tuscl

Slightly OT: Dancer transition to other work

yndy
Maryland
Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:43 PM
One dancer I know (semi, semi, semi fave) finished up an associates in business a few years ago. I recently asked about her job hunt. She hasn't done much yet and laments paying back the student loan. We talk a bit about job hunting etc. Asked how much she expected to make. "At least 50 thousand." "Would rather have 100." Perhaps noticing my expression about her answer, she ran off to hustle dances. The only thing I could thing of possibly that lucrative, would be pharmaceutical sales. But my research shows they much prefer a bachelors. And I'm not certain she could grasp whatever "science" she'd need to know. Any ideas?

24 comments

• sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    What in hell is a "semi, semi, semi fave"? Is she a fave or not?
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    She should find and marry a successful man (Oh, that's misogynistic) Maybe another more street centered form of pharmaceutical sales could get her the kind of income she seeks.
  • yndy
    10 years ago
    @sclvr5005- Guess she's my 4th string fave.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    There's nothing off-topic at all about your thread. That's discussed a lot. I have three former faves that are in that state (of confusion) right now. I don't think any of the three did much to prepare for their lives after dancing. They're just burned out from dancing. I wonder how long it'll be before at least one or two of them return to the stage and pole.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    "she ran off to hustle dances. " Prepping the Biz Plan sure is not fun compared to hustling for dances. It really just dumbs the mind. A dancer can only do it so much before the neurons lock into place. By that time, the brain is set in stone, you can change yourself once these neural networks lock in place. She will just dance and hustle for dances forever. Sigh.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    Typo: you can change yourself once these neural networks lock in place. Correction: you cannot change yourself once these neural networks lock in place.
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    If they are in their 20s it will be until they are 40 before finding transition work away from dancing. Strippers don't like to answer to a boss an they like to work their own schedule, and as we know a regular job requires daily attendance and attending to your boss.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Dancers can make a lot of money with little education. They find it hard to leave stripping where they make 75K to 100K to take a job where they make 25K to 30K.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    Very true, jack. A key reason why so many quit dancing only to return not too much later when they start missing the easy money.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    Don't forget, stripping is one of the few jobs out there where you can get drunk (or high) on the job. That may appeal to some strippers.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… finished up an associates in business …” Even a Bachelor’s in Business does not get one much (many people with Bachelor’s in Business end up working at Enterprise Rent-a-Car or as sells people) – an Associate’s in Business won’t do much beyond maybe $30k a year – IMO.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I agree with you PC but bet an Associates in business is more like 20-25k
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    ^ I was trying to be optimistic and hoping for the best for the gal :)
  • LMN
    10 years ago
    An associates degree doesn't mean shit. An associates degree means you couldn't even finish a real 4 year college degree.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    The railroad crossing near my office has been closed for nearly a month. I walked over and talked to the guys at lunch today. The entry level laborers are the lowest paid workers for the rusk tufa and they are making $80k per year. Maybe your sweetie can try that.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    rusk tufa Smartphone ? Railroad
  • DoctorPhil
    10 years ago
    @DandyDan “Don't forget, stripping is one of the few jobs out there where you can get drunk (or high) on the job.” well it isn’t THAT rare. there are also airline pilots and railroad engineers and (canadian) surgeons and of course congressmen who can get drunk (or high) on the job.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    I refuse to get involved with a dancer's career choices. I've opened career and educational opportunities for many a dancer. Not one of them could leave the easy money and glamour of club life. What a waste of time, energy and contacts.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    @DandyDan -- and remember that LMN dude is high all the fucking time. And he makes millions a day! Frickin' millions! Well, he makes millions of curly fries for his job at Arby's. But still, the dude is high all the time and he usually doesn't burn himself with hot oil. That says something!
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    @SuperDude-dude...why have you "opened career and educational opportunities for many a dancer"? I'm not being cynical or putting strippers down here, but that implies a level of life involvement that seems excessive. Indeed, I think it is looking down on strippers more to make offers out of the blue to "help" them. Imagine saying the same thing about baristas at coffe houses. Neither stripper nor barista is something you're going to do as a lifetime career. Maybe I'd offer help or advice if I got to know a particular woman well. But in both cases they are doing a job. Maybe there the rare case where you connect. In those rare cases may becomes appropriate to offer help. But I just can't see it happening many times. Just sounds a bit white knight-y... Mind you, I don't wish anything negative for a stripper (or barista or whatever...). I'm just saying I like boundaries. You're a customer and she's doing a job. Even if you're doing some sort of ITC or OTC activities it is still a business transaction. That said, there is a new barista at the place I regularly get my Latte with INCREDIBLE tits. These were the kind of tit-TAYZ that make want to motorboat and then go at the tit-fuckin'. And she was wearing a top that revealed a lot of cleavage. WEEE-YAWWW!!!
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Bottom line, in today's society the "Degree" is the Holy Grail to youngsters. It is not till they leave the academia and world of youth and join the real world that REALITY hits them square in the face! Likely you all read farmerart's comments about the oil business, and it is much the same in the trades. The only degrees that mean anything are professional types, including business, but an associates, really? Last I heard a college "education" these days is about the equivalent of a HS diploma in the 50's. In any case, a degree is just a piece of paper. It may open a door, but unless you can do the job, see ya! A smart employer would hire someone based on what they "feel" they are capable of doing, and not just look at their "papers".
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Excellent observations, as usual, from SuperDude.
  • cyclops65
    10 years ago
    Speaking as someone that HAS an AS in marketing---Pharma sales pays good but is like a catch 22---you need experience to get the job and the job to get experience so you end up starting out in something crappy like office supplies or food brokering--although I imagine a hot chick would have better luck---if she really wants the big bucks, insurance sales is prolly the best bet but weird hours
  • hotwheels
    10 years ago
    Gawker a misogynist is someone who hates, dislikes, or distrusts women. Your comment suggesting that strippers should marry a rich guy shows that you understand women.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion