tuscl

Decriminalizing prostiution

bang69
North Carolina
Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:14 AM
I think they should decriminalize prostution. In strip clubs. What do y'all think

26 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I think we need a discussion about what type of clothing to wear to the strip club ;)
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    I think you are taking a highly controversial position bang69! This will certainly get people riled up!

You should follow up by annoying someone about politics. Brilliant idea: say something really nice about conservatives since that is sure to rile up all the progressives that post here! ;)
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I wonder what impact that would have on the human trafficking epidemic.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    Yes. But don't hold your breath.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Decriminalization isn't the same as legalization....

Decriminalization basically means that the prostitute won't be arrested but will be given help for her addiction, access to groups helping with viable employment, help in case of trafficking, etc. It basically makes her plight a social problem. However, penalties against tricks, pimps and other enablers would increase.

As far as legalization goes. Look at NV, its legal but illegal prostitution is a much bigger share of the trade. A lot of factors go into it, but I think mainly that the women who are prostitutes would most often not be attracted by the legal regulations.
  • londonguy
    5 years ago
    No because the quality of girls will decline
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    In modern times Prostitution is the business or practice of engaging in sexual activity in exchange for payment. It is a business transaction.

“In the Ancient Near East along the Tigris–Euphrates river system there were many shrines and temples or "houses of heaven" dedicated to various deities documented by the Ancient Greek historian Herodotus in The Histories where sacred prostitution was a common practice. It came to an end when the emperor Constantine in the fourth century AD destroyed the goddess temples and replaced them with Christianity.l

“the term "prostitute" gradually took on a Christian moralist tradition, as being synonymous with debasement of oneself or of others for the purpose of ill-gotten gains"

I think it should go back to being a religious sacred practice, since we have freedom of religion, and not taxes or business rules should apply. Women would be considered sacred priestesses and live in safety and comfort in the clean safe environment of the Temples and engage in religious sexual practices with men and women who will provide for the maintenance of the religious facilities and the well-being of priestesses, the temples and practices.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Temple prostitutes weren't for everyone though, and the purpose wasn't sex, it was really them believing that by cumming in a her, they were ridding their bodies of sin and maladies. Money paid wasn't a fee for sex, it went to the temple.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Decriminalization seems to be what we need, in the US, and today.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Decriminalization still makes solicitation illegal.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Usually decriminalization just means that no laws against prostitution will be enforced, at least in some designated place. And so solicitation will no longer be illegal in that place.

What it does not mean though is health checks or licensing. Many feel that there are also oppressive against women. Like if there are to be health checks, why should not the men also be subjected to that?

Legalized prostitution in Mexico is long established. But the Netherlands form of legalization is no longer something advocates promote. And they have never promoted the NV model.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    In practice, it means the prostitute isn't criminalized. Penalties against tricks, pimps and other enablers are usually tougher coz the premise behind decriminalization is to offer a safe zone to protect the prostitutes.

Simply decriminalizing and turning a blind eye to it won't be a thing coz of taxation and licensing and oversight issues.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Real decriminalization means that no one is penalized.

Some countries though have gone to prosecuting tricks and customers. A different approach.

If they want taxation an oversight, then they need to go to legalization, like licensing facilities, and maybe people as well.

SJG
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    My opinion is LET ADULTS PLAY so long as it is consensual. The LAW should stay the fuck out of it.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    We can buy and sell guns, even assault rifles ...

... but we are not allowed to buy and sell the most wholesome, natural thing money can buy - sex!

Only in America!
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    There is no full decriminalization anywhere because it would violate basic employment laws. There are places so poor that there is simply no infrastructure or funds to handle many crimes, but its illegal nonetheless.

You can't have a civil society with rampant black marketeering....

• san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    So if the laws against prostitution are lifted, then it is legal. There are no labor laws which would apply to a free agent operator. It has never been possible to enforce labor laws at the bottom end of the economy.

Local liquor store owner turns to a guy who basically lives just by living with his sister, waiting till he turns 65. Store owner pays him a few bucks to go buy some postage stamps. No way to regulate that kind of stuff.

San Francisco used to be heavy with street hookers, and nice looking ones too.

Mexico has legalized prostitution, but only in some places. Other places they just don't enforce.

My understanding though is that Costa Rica has fully decriminalized prostitution. No rules at all.

Most people who want restrictions want there to be place restrictions, health checks, and licensing.

But most of the prostitution advocates no longer want the licensing. They say that it does not work well in the Netherlands, and that it works against the women.

Why Icey do you seem so concerned with maintaining criminalization? Efforts to eradicate prostitution have never worked anywhere.

SJG

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie - Live (1978) [Restored]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZWvDnk…

Shadowcat, against politics:
    https://www.tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=…

Western Esotericism, Hermeticism, Gnosticism, Theosophy, Rosicrucianism, Masonry, Templars

Republican Anti-Abortion Crusade, a new Culture War for 2020 Election

Why TUSCL?
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    In Costa Rica, child prostitution and sex trafficking are illegal.... Many prostitutes are illegal immigrants and or have pimps, so there is a level of criminality that is fought against. Its just that privately selling sex isn't in a penal code, but organized prostitution is....as are associated crimes.

I think prostitution is a big social problem. I've seen the impact it has on women, families, communities, first hand.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Well a woman might choose to engage in prostitution. Should she be interdicted, branded as a criminal?

Usually pimps only get in when prostitution is illegal.

Amnesty International has recommended decriminalization as the best way of protecting prostitutes.

SJG
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    The organization I'm building will emulate, in part, the Tijuna Zona Norte model of strip club/brothel coupled with a German FKK experience. Women will be required to be at least 21, as I feel the level of maturity is still lacking from ages 18-20.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Yep!

SJG
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I recently watched a TED Talk on why prostitution should be decriminalized and legal means be provided for men to engage a woman’s services. The speaker was a woman who had been fiscally required to prostitute herself.
    A frequent argument is “would you want your daughter/sister or whoever to be a whore? Maybe not but I’d like her to have the right to make the decision herself.
    It raises lots of questions regarding STI’s, homosexual prostitution, safety, etc. when Rhode Island “accidentally”allowed indoor prostitution for four years, there was a statistically significant decline in STI’s, sexual assault, and street walking prostitution.
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    @gawker, that woman who was fiscally required to prostitute herself, can you provide her email or link to her Web site, my friend is asking.
    And you're right: Women should have the right to make the decision themselves. Prosecute only those who attempt to force them into prostitution, traffickers.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Yes, to make the choice for herself. That is how I feel.

Because if the woman wants to do it, she will. Decriminalized is safer.

I had not known this about RI.

If people want to go to Universal Basic Income at the same time that they de-criminalize prostitution, great.

Does this need to be only some places though?

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    If prostitution is decriminalized then you could say that labor recruiters are required to obtain signed consent and see some id.

As it is now they cannot do that.

Most angles on it get safer with decriminalization.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion