tuscl

New lack of bumping feature

Anyone notice this yet?

If you make another comment, right below your own, the thread will not get bumped, and nobody will even be able to see that it got posted in more recently. (Unless they click on the thread)

When scrolling through discussions, it will only be your first post that shows up as a “last comment.”

That’s a pretty brilliant move on founder’s part.

43 comments

• GeneraI
    6 years ago
    Easy fix, we just all need 16 different troll accounts to bump with.

It is a good idea though, good catch noticing that.
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    Wow that is totally amazingly awesome!

Brilliant compromise between allowing older threads to be bumped and not letting SJG use the forum as his personal thoughs diary.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    That is a great idea.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    That is a great idea.
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    “Brilliant compromise between allowing older threads to be bumped and not letting SJG use the forum as his personal thoughs diary.”

I just checked. You still can’t bump old threads either.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    If they could only allow SJG’s discussions to post in an invisible font color..

I just noticed the lack of bumping. That’s a cool feature.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I just messaged founder about this I was waiting on his response before posting.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    Who is SJG? I haven’t seen one of his posts since Founder added the ignore button.
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Bump
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Bump
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    My head hurts
  • GeneraI
    6 years ago
    It also doesn't show you the last person to post if that person is on your ignore list. I assume it keeps it ordered in your view by the last non ignored person.
  • GeneraI
    6 years ago
    Never mind, I was looking at it wrong on my phone, ignored people do still show on as the last to comment.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    How long until Sanjosedouche starts to complain about it with new threads.

Good job Founder on this one.
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Smash that bump button!
  • wallanon
    6 years ago
    It looks like it does not bump for a thread that someone made and last commented on, even if someone else had posted in between. Not sure how that's going to work for ongoing discussions.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    It would be enjoyable to just read SJG’s complaints. Seeing him frustrated seems reasonable turnabout considering all the drivel he posts here!

He should have his own area to post - so it will be easier for everyone else to avoid.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    This actually is a brilliant idea in regards to SJG's threads. If he's the only one posting in there, then at least the thread stays open so he's satisfied. And it stays off the front page of discussions so all of us who don't care to see those threads don't have to.

Of course, now we'll have to wait and see if he just creates a few troll accounts to talk to himself and have the threads bumped anyway.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    Nah, looks like something's just wrong with the site right now. Nothing is bumping. It's only showing threads in order of when they were opened, not last comment. Even if you click on the option to order the threads by most recent comments, it's not working.
  • founder
    6 years ago
    It's a bug. It will get fixed later today

• ime
    6 years ago
    Can you code up a rule to stop SJG bumping his own threads from pushing them to the top. Shit I will code it for you.
  • stripfighter
    6 years ago
    lack of bumping?? The whole point of this site IS bumping... uglies that is ;)
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    A system where only posts from different users will bump a thread to the top would work really well. So a second post in a row from the same user doesn't bump a thread to the top.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    This bug sucks. I always use the sort by last comment option.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I thought it was a nice change - to stop the bumping of years old discussions.

Are discussions only sorted by the date of the original post now? The sort by date of last comment isn’t useful any more.
  • DeclineToState
    6 years ago
    Funny that a bug founder intends to fix is lauded as brilliant, awesome, great, cool, etc. founder Midas shits gold. MackTruck and crazyjoe are envious.
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    I just tried it again. It looks like it has been fixed.

I still thought it was a good idea though. At least when it comes to if one was the last to comment.

But otherwise, bumping could still be allowed if one is the OP or previously posted.

Just an idea?
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    The default for new people (or no cookies) is "Sort discussions by * Date Published" instead of "Sort discussions by * Last Comment" We all seem to (or most of us) use and switch over to the latter. New members would see the former, by default.

Founder has already said he likes new discussion threads because they are more topical, despite what SJG counterclaims.

Nicespice, the problem with not allowing threads to bump for the same (re-)poster is that anyone can just create a second Tuscl account to bump a thread then. FWIW, I do tend to agree with your suggestion though. But technically, would it work when someone can just register an unlimited number of duplicate accounts?
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    This is true. But constantly switching aliases is still a hassle. Every once in a while, somebody will even slip up and post on the wrong account. xD
  • DeclineToState
    6 years ago
    ^Ya, some double alias guy using the names SebastianCobb and John_Longwood did that a few months ago. I assume there's others who've slipped up as well.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    I think everything is back to normal now.

Everytime someone uses google to find TUSCL, and then clicks on a thread, Google records that. That all gives TUSCL a higher rating, drawing more people to it.

Having lots and lots of threads also helps. But we have that already. Some people start a new thread every day.

But having some long running threads will help too, and probably more.

Broader topical range also helps to get more posts.

SJG
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    Founder can you unfix this bug?
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^ You can sort by date posted, not date of last comment.

I always start out that way, looking to see what new threads there are.

SJG
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Smashing that like button
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    This begs the question, why would one have back to back comments?
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    That’s not what “begging the question” means. :)

But, to *answer* your question, I’ve done it on occasion when I’ve forgotten to make some point or include some information in the previous one.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ But that doesn't generally happen days or even hours later. Usually it is within seconds or a few minutes which doesn't really bump the thread.
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    ^^ True dat.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    gmd,
    More then one place here one is warned if you are sure you wish to post. I would think that includes knowing your thoughts are complete. Just sayin'.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    gmd,
    Get my drift? :)
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    LOL!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion