tuscl

Hockey finals vs basketball finals

The hockey games are way more exciting and the camera angles are great. The 3-point shot has ruined basketball for me. Guys used to run and shoot. Now its walking the ball up court, passing the ball around, driving and dishing out to guys standing around the 3-point line.

27 comments

• Clackport
    10 years ago
    Nobody cares about hockey.
  • chessmaster
    10 years ago
    Its very simple the way I see it. White people like hockey for the most part. Black people and a small number of white guys like basketball. I'm black and most black people I know like basketball and football and don't really care for hockey or baseball at least as much. Its mostly white people I know that follow hockey and baseball. Naturally hockey is probably more popular.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I guess that all those Dominicans in baseball don't count.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^I'm white and I balled with a lot of good players, black and white. Its my game. Never played hockey and I knew nobody who did. I just noticed that hockey is now more intense to watch than the 3-point slow-ball the NBA plays.
  • sflguy123
    10 years ago
    Basketball is just a constant back and forth of 2 points. So many games come down to the last minute or two. An overall Ice Hockey game is better as it doesn't just depend on the last two minutes.

Of course football rules. And baseball...I just don't care about.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Dodgeball, now that's a sport.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^ don't forget teamball...brutal
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    Slick, surely you meant "Dodgerball."
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I think a lot of white people don't like watching the NBA because it's filled with black people or "thugs" with a lot of tattoos.

That being said as far as TV ratings for professional sports, it goes:

1. NFL
    2. NBA
    3. MLB
    4. NHL
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^obviously, you never noticed the crowd shots of a televised NBA game.
    Or been to one.
  • chessmaster
    10 years ago
    Let me clarify on the white people don't like basketball thing. From my understanding baseball and hockey are more popular with white people than basketball. That said, if your simply looking at the number of white people in the stands or even how many white people you know that watch or like basketball of course a lot of white people are into basketball because they make up a large chunk of the population compared to minorities.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    @mikeya- do you know what TV ratings mean dumbass? It means the number of people that watch it on TV. I obviously am not talking about the crowds at the games.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    I'm a very casual hockey watcher. I like basketball a lot more. That said, the NBA is very predictable, whereas the NHL isn't. There's a lot more parity in the NHL than the NBA.

I'm more into the NBA Finals than the NHL Finals, but that's only because I like basketball more.

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Ranukam, look at your first sentence. Basketball is not a sport for blacks. LOTS of whites play, like, and watch basketball. Kinda obvious.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    My main problem with the NBA is that a lot of it comes across as fixed, or at least overly predictable. Hockey is a lot more fun in the playoffs, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that if it goes to overtime, a goal wins it. Plus they got the best trophy in sports at the end. The only real downside to hockey is that sometimes, all your team needs to win is a great goalie. There should be more to it than that.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    One other thing I should say about hockey. I don't know how true it is about the NHL (I've only been to one NHL game ever, and that was in the 80's), but at least at the college games I go to here in Omaha (for the UNO Mavericks), there are always some black fans there. I know one of the black people I work with will go to hockey games at least once or twice a season. I also know they had at least one black player on the team in recent history, and for that matter, the Omaha Lancers (the USHL, which is junior level) have had one black player in recent history as well. Then there's Seth Jones, son of Popeye Jones, who plays for Nashville in the NHL.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    How to "fix" basketball:

Give each team 100 points, then play for 5 minutes. Still would take an hour to play those 5 minutes. Another item would be to lower the basket a foot. Sure would be a whole lot more good players and would eliminate the "freaks of nature".

How to "fix hockey:

Bring back the goons.

How to "fix" baseball:

Disband the Yankees.

How to "fix" football:

Bring back the 50's and 60's.

:) :) :)
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Basketball is probably my favorite sport, but it's because of college. I love college basketball. I'm not a huge fan of the NBA regular season, but in the playoffs it seems like the NBA is more like the college game

I agree with Mikey. Maybe it's because of the size and athleticism in the NBA, but the game has really changed. They really spread the court and either pass the ball around and look for an open 3, or clear out so a great player (like LeBron) call play one on one. I'm not saying it's bad - but after watching college ball for so many years, the NBA is a different game and hard to get used to.

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Raise the heigh of the hoop. That'll make things much more competitive.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    My bad mikeya, I misread what you said. Yes a lot of white people watch and go to basketball games. You have to remember though, a lot of that has to do with the majority population of America being white. Even with rap music, 65% of the rap CD's being bought are by white people.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    I love watching hockey (grew up in Canada), football and college basketball (especially women's - those girls can shoot!). Most of all, I love watching lacrosse. Anyone who likes hickey has to love lacrosse, particularly the indoor game.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    What about Teatherball? or Smear The Queer, Butt's Up, Steal The Bacon or Red Rover? Those are games that America can get behind.
  • likes2look
    10 years ago
    Calvinball!
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Calvinball!
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Hockey is much 'blacker' than most of you guys realize. Off the top of my head I can count 20 'black' players in the NHL and I'm positive that there are many more. That would make the NHL somewhere between 5% and 10% 'black'. There are more 'black' players in the NHL than there are First Nations players.

Probably the best 'black' player at the moment in the NHL is P.K. Subban of Le Canadien de Montreal. He's a big, bruising defenceman who can skate, make plays, and shoot howitzers from the point on the power play. He has attitude and takes absolutely no shit from his opponents....probably the most hated player in Boston after he made mincemeat of the Bruins in this year's playoffs. Habs also have the NHL's best First Nations player, goalie Carey Price. Price's mom was (maybe still is) the chief of a band in British Columbia's Chilcotin.

My beloved Edmonton Oilers have had many 'black' players over their time in the NHL. In fact, by the number of 'black' players on Oilers' rosters over the years it can be said that the Oilers are the most colour-blind team in the NHL. My favourite was the goalie on the great teams of the 1980s, Grant Fuhr - now in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

For most of his NHL career Jerome Iginla played for the hated Calgary Flames and always seemed to play his best against my Oilers during all those grand Battles of Alberta. He was, and still is, a player of high talent and quality. He is also one tough dude; you scrap with him at your own peril out on the ice. A stupid Oilers player (Sheldon Souray) was dumb enough to tangle with Iginla one night - broke his fist on Iginla's skull. Iginla made the pass to Sidney Crosby who scored the 'golden goal' in overtime to win the gold medal for Canada over USA at the Vancouver Winter Olympics in 2010.

Watch out for a young hard rock just starting his career with the Anaheim Ducks, Devante Smith-Pelly; that kid is going to be a 'playa'.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Art-Thanks for the insight. I didn't know any of that.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Praise the Lord! Stanley Cup playoffs are over. The best games that I saw during the playoff marathon were in the Montreal/Boston series and in the Chicago/Los Angeles series.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion