tuscl

TUSCL Survey - How Far Have You Ventured From Home?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Just out of curiosity, how many people live within 1 hour of where they grew up as a child?

Why are you still there? /// or /// Why did you move away? /// or /// Did you move away and eventually come back?

28 comments

• Mate27
    3 years ago
    Moved away thousands of miles after I graduated college due to weather and economics. Expansions weren’t happening in a cold, blue collar environment.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Moved away for school, moved back for a couple years, moved back away.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Yeah I moved away and came back the New York area. Although I’m constantly thinking about getting the fuck out of here again. I’m back because this is where I grew up, a lot of family in the area, job market really good, just this city in general is a really cool place and there’s just nothing like it honestly but at the end of the day it’s you got some really crazy people running the show.

Let me put it this way imagine if somebody made SJG or Icee the mayor of your town, now they’re calling the shots. I want to try to fight it out, but if it gets too too crazy I’m done. Im getting some faith restored when I see near me on Long Island mostly a purple place went full red on Election Day. That gets me hopeful people are finally waking to this lunacy.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    At 18 I left my small hometown to go to college in another state. I've never been back except for visits. Now that my parents have passed away, I have no reason to ever go back.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I am about 10 miles from my childhood home. I’m still in the same county where I was born.
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    Born in Detroit, raised in Ontario from ages 3 to 19, went to college in Long Island NY, went to Jacksonville for my first two jobs, back to Pittsburgh for 23 years, and finally to Northern Virginia.

My accent had taken a major beating!
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Born in CA and moved to GA in 1988 due to company merger. No desire to go back.
  • docsavage
    3 years ago
    I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life. I like having long term relationships with people. I've been able to regularly see my parents, sister and nieces and high school and college friends by staying here. I've even been able to see people again I knew in my younger days who left and came back. For example, some of them moved to California. They recently came back to Indiana because they were tired of the high prices, high taxes, rolling blackouts, forest fires, crowded highways, hordes of homeless people, poop on the sidewalks and so on. I've also worked at the same place for 40 years and have known a lot of people there for a long time. I've even known some strippers in the local clubs for a long time, like 7 or 8 years.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    No need to leave
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Grew up in a very rural part of Texas. No future there. Both parents are now dead so I hardly ever go back. Although I do still own the house that I grew up in. We rent it out now.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    I live less than 30 minutes from where I grew up. Still have friends that I've had for 40 years and my business is established here.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Born in Cuba - lived in Miami from age 9 to 30 - 30 to 40 lived in Dallas - 40 to now (soon turn 52) back in Miami
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    My college was 4.5 hours from home, but I was back on breaks. In my 20s, I moved from Chicago to New Orleans, about 1000 miles, all on a single interstate: I-55. Later I would move to Fort Myers, 775 miles, all on I-10.
  • georgmicrodong
    3 years ago
    After I moved away from home to boot camp, I've moved three times, and have not been within 600 miles of home since. The farthest I've been from home is the Middle East.
  • loper
    3 years ago
    I moved to the northeast after college. I had never been east of the Mississippi before. Then a year and a half later I moved back to the southwest. Homesick. An equal time after that I moved back to the northeast for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I've called it home now for 41 years.

The farthest I've traveled is Greece to the east and Mexico City to the south.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    I moved back to the town I grew up in 20 years ago - lots of family and friends I’ve known for 50 years. That’s the up side. I’ll move somewhere warmer and cheaper when I retire if I can convince my SO, who also has deep roots here and want to be near the kids and grandkids…shit, I might be stuck here.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    13-14 hour drive away from my hometown. But I don’t like to stay in one place too long. If I didn’t have the flexibility to move around like I do, I’d move to my hometown just to be around my parents more.

My mom asked me if I wanted to move back in and live at home again, and it’s tempting, but idk how I could get away with hiding what I do like that. Plus I like my home club much better here than what is over there…at least for the longer haul.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ I bet you’d move on with Rick if he’d ask. Isn’t he single and ready to mingle?
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    I live far from where I grew up
  • FishHawk
    3 years ago
    Born in Wisconsin grew up in Florida. Lived and worked in all parts of the country. Now retired living near where I grew up in Florida. Moved back to take care of my aging parents. Now that they are gone I just like it here.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    "Childhood" was in SoCal, but adolescence was in the Phoenix area. Middle school, high school, undergrad, law school...all here. I think about leaving all the time, but then wonder where the hell I'd go. Humidity is a no-go for me. The west coast is too insane, though I'd love to see the PacNW. Definitely want to check out Montana and Wyoming - love the idea of wide-open spaces, but I don't have $10 million to make that happen, and also it's really fucking cold. It'd be cool to check out Idaho, really want to see Coeur d'alene or however the hell it's spelled. I would probably consider the upper midwest for the right $ opportunity... originally from Detroit but like the idea of Traverse City or Grand Rapids.
  • EastCoaster
    3 years ago
    I lived in the same midwestern city until I was 18. Since then, including the places I went to college and grad school, I've lived in seven different states -- including four on the East Coast from Florida to New England. Aside from school, the moves were for professional opportunities and mostly sizeable increases in salary. I am now retired, financially secure -- and, happily, not moving ever again!
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I forgot about military time. While my home was still in CA, I spent 2 consecutive years in Japan '64 & '65.
  • RTP
    3 years ago
    I grew up in a state that I love, but whose economy has been in a downward spire for decades. I left after Graduate School and will most likely never return to live. I now live in a really desirable location in the south with great weather, booming economy and plenty to do. As a few have said, I followed the money and found a great place to be.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I'm 1252.6 miles from where I was born in Brooklyn
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I live within 30 minutes of where I grew up for the most part. Been friends with my friend Karen since 1970 and still have friends I see weekly from high school.
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    Born in Minnesota, we moved to Oregon when I was 12. Like it here. Eugene/ Springfield is big enough for me but not too big.

I never returned to MN till about 10 years ago to connect with my biological father.

I was surprised how flat it was; as a little kid I was sure there were hills here and there.
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    And I went to my 1st strip club in Fairbanks, that's the farthest from MN I've been.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion