tuscl

Does checking 2 boards suck?

founder
respect for others goes a long way
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:19 PM
I'm annoyed at checking two discussion boards. Let me know if you think they should be combined. There will still be VIP only discussions that aren't shown to standard or anonymous users, and they won't be shown to Google webcrawlers. I think this will be a good enhancement for VIP users Thoughts?

95 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    It's not the end of the world having to go back-and-forth b/w the two boards but I prefer having just one - I was never pro two-boards, I think the trolls can be managed via the Ignore function and scrolling - some people just rather bitch about the trolls than ignore them.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    I have been confused as to which board to post a new topic and was trying to use the VIP board for topics I thought might draw more trolls. My ignore cup runeth over so I would be happy with just one board.
  • TheeOSU
    5 years ago
    I'm fine with the 2 separate boards. I'll bet many will disagree but If you want to change something, the dancers have their own room that we can't enter, make VIP customers only and we can all meet in regular discussions.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    How about a double-secret VIP board
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    If we could have a filter to toggle between all/vip only that would help
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    I like separate boards.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I like separate but equal - like the good-old days :)
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    I'm OK with two separate boards.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I’m OK with either it might be a good idea though simpler is always better. @Papi segregation forever ;)
  • PaulDrake
    5 years ago
    I like separate.
  • JuiceBox69
    5 years ago
    I only check VIP Front room is a wasteland of shit I'm glade not to see or even be apart of any longer. Love the VIP
  • founder
    5 years ago
    Here is a mock-up of what I'm thinking about [view link]
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    ^Ooh that mock-up looks awesome. That seems more convenient, I vote to combine.
  • clubdude
    5 years ago
    I don't mind two boards. However, after seeing your mock up I'm for combining the boards.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    I like that mock-up. Allows the VIP member to see all on one, yet be private at same time.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    It's a little annoying to check 2 boards but not terrible. If we're to have only 1, I vote for the VIP board.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    I don't mind the two separate boards. But I will adjust either way.
  • s275ironman
    5 years ago
    I’m fine with either setup. I don’t mind checking 2 boards, but between the 2, I spend the majority of the time reading the VIP discussions. Before the split was made, I was scrolling past almost every discussion and rarely ever finding anything I was interested in reading, and my participation began to drop. I know the ignore function is there, but the trolls haven’t annoyed me enough to really use it. I just got in the habit of scrolling past discussions and comments from the biggest offenders.
  • JuiceBox69
    5 years ago
    Mock up looks cool
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    How about a third board for any discussion created by SJG
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Mock up looks cool but, you’ll be making it easier for the trolls to spam the non vip posts
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I like your mock up a lot
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    I like the separate boards. Having a board where good topics are not buried in troll crap was exactly the point of the exercise, or so I thought. I enjoy being able to choose whether or not I want to wade into an area with tons of OT posts and nonsensical stuff.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    @25 how? The non-VIP's wouldn't notice anything different. The trolls already have access to the front room.
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    Good with the mock up of one board and designated VIP threads; you rock founder.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Maybe I’m not getting it properly but if non VIPs can see the threads it will encourage them to spam threads to get the vip threads knocked down causing there to be no threads on the front example this morning the first 10-15 threads are lil balla or if you look at the board at about 6-7pm every fricken thread is SJG bumping some ancient necrothread.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Oh, I get your point. How about a button allowing the VIP member to choose Front Room, VIP, or both. That would allow the member to filter out the front room discussions if desired.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    I was about to say something but then I looked at Longball's avatar. I think I got hypnotized for a while.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    I feel strongly both ways. That’s what she said.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @flagooner a button allowing you to filter out vip and non vip is essentially what we have now only differences is they are two separate forums.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Looks like I’m in the minority. I hate, hate, hate the mock up. It would force VIP members to view all the trolly posts and it’s more complicated than the way things used to be. Ugh !
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ that’s pretty much my point
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ but I don’t hate, hate, hate, it I’m more indifferent to it.
  • lotsoffun201
    5 years ago
    I seriously didn’t like weeding through the troll crap on the board. I prefer the VIP board as it is, although combining is a good idea, we would still have to scroll through the troll crap.
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    Which brings up a another question of mine; I used to be able to upload avatars up to about 2Mb in size; now only up to about 500Kb. Really cuts down on my ability to find and post good ones. Founder?
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    I’m a fan of software that cleanly performs its core task ( the way Mac OS and iTunes used to be ) versus behemoth software that constantly layers on new “features” to its original software ( Windows ). The mock up tries too hard to be all things to all users.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I hate software that clearly performs it's core task.
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Either way I’ll adapt aswell. But the trolls love spamming shit. That shit is dumb. I really should check the second page but I really don’t. Might of missed something good.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    Either way is fine with me, but i fyou do combine them maybe make a filter radio button to show one or the other or both? Default could be both. And if you can remember my view settings (sort by last comment in discussion, show quick view in daily reviews, etc) that would be a great enhancement too.
  • TheeOSU
    5 years ago
    "How about a third board for any discussion created by SJG" How about we gag him and put him in the corner? And after seeing the mock up I think I'd still prefer 2 separate boards. I still don't want to put anyone directly on ignore but if was all combined you'd still have to wade through the spam posts whereas that's not needed here.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    To add, though I strongly prefer to two board solution, 25 and Dolfan both make a good point. If we had a button to filter out the non-VIP discussions when we choose to, it would alleviate the concern about having to wade through troll posts to get to the VIP topics. We've been down this "just put the trolls on ignore" road already and if it wasn't enough then. Giving them the chance to keep bumping crap threads and burying VIP topics would be backsliding IMHO.
  • bullzeye
    5 years ago
    I liked the separation of the boards but I think your mock-up will work. Also, I definitely appreciate both TUSCL and all the work you put into it founder
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    I prefer the current two board setup. I like the troll-lite VIP and I know when I enter the troll zone. Reading through the troll zone wastes more time opening and determining which posts are stuff I’m not interested in. If you decide to combine as in the mock-up I’ll live with it. Thanks for being creative and asking for member input.
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    I'm hesitant to speak with any confidence at all, since I thought the notion of two boards was ridiculous in the first place -- and yet, it's worked out amazingly well. VIP board is a roaring success -- very high signal to noise ratio here, plus it's accomplished something that merely bleating "duh, just use ignore" never could, which is that there's been a bunch of new posters (some of them long-time reviewers) that I've never seen before, because the VIP doesn't scare away new people. I still can't figure out why the trolls aren't just putting in dummy reviews and then coming in here to do their thing, but they're not. So I'll say: - Checking two boards is a minor inconvenience - But it's a major win that signal-to-noise is so high in VIP - It's a major win that the VIP is attracting new posters, something merely using ignore could not accomplish - It's a major win that I don't log onto the board and see 6 new posts from Nicole about her shoes, 5 attack posts from Icey and Trap, all of SJG's old posts about politics bumped, etc. Not even seeing those things is what's getting new posters to use the forums. Just like I supported the split even though I was against it, to at least give it a chance, I'd give the merged board with hidden VIP threads a chance. But once again, I think the huge downside is any potential new contributor looking at the board will see a high noise-to-signal troll board.
  • woodstock
    5 years ago
    I don't mind having two separate boards; that's why browser tabs were invented. I find that I tend to read VIP board more often, simply because the s/n ratio is higher.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Good point on opening a separate tab. I don't think to do that on my phone.
  • pensionking
    5 years ago
    I don't even look at front room any more -- I'm exclusively VIP discussions. I don't have the time or patience to leap over old SJG bumps or trolls chats or troll posts on legitimate chats. I have enjoyed the VIP being separate from the front room. Subra and Flagoo said it well. Then again, it is Founder's sandbox . . .
  • steeldog65
    5 years ago
    I do mind a little bit switching between the 2 boards but it's worth it to not have to put up with the crap that you previously had on the single board. Whatever you choose, I'm not going to leave the site regardless
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    Two boards is fine and it isn't that uncommon for sites to have multiple boards. For the most part I look here first and many days I do not check the Main Board.
  • Lurker_X
    5 years ago
    The truly old timers will remember how on [view link].strip-clubs we developed a convention of putting ASSC in the title of each post. We used that as a filter to quickly hide most of the commercial spam and scams that were cluttering up the newsgroup. Combining forums seems like taking a trip back in time, forcing many people to switch to VIP Mode in order to filter. My speculation is that right now, you have some VIP members that occasionally go into the front room - who would just leave their browser set to 'VIP only' all of the time after combining forums.
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    It is in no way inconvenient for me to switch between boards. I open each in its own tab, and just close the tab when I’m done (or leave it open if I think I’ll need to go back). In addition, switching allows me to shift mental gears to match the board I’m going to. I also like, as others pointed out, going to the VIP board and not having to wade through a gajillion threads about virgin sex queens and the benefits of chloroform over GHB until I’m mentally prepared to bridge that divide.
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    like some others, I just open up two tabs -- even my phone browsers are tabbed. So it's a minor inconvenience abut not a huge deal
  • founder
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the input It's very helpful
  • sinclair
    5 years ago
    I don't see the difference between the two boards because many of the trolls are on both boards. It takes very little effort to get a shitty review approved and be a VIP. It seems some members will vote to publish anything. Might as well just combine the boards.
  • Lurker_X
    5 years ago
    ^^ Founder can continue to tweak the approve / reject ratios on how reviews get posted, though. But we also can see from Icey's example that some trolls feel like buying a membership. I dunno, no answer is ideal.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Like the new single-discussion view w/ optional VIP function - def more streamlined IMO - will non-VIPers be able to view/read the VIP threads?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ Yep the new format looks sharp and crisp, but let’s see what happens when SJG starts posting in 3-2-1 minutes;)
  • founder
    5 years ago
    Non VIP should just see what someone who is not logged in sees
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    You’d best restate your rule about copy and paste lest our resident moron think it’s no longer relavant
  • founder
    5 years ago
    I PM'd him directly
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    Hmmm, the settings, messages, favorites, logout choices are now taking up 20+% of phone screen.
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    Hmmm, the settings, messages, favorites, logout choices are now taking up 20+% of phone screen.
  • founder
    5 years ago
    GSteph, what kind of phone? Browser?
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    What is the rationale for not letting non-VIPers and/or newbies at least be able to read the VIP threads so they can get a better-idea of what the discussion-board/TUSCL is all-about; is it the anonymity issue?
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ it seems if they are newbie non-VIPers that they won't know there are VIP discussion threads
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ that would defeat the non searchable feature.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I imagine there is a good-reason for VIP threads to be non-searchable but it's pretty-easy to become VIP so I personally don't see the big-upside w.r.t. threads being non-searchable - I don't recall there being a big-clamoring for threads to be that discreet given that one's identity is already hidden - but maybe I'm missing something
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    Hmm, I liked the two-tab solution better. With new solution, I have to check the box and reload the page to see only VIP. It's become a decent-sized inconvenience, vs just setting up two tabs and going to the one I want. In any case, if it's possible, if we're going to keep this format, perhaps for VIP members, the "which forum to post in" dropbox should default to the VIP-only rather than Front Room
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    It appears you’ve done it already. I like how you’ve set it up - as it doesn’t require checking two spots. Thanks Founder!
  • wallanon
    5 years ago
    I didn't realize it was already done, because someone commented on this thread jyst as I logged in. I preferred two boards, but a filter will work. The only issue I had with two boards was not always knowing from inside a thread which forum a post or reply was going to.
  • dancewdcpa
    5 years ago
    Thank you Founder... the filter buttons seem pretty darn good...
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    where are the indian movers and packers?
  • orionsmith
    5 years ago
    I like the VIP in front of VIP discussions and regular with none all on one board.
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    very nice change
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I don’t mind this at all but just what I said came to pass at 6PM eastern time 11 of 25 posts were SJG reviving necrothreads
  • Lurker_X
    5 years ago
    Yeah that is the primary reason I have SJG on ignore. Overexposure. It isn't about him being offensive. His prattle is in every post. He is like some dude at the bar who absolutely must worm his way into every conversation.
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    When SJG does that now it will remind us to put on the VIP filter and hurt the non VIP posts even more than it already does
  • _Constantine_
    5 years ago
    I won’t read all of this but to say I strongly preferred the two board format. People who contribute and matter here migrated over to VIP. I forgot about the old board. Also I want to equate it to that smell of fresh electronics you get when you go into a Bestbuy. I was a lot more apt to be on my best behavior because the new board streamlined useful conversation and looked nice and clutter free It was a streamlined setup and everything from the keystrokes to the buttons and load times ran smoother via the old format both on my iPhone X and IPad Pro
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    Now that I see it, I preferred the two boards for quick, easy scanning. If we’re going to keep it this way, Founder, can you add a check box for front room discussions only? So that even if I’m logged in as a VIP I will only see front room threads?
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I like the new format.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    BTW, there is a checkbox for VIP only discussions dumbass.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ He wants a check box rot the parking lot. ;)
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    Yeah, a parking lot check box would be good
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    What about a second account without VIP access?
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    I don’t have any desire to post under multiple accounts
  • Huntsman
    5 years ago
    I like the new look. I mostly read the VIP discussions but it’s not too much of a problem to scroll past front room noise. Some of the front room stuff is a decent read and I pretty much click on a topic based on who posted it and scroll past other topics based on who posted. As to VIP topics, I can quickly see that it’s VIP and try to read almost all of those if I have time.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    @founder can you set up a custom layout for every member? That seems to be the only way to stop the crying.
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    Please make the default font size 72 for flagooner
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ maybe flagooner’s aide will read to him ;)
  • BoringLoser
    5 years ago
    Sorry flagooner, “font size” means how big the text is
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Fuck you
  • _Constantine_
    5 years ago
    Change it back bruh the last one was this site in legacy mode.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    If so, where does checking 2 boards dance? And how much does she charge?
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    founder, I was a bit skeptical at first, but it sort of grew on me. 'Tis OK.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I still sometimes find myself thinking "let me see what's on the other board" - LOL
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion