow
minnow
•

I agree that recent (post-Covid) uptick in tip requests has gotten out of hand. I generally agree with many online pundits (Dave Ramsey, etal) who often draw the line at tip if they bring food to your table, don't tip if you have to pick up food at the counter. Where the tip request is most prevalent is at the sub sandwich shops (Subway, Jersey Mike's, Dibella's, etc.) In those cases, I'll make exceptions, particularly the ones I go into regularly. If they are prompt, well prepared and stocked (some even have the bread laid out when they see me walk in), I'll tip. But if I have to wait too long because they have to go back to get an item, get bread out of the oven, etc., I don't tip. My time is worth more than potential tip anyway. Wrt other scenarios:

  1. Barbers- I often just tell them to keep the change (haircut is $17 or $18, I just hand them a 20).
  2. I recently had a new water heater installed, no tip requested for that. I've never had AC guy or plumber ask for tip either.

Good, interesting thread here.

Profile picture for JamesSD
JamesSD
•

Counter service only: no tip

I also get annoyed by the idea that the bottom suggested tip is 20 percent. 20+ is exceptional service. 15 is satisfactory, 18 is somewhere in the middle.

I'll admit I'm not big on tipping strippers beyond $1-2 per stage show and I only tip a dollar a drink (it's soda bar, two drinks included in admission).

Profile picture for misterorange
misterorange
•

Can you believe my proctologist has a fucking tip jar right next to the exam table? Yeah well he's not getting anything from me unless he uses the whole fist.

Profile picture for stripperlover777
stripperlover777
•

🔺 $Playing pool with a stripper would

be fun & easy tip money ! If she wins, she gets more money!

Profile picture for mickey48066
mickey48066
•

Club fan. For carry out, 3 to 5%. If the total is $29.67, I might give 1.33 so I have an even $31 transaction.15 to 20 is for people running back and forth on my behalf. Sometimes I'll toss lose change in a tip jar, minus quarters.

Profile picture for WiseToo
WiseToo
•

@ClubFan81077

A local restaurant adds a "service charge" on to-go orders. That way the waitress gets a tip whether you eat-in or take-out. The restaurant can go fuck themselves. It's just a way to charge more for their food. The waitress does nothing other than bring the food which is already wrapped to-go from the kitchen to the register.

Profile picture for stripperlover777
stripperlover777
•

' 🟠 ' ' ' ' ' ' Hooters, Dave & Buster's ' & Other Sports Bars For Good $$$ Dollar Tips. Bikini Bars, & Pool Halls! Like The Pizza & Bartender @ Mi Pool Hall. ' 🔺 💓 ' ' ' ' ' ' Hot Girls Cheers '

Profile picture for TheOne&Only
TheOne&Only
•

As for tipping where it is standard, I'm a 10/15/20 guy. I'm usually tipping 20 plus rounding up to make an even bill. I used to go below 10 on only the very rare occasion that I felt personally insulted and management refused to fix it. I knew that by going less, I was stiffing the kitchen and busboys as well as the server, and costing them money as they were taxed for income they didn't earn from me. Now that taxes aren't tipped, I'd like to see the whole thing go away. Most countries don't have tipping industries, and it can even be seen as an insult.

Profile picture for the mighty quinn
the mighty quinn
•

My only problem with the current state of tipping has been going to restaurants where I pay after I order and there’s an option to tip. Sometimes the experience with the person taking my order has been good and maybe a tip is justified. But if I am the one putting my order into the iPad, tapping my card for payment, and doing all the work, while the employee can barely speak a few words… my generosity is pretty much gone.

Join the conversation

Sign in to reply to this discussion.

Advertisement