tuscl

OT: Typical U.S. worker now lasts 4.6 years on job

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/america…

I went 42 years with the same employer. How long did you hold out?

19 comments

• crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    I have never had a job for more than a couple months.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    @Shadow...those days are long gone, never to return
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    4 employers - 4 years, 4 years, 29 years & 10 years
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    ^^^ I would tip dancers with chicken too
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Come February, it'll be 18 years.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    3 jobs: 6.5 years, 10 years and just over 18 years in the current one.
  • londonguy
    11 years ago
    My longest stint was in HM Forces, best job I ever had.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    1st job: 3.5 years (layoff of 90%)
    2nd job: 6.5 years
    3rd job: 12 years, company lost contract an operation was closed down but went to work for the winner w/o even changing phone #.
    4th job: 18 years so far with above mentioned successor and company that bought us out. Should make it to retirement!
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Yea - I'm self-employed too. Sometimes I work for two or more of my "employers" a month! :) (Though I am not employed by the definition of the word.)
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Temporary jobs as college student, a few months tops at a time. First full time job, about 5 years, currently working a long long time in my current position and still counting. I'm not sure how they average all that. total months divided by number of jobs? I read a little bit about this a few days ago when I first saw the article.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    1st job: 3 months, 2nd and current job: 7 years
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    Five jobs: 1 yr, 2 yrs, 17 yrs, 1 yr, 16 yrs.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    The longest job I had was 21 years.
    The best job I had was a blow job.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Jack with the attack.
  • AnonymousJim
    11 years ago
    First job out of school: Went for four months part-time, then 10 months full-time. New boss for the last two months was a jerk. Quit.

Second job: Promoted after one year, laid off after two and a half more.

Current job: Getting on towards three and a half years. Starting to get antsy. Realizing it was kind of dead-end.

Do a lot of side jobs to supplement the income. Longest stretch in one of those is seven years and counting. Wish I could do my side jobs for a living, but I would make about 1/5 of what I make at the day job. Oh well.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I had a job for about 6 months when I was 15, didn't like working for a boss.

Started my own company and haven't had a real boss ever since (unless you count Canada's tax authorities).
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Part time stuff as a teen, 5 years.

After school full time 34 years, then reduction in force. Happens when one makes more than a job might be worth. Technology is what got me. Job became to easy.

Self employed, 3 years. To much work for to little money.

Retired, 3 years, boring!

Current work, a little over 4 years and enjoying!
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    Before my current job, I had a whole string of jobs, the longest of which I lasted 2 years. Some of those jobs I didn't even last a week. As for the job which lasted 2 years, I enjoyed that particular job, but it didn't pay what it was worth and it was losing money hand over fist. A year after I was gone, they declared bankruptcy. As for my current job, it will be 14 years and counting in February. It's not presently a happy period, but if the one supervisor got fired, I think most of us would be elated.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    I just figured that it takes 4.6 for the job to be outsourced to some communist country, leaving the poor yank unemployed.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion