tuscl

OT: Sleep, What Do You Require?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
On a normal work week, I usually go to bed between 11 and 1am and get up somewhere between 6 and 8am. So on average I am in bed 5 to 7 hours a night? I'm probably lucky to actually be asleep 5 hours a night. I usually take a 30 minute nap in the evening so I am averaging 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours of total sleep a night.

My days at work are very intense and I typically exercise 3 to 5 days a week, that nap is essential.

Am I crazy for averaging that little sleep or is that normal? Side note, I do not drink coffee or any energy drinks but I probably have 1-3 diet cokes a day, not sure if I scretely crave the cafine or not, I often won't have my first Diet Coke of the day until noon or 1pm.

32 comments

• joc13
    7 years ago
    I'm between 6 and 7 a night in two 3-3.5 hour "naps". I rarely sleep more than 3-4 hours continuously.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    I drink wine, and coffee. I go to bed at about 10-11 and wake up at 6:30. So, 7.5 - 8.5. I sleep more on weekends though. I think I really need 9.
  • ButterMan
    7 years ago
    I get up at 7 on work days and usually go to bed between 12 and 1 am. I don't drink coffee but probably drink too much pop and fruit punch.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    I had some serious issues with insomnia years ago. Did all the sleep studies. I use a CPAP now for apnea most nights.

Doctor told me don't worry about the exact amount, just whether I felt rested in the morning and could make it through the day without falling asleep at unwanted times.
  • s275ironman
    7 years ago
    I think I need a solid 8. On weeknights, I usually get somewhere from 6-7. I've just recently started drinking coffee in the mornings. I got a boost from it for a couple weeks. Now it really does nothing for me. Once my body adapts, a vice like coffee is no longer effective. With coffee, I think I need to go through cycles, one week on then one week off.

One weekends, it varies greatly. I could get as little as 4-5 on a weekend night, or as much as 8-9 on a weekend night. I have no problem staying up late Friday night, but I find myself unable to sleep in Saturday morning because my body is so used to getting up early for work during the week. Sunday mornings I have no problem sleeping in.
  • NaturalSelection
    7 years ago
    I finally can sleep 5 hrs, consecutively, with deep REM, a night thanks to my cpap. I'm a new man since getting it. I sleep less today than I did 2 years and feel twice as refreshed.

So 5-6 a night, if I'm not drinking heavily, and a nice hour long nap after lunch on Sunday is about all I need.

• MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    For almost all adults, the right amount of sleep is 6-9 hours a night. When I'm really busy at work, I sometimes get by on 5.5-6 hours for a few nights in a row until my body rebels and I get sick, thus forcing me to get more sleep.

Strangely, as I get older I finding myself needing to sleep *more* to feel good. Nowadays I feel better and am healthier if I sleep 8 hours rather than 6-7.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    Sleeping is a chump's game.
  • NaturalSelection
    7 years ago
    ^^^ upvoted!
  • ime
    7 years ago
    7 is good, 8 is about perfect. Strange thing I notice is if I plan to sleep in i don't usually sleep more than 8 or 8.5 and sometimes like 7.5. I think knowing the alarm isn't going to go off and no snooze button makes for better sleep. Moral of story fuck alarm clocks.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    These days I seem to get by on 5.5 to 7.5 per night and I'm fully functional the next day.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    In bed between 10PM-1AM. up at 4 AM each day. I can survive on 4.5 hours, which is most nights, but not my preference. Some nights I only manage 3 hr and have to made it through the day, but my output suffers. The reason i am up at 4 is so I can get in my gym workout before I head to work. Mentally and health-wise, I feel the best after 6-7.5 hrs. I have a job where I'm paid to think. If I had a labor job I'd probably need 9 hrs for sure.

I limit myself to 3 caffeine drinks (coffee or tea or energy drink) in the morning, and none after 12 noon. If I need more pickup I drink coffee otherwise its tea. I'm if falling asleep (at the wheel or at the keyboard) or if I need a jolt I sip an energy drink. Either two 8oz. or one 16 oz.

I don't drink pop but I do drink alcohol. Prob 14 drinks a week.

If I work 2 jobs, I slowly sip a 16 oz Rockstar or red bull or NOS energy drink over the 2nd 8 hr shift. The seems normal with people on 2 jobs who don't smoke cigarettes (I don't smoke either).
  • Mainster
    7 years ago
    I can function on six hours, thrive on seven, and generally wake up way before I get more than seven and a half, at least during the week. On weekends I may crash hard for nine or ten. 16-20 ounces of coffee early in the morning, little or no caffeine thereafter, and mostly because I just really like coffee more than need it.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    I'm going through a rough time with my sleep right now. I suffer from BPH and I usually have to get up to piss every 90-120 minutes. I saw a new urologist and had a cystoscope last Wednesday. He now has me on new meds. The problem is that it could take up to 3 months for them to start working effectively. The goal would be to get it down to 1 or 2 piss calls a night. So I probably get 5-6 hours of broken sleep a night plus naps after lunch or dinner unless I am at a strip club. :)
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    I don't have to pee, but I've always woken up a lot. I used to get weird night mares and I'd wake up with the light on (I'd turned it on) searching the bed for spiders lol. Sometimes I wake up and realize that I've been staring at something in my room, and trying to figure out what it is. Maybe that's why I like 9 hours, if I can get it.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Not enough, usually asleep by about 1AM awake by 5-6 AM, but I am rarely tired, and I don't have those old man piss wake-ups, thank god.
  • mjx01
    7 years ago
    typically I only get 6 hrs... but feel better on 7-8 hrs
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    Shailynn - I'm about the same as you in all fronts. I'm usually up late and when I get up depends on if I have to take the kids to school.

So it varies during the week. I'll take a nap on the weekends to make up for anything my body didn't get during the week.
  • LecherousMonk
    7 years ago
    I sleep for 10-12 hours at a time. 14 is not unheard of. Can't imagine functioning on fewer than eight.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    I need 8 hours solid.

I don't always get that, but that's what I need.
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    10-12
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    ^^^ 10-12 what? Minutes?
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    5 hours minimum, I prefer more. When I worked, I worked so much, I never got more than 6 hours.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    6-7 hrs
  • whodey
    7 years ago
    I've suffered from insomnia since I was 12 so my body has gotten used to functioning with minimal sleep. It came in very handy during high school and college. Still pretty helpful when deadlines are closing in.

I usually get in bed by 11 and have all electronics turned off before midnight but unfortunately I don't actually fall asleep until sometime between 2-3:30 and the alarm goes off at 6:30.

According to the Fitbit I got a few months ago I average 4 hours 12 minutes per night.

As long as I get at least 2.5-3 hours in a night I'm normal. I can usually go as long as 2 nights in a row without significant performance deficiencies. If I go 3 nights straight I can still get by at work but don't feel safe enough to drive.

The only other thing that really gets to me is if I go more than a week straight under 4 hours per night.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    I need 7 to function and aim for 8. Given the opportunity I can do 9 no problem. A few years ago I could do 5 or 6 and be ready to go.
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    5 hours minimum, usually 6 hour a night, 7 or 8 hours for a day or two a week keeps my tank full. I work 40-50 hours a week full time since my job has stabilized and no major business expansions right now demanding lots of extra time. The side effect of that downtime is finding myself seeing gf's about 2 times per week and maybe a sc. Sleep just gets in the way and life is short...
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Whodey, the thing about electronics is that they can keep us awake even if we have too much of it during the day, let alone late at night before getting ready to sleep.

I've dropped drastically the hours I spend with screens(phone/TV/computer) and noticed I'm consistently getting 7 hours straight zzz's, where as before I would struggle to get 5 hours of undisturbed sleep.
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    10-12 hours lol...I cherish my sleep time
  • mjx01
    7 years ago
    Excellent point by meat. I actually have been getting more sleep when traveling than at home because I don't my personal desktop to entertain me.
  • wildbourbon
    7 years ago
    I have two schedules based on the time of year:

1. April through August, 12 AM to 7 AM. No naps but I drink quite a bit of bourbon in the evening after work. I jet ski at least 2 evenings during the week (no drinking) and all day on Saturday (drinks after the boats are out of the water) if I'm not riding motorcycles. I don't drink unless I'm parked for the evening. Hate the hangover and cure it with a low-calorie Gatorade and a breakfast burrito.

2. September through March, 12 AM to 5 AM. I don't drink at all during the week and work out Mon-Sat. in the morning. I look better and feel better but miss the summer skin! Why do I feel like I was born 20 years before my kindred female counterparts?
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    "Require" is pretty vague. That said, if I get 5 hours I feel I did well. Sometimes just a couple and every great once in awhile, maybe 8.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion