tuscl

OT - chinese coronavirus vaccine

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Are you planning to get it as soon as it is available?
Wait any specific period of time to watch for news of adverse effects?
Will your job/employer require you to have it within a particular timeframe?
Or will you skip it entirely (anti-vaxer?, science denier?, conspiracy theorist?)

I think I will wait for a French or German formulation to become available, if I can. Their drug restrictions are usually more stringent than the US FDA, and the Russian and chinese formulation is more likely to be toxic than prophylactic.

32 comments

• crsm27
    4 years ago
    I personally wont get one. The only reason why is the two times I got the "normal" flu shot i became sick as hell one week after each time.

I am not an anti-vaxer by any means. Just this happened to me personally with a "flu shot" so i dont get them.

• Tetradon
    4 years ago
    I'll wait a few months until more data come out. The first approvals will be rushed and politically motivated.
  • loper
    4 years ago
    btw., it's the Trump virus.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    ^okay leftard
  • herbtcat
    4 years ago
    Once it is approved by reputable medical experts, AND when my personal physician tells me it's effective and safe, I will get it.

That is what everyone should do. This is not a political issue.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    No
    Yes
    No
    Yes (no, no, no).
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    I plan to get the vaccine ,after a bit of a waiting period to make sure people aren't turning into orcs
  • founder
    4 years ago
    I've never had a flu shot. Not about to start now.

Has nothing to do with being an anti-vaxer. I just never felt the need to.

• shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I'm with herbtcat. I have never had a bad reaction to flu or pneumonia shots and I'm in a very vulnerable health situation.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    Haven’t had a flu shot since I was a kid, so I’m undecided. I tend to believe these weaken the natural immune system. We will see how things go. I’m doing the social distancing thing still where I can, haven’t been to a club since March but not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Lol at Trump virus, cmon man. Trump didn’t eat bat stew.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Always get a flu shot. Would never do anything made in China or created there. Once an American, European or Israeli vaccine is created I'm first in line. Risk is thrilling.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Any vaccine approved in the us before the elections will be a purely politically motivated move by trump. And won't be safe
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    TDS Poster Child ^
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if getting the shot doesn't become a requirement to travel and do a bunch of other stuff.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Legally states would have to enforce vaccinations. Given the problems enforcing even mask mandates I doubt states would enforce vaccination laws. Although legally they can.

Businesses can try said policies but that would open doors up to lawsuits and would be an invasion of privacy violate contracts etc.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I'm waiting to see what Juice does then proceed accordingly
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    ^do the opposite of what Juice does, right?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    As I posted in a previous thread, I'm not big on getting vaccines - it seems some people have adverse reactions and I'm one to have had a bad reaction to a flu vaccine 20 years ago and have never gotten another vaccine since then.

w.r.t. the Covid-vaccine - I've been of the mind set that I'll likely get it unless I start hearing of adverse reactions in a fair # of people, then I'll think about it harder - I've been avoiding gatherings b/c of the Rona so I'd wanna get the vaccine so I don't have to worry about it - as others, I'll probably wait to see how other people do w/ it b/f I take the plunge - also by the time a good # of vaccines are available where it's easy to get one, could be by then Rona is not as big an issue either thru herd-immunity or some other mechanism and it may not be as necessary.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I’m going to get the vaccine when it becomes widely available.

I’m not planning to rush out and get it immediately. I don’t qualify as being in one of the highest risk groups - and I’m not a first responder - so I will most likely get the vaccine after the initial rush.

I’ve been working from home since March. I’m not sure when we will return to the office. The date keeps moving back. I think JP Morgan wants it’s traders in the office starting sometime in October, but I’m no longer on one of those floors.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I think I will wait for a French or German formulation to become available, if I can ..."

That is an interesting angle - hadn't thought about it - although w/ multiple manufacturers here in the U.S. I was thinking I'd try to get "the best one" within the U..S. manufacturers - although IDK how it would work to get/pick/choose a specific one and if the foreign ones would be available.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    With discussion title's wording, not sure if question relates to any vaccine for the Chinese Coronarivus (as in, what Trump calls it) or a Chinese-developed/produced vaccine for Covid-19.

If it's a vaccine developed in China or Russia, not sure what I'd do. I'm cynical of Covid-related information filtered through those governments and thus cynical of any Covid vaccine developed there regardless of quality of scientists and procedures.
    If vaccine were developed in countries where I trust process more (USA, Canada, Germany etc.), I'd try to be first in line if it facilitates immediate international travel - had 2 trips canceled on me this year and want to reschedule. Too bad FKK not on itinerary
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    I'm leery of any vaccine so I most likely will avoid it same as I have avoided flu shots.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    “ Once it is approved by reputable medical experts, AND when my personal physician tells me it's effective and safe, I will get it.”

What herbcat said is what I’m going to do as well.
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    All health decisions, be they decisions by the patient, doctor or public health interests should always be guided by a risk versus benefit mindset.

I’ve been stuck more times than I could ever begin to remember with vaccines/inoculations for “everything” known to man so I’m not an anti-vaxer. In fact I just updated my tetanus shot which is largely unnecessary in the States but I’ve decided it is a benefit to me.

I don’t put things in my body that I don’t think are necessary and I have not gotten the annual flu shot for at least the past 20 years and won’t again this year. I suspect but obviously don’t know, that this year’s flu season will be extraodinarily mild simply because of the wide spread precautions already in place for Covid-19. So I personally see little benefit to taking a vaccine for what is just somebody’s best guess of what this year’s strain will be.

While I appreciate the sentiment here of waiting to see if the eventual Covid-19 vaccine is safe, there will be so many people in front of the average person that IMHO it will not be a consideration by the time it becomes available to John Q Public.

Personally I absolutely would NOT take anything with Chinese fingerprints on it. OTOH the Russians have released data on their vaccine and the deal with that is that it produces a lower level of antibodies compared to the leading Astrazentica and/or Moderna vaccines. So at this point it isn’t so much a question safety but rather a question of efficacy - is the amount of antibodies enough to effectively deal with a Covid-19 infection. That is unknown but the same question applies to the others – will even the higher amount of antibodies be enough to be effective. WE DON’T KNOW!

All that said, yes I’ll be as close to the front of the line as money can buy simply to be able to travel freely once again.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    i don't understand. say you want to be vaccinated with the one produced say for example by the swiss. how would you know which doctor to go to that has the swiss one?

and how would you that the one injected into you is going to be the one from the swiss? i don't think the nurse administering the shot would be obligated to show the vial.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I would wait for the approval one of our premeir teaching hospitals. A place like Johns Hopkins or Mayo.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I would assume anything information coming directly from the Trump administration is suspect.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    *premier
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    *space genious
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    I am not an anti-Vaxer in my opinion, but I have never received a flu shot and doubt I would be interested in the COVID one. I am not in an at-risk group and have engaged in activities such as commercial airline travel, working out without a mask and indoor gatherings without masks. If the virus is still around when I am considered at-risk, I may consider the vaccine.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    shit. i’m dead. numerous no mask encounters.
    4 years ago
    If there is an effective vaccine, and that is still a big IF, I’ll be first in line. Waiting to see if there are side effects is a fool’s errand, if there are serious side effects they may not show for 10 or 20 years and that’s too long to be side lined.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion