tuscl

Good TV Shows - Know of Any?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Aside from sports I rarely watch TV. Right now there’s been that small window where only baseball is on, and my wife and I started watching Nacros: Mexico. We just finished season one.

28 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I know you just said that you don't watch a lot of TV, but are there particular genres that you enjoy more (or less) than others?
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Peaky Blinders (Netflix)
    The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
    Goliath (Amazon)
    Warrior (HBO Max)
    True Detective (HBO Max)
    Banshee (HBO Max)

If you can deal with subtitles, Netflix has a few other good ones:

Fauda
    Money Heist
    Hit and Run

• shailynn
    3 years ago
    C.M.I.

In the past my favorite TV shows I watched all the way through were:

Sopranos

Game of Thrones

Walking Dead (but eventually I got burnt out after almost all the original characters were killed off)

I seem to like action or drug lord type of series
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    The Last Kingdom is very Game of Thrones-ish. Vikings is also really good, on Amazon.

https://youtu.be/WxPApTGWwas

https://youtu.be/9GgxinPwAGc

Peaky Blinders is kinda Godfather-ish, but in England post-WW1.

https://youtu.be/oVzVdvGIC7U

Banshee and Warrior have a ton of action, made by the same guys, but Warrior also had help from Bruce Lee's daughter (based on stuff he wrote). Warrior's fight scenes are insanely good.

https://youtu.be/VI7haj7HTCA

https://youtu.be/J0QMqpHXYeM

• rattdog
    3 years ago
    take a shot with this one: bad blood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Blood_…

kim coates is a real underrated actor.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    "Peaky Blinders" could be a good match.

"The Boys" on Amazon Prime.

"Banshee" is an older series, but very good.

"Bad Blood" on Netflix. It's about organized crime in Montreal. It has been recommended to me, but I haven't watched it yet.

"Tehran" is an Israeli spy thriller. I enjoyed it.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    CIM - haven't seen Tehran yet, but if that's what it is, you'd probably like Fauda on Netflix. It's like 24, in Jerusalem, like the Israeli anti-terrorism group. Really good
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    3 years ago
    “Boardwalk Empire” is similar to Sopranos. The lead actor even spent a season on Sopranos. Not sure where it is streaming these days.

I recently enjoyed “The Irishman”. (Netflix). Some complained about its length. But I watched it over two nights and felt it remained interesting throughout.

I’m currently watching “Killing Eve”. (Hulu) Spy action thriller from across the pond. Enjoying it.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Also, if you're a Sopranos fan, then you should know that they're releasing a prequel series, starring Gandolfini's son, on 10/1/21.

https://youtu.be/dHa95iy2lF0
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I really HATE this evolution of streaming services. Media content is so splintered. You have to subscribe to so many different services to watch everything. I liked it better when everyone watched Married with Children.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    An old TV series Wiseguy is a lot better than the sopranos and is about the mob.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    For what it’s worth, I just couldn’t get into Peaky Binders. Friends told me it was must see TV. I watched 2 or 3 seasons and quit.

What type of shows do you like? The last several years I’ve been binge watching a lot of older shows. Catching up so to speak. We truly are in the Golden Age of TV. It’s not the stuff (of my childhood anymore - Gilligan’s Island, Brady Bunch, Beaver)

If you haven’t watched yet - I consider these a must:

Justified
    Sons of Anarchy
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Ozark
    Homeland
    The Americans
    Mad Men
    The Walking Dead
    The Queen’s Gambit
    Prison Break
    The Wire
    Lost (best show ever in my book)

You must watch The Queen’s Gambit kn Netflix. Best show of the year. You’d never guess a show about chess would be so compelling. Short - one season. Just fabulous
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    From that list, totally agree with Justified, The Americans, Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul, The Wire, S.O.A., Ozark, and Mad Men. Homeland started great... And I had to quit The Walking Dead because I got so sick of "let's walk, find a place to live, oh no it's being overrun by zombies / other people, hey let's kill off a main character to get viewers because we literally have nothing other than this circular story". Lost was awesome...and then if just got weird.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    In the past I watched Boardwalk Empire and the Wire. Both were okay, certainly wouldn’t put them at the top of my list.

My wife was all into Queen of the South on USA network and Ozark. I need to go watch Ozark, I think I’d like that.

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, so great ideas out there.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I’ve not been watching any dramas recently.

I guess I’m very old school as my dramas are a bit old.

Law & Order Organized Crime
    Blue Bloods
    Magnum PI

A reality series I enjoy is To Catch a Smuggler.

Dark Sise of the Ring is interesting at times too.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Idk if anime is automatic “no” but if it’s not…

Attack on Titan for the epic saga that goes on for a while with lots of clashes.

One Punch Man which is action and comedy. Kinda a spoof of the superhero genre.

Psycho Pass is a police investigation show in a futuristic dystopian setting where an algorithm system runs society in general and law-and-order in particular.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Ozark is very good.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    The Wire was the best show I’ve seen despite that though Tbh I’m not a huge TV guy. I’ll watch some comedies maybe real quick. But to ask me to watch a whole series is just such a huge time commitment. It’s like 80 hours. I just don’t feel like stepping in. With movies I just watch it for a couple hours and that’s it. I do watch baseball still.

My favorite stuff of the past decade has been anything Anthony Bourdain. Parts Unknown, Layover, No Reservations. Awesome, awesome stuff.

And I missed it but a few years back they came out with some more Trigger Happy Tv I was watching some fo that the other day. Maybe my all time favorite show. Dom Jolly is a genius.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Godfather of Harlem on EPIX is great. Forest Whitaker as Bumpy Johnson. Vincent D'Onofrio as Vincent "The Chin" Gigante. Lots of gratuitous violence, mob guys screwing each other over. What's not to love? Paul Sorvino, Chazz Palminteri. Awesome series.
  • chessmaster
    3 years ago
    If you are into black drug dealer TV shows ive been watching kanan rising lately. Kanan rising is a power spinoff which was great imo(power). Tariqs show was average(forget what it was called). Snowfall was also decent. The walking dead fell off with the negan saga but its much better the least 2 seasons but I haven't watched the new season premiere yet. Game of thrones was excellence seasons 1-5. Season 8 ruined possibly the greatest TV show of all time. Now that goes to breaking bad imo or some other show now.
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Workaholics
    Future Man
    Silicon Valley
    Dave
    Archer
    Parks & Rec
    Bob's Burgers
    Frazier still a banger
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    misterorange for the win? Godfather of Harlem?!?!?! That sounds like it's down my alley with Forest & Chazz Palminteri - two very talented actors.
  • gobstopper007
    3 years ago
    Yellowstone
    It’s The Godfather meets Dallas
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I just recently watched "The Good Shepard" it's a movie not a tv show but it was over three hours long, and held my attention for the entire show, it stars Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, Alec Baldwin, and Robert DeNiro among a large all star cast and it tells a somewhat fictionalized story about how the CIA came to be out of the OSS of World War II, you'll enjoy this it's available on Demand and Netflix
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    Some stuff I don’t think was mentioned yet

Jack Ryan - 2 seasons on Amazon
    Without Prejudice - also a Clancy adaptation. It’s a movie with a euro style

Silicon Valley (echoing above) great comedy on HBO MAX
    Barry - very dark comedy on HBO MAX. Phenomenal if you like things like Ozark, Weeds, Breaking Bad, Sneaky Pete
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    Another vote for The Queens Gambit.

Enjoyed 'GLOW', glorious ladies of wrestling, occasional nudity, women wrestling, and funny.

And The Marvaless Mrs Maisel.
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    Homicide Hunter and American Detective both featuring former cop Joe Kenda.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Other than some sports, I watch very little TV. I don’t say that to be critical of those who enjoy it. I’m just laughing at how out of touch I’ve become with the medium. This thread is reading like a foreign language to me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion