tuscl

COVID World - What Can You Still Not Find?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Oh how COVID has disrupted everything. Supply chains are totally screwed for a million different reasons.

I turn on my xBox probably 4 times a year, yet I want to buy a new one. Only problem is they came out around thanksgiving last year and I still haven’t seen one in a store. Same with a PS5 (PlayStation 5). I even have an app on my phone that alerts me when they are instock online and I haven’t been able to grab one, although I’m not trying that hard to begin with.

What’s something you’ve had trouble still finding? I know at one point it seemed like everything was hard to find, but there’s still issues.

I know some other common things:

Pet food, especially “higher end” brands.

Beer, wine and liquor, certain brands. Locally they’ve been out of Corona Lite, an associate from work came and visited me a few months ago and flipped out because he went into a grocery store and found Modelo in cans, he said he can’t find it anywhere and left here with 8 cases worth for him and his friends.

Chicken Wings. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve gone to a local restaurant and tried to order them, and they told me their food supplier was out.

26 comments

• gammanu95
    3 years ago
    I bought a new couch, I was shocked to learn it would be delivered this week. I had read that furniture availability was impacted by the COVID supply chain disruption. I'm also in the market for a new truck, and I'm torn between the F150 Lightning, the Tesla Warthog (aka Cybertruck), or sitting tight for another year to see if there is an electric Ranger. But auto companies, like Ford, are idling entire planta becauae of parts shortages. Let's see if my truck can go another 30,000 miles.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    I got an air fryer and they are easy to make chicken wings in. Best $100 you can spend and then get the wings at your store or Costco for 1/2 as much as they charge at your pub. Mine tastes better, too.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I know how can you still not get a PS5 or Xbox Series X? They are gonna flub a second Christmas in a row.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Almost our entire commercial sphere and the lives of individuals have been shattered by the COVID hysteria.

What is missing is criminal prosecution for Gavin Newsom and for Sarah Cody.

SJG
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    What can you not find in this covid era? How about a civilized conversation between people with different viewpoints? Haven't been able to find one of those for a couple of years now. Regardless of the topic it seems that everyone is so certain their view is right and refuses to listen to the other side. This has been a problem that has gotten worse for a while but really seems to have escalated during the covid era.

The other thing you can't find right now is a reasonably priced house. A house 3 doors down from me just sold for the 3rd time in the 12 years since I bought my place. The 1st time it sold about 10 years ago it went for $149k, the 2nd time it sold about 3 years ago it went for $185k. I figured that was a reasonable price increase because in the 7 years that owner had it he replaced the roof, windows and siding which cost him around $20k. About a month ago it hit the market listed at $280k and I laughed because I know the only work that had been done since the last time it sold was to repaint a couple of the bedrooms because they didn't like the color. It sold the same week it was listed and it actually went for over asking price and brought $294k.

I had never planned to sell my current house but after seeing that I called the realtor that handled the sale and had them come over to see what they thought I should list mine for. My house is about the same size and age as that house but it sits on 12.5 acres instead of the 4 acres that house had. I bought mine in 2009 for $140k and it was appraised by the county for tax purposes in 2019 at $195k. The realtor said she would list it at $360k and would expect it to have competing bids over asking price.

I love my house and especially the land that it is on but that has me seriously considering selling it and finding a cheap place to rent until the bubble bursts before buying a new place.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I work in the heart of the Rust Belt. Good old American Manufacturing. Been doing my job for nearly 40 years and have never seen anything quite like this. I thought coming out if the Great Recession of 2008/2009 was bad in regards to material shortages but that was like a walk in the park compared to today.

Ordinary consumers see shortages at Wal Mart and long lines at Starbucks but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The supply chain in the manufacturing world is in utter chaos right now and not getting better. I can certainly understand why hoards of workers nearing retirement are walking away. I may be next
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I still cannot find winning Powerball tickets, can I blame that on supply chain shortages as well.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Ammo is still in short supply. Chips for vehicles. Appliances of all sorts. Some medicines. There are multiple reasons for these shortages but covid’s disruption to supply chains is a big problem.

We really need to make more stuff here again.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Ammunition has been an issue, but that existed to some degree or another even before COVID-19.

Large appliances have been a hot mess. I know a couple of people who had their refrigerators or washers die, and they wound up buying appliances that they didn't necessarily like because what they wanted was on back-order for an unknown number of months.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ that happened to me. I ordered first week in December, they said I'd have it by NYE. They showed up on NYE, but with only 2 of the 4 appliances I ordered, other 2 were on backorder until March. I said "not so fast" went and picked out another more expensive set (which they gave me for the same price) and all of them were not delivered until mid-February.
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    @whodey “I love my house and especially the land that it is on but that has me seriously considering selling it and finding a cheap place to rent until the bubble bursts before buying a new place.”

I agree prices have escalated like crazy but be careful trying to wait for the bubble to burst. RE prices have held steady for some periods of time but they’ve rarely ever decreased. Sell if you’re looking for something else, but it will be hard to time a drop. Plus, with rates so low you’re probably in a sub 3% mortgage. You’ll be taking some interest rate risk over time. I don’t know you’re whole situation and you’ll know best, wanted to add some thoughts. Carry on. 👍🏼
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    “your whole situation”

Dammit
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I've had prices for some critical business supplies go through the roof due to Covid. When I recently quizzed a supplier about when the prices would come back to pre-Covid levels, the answer was "Never. Because everybody including you are paying those prices for the same quantities." (and it's not like the prices are appreciably lower at other suppliers)

Bless them for their blunt honesty, I guess.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Furniture. 6 month wait for a custom upholstered couch.
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    Costco's combo pizza.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ a lot of variants have disappeared. I know companies like Coke (for example) are trimming their flavors and package sizing across all brands under their umbrella.

Something else 1 every time I go into the grocery store I can never find Tostitos. They are out EVERY SINGLE TIME. Just the shitty multi-grain ones are left.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    2 pound mozzarella chesses, Walmarts Great Value house brand. They have 2 pound blocks of their other cheeses, but they have been out of mozzarella 2lb for many months, so I have to settle for 1lb.

SJG

The level of sexual frustration in the land remains high, so guys need to hear this:

Why you want to hand your girl money, but never buy dances:
    tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=77484#commen…

Countryman learns the value of front room makeout sessions in US clubs, instead of buying dances:
    tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=60950

scroll down and find, "I had experienced enough kissing in our local clubs."
    tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=77135

Is strip clubbing perverted?
    tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=60779#commen…

Transmitting Viruses
    tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=76495

And a Big Thank You to TUSCL and its Leadership!
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Oscar Meyer bacon.

There’s store brands and some off brands but it’s been hard to find Oscar Meyer for more than a year
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Furniture if nobody has said it yet. TLDR
  • BubbleYum
    3 years ago
    Replacement dancer shoes in my size and canned cat food. Quality customers (kidding). I'm fucking over this shit already and what it has done to the economy.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I needed a new water heater 3 months ago. Neither Home Depot or Lowes had one in stock. My plumber, That I totally trust, found one for me at a plumbing supply store at a 20% increase in price and I was happy to get it.
  • elmer
    3 years ago
    ^^^ & ^^^^ waited 3 months for a freaking recliner only to have it come in in the wrong color

and Yum canned cat food is a real bitch to find anymore
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    My mind.

And The Pixies aren't much help in finding it, either.

https://youtu.be/49FB9hhoO6c
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Types of sneakers I like
    A good quality couch
    Electronics
    Spent a week looking for a new phone
    Lots of foods.
    Fresh meat.
    Crackers
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    I would like a PS5 but can't get one.

New cars also are just not worth the hassle right now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion