tuscl

Off topic. Anyone know the best way to confirm and sell a painting that might b

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:18 PM
I looked up a painting I have and saw similar ones were worth about $2000 or $2500. Anyone know how you go about confirming the value and selling it?

22 comments

• ppwh
    7 years ago
    Out of the back of a van: Pssst, hey buddy, I got a Rembrandt someone left after an art show in our gallery. The assholes didn't make their final payment and we need the money to get ready for the next exhibit. It's probably worth at least 800 grand, but I'll give it to you for $2000.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Have you asked the dancers at the club?
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    I would Google for "art appraisal advice" and read up, before accepting the ramblings of mongers on this subject
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    Is the painting a nude? Can you post a picture so we can see the tits?
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    Thanks lurker. I was hoping one answer wouldn't be a joke.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    FYI - Juice is our in-house art-appraiser - he's currently in Milan so you may have to wait a bit for him to help you out
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    Not a nude, some British painter showing a scene from the 1800's. Apparently the painter was famous but not that famous. I should probably look up 2 other paintings I have but doubt they are worth that much. I was surprised to see the one might be worth something. I wouldn't have even looked up one painting but was thinking, I'd hate to think I had a valuable parting just sitting in my house for 20 years and never knew it was worth a fortune.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    It's not a painting of your penis is it? If so I don't think you'll get $2k for it but anything is possible.
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    That one painting might be worth 66 two for one dances. That's a good amount.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    There are fan forums for everything. Find one for this artist or a category of art in which he exists. Post the question there.
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    Craigslist
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Pawn Stars is who you sjlumd have look at it. Turn on History Channel and ask fir Chumlee or Rick if you decide to go to Vegas for their appraisal and offering price. With any luck we will see you on tv.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    JUICE!!!!!! You can't buy paintings on the same website that you get your $40 hookers from!!!!!!
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    Serious answer: I doubt you'll get any real money without the provenance. If you had the provenance you'd have a rough idea of its values without asking random weirdos on a strip club site. However, of the advice I believe to be most useful is Lurker_X's Less serious but potentially brilliant answer: Contract with the "juicebox69 and crazyjoe art appraisal and bait shop". I hear that you get a free bucket of night crawlers with every art appraisal. If crazyjoe has diarrhea he may shit on a canvas and tell you it's a Pollack!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Yes, use Google to find references. Also, call the curator at the nearest decent art museum and see if they recommend anyone. You could also stop in at a few reputable art galleries and see if they know anyone. Whoever you look at, get references and actually call them. Art appraisal and provenance has its fair share of pretenders and scammers.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    2k isn't a lot for a well done painting. I'd pay that for art I really liked.
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    All good advice for art dealers and galleries. Go to more than one since you dont have a trusted source. Dont indicate you are in any rush to sell it and its more important for you first to find out the artist and when they painted it.
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    Thanks. I have two other paintings I might want to research as well from different painters. I did a quick Google search and those might be worth a lot more than I thought, maybe. I might have to look at the back of the paintings and one I really like and didn't want to sell unless it's worth a fortune. I've had them all for many years. Good tips. I might just wait until a free art appraisal event pops up in my area. The original one I talked about is big and has glass over the top so it has some weight to it.
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    LMFAO
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Check to see if the paint is wet first before taking it in for an appraisal.
  • dynamicreno
    7 years ago
    Best place is a true art auction house . Most do give a free appraisal, some don't. If they like it, some may offer to buy, some may offer to put up for auction. Of course they have auction fees, or commissions. Best if you take painting yourself to auction house. They will let you know if it is a real deal or a copy. I went to a place in SF called Bonhams on one of their free days. I live in Reno, so it was a trek, but well worth my time. It was amazing how much true art experts know. I learned a lot about my antique Chinese Vase. They let me know wholesale value, probably what it would go for at auction. The year it was made, retail value for insurance. All in all a very worthwhile trip. I had inherited it and really knew nothing about it. Yes I did on-line research, but never got ant answers like I did at Bonhams. It was cool. Go to a art auction house near you. Will save you a lot of time. Needs to be like a Bonhams or Christie's.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    I'm willing to bet you could sell it if you put it on ebay for $50 with free delivery.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion