tuscl

Now Drew Brees is getting shit for standing up for our country

https://sports.yahoo.com/le-bron-james-l…

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2926…

Me, I'd rather be crucified and then burn hell for the rest eternity than not stand up for the flag. That's just me though. Somebody has to stick up for this country while others bury their head in the sand and bow lefty group think. Good for Brees, they really are like the mafia. As far as the NFL, I'm over it. I can't take it anymore. I'm just watching a bunch of knuckleheads who hate America, make millions off her.

96 comments

• mal_hodgson
    4 years ago
    If COVID has thought me anything it’s that I really don’t miss watching any of the major college or pro sports. I really don’t care if any of it comes back, if it means I don’t have to listen to them tell me why I should think and believe in. Same goes for Hollywood.
  • TFP
    4 years ago
    Muddy it seems, like Drew Brees, you still didn't get the meaning of the kneeling protest. That's why he's getting shit. America wasn't under attack by Colin Kaepernick taking a knee. That didn't have shit to do with the flag or the anthem. He chose to kneel at that time to make a statement. Not to disrespect a flag or a song. And the fact that you're willing to stand up for a piece of cloth rather than stand up against black folks being killed unfairly by cops says a lot.

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... He chose to kneel at that time to make a statement. Not to disrespect a flag. ..."

But he did disrespect the flag - this is a classic case of the ends justifying the means - AFAIK people were not opposed to *what* he was protesting, but they were opposed to the *way* he went about it.
  • GivenToFly
    4 years ago
    I have no problem with peaceful protests or anyone expressing their opinions on anything. However the national anthem is an ode the those who fight for the country. Look at the complete lyrics. Kneeling or not standing during the song because of racial injustices doesn’t make any sense. The logical way for anyone to interpret that form of “protest” is to assume that the message is for those who have served. I am a huge sports fan and I hate that this will be the main talking point when sports resume.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The ends don't justify the means - it'd be like saying it's ok to attack a police officer to protest police violence so the cops know what it's like - police brutality is wrong - attacking a police officer is not the way to correct that wrong (theoretically speaking) -there were different ways to achieve what Kap was trying to achieve and in the end his message got lost bc he went about it the wrong way.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The flag is not a piece of cloth - it is a symbol of our nation - it's not a perfect nation, but it is our nation
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    A flag is a symbol. I love USA despite its shortcomings which are significant, including TFP's statement about blacks being killed unfairly by cops (heck, anyone of any color that gets killed unfairly or discriminated against by anyone in a position of power).
    But I don't worship the flag though I respect and appreciate what it stands for. As an adult, I find the portion of the Pledge of Allegiance where one pledges allegiance to the flag to be silly. I pledge allegiance to the country for which it stands yes, but the flag, it's a symbol that merits respect but not worship or getting crazy uptight about.
    And no, I'm not a pinko commie - my father served the entire WW2 on a destroyer in the Pacific theater, he was already in Navy when Pearl Harbor was bombed and the flag the Navy presented to our family at his funeral is one of my most treasured possessions (and yes WW2, he was significantly older than my mother).
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Kap got pushback not bc of *why* he was doing it, but bc if *what* he was doing - anyone else doing the same thing for a different reason would have gotten the same response
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    On Kaepernick specifically, though, I respect his right to do what he did but I find him unbalanced, kinda immature, and question his methods and some of his motivations.
    He had been benched as starting QB during 2015 season for Gabbert who was even worse QB than Kaep.
    During the anthem of 4th preseason game of 2016 when he did not get the start, he sat on the bench (not kneeled) during anthem - that was stupid and disrespectful.
    During anthem at 5th preseason game, he kneeled with teammate Eric Reid. I wasn't a big fan of what he did but it was sure as hell better than sitting and the statement he was making merited being made even if I wasn't a fan of his method.
    Then at some point he said he would continue kneeling until there was change in injustices committed by LE against African Americans and other persons of color (can't remember his exact quote or stated criteria for change, tried to find it but couldn't). He remained backup QB for first 5 weeks of season, then got his starting job back.
    At some point he resumed standing for anthem despite his stated criteria not having been met.
    Seems to me there was more to what was going on with his head and his acts than opposing racial injustice (immaturity, job insecurity, inability to mentally and emotionally deal with the simple fact he just wasn't very good and the NFL had caught up to his style of play).
    OK, amateur psychology hour over.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    -@Papi: "anyone else doing the same thing for a different reason would have gotten the same response."

True and good point. I don't know what else he could have done to bring as much attention to his stated cause, though, and that cause (racial injustice) merits lots of attention. Too bad Kaep (IMO) is not a super worthy standard bearer of that cause.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    @TFP you already know your one of my favorite guys on here. This country ain't perfect but it's come a long way, and during that journey a lot of blood was spilled defending it. Blood from Black, Brown, White, whatever it was all red and all under that piece of cloth. That's our chance to remember them and thank them for it. I served, proud to do it but that's one thing when your in we never fuck around with. Reveille, Retreat and Taps. I will be torn limb from limb before I do.

That Officer has been arrested and tried for murder what else do you want our country to do about it? In my city, the majority of the gangs are either black or latino. Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, etc. That's just the demographics of it and those gangs are where most of the hard crime comes from. So cops are going to have more run in's with them it just is what it is. What about black police officers (who are a good chunk of the NYPD), where do they fall in this? Are they racist too? Some people do horrible shit, it doesn't speak for everybody, the best we can do is make sure justice is served fairly.

Don't believe this media man. We get along a lot better than they say we do. They just love pitting black vs. white. But that flag is what unites us, and it's the solution not the problem.
  • TFP
    4 years ago
    @Papi his message wasn't lost, just twisted by certain people. Plenty of us knew what the message was and once again, it didn't have shit to do with any flag. Kaep got pushback from people who interpreted his peaceful protest differently. Unfortunately for him, the pushback came from not only certain civilians, but the powerful people who employed him and the other millionaire athletes in the league.

@Papi your example of attacking the cop to protest police brutality was quite poor. Kaep wasn't commiting any crimes in his protest. There's no law that says you must stand while the national anthem is being played or you go to jail.

And as far as I'm concerned, a person's life is far more valuable than some symbol. Put the two side by side and to me that symbol is really just a piece of cloth.
  • NinaBambina
    4 years ago
    "people were not opposed to *what* he was protesting, but they were opposed to the *way* he went about it."

I guess he should have rioted and looted.

I mean seriously, there doesn't seem to be a correct way for blacks to protest in America. No protesting is appropriate. If you're black, protesting is illegal. Is that the case? What is the right way?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    When Kaepernick started his protest it was not a big deal, then Trump got involved and the whole thing blew up out of all proportion. This is typical of Donald Trump, seems like the big fat bastard has forgotten that he is president of the United States and is just looking to pick fights with folks that haven't got the ability to fight back.
    This is just another example of Donald Trump showing his true colors as the bully and coward that he really is.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    @Nina If somebody's protesting peacefully I'm not gonna stop them. They have that right. I may not like it but they can do that. What *I* am saying and what's go on with Brees is if I am standing up for that flag don't try to stop me or anybody else that does. No amount of name calling, peer pressuring, or media bullshit is ever gonna put me on a knee whole that anthem plays. It's not about politics, or religon, it's about taking a second to remember what we lost so we can cherish and enjoy what we have. The fact that offends people now just makes me truly worry about the future of this country.

@25 I agree that Trump's unprofessionalism and antics have only worsened things but the left's answer to it is just as bad if not even more so.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    Remember when Colin Kaepernick peacefully knelt to protest social injustice? News media condemned him, the president raged about him, and NFL owners refused to employ him. Now everyone claims to be in favor of peaceful protests. Are these people going to apologize to Colin Kaepernick and give him a job?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Muddy Have to disagree with you here if Trump would have just left the situation alone it would have died a natural death all by itself, instead our cowardly President has fanned the flames of a mostly extinguished fire, just because he sees some benefit to himself. Blaming the left for Donald Trumps self inflicted wounds is ridiculous.
  • Cowboy12
    4 years ago
    I understand what Kaepernick was trying to do, and agree that police brutality is a problem, but its not even in the top 20 problems facing this country.
    Also, kneeling did not really accomplish any positive changes, it just pissed people off because it was seen as disrespect to the flag/country.
    He was protesting at work, which would get most of us fired.
    Then he was hailed a a brave hero by some....for accomplishing nothing. SMH
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Well right now, police brutality has the country tied up in knots so if you don't think it's one of the "top 20 problems facing this country" right now, what do you think we should address right now ?
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    What is happening to and being said about Drew Brees is a classic example of leftist hyposcrisy. By being patriotic and expressing that he felt his colleagues and peers should do the right thing (which is contrary to what the liberals want), he is being unfairly labeled racist, ignorant, privileged, and so on.

Liberals only want free speech when it is what they want said. If you utter one syllable to the contrary, the apply the "racist" label. Nothing is more un-American.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    People can lie all they want about Kap. It doesn't change the fact that he's a piece of shit with his pig socks, spitting on all who cared about this Country.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    If Colin were just "making a statement," this would have played out much differently. He specifically said he would not stand for the national anthem, because the anthem, the flag, and the nation were lies. HE SAID THIS. Everyone is trying to rewrite history. Colin specifically said he would not stand because he had nolove or respect. That is what he was doing.

If he wanted to make a statement and discuss racial disparity and injustice in America, why not do it pressers afterwards? He has the mic, the cameras are all on him. He could have said, "I'll be happy to talk about the 70-yard drive at the two minute warning,but first I want to address Trayvon Martin, Ferguson," and whatever the hell else drive him over the edge. That would have been an approprate, respectful, intelligent way to go about it. Also, when he started kneeling, he was dating a Muslim DJ activist with ties to several extremist, sharia-law groups. She influenced him to do this, ruined his life, upset millions of Americans, drove discord and partisanship... Colin got killed by the pussy.
  • gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    For many who served, especially in combat areas, the flag represents those did not come home. I respect everyone’s right to protest peacefully, but Kaepernick was also seen wearing socks that had pigs wearing police hats while all that was happening. Don’t disrespect all in a group while protesting the acts of a few in that group
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The police shooting of Michael Brown was as justifiable as any police shooting ever. The fact people still chant "hands up" when that was proven to be a total lie, simply proves they have nothing.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Colin Kaepernick is an attention whore, plain and simple. His sudden desire to protest did not begin until his job was on the line. Now he's Nike's whore, albeit a well paid one.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Kaepernick is an ignominous, whiny little rich bitch of marginal talent that got exactly what he deserves. Whatever he claims his real message to be, he chose to kneel during the national anthem exactly because he knew it would be viewed as disrespectful by the vast majority of viewers. He shit in his own nest (a gilded nest by the way) and thinks there shouldn't be any consequences. He was on the job and intentional pissed off the customers. I can't jump up on the table and take a shit in the punch bowl at the company client Christmas party and expect no consequences because I claim I'm doing it to draw attention to "my message," however meritorious that message might be. What's amazing is that the NFL completely caved to this ass hat. He would probably still be playing football if it wasn't for the market forces of supply and demand. There is no demand for a marginally talented player who pisses off the customers. He can say anything he wants. He has that right. He doesn't have the right to say it on the job. Thankfully, the teams view it that way, even if the NFL leadership (I use that word loosely) doesn't, so I don't have to see him on TV kneeling during the national anthem anymore.
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    Once again it was never about the flag. Move on already.
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    Now Kaepernick, the privileged oreo who has never seen "the hood" and self proclaimed defender of the down-trodden, is getting rich(er) taking Nike’s blood money made on the backs of child SLAVE labor. And yet there are still people who defend this cretin.

You just can’t make this shit up.

• WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    Colin even got permission from vets and they said it was not disrespectful to kneel. I don’t know why u closet racist dudes Always cry about it. Look at the real issues of injustice and pigs killing unarmed black men. I wouldn’t stand for a flag of a country my people are still oppressed in either. Also Colin risked his whole career and big money for it. Now these same nfl teams that didn’t wanna hire him are saying black lives matter fuck outta here. When it was peaceful y’all didn’t wanna hear it but when shit is burning now u agree with his kneeling and peaceful protest. I hope all this shit burns to the ground now.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Colin got permission from the vets? What a fucktard statement. Stupid lying asshole; no one speaks for vets and gave permission. Colin walked away from 16 million dollars; he is as stupid as stupid can be. I don't agree with his kneeling and wish the pompous, privileged rich asshole nothing but despair and misery. Fuck the NFL and all pro sports.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    We don't need lessons in patriotism and respecting the flag from draft dodger Donnie, the bone spur buckaroo.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    That's true Jack. Perfect straw man argument.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    Has Kaepernick ever done any protesting on his own time?

Gammanu is right, he didn't stand because he said he didn't like the country.
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    America sucks for black men why would he stand for this bs country that’s only in favor of white men 😂
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    @ Brehnamedwavey. For your consideration, I’d like to offer three quotes from someone who inspires me:

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
    ― Booker T. Washington

“I would permit no man, no matter what his color might be, to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.”
    ― Booker T. Washington, Up from Slavery

“Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than to be in bad company”
    ― Booker T. Washington
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    CK had a constitutional right to kneel as he did. That said, there is no constitutional right to be free from the consequences arising from his actions.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Veterans have come out on both sides of Kaepernick and indeed, he changed his demonstration from sitting to kneeling specifically in response to request from a veteran who asked him to show more respect. I accept that many see his demonstration as an affront to the military, but his message had nothing to do with the military. His opponents connected the message to the demonstration and maybe they can’t be separated. It doesn’t change the fact that his message shouldn’t have been controversial to anyone - violence by police against blacks should be investigated.
  • NAAAASTY
    4 years ago
    All Drew said is he'd "never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America" that's it. Nothing about Colin, racism, police brutality etc. All that is on everyone else. Those shitting on him can't separate the two.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    And Drew caved and apologized, while Colin whines that he is being discriminated against.
    This twisted, backwards reality reminds me of the poem by Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Read the last two lines again, and tell me that is not where our society is today.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I don’t se this as Brees caved at all, I never thought that there was a problem whether or not he agreed with the protesters as far as I know, it’s you guys that made this into a kerfuffel when it was a big nothing burger.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    The worst is Donald Trump, the rage queen of Twitter. He has no respect for the US Constitution or the truth.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Trump could have alleviated a lot of this by responding to Kaepernick that he would investigate police brutality. He could have even said he saw no evidence of it but would investigate anyway. He could have even said nothing and not made it worse. But that is not his way.

Instead, he had to call Kap a son of a bitch who deserved to be fired without ever responding to the reason for the protest.

Trump is a divider not a unifier. It’s intentional and worked for him and got him where he is today. He sees it as a win and he’s not going to change. If he wins again in November, those who vote against him will have no excuse that the people were confused as to who Trump is. We all know who he is.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    It was a big nothing burger until Brees was attacked because he had the temerity to actually express his own opinion about standing for the national anthem. So much for the "tolerant" liberals and diversity of thought. Brees totally caved.
  • NinaBambina
    4 years ago
    "Me, I'd rather be crucified and then burn hell for the rest eternity than not stand up for the flag."

Prove it.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ I didn't attack either Drew Brees or Colin Kaepernick, it's still nothing but a kerfuffle in a paper bag.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Liberals are just as diverse as an ounce of salt water.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    25: I didn't say you attacked either of them. But Brees was attacked for expressing his opinion. Look at the original post and the links.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Liberals don't care about what you write. They are just moronic robots reading a script.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I agree that Brees was attacked, like he knew he would be and obviously didn't care until (i'm making an assumption here ) he got a threat against his money
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Watch the fucking video. Brees was asked specifically about Kap and kneeling. His response was “I will never agree with someone who disrespects the flag.” Was he saying he disagreed with the demonstration or the message? To me, it’s subject to both. If you interpret it as disagreeing with Kap’s message, well then yes, Brees needed to clear it up.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    I thought Brees was getting ready for retirement? He must have wanted to preserve any shot he had in broadcasting after leaving the game. Sorry, Drew, no one else has a backbone. You are toast. Go play golf with Tom Brady and Donald Trump.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Brees' first response was that of a man; his backing down response, was that of a pussy.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    The Saints brass and his agent probably told him to do damage control. Hell, they probably wrote the post for him.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Now one is "racist" or "uncompassionate" for just standing up for the national anthem. Watch now people are going to get attacked physically for doing so. The left just has to understand that some of us care about this country and don't want to burn it down. I'm sure also next is going to be burning flags, "But it's peaceful" they'll say. If Rick Monday saved a flag from burning in 2020 he would probably be outcast as a heretic and banned from baseball for life. SMDH.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    The reason people jumped in his ass is because, like many people, when the original kneeling moment occurred, some chose to focus on that distraction of "disrespect for the flag" rather than deal with the reason for the event which is injustice by LE toward black folk and people of color. Brees is not a dumb man but is stuck on a distraction rather than the reason for the outrage. My mother, who served in the military, and I had this very discussion when the even first occurred. She said she could understand the feelings but respect for the flag was important. I pointed out to her that many black folk, like her and I, served in the military only to have the country they served discriminate against them when they returned. Pretty difficult to kiss the hand of your oppressor in those circumstances! I pointed out her battles with inequality in the military when she was a communication specialist in the Air Force dealing with top secret transmissions. She's very articulate, an incredible typist, and very strong in critical analysis which is what the job required. Still they tasked her with training a "white" replacement for her job! My mother had to pause and take all this in. She now understood where I was coming from. Bottom line---you must deal with the cause of the problem and ignore the distraction to effect change. A protest, by it's very nature, is supposed to be inconvenient and uncomfortable.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    4 years ago
    I may be white and a Naval vet, but the flag to me is a just a (replaceable) piece of cloth unless you honor the constitution it represents. We seem to have forgotten the Main course for the fancy box it is wrapped in.

Flags be replaced. Storefronts and merchandise can be replaced. Quarterly profits can be made next quarter. Governments can certainly be replaced.... but a HUMAN LIFE is over in a short moment. LIFE Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness (not necessarily a buck in a Fat Cat's wallet) are INALIENABLE.

• skibum609
    4 years ago
    I agree with the post above that it never should be about the "flag"; burning it is constitutionally protected, so shitting all over it like Kap did (Say what you want, that's what he did) is absolutely protected and legitimate. My right to call him an asshole; a fraud and to call him a liar, is also Constitutionally protected as my free speech. While racism against black people is undeniable and a large cause for why they have failed to thrive, it is not the only cause and when we can have an open conversation about it, we will move forward. If protesting, looting and burning only ends when you force people like me to say "white racism is the only reason blacks have failed in America"; then keep protesting, looting and burning. Nothing you can do will force me to pretend I agree with you. What I have stated is how I feel and I will defend it the same way protesters are defending what they feel. If you feel I am wrong and you can force me to agree, come try to burn or loot my house or business.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    It appears to me that Kap became radicalized by associating with extremists that believe America is the devil/enemy and does not need to be fixed but must be brought-down/destroyed and be replaced with some leftist utopia "where everybody is equal", you know like all those successful communist nations of the past.

There are wrongs in America that need be fixed but fighting a wrong with another wrong does not fix the problems, it just creates new problems.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    "Flags be replaced. Storefronts and merchandise can be replaced. Quarterly profits can be made next quarter. " Hugh, the amount of ignorance in that statement could stun an elephant.

It is not about the flag. Noone burns a flag to diss the cloth. Noone kneels or fails to remove a hat for a piece of cloth. It is the ideals behind the cloth that they are burning and disrespecting. Why else do so many get triggered by the confederate flag? It's not because they cannot whistle Dixie.

Storefronts and windows can be replaced, but the store may not be able to afford the deductible after three months of closures and lockdowns, if they even have insurance. The store may not be able to survive another quarter, if they miss a quarter's revenue. Most small businesses are run on extremely tight profit margins, typically less than three percent. With big box stores, chains, and corprations always opening more and more locations to claim more and more market share, it only ever geta harder to stay afloat. We should not have to worry about rioters and looters running rampant.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    The inalienable right to pursuit of happiness is my right to own and operate my own enterprise. Taking the fruits of my enterprise ir necessary items to operate it are not part of your right to pursuit of happiness. Doing so actually forfeits your right to life and liberty.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    Looting and criminal activities are, unfortunately, conflated with the actual protests and this is a big problem and another distraction folk want to emphasize while diminishing the real issue. It's not about handouts or folk crying "victim" because they had a bad day. It's about the destructive nature of systemic racism. I as a black man face it all the time. I fight it and move forward but it's a reality that needs to be dealt with. If my experience is not your experience, then actually listen and learn and then things have a chance to improve. True, you have the right to be narrow-minded and proudly wrap yourself in the veil "Everyone has the same oppurtunity, so why are they so upset," or you can have a more open attitude and understand there are lessons in basic humanity to be learned. I do my best to take responsibility for my shortcomings and try to understand where others without my unique experience of understanding both the macro and micro-cultures of today. I've lived in both worlds all my life and have met many who have open minds as well as those who can't see beyond 3 ft in front of them on a sunny day. I'm hoping there are more of the former.
  • Mr_O
    4 years ago
    This woman pretty much sums it up for THIS time, but what she has to say can fit many of these situations in which we find ourselves.

https://www.facebook.com/realCandaceOwen…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    w.r.t. Brees - my understanding is that he was asked a specific question about players kneeling during the national-anthem - he answered the question-asked and stated how he felt about the kneeling issue. I don't see why he can't have that opinion w.r.t. the flag if that is how he feels about the *flag* - two things can be true at the same time - why can't he be both pro flag and pro civil rights?

It often appears that the folks screaming the loudest that they wanna be heard are often the least-tolerant of others being heard or anyone having an opinion that in *any* way goes against what they believe -from where I sit the intolerance I am seeing is w.r.t. those that seem to wanna decapitate anyone that does not agree with their specific world-view - many of these folks that are vocal about freedom and inclusion and fairness, don't appear to offer it to those that don't agree w/ them from A to Z.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    OK, I'm kind of pissed off now. I just saw the whole video clip of Brees' teammate Malcom Jenkins criticizing Brees. Right at the end he talks about how Brees' comments really hurt because he's "one of the guys he goes to war with." This stupid motherfucker actually equates getting paid millions of dollars to play a ball game with going to war. He's appears to be sincere because he's actually crying when he say it. He's clearly deluded himself into believing that shit. He doesn't have a clue.
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Brees caved in. Why do people say things if they don't intend to stand by them. Where are the men in today's world? Worse than not saying anything and it will only encourage the PC bullies to attack more people for speech and opinions, even opinions like Brees' that didn't serm controversial.

This isn't even about having to "back up" your opinion in a fight but just standing by it in the face of some public criticism. I know its about money, but in my opinion that makes it even more disgusting.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    We are talking about backlash for standing for the national anthem. I just don’t know what else to say. It’s really come this far. Astonishing.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    Candace Owens is a FOX friendly conservative with opinions that are definitely counter to mine. She definitely re-inforces certain very narrow views of the situation. But that's her right as much as it's my right to disagree. But the real problems behind all of this aren't going away until everyone deals honestly with what's up. You can find a million excuses and try to dismantle the obvious disparities that divide us but that's counterproductive. Yes, the media does sensationalize events but being a black man, I've lived this bullshit and I'm sick of it. Don't worry, not going to burn down a business or loot a store and most folk that share my sensibilities are not about that nonsense either. But we do insist and will persist to excavate and bring to light all the challenges that stand it the way so we can elevate and really live up to the promise of what it all should be. Ask yourself why folk are really pissed. Look deeply and think!
  • GivenToFly
    4 years ago
    It is fascinating that 4 years later it’s become much more controversial to question someone for kneeling than it is to kneel.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Have any of his so-called peers and colleagues actually engaged Brees to ask him why he feels that way or tried a respectful conversation with him? Not that has been reported.

As far as we can tell, he voiced an opinion during a time of heightened stress and tension, and thoae who disagreed immediately began shouting him down and attacking him.

Nothing is more un-American than attacking someone who simply expressed a priority for loving his country.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Many things to be pissed about Oscar. Do you believe racism is 100% of the reason the black community does not thrive?
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    While you guys are questioning Kap and his motivations, why don’t you ask Drew Brees what he was thinking when Brees knelt for the anthem and disrespected the flag?

https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=4916
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Personally I don't care what athletes think, but at the time he did that I felt he was a grandstanding, pompous bitch, just like every other asshole who kneeled and every owner who made a statement. Actually sorry about Kap because when he was young my fantasy team was getting killed; I picked him up off the waiver wire and won the league. Made me money when I needed it, putting him in a category with Go for Wand and the second patriots super bowl winning team 18/1.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    I guess his “two grandfathers who fought for this country and brought Brees to tears whenever he hears the national anthem” weren’t important that day? I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and still am. He’s done a lot for NoLa and black people. But if y’all are questioning Kap’s motives save a little of that shit talking for Brees’s hypocrisy. Or call it a change of heart. Or maybe just tell him to shut the fuck up. Snowflakes.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    All athletes need top shut up. How fucking stupid would one have to be to give a shit what china butt licker Lebron the high school grad has to say?
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    >Still they tasked her with training a "white" replacement for her job!

You would have to explain in more depth to say that it was racism. Otherwise, from a white person's POV it looks like you're jumping to conclusions. We think black people see racism where there isn't. Like Michelle Obama's story about racism in Target.

There's lots of white people who have never seen discrimination in the work place.

• NinaBambina
    4 years ago
    Maybe Brees realized the issue was never, ever, about a flag.

Candace Owens is bought and paid for by the alt right. She made a speech a couple years ago saying Hitler's only mistake was not the Holocaust, but was simply being too ambitious and wanting to expand instead of being a nationalist. She will say whatever the far right want her too. She hates herself.
  • oscarlomax
    4 years ago
    Yahtzee, Here's what happened with my mother. A white women was brought in to do the job my mother was doing. My mother was tasked with training her and then this woman would assume the supervisory position my mother had and my mother would then be her subordinate. When my mother asked why this was being done after she had done this job for months and had been praised by some superior officers, this new woman was brought in. This is is why I have a problem with that situation. There were many other instances along with this she encountered while serving this country that contradicted the "freedoms" she was supposedly fighting for. The bigger issue here is enlightenment. If someone is angry about something, before any of us jump to the conclusion that the person is just complaining because they are spoiled etc., inquire as to why they are upset. Really look at it from another POV. When we do that, we begin to grow.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    Thanks for sharing your story oscar. But again I don't think that's something where you can conclude racism because getting treated unfairly at work is a pretty common thing. I know lots of people complaining about the same type of thing and had something similar happen to me.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    No white person was ever promoted because of skill and no minority ever not chosen because of lack of skill. Its all racism; all the time; always.
  • Rickberge
    4 years ago
    Damn its 2020 and some people still dont get it. I'm glad that young white people are starting to have empathy for how blacks are treated.

Maybe things will change in the future. Anybody over 35 is not going to change their ways, and I respect that.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    How do young white people have empathy? Similar experience? Similar neighborhood? Same type of coffee drink: Meaning less words on social media? What makes young people feel how black people feel? By the way does tha black community have any responsibility for the failure of their community to thrive?
  • Rickberge
    4 years ago
    Young white people are starting to see that blacks lives are different than theirs in the sense that "we (blacks and whites)" are not always equal.

It's one of those things in where, "if it doesnt happen to me then I dont really care"...

Young folks are starting to see it now. They may not fully understand it yet but I think we (as a country) are moving in the right direction to where we can start to get some serious dialogue on racism and prejudice in this country. And like I said, people (or most) over 35 will not be equipped to have this conversation because they're set in their ways. Which I respect.

And we are not talking about the black community and their failure to strive. That's a WHOLE nother conversation that can get real deep. But I'm talking specifically on how blacks are treated by the police. Young white people are seeing that something is really wrong.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Not saying it's impossible, but there seems to be something missing about the story of Oscar's mom. First, the military is probably the most race neutral organization in the US. Are there some bad apples? Sure, but generally speaking, nobody gives a shit about where you came from, your opinions, or the color of you skin, as long as you can do you f'ing job. Second, you just don't just "bring someone in" in the military. People are assigned to positions with orders, and the positions are based on a written table of organization, which lists every position in the unit, the rank of the person that should fill it, and the skills the person should have (i.e., Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) in the Army, rating in the Navy, whatever the Air Force calls it). Higher ranks supervise lower ranks. It would be extraordinary if Oscar's mom was ordered to train a lower ranking person who then took over her job and supervised her. However, what is not unusual is a position might be open because there is no one available of the proper rank/MOS, and a lower ranking person is designated to fill it, or maybe someone with not the correct MOS, or both. Then, when the person with proper rank/MOS shows up, they may have to train that person on the specifics of the job at that particular location, and then move down a step in the hierarchy. It boggles my mind to think that someone could be demoted in the military simply because of race, and it if it happened, it would be the basis of a valid Equal Opportunity or Inspector General complaint, and there would be hell to pay.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    >Young folks are starting to see it now.

That's because those young people are "progressives" and in order for their life to have meaning, to feel superior to their parents, they need an injustice to fight - real or imaginary.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eagles-pass…
    So this Brees apology, and subsequent "re-apology" by his wife, are making more sense to me now. He makes a simple statement that people should respect the Flag. That position is unacceptable to the "tolerant" left. Apparently, respecting the Flag now equates to disrespecting an entire race of people. The statement is immediately condemned by members of his own team, and now opposing players are saying they "can't wait" to play against him. They might as well just say they plan to cripple him and end his career while his own team allows it to happen with minimal protection of their QB. Another example of how the thought police keep everyone in line, by any means possible. I suspect the NFL is going to see a much bigger decline in viewership this time around. I know I won't be watching.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    When the CoronaVirus hit, it was all one could watch on TV - even when I listened to sports radio one couldn't get away from it and one had to sit there and listen to sports broadcasters talk as if they thought they were expert scientists.

Now I fear I will have to sit thru an NFL season of political protests when I'd rather be able to enjoy a game w/o politics - there is a place for politics and I'd rather be able to enjoy a game w/o politics - I'm not sure if I'd be able to stomach a whole NFL season of political protesting and political commentary - and I can see Kapernick being on a team so the NFL can show its not racist.

• skibum609
    4 years ago
    I see myself playing fantasy football and ignoring the games entirely.
  • sideshow_bob
    4 years ago
    Clown world.
  • etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    Drew should just sit out in protest. Let's see how his social justice teammates perform then. As wins go down, money goes down.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    ^^
    Hell, he's 41 years old. It would be a good time to retire for his own safety. After making such an "insensitive" remark about respecting the Flag, these guys are gonna put him in a wheelchair, or worse. One or two more seasons isn't worth the risk. He should get himself a thousand acres of property out in the mid-west, take his family away from all this controversy, and disappear from the public eye.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Respect the flag, and you're a hatemonger.

Say all lives matter, and you're a racist.

Respect and thank cops, and you're a white nationalist.

Acknowledge that a free market economy in a democratic republic is the best political system thus invented by man, you get some bullshit about "white privilege".

Reality is being replaced by bullshit. With the aid of an equally corrupt and complicit media, you are no longer allowed your first amendment right! Even the media cannot control this monster they have created! What kind if a world is it when Donald Trump is the leader we need, because he is the only one willing and able to point out the bullshit?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Clown king
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Amazon.com is now proudly displaying a "Black Lives Matter" banner in its homepage along we the statement "Amazon stands in solidarity with the Black community" .

I stand for black lives mattering but it's getting to the point of "black lives matter more" and black persons not requiring equal-treatment but special-treatment - seems there is some overreach which can prove counterproductive where all accountability is held at the feet of white America and little to none w.r.t. the black community.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    papi, it's not even about BLM and police brutality anymore. It's all about claiming systemic racism, white supremacy and the evil of white men for the past 500 years. It's fucking crazy the amount of signs I've seen about ending white supremacy.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Fuck Amazon.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Unfortunately, the message has been changing from "Black lives matter" to "only black lives matter" and then "hate all whiteys and kill all cops". The BLM movement, just like the rest of the bullshit progressive democrat apparatchik has been taken over by the fringe loonies. Are you curious what the nation will look like if the democrats win both houses of congress and the presidency? Check out the so-called "CHAZ" in Seattle. That is the future that AOC and the rest of her loonie liberals pals have in mind for all of us.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion