tuscl

Getting Rid of Mid-Day Sluggishness

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I guess I’m not 30 anymore but I’ve noticed I’m usually exhausted by 3:30 regardless of how calm or wild my day was.

Any of you guys do anything to alleviate this? I don’t drink coffee and no I’m not going to chug a Red Bull.

38 comments

• PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    How active of a lifestyle do you have? Overweight?
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    Getting enough sleep?
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I am not overweight, I walk at least 5 miles just throughout the normal corse of my day, and exercise usually 3-4 times a week, so I have an active lifestyle.

No medications, (used to take vitamins but none right now), do not smoke and go weeks without even having a drink. I do drink a decent amount of Diet Coke, maybe the equivalent of 2-3 cans on an average day.

Probably not getting enough sleep, sometimes I have trouble sleeping as well.
  • eyeofodin
    6 years ago
    Get your vitamin D level checked..... or see if you have low T
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    This seems like a non-wiseass question from shailynn. Jesus... you must be tired.
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    This sounds kinda hippieish, but a put small drop of eucalyptus essential oil on both your wrists, rub it together, and then do a nice inhale of the scent.

I used to have a yoga instructor who made the class do that before every session and it made a huge psychological difference.
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    Oh and if sleep issues, melatonin or some strains of weed.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    So, my non-snarky answer you've already disqualified. I was going to suggest a short walk around 2:00 pm. That's what I do and it helps.

Other factors...

If you have a highly stressful job, then work on that (easier said than done...). That's something else I do directly relating to stress.

Cut as much shitty food out of your diet as possible (including the Diet Coke).

See if changing the times that you eat improves things. I can't do big lunches anymore. They knock me out.

Get a bunch of blood work done. Just in case it's something diagnosable and treatable.
  • Salty.Nutz
    6 years ago
    how often to you choke the chicken? Dont do it at all, unless its inside a womans mouth or vagina
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    Take a big shit. That could speed you up
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Ugh... my answer above is missing a bit of text. Regarding stress, I took up medication. I'm not into the new age religiosity of it all, but as a practice it really does work.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    Ish has good suggestions. Of those, what works for me are: Don't eat a giant meal, and especially no shit processed food, for lunch. And take an early afternoon walk or other light exercise
  • Salty.Nutz
    6 years ago
    i agree with crazyjoe, the only ejaculate thats coming out of your body is from your ass hole.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Half of you guys are retards!

Could this hurt me? I don’t eat breakfast and I eat a light lunch. In the rare event that I do have breakfast I skip lunch. I usually have lunch somewhere between 11am and 1pm and dinner around 5:30ish.

Yeah I’m guilty for eating processed foods when out on the road but always minimal. Like chik fil et nuggets and fruit or a few tacos from Taco Bell (only 160 calories each) or a McMuffin from McDonald’s and nothing else. Those are the worst lunches when I really don’t have any other options.
  • The_Dude_Abides
    6 years ago
    Get your testosterone checked. I'm 36 and recently got on TRT. Had been complaining for years about being sluggish. Got it checked, and yep I had the testosterone of a 75 year old man. Once getting back to a normal test level, it made a world of difference. Dick is rock hard all the time and I don't need to take naps anymore.
  • JuiceBox69
    6 years ago
    I usually just take an hour nap at work out in my car lol..
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    The last thing we need around here is shailynn running around with a rock hard dick
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    You’re not gonna like my suggestion, but the best piece of advice anyone can give is to get off this website and take a nap during the afternoon, even if u just shut your eyes. Or meditate..... sjg would preach it.
  • JuiceBox69
    6 years ago
    Amen
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    A nap, if possible, probably wouldn't hurt. But most jobs are not nap friendly.

Shailynn said "Could this hurt me? I don’t eat breakfast and I eat a light lunch. In the rare event that I do have breakfast I skip lunch. I usually have lunch somewhere between 11am and 1pm and dinner around 5:30ish."

Possibly. I'd try having a light breakfast *and* lunch to see how that affects things. You may not be taking in enough calories to get through the day. Especially if you're walking several miles per day via your job.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Shalynn, normally I'd say steer clear of heavy foods at lunch, but that's obviously not your problem. In fact, I'd say the opposite if you are only having one light meal during the day before dinner and skipping lunches when you eat breakfast.

Maybe your blood sugar is dropping too low by 3;30 because you are not eating enough during the day? Might help if you added some fresh fruit into your afternoon schedule, especially on days where you skip lunch.

Maybe your Diet Coke caffeine fix is wearing off by then? Maybe you could treat yourself to another one around 2;30 or so.

Have you been checked for diabetes and high blood pressure? Both are common in older men and either one could explain why you might be getting sluggish at a certain point in the day.

I am well north of 30 myself, but do not always have the luxury of getting drowsy during the day. I don't want to over-disclose, but let's just say that there were multiple factors in play and I've since taken steps to fix the issue. Now I don't get sluggish during the day anymore unless I have a very bad night or I carb up during a meal.

If you are not sleeping well at night, have you considered asking your doctor for something to help?

It might be time for you to get proactive, starting with getting some medical tests run (and medication if needed) while also making behavioral adjustments.
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    If you are having trouble sleeping at night, you could try taking a ZMA supplement within an hour of bedtime. ZMA is the combination of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6. This trio is supposed to help physically active individuals recover, and the three combined are said to be a very effective sleep aid. However, avoid consuming anything with calcium within a few hours of bedtime as it can interfere with the ability of ZMA to work.

This is based on studies I have read about ZMA and several other types of supplements over the years. I have no experience using ZMA as my diet and other supplements I take daily give me adequate dosages of the three ingredients that make ZMA. You do have to be careful that you don’t consume too much zinc as it can be potentially hazardous to your health.
  • whodey
    6 years ago
    I can't belliece no one has mentioned a midday BJ to get the blood flowing. If you don't work close enough to a club for that to be possible during lunch, plan a trip to the club for after work so you have something to look forward to in order to keep you energetic all afternoon.

For a more serious answer, when I had this problem my doctor recommended some melatonin at bedtime to help get a more regenerative night of sleep. I don't necessarily get more sleep (avg about 6 hrs/night) but according to the sleep tracker on my fitbit I spend more of the night in "deep sleep" on the nights I take it and I can feel the difference the next day.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    You already touched on diet, which would have been my first thought.

You don't drink coffee or I would suggest drinking a cup in the afternoon.

I'd stop skipping lunch.
  • Smalltowncpl
    6 years ago
    A high energy snack could help. A piece of chocolate. Not much. Vitamin B12 will give you a good pick me up.
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    Some good suggestions on here. Agree with Rick to have blood sugar, blood pressure Etc checked. The other thing nobody else mentioned was to have a sleep study done to be sure that you're not snoring and suffering from sleep apnea.
  • SanchoRG
    6 years ago
    I know you don’t drink coffee but I’d try picking it up. I never drank it until a couple years ago and even now don’t truly like the taste but damn it’s effective! Black coffee is pretty healthy too
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    Start work at noon. Then you can go til 5 easy.
  • pistola
    6 years ago
    Real answer: a couple sips of 5 hr energy. Don't drink the bottle or it will keep you up but a fourth to a third will gives me a clean 3 hours with no crash.
  • Array
    6 years ago
    I was fortunate when working to have an office with a door. At lunchtime I’d close the door, lock it and take a 10-20 minute nap. That’s all it took to make a world of difference in my afternoon productivity.
  • two_bits
    6 years ago
    I would check with flagooner. I believe 3:30 pm is when he has his second nap of the day.
  • loper
    6 years ago
    just take a nap. No shame in that. Some cultures have it built-in.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Toss off during your lunch break. That's my advice whether you are sluggish or not.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    Sounds a lot like the problems I have with my caffeine addiction.

I grind my own coffee and use a french press. Coffee is delicious, but estimate that I consume something like 300mg of caffeine per day. It's a wonderful pick up in the morning, but it slams the shit out of me in the late afternoon. Prevents me from sleeping and the cycle is even worse the next day. What's worse, the lack of sleep has a direct affect on sexual health and it's well-proven that testosterone is produced during deep sleep.

I mention all this because 3 cans of diet coke has about 150mg of caffeine, which might be capable of causing the same adverse cycle (although less severe than mine).

You could experiment by cutting out all diet coke for several days to see if it resets your system. A moderate amount of caffeine is okay, but becomes a problem if it prevents you from sleeping or causes massive fatigue in the afternoon.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Hey all, thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. I had a health check up (blood work, etc.) about 8 months ago and everything came back fine, my blood pressure was a tad higher than normal but everything else was fine. Doc said nothing to worry about.

I think I will try adding some fruit into my daily food and cutting back on the Diet Coke. I would like to totally eliminate the Diet Coke but I think that's impossible for me. I don't think my testosterone is an issue because I can easily get a hard on with a slight breeze.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    I have been on Keto under 20g carbs per day, and intermittent fasting where i only eat between 1 and 8pm. My energy is great, no crashing and workouts still good, but had to adjust a little. I try to do 1 24hr fast a week eat lunch and then no food til lunch the next day and it's easy to do, crazy benefits, feel super sharp wake up feeling great. I dont miss carbs at all but i do miss beer. If i have a drink its a couple bourbons then just take some exogenous ketones after and in the morning.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    I am convinced 5 hr energy is a scam. I never drank coffeee and dont drink mire than one soda a day if i have one. Got a 5hr energy a couple times when getting tired on a long drive and they didnt do anything. Another time i tried A 5 hr energy and diet mtn dew (the nectar of the tards) and i was wired.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    Seriously, asking here is fine, you may have already picked up a few tips that can help you but the best thing is to talk with a real doctor, not one that prescribes a pill for every ailment and get some blood work done. A blood test will tell you more than any pseudo experts here can.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion