tuscl

Help someone write a better review

founder
slip a dollar in her g-string for me
I don't normally do this, but I think we can have a constructive discussion regarding what make a "good" review.

I got the following email in response to a review being rejected.

--- begin response ----
Is the "write a review and become VIP" bull shit?  I wrote, re-wrote and re-wrote a review and I keep getting told I have not written enough?  I've been offering P2P reviews for 12 years on TER, TNA, GFEClub, BestGfe and Big Doggie.  Do you keep rejecting reviews to encourage people to pay the subscription fee?  If so, why not just say that rather than pissing people off who then bad mouth your site and therefore lose a lot of future business?

--- end response ---

---- review in question ---
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM

We're sorry, but your review of 19th Hole Lounge was not published for the following reason:

Review too short / Not enough details

Text of Review: 

Place was smokey as fuck which makes it hard to stay too long. However I saw a tall black chick with amazing knockers and I took her for a spin in the couch room... wow I feel great now! She let me have at those melons and I sucked and squeezed those babies till my dick nearly ripped through my pants! She brushed the front of my trousers and I popped a nut in my shorts! WTF

--- end of review in question ---

I'd like to hear the community's thoughts on this review. I hope this discussion will help contributors write better reviews.

62 comments

• galiziabob.sabbatical
    6 years ago
    Thank you for rejecting that review. You as the founder have to set standards and this review is substandard. The guy needs to give more detail and speak with better sentence structure.
  • shanny72
    6 years ago
    Review too short / Not enough details

I think some people are experts at recounting their experiences such as the great Papi Chulo, but most of us are not as detailed.

If the club is not often reviewed, I like to know the layout.

Things I want to know are parking fee, cover fee, mandatory drink price if any, and how many girls on a shift.

Then I want to know the overall quality of the girls looks followed by the pricing structure for dances and vips.

Finally, is more fun available than just dances and at what rate.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Obviously the review was auto rejected by your computer for being too short. I know you don't have time to read them all any more. Aside from that, the review was nothing more than a personal experience at that club. It was not a review of the club. It appears that the reviewer is more interested in getting VIP credit than providing any useful information. I was not impressed by his list of other sites that he was submitted reviews for. This guy is a loser.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    My suggestion would be to end the practice of giving away a membership for writing a Review.
  • shanny72
    6 years ago
    A good thought Warrior but it actually encourages / reminds me to write reviews..
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    I've always wonder what it would take for a review to actually get rejected around here. I guess now we know. ;)

Founder, I've always felt that you've been quite lenient regarding generic review. With that said, IMHO there is no arguing that this review is far too generic. He could have dropped this into a review window for any club that allows smoking, has a couch room and a few black dancers.

I think you posted something once that outlines your thoughts for a good review. Perhaps it would be helpful if you linked it somewhere near the window pane for each new review.

Now I might not find everything on that list to be as meaningful as some. For example, unless there is something very unusual, I don't generally care about decor or how the deck chairs are arranged. But it was an overall good guide. Further, even if his visit had been a short one, he could have at least discussed things like whether or not [and how much] he paid to get in, what the girl wanted for her efforts and at least a couple of other details regarding the state of affairs in the club during his time there. This review was crap with nothing useful.

To me, it is a cardinal sin for anyone who pays a cover, buys a drink and pays for a dance not to be able to share basic prices. It's understandable if they don't want to disclose what they paid for extras, but at least provide basic pricing intel as it matters a great deal from a preparation and potential value standpoint. I grit my teeth every time I see some BS "the price was standard for the area" comment, which makes the entire review suspect as it is one of the few pieces of information that are very hard to fake.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    No disrespect founder but garbage reviews get posted all the time. If a review was rejected it was probably good reason, since the bar is so low for the review to be posted.

Do you or emily skim the reviews before they get approved or is there some sort of automated system?
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Actually, the review guidelines ARE linked close by. I guess the new reviewer didn't bother to read them.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    I recommend all new reviewers enroll in Professor P. Chulo’s Stripclub Reviews 101. This 12 week online course teaches the basics of stripclub reviewing, and is the prerequisite for Dr. Chulo’s Advanced Stripclub Reviews 203.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    That particular review is trash. It deserved to be rejected.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    That isn’t an actual review of the club.

It mentions the club is smoky - but that’s the extent of club info.

It provides a quick account of how the customer enjoyed a dancer - and it’s a bit witty.

But it doesn’t provide enough club detail to sway a potential customer to visit (or to know enough to stay away).

This is more of a mildly amusing story about an LDK. It might be a discussion topic - but it’s not a club review.
  • a21985
    6 years ago
    Bahahahahaha
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    All I got from that was the club is smoky the rest was about some black girl could have been any girl anyplace, nothing about the club at all I’d give him a failing grade.
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    That “review” does not really read like a review at all. It reads more like a lame attempt to earn VIP status when they might not have actually went to that club.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    The reviewer does not know how to write. It's depressing that so many high school and even college graduates can't put together a simple sentence. It is hard to believe that this reviewer re-wrote the review several times. Review guidelines and a sample of a good review might help people to write better reviews. But I would not count on it.
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    One of the things that I dislike about reviews that do go through are the obvious ads. I wouldn't mind if users could self-police reviews if they are sub-par or obviously advertisements for the club. I don't like how these advertisements affect the club scores either.

Also, in writing my reviews, I always felt 1-month VIP isn't enough.
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    I think the standards for reviews needs to be elevated. I've read too many reviews that read like a "give me VIP" short paragraph. I also think that that it wouldn't hurt to have a template embedded into the text. I've created my own template that I am currently using as of March 28 (and will be editing over time).

Aside from that, we need a restriction on when you can write another review for the same SC. If I wanted to, I could really damage a SC's score here on TUSCL. I think we should also look into an ABC-system of rating. I think you're a bit limited with a 1-10-system of rating
  • Jswgr
    6 years ago
    I will say as a new member I did appreciate the pathway to VIP by doing a review. I was able to check out the site and decide if it was something I want to invest in. That being said the review was not up to par and deserved to be rejected. And yes Shanny, Papi is the gold standard.
  • dancewdcpa
    6 years ago
    Glad it was rejected. With the exception of a non-smoking club, this "review" could be applied to just about any club on here....useless really.
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    I think you could ban that user who sent that PM to you. What a disrespectful comment to make
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    ^yes very disrespectful. Not sure he should banned though. Maybe put in time out?
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    Whoops. I meant "band".
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    One solution would be to offer longer VIP membership to long reviews and really short membership (5 days) to short reviews. That would eliminate the conflict from people angry they have to rewrite a review.

Next I would recommend moving the review guidelines to another separate page. Then you can go into more detail and spread the existing text out making it more readable. It would also be good to post a link to a few example reviews. I know Papis are excellent and I know my most recent review was very detailed and would be a good example:
    https://www.tuscl.net/profile-reviews.ph…

Instead of listing what each paragraph should contain it might be better to just list a bunch of example questions the reviewer could answer. And then state that a good review should answer at least half of those questions.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    +1 to lolruned's point of reviewing the same club over and over. Just like he said, he could really damage the reputation of one club with negative scores. The adverse effect is someone could also boost the score of a club falsly.

Case in point, mdb2203. He reviews Pure Gold in Rancho Cordova every single month. The only bit of information of value in each review is the names of new girls. The rest of his review reads like a club ad every single time. Then he scores the club all 10s, every single time. He alone has boosted Pure Gold into top 40 status in the country, when it's probably not even top 40 in California alone.

As for a decent review, this is the info I care about: Is parking easy, or is it a pain to find a spot? Was your visit during dayshift or nightshift? Cover price, drink prices, dance/VIP prices. Where do the normal dances take place, on the floor or in a separate area? What about the VIP, is it a communal room or is it one on one private rooms? What were the ethnicities of the women you saw? Were they mostly spinners, average, or thick/BBW? Were the dances air dances, one way or two way (high) contact? Mention if there's a tip parade.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure there's more.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    "Instead of listing what each paragraph should contain it might be better to just list a bunch of example questions the reviewer could answer. And then state that a good review should answer at least half of those questions."

Good idea. At a minimum most reviews should include:

Prices
    Mileage
    Types of dancers
    How many dancers
    Ambience(upscale or dive)
    Clientele(white collar/blue collar, young/old)

Those would be most important. Layout is less important but anything else would be welcome as well.
  • grand1511
    6 years ago
    That review had more of a Wal-Mart Penthouse Letters feel to it! Is there a word count/character count that has to be surpassed for a review to go through? Would it be worth noting that actual count? I know there are some online comment sections that give you a word count (usually words remaining to keep comments shorter) as you're typing in the content. Could there be a reverse version of that to let people know they have enough review quantity?

As far as review quality goes, that's where the comments and trusts functions can have their influence. I would hope there wouldn't be a review proctor grading the content that goes into a review. Way too subjective.
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    "As far as review quality goes, that's where the comments and trusts functions can have their influence. I would hope there wouldn't be a review proctor grading the content that goes into a review. Way too subjective."

I don't think founder has the kind of time to assess each and every review as reaching a certain standard (whatever that standard is). I don't see anything wrong with this, though. There are TA's in college and their grading can be subjective. If we are in serious talks of increasing the standard of reviews (which I believe we are), then I would have no objection to having a small team of review moderators to help founder
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    TUSCL reviews kinda work "on the honor system" - human nature tells us many will abuse the honor system when there is something to be gained by it (free VIP).

The combination of free VIP, w/ not being able to verify most of the reviews prior to posting, makes it to easy for people to milk the system (an almost encourages it) - i.e. seems many reviewers write a review not b/c they wanna write a review and give info, but just b/c they want free VIP, and will thus often give the minimal effort (the equivalent of writing a 5-minute review on their smartphone while they are using the toilet).

I can understand the pros of free VIP, but w/o being able to verify most reviews I don't see a way to stop crappy reviews from being posted.

The current guidelines are a bit to loose/generic - not sure if making the review submittal process more structured (more hand-holding) is overkill or not.

As has been suggested above, perhaps having a template w/ a text-box for each area of interest (w/ the caveat that we may not all agree what's necessary/important in a review) - but perhaps a template where the reviewer needs to input text w.r.t.:

+ arrival time (an 8 pm visit can be very different from a midnight visit)

+ parking situation (free, paid, small, large, difficult, etc)

+ cover charge

+ layout (at least describe if it's a dive, midtier, upscale, small, large, seating availability; paid vs free seating)

+ dances (floor dances , separate dance-area, VIP - privacy of dance area - price of different dances)

+ dancer makeup (approx how many; young, old, or a mix; ethnic makeup, body types (slim, big-girls, mix)

+ dance mileage allowed by club (air-dance; one-way; 2-way) - probably best to leave out extras in today's climate
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    "then I would have no objection to having a small team of review moderators to help founder"

Agreed. Only thing is there would be some that would reject "club ads" or "shill" reviews too frequently if they are on a power trip.
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    ^^^^, good one, Papi. I've been here a long time, and we've all seen good reviews as well as club ads and poor reviews like the one at the start of this thread. I don't club as much as I used to, but I've always based club visits on the road on reviews posted here. Pensacola FL was a good example. The clubs there rip off the Navy service people and I chose one place to check out the scene, outrageous dance prices and I only got some when they did a 2 for 1.
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    Pathetic review that took almost no effort. It has no practical slur and therefore a
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    It has no practical value and is for all intents and purposes worthless.
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    Looks like the review in question did get published with just a few added sentences to meet the minimum length requirement.

https://www.tuscl.net/rev.php?id=328118&…
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    ^that is 100% useless. People will continue to post garbage as long as free vip is a thing. Only solution is get rid of free vip, or human approval(review mods) before reviews get published. Increasing the minimum characters needed would only lead to more "copy, paste a few sentences" jackasses or plagerized reviews, both of which are marginally worse than "generic, free vip" reviews.
  • stripfighter
    6 years ago
    So this putz re-wrote it multiple times, and it's still a piece of shit...

As crappy as it is, I don't find them completely useless. It does give some info on the types who frequent these clubs.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    chess posted: --->"Only solution is get rid of free vip, or human approval(review mods) before reviews get published."

Eliminating free VIP for reviews would substantially reduce the number of them, which are the bread and butter of this site. I doubt that this is a realistic option.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @Dugan

You would not write reviews if you didn't get free VIP?
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    Again I don't think you need to remove free VIP just make it free VIP for a week for short reviews.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^ I would suspect Ricky Boy isn’t the only one but the VIPs are how founder drives traffic to this site my bet is they don’t really make a lot of money for him rather give him more eyeballs which increase advertising revenues.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    @TFP

I had a review of mdb's club rejected. Then again, it was a fake review that I wrote just for fun
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Papi, I probably would, but we need more than just a small subset of hard core club junkies who enjoy sharing to populate a site like this.
  • PutaTester
    6 years ago
    Wow, the whole range has been covered.
    I would write fewer reviews if I were not rewarded in some way, such as getting a month of VIP.
    That said, the bar is set very low and I would not mind seeing the quality of the reviews improved.
    Not everyone can be Hemingway, but it should be as comprehensive as a high school book report.

Finally, it takes a lot of brass to write a useless, crap review and then complain about it not being published.
    How tough is it to ask yourself, "What would I want to learn from a review?" and read a few reviews to get an idea of what is expected. Or RFG -- Read the Fkng Guidelines.
  • rogertex
    6 years ago
    It's just a short memoir with a "tall black chick with amazing knockers"
    Not a review.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I will admit that I've seen worse get posted.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    I typically write long reviews, but every review can’t be perfect. They just have to provide some minimum level of value. I wouldn’t write reviews if not for the VIP. I like the variety and freewheeling nature of different writers style. If we all wrote the same way you’d get bored very quickly. I don’t think the system is broke. I’m willing to accept a crappy review or shill review from time to time in exchange for the other good info that’s posted. The trust system needs some work, but the comments are fantastic. Whenever a poor review is posted by a new user it can be dealt with quickly by board veterans. There’s some value in self policing.
  • EastCoaster
    6 years ago
    I agree with everything Jimmy McNulty said. I, too, would not write reviews if not for the VIP. I love to write, I try to include a lot of details in my reviews, and I get a lot of positive comments on them. (Most appreciated was when shadowcat said of one of my reviews from last fall, "Great review. It's what Founder means when he says to convince someone to go or not go.")

Yes, I get annoyed when I write long, informative reviews and then someone else gets VIP credit for a few sentences or a worthless Letters-to-Penthouse-style recollection of an experience from five years ago, but I just move on. Jimmy McN is right that the comments are fantastic. It's a good way to call out the shills and morons -- or reward people for a well-done review.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    A review should be written for the benefit and use of the intended reader.

It should not be the world's shortest Penthouse Forum letter.
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    I think one of the things that makes this site great is that it is unmoderated. If people write a short our shitty (or both) review, use the comments section to call them out so others who see the review won't give it credence.

Many of the other solutions, while it would be nice to do are probably unrealistic for founder. People don't read directions no matter how prevalent you put them on a page. The ability to write in coherent sentences has also been lost on a good portion of the population. This is a community where natural selection prevails. The weak will fall by the waste side. If you don't meet the standard, this community will let you know.

The review posted was weak and needs to be called out.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    It hurts when I read anything posted by someone with an IQ of 14. Didn't read the comments, but only allow VIP membership based on a full review, with detail and not decor detail, or bitching about the valet.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Part of the issue here possibly is due to the guy’s success in posting his reviews on other sites. He’s been able to post on other sites - that don’t have the same review standards - as this site has.

I find it amusing how he mentions his resume of other sex sites that have posted his reviews. It’s like somebody referring to their review on RoseButtBoard - of a DirtyGardenGirl video where she fucks herself with a horse speculum. Not that I’d ever do something so perverse!
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    I think others have covered what makes a review viable, but I'll repeat anyway.

Required:
    - Day/Time; A lot of clubs have drastically different vibes at different times
    - Parking; Is it on site, what's it cost, anything else interesting
    - Cover; How much, do they scan ID's, is there a pat down, a line, a hot ass chick or a grumpy douchy dude
    - Club; How big, how full, anything remarkable about the seating arrangement or stage setup, is it all tables or or bars, is there a tip rail, what are the drink prices like & hows the service
    - Dances; How much, what type, where are they done, some commentary about mileage
    - Dancers; How many, what type, some commentary about anything remarkable. Specifics about one dancer are less useful than generalizations.

Useful:
    - Location/Area; Anything outstanding about it, is it a shopping center with other popular businesses? Would a typical person feel unsafe?
    - Comparables; How does this place stack up against the other clubs nearby, especially in any of the above areas. Also, is there a reason to go here or avoid going here versus another nearby option, something this place does well.

As far as filtering shitty reviews or encouraging good ones, I'd like to see that be a community effort. Post reviews immediately with a scoring system. A simple Good/Bad or a score from -5 to +5 with only logged in users able to vote. No VIP credit is given initially, but if a review gets positive votes/score it gets VIP time. If it gets negative votes no credit is earned. If its bad enough you can pull it for manual review and potential deletion. Depending on how much work you want to put in on it, you could vary the amount of VIP credit with score. You could also add a sort option based on score, if you could find a good way to combine score and recentness that might be ideal. Meaning a week old review with 10 votes would still sort ahead of a year old review with 25. The same idea could be applied to ratings, reviews with high scores could weigh more in the ratings & again factoring in age would be ideal.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    It is founder's site and he can do whatever he wants. I just appreciate that he puts the topic up for discussion.

《damn that gag reflex》
    6 years ago
    I read reviews almost exclusively to gauge one club over another when I’m traveling. I already know my local clubs and where I’m going to spend time there, but on the road I might only have one small block of time to devote to the cause, so I don’t want to waste it doing research.

Hours, how busy at what time, prices and general ambiance as well as details on what’s available are all very important to me. Most of the guidelines listed above are right on target.

One of the things not mentioned much above yet is punctuation, spelling and capitalization. If you can’t write English sentences I don’t want to try and read the review of a moron. I know the internet has pretty low writing skill standards but at least try and show you have an IQ greater than your age. It gives your review a lot more credibility.

One other thing I’ll mention is that current artificial intelligence engines could do a pretty adequate job of parsing reviews to a minimum standard that is so much more than just “how many words or characters”.
  • Estafador
    6 years ago
    The review is bad. It just tells of one girl and his personal"conquest" with her alone. One girl does not equate the entirety of a club standard.

I like but worry of the peer review style of review approval. People who frequent the site regularly can tell exactly what makes a quality review and determine in their personal experience that may different from founder's whether the review is good or nah. On the down side, sometimes everyone may not all agree what in the review is worth posting becoming internet English teachers. Also some people who are VIP probably suck as a writer themselves or else they wouldn't have bought a lifetime VIP. And some clubs may get so little attention, it'll never get looked at and nothing will ever come of the review in question. And let's be honest; who writes more reviews: the free VIP guy or the paid VIP member? After all he paid for membership so he DOESN'T have to write reviews to view others.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Estafador you seem to be making a lot of assumptions that are based on your own biases, why don’t you calm down and see how it goes before being so negative and I might even add a little paranoid.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @Estafador

I think VIP is anyone that has VIP either thru paying for it or having written a current review(s).

BTW, I have a paid lifetime VIP from when I first joined TUSCL b/c originally it was not my intention to write any reviews nor really participate on TUSCL.
  • datinman
    6 years ago
    How do you get a paid lifetime VIP? I have only seen options for $50 annual auto-renewing using my credit card. I would definitely be interested in a one time payment using a prepaid card.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ I got my lifetime VIP 6 years ago when I joined TUSCL (it was $79 at the time) - looks like that option is no longer available
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    I’m tired of reviews where the reviewer describes having a good time, but then whines at the end that the place isn’t as good as it used to be, or as some other place that shut down. It’s like gamma taught a class on grumpy whiney reviews.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    So I vote yes to publish a review and then checked and it was not on either list. What likely happened to it?
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Which review was it?
  • founder
    6 years ago
    Shadow... Once you vote on a review it gets removed from your list. It may or may not be done being voted on.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion