tuscl

Car Update

JuiceBox69
Fucking on Young N Dumb Chicken Heads
So this is what I did with my current car situation. Went with keeping the car since its paid off and according to online research of my car I have another 100,000 the car should be able to do if I give it love

Parts
O2 sensors. Thermostat. Anti-freeze coolant all makes. Intake gasket set. Water pump. Belt and pulley kit. Spark plugs. Boot kit. Air filter. Belts. Upper hose. Intake connectors. Plenum connectors. Clamps. Seal. Front wheel bearing.

Labor
Remove and replace thermostat. Check engine light. Remove and replace timing belt and water pump. Repair exhaust leak. Remove and replace front wheel bearings.

Total cost after repairs,detail the car then getting it legal and shit was a little over $2,700

I actually did this last month just slow to post the update

Thanks for all the help and information you guys shared with me in making a good decision

Car runs and feels good..I'm happy

58 comments

• twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Don't forget to use a good synthetic engine oil and change as per specs, older cars 3-4000 miles newer cars 8-12000 miles synthetic oils should give longer intervals between changes because they don't break down as quickly.
    Rinse and Repeat.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Thanks man I will take all the advice I can get..it's extremely helpful
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I agree lol...I only go to the ones that have people hand washing it
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    My car has 318,000 miles on it
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    I just keep it up
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    According to forms and reviews about my car I could drive it up to 300,000 and maybe even 400,000 if I love on it....if that's so then this car could go a long ways for sure

I'm actually planning to dump $2,000-$4,000 every year into it just to give it this chance...I'm also doing this because I'm going to just start driving it across country and Shit to visit clubs and fellow tuscl buddies like you Joe
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    In 1975 one of my friends who was a mechanic preached to me that changing the oil faster than recommended and maintaining the car according to the owner's manual, always guaranteed that a car would not only last longer, but remain a good driver. I drove a 2002 wrx wagon for 247,000 miles on the original clutch and it never burned an ounce of oil. In fact I have never once added oil to a car because of his advice. I change my oil which is synthetic at 5,000 miles because we get cold weather here and I drive a lot of secondary roads. There are places in life to save money and car maintenance isn't one of them.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Skim nice story and good point bro

Titty lol Joe gets it up LMFAO
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    My Odyssey has over 200,000 miles on it and burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. An expensive synthetic would be a complete waste of money. I save that for the Lotus.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    Nice aviator Juice.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Not keeping up with appearances will allow a pl's wallet to be as big as needed, attracting the ladies. Car payments are a chumps game for soccer moms who want to make sure their kid arrive safely and not broken down on the side of the road, otherwise if you're a Man U can take on less expensive vehicles to get u from point A to point B.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 years ago
    @Crazyjoe said: "I just keep it up."

You're not talking about cars anymore, are you?
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Rock damn

John thank you

Meat hell yeah

Ishmael LMFAO
  • rickdugan
    8 years ago
    4,000 per year is basically what you would spend on car payments on something brand new with a warranty and 200,000+ good driving miles in its future, even with a high interest rate. 2,000 of that 2,700 would have been better spent on a down payment for a new compact car then going into a shit box that is obviously falling apart.

But to each his own I suppose. Just keep this in mind when the next big repair bill hits. I tend to drive my cars for a long time and I take good care of them, but there comes a time when sinking more $$$ into an old car is just throwing good money after bad. As a general rule of thumb, I won't do a repair on a car that has 200k+ miles if it is going to cost me over 1k. Instead I sell or trade the car for whatever I can get and use that money, along with what I would have spent on the repair, as part of the down payment for the new car. Then rinse, repeat. I get about a good decade out of each car and then ditch it right before it becomes a money pit with little residual value.

Anyway, good luck.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Once my current car is completely finished I plan on trying the new car method but I will probably buy it used one year behind once it's already taken that off the car lot value drop

Then take car of that one then repeat

You guys have educated me a lot for future ideas and doing my transportation better
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Juice, I have to agree with Rick. I just got a 2 yo compact car for a little over $11K. Payments are $290 for 48 months with a pathetic $250 down, that really just covered the document fee. That's about $3.5K/yr and it gets over 35 mpg with a 6 speed manual. I have bad credit, like 630/640 bad. Since I have bad credit, I won't take out a loan for longer than 48 months since I hate interest.

Agree with the full synthetics (oil and transmission). I ran the full battery of tests to convince myself when I worked as a chemist in recycling industry a long time ago. Mobil 1 at 10k-11k mi from my Ford's crankcase tested as good or better than dead dino juice at 3k. Oil filter was changed on the Mobil 1 at 6k (per guidelines, of course). Really the filters wear out (get full, clogged) before synthetics are done.

Often taxi cabs will change the filter at 3k or 6k miles, keep the same oil, then change both at next oil change. Basically to same money. But the takeway is that synthetics are better and worth the cost, assuming you have a well maintained engine that isn't already burning oil too fast.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    How do you just change just the oil filter? What a fucking mess; oil isn't expensive!
  • rickdugan
    8 years ago
    I have never used synthetic oil or premium gasoline in any of my vehicles and my current SUV, which is getting up there in miles, still purrs like a kitten. So did my last two SUVs, which I retired not because of engine problems, but for other reasons.

The key is to change the oil and oil filter frequently. I coax well in excess of 200k good miles out my cars this way. . The only adjustment I make is to switch to a higher mileage oil after 100k miles, which is a touch more expensive but keeps the seals healthy and is less likely to burn.

As we all know, a car is a depreciating asset. The key is to do what is reasonably necessary to keep it running for as long as possible, but no more. This is especially true when the car is getting older and closer to a low residual value. For example, pouring over 2k in repairs into a 10 year old car that is worth less than 5k (and losing more value every day) is a horrible investment when so many better options are available.
  • rickdugan
    8 years ago
    And I agree with rockstar. Oil is cheap and well worth the investment in my experience.
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    Rick: Several of the newer models use a so called synthetic blend oil that recommended oil change interval is every 7500 miles. I personally change every 5K with those cars, with oil remaining life indicating in the 60-70% range still. I've hardly ever had to add any oil between changes, maybe 1/8 qt, if that. While doing expensive repairs on same car may look good on number cruncher, I agree with your philosophy on car replacement. Chasing down too many mechanical issues at random unpredictable times defeats the purpose for having a car in the first place.
  • rickdugan
    8 years ago
    Minnow, German cars, others with high performance engines, and hybrids all require synthetic oil. But most of the regular cars do not. My wife drives a new SUV and it does not require synthetic.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    rick d: Premium gasoline is for higher compression engines. Both my Acura's 'require' it; you can use regular but it cuts both power and mileage, so it's a zero sum game. The Honda uses regular so that's what I buy. The Lotus had a "factory" advance of 5 degrees; I adjusted it to 10 degrees and if I don't use premium it will knock like hell. In fact, I set the timing to be just the edge of detonation...more HP and better throttle response. More pollution too but it is exempt from testing.

If you put premium gas in a car that uses regular, you won't get more power or mileage; it's just a waste of money. So bottom line: just buy what the owner's manual says.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Lots of good information guys...thanks for the car knowledge
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    Rick- even some "regular" cars like the V6 Chevy Impala use the "synthetic blend" oil. I'm not sure exactly how it differs from the full synthetic oil. I do know that owners manuals are specific on exactly what kind, and viscosity oil to use. The "SB" oil is much closer in price to the synthetic oil vs regular oil. So far, oil consumption rates have closely mirrored the full synthetic performance. Fyi, Corvettes use synthetic, the base Mustang GT V8 uses the synthetic blend. Not sure what the Shelby version uses.
  • warhawks
    8 years ago
    Juice, why do you think any of us give a flying fuck about your hooptie beater car?

When you start driving a Maybach let us know.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Lol thanks wear waakee
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I have a 2000 Honda w/ ~250k miles - the most expensive repair it's needed was under $300 (w/ the caveat I have avery cheap Cuban mechanic down here in Miami but still the car rarely breaks down nor has it has any major issues - not even the clutch has gone nor the A/C which is saying something in hot and humid Miami).

Have been meaning to get a new or slightly used car for a couple of years now but have not been in the mood to go thru the hassle and I enjoy not having a car-payment and low-insurance (no collision, etc) - but I will most likely be getting into a different car in the next couple of months.

But I agree, having to plunk down big repair $$$ into a fairly old car is probably a risky investment.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    minnow, synthetic oil companies make deals with the car companies to recommend to use their oil. It's a scam. You can use any oil in a car, although cheap oil needs to be changed more often. We're talking cars with an 8000 RPM redline or lower now...race cars are a whole 'nother deal. I used to use cheap oil in the Lotus since I changed it every 3 months regardless of mileage, but now use synthetic and change it every July 3rd. The manual actually says once a year or 5000 miles...I put maybe 2000 miles a year on it. Once a year with synthetic is cheaper and easier than 4 times a year with Pep Boys low grade. BTW I do all my own maintenance.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Someone told me if one has a car and they have been using regular oil that one should not switch to synthetic (it's bad for the engine) but IDK if this is true - and I agree w/ Rick, my old car does do better w/ the high-mileage oil.

SUVs and pickup-trucks sem to do well w/ regular gas but many foreign cars require the higher-grade stuff.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Papi, I need my Honda Odyssey because of the band; I have a lot of equipment to haul (full Marshall stack, guitars, guitar and mic stands, mics, cables, and sometimes my PA which is the power amp, mixer, monitors and mains...) and it's over 200,000 miles. It's had a few things break but it's still worth keeping. Hondas are great!
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    It's definitely been a fun learning experience
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I dislike a car payment so much I would rather pay cash for a used year behind model at best and might be what I do once my current car finally gets shot
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    In theory doh you could replace every part on a used car and keep it forever right ? Or is their a spot in rebuilding a car that just gets to expensive ???
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Kinda what I was thinking of just budgeting $2-4K on the car every year in the idea of just rebuilding it and making it a beast or is that impossible and I'm just not understanding this ?
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    @ RockStar Synthetic oil is not a scam, it is superior to oil in the fact that it does last longer before the engine heat breaks it down. Both motor oil and synthetic motor oil protect engines well the difference is that once the real oil starts to breakdown and lose its protective qualities way before the synthetic oil. Which lasts from two to three times as long.
    @ juice it is more expensive to buy the parts and assemble a car, than to buy one already assembled.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    One needs to be careful when ditching an old car for another used car b/c they may be getting into a lemon/headache.

If I go used it'd probably be around 3 years old and preferably under 40k miles - lots of 3 y/o cars since that is when many come off leases
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Twenty-five thanks for the head's up

Papi good points for me to consider for my future options
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    25: I agree synthetic is better in the abstract, but in the cases I posted about I stand by why cheap oil might be better. If your car drinks oil like my 200,000 mile Honda, it's pointless. And when I was changing the Lotus oil every 3 months and 500 miles ish, it was a waste.
  • Bobbuk
    8 years ago
    There are other things that will break on a car long before the engine, changing oil will preserve that for sure, but the other factors in newer cars will fuck you over e.g. sensors. All the motors mentioned having done 200k+ how old are they? I'm sure its a fact with older motors there are less things to fuck up, they will last longer; with all the new electrics in cars and tinkering via a laptop to me is a sure fire way of ensuring, just like your mobile phone, courtesy of the manufacturer, it fucks up at a certain age.

I do about 40k business miles a year and run every car into the ground (many have done 250k+ before I've either been in an accident or wanted to change), however, from the dealer, I always buy a service package that includes servicing, quarterly checks, oil changes, cam belt changes, brake fluid. All the other 'bits' that need buying are tyres and brake discs/pads, other items I never heard of that seem to fail and 'should' be replaced are shit I've never heard of like 'bumper stops' wtf?!?! (I never did replace).

Some cars do come with mileage warranty, and I find buying a service plan from the dealer means it will be looked after and serviced for a monthly payment, takes all the hassle out of owning a car and trying to find a repair shop at a decent price that you can trust.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    That is very cool and is worth looking into....
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I'm able to afford major repairs or a new car if I truly wished....I remember those years when I couldn't doh....I'm very blessed right now....hope and pray it stays like this for a long good while lol
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Watching a liberal like Rockstar write about cars is like watching a liberal preach about religion. It just doesn't add up when they have such little experience with it.

Cars are easy to figure out when you have enough experience with them, as long as you know your odds. It's like insurance, just buy the basics to cover catastrophic low occurrence/high cost events and you've played the game correctly.

High occurrence/high costs you shift your risk. Low occurrence/low costs you retain the risk. In between....well I know several people who use public transportation for known appointments or places they need to attend, and then use Uber for one off spontaneous occurrences. Think about the insurance/taxes/maintenance/gas costs a person saves each month without owning a car!
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    ^^^ Correction, high occurrence/low costs retain the risk.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I actually went without a car for two and half years just on that idea alone...I did save a lot of money but my biggest issue was my public transportation was shit and couldn't land a solid job like I have right now...Fuck ART lol...that's what they call it in my Town lol

The other information was very helpful as well that's meat
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Good one Che !
  • warhawks
    8 years ago

Forget the Trabant Juice.

The car you want is a 1987 Yugo. Trust me.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Awesome trabant reference. I wonder if you can still get one?
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I change my oil every 3000 miles or longer if the manual and manufacturer says it is ok. Get required service at regular intervals. I bought a more reliable car in 2001. The previous car a transam was on a list of second worst used car in the US for repairs and reliability.
    I remember a college course on engineering economics and basically when your auto repairs average cost per year is higher than the cost for a newer car, it's past time to replace it.
    In the paper there is a guy who writes an article in the Sunday paper on the first page of the last section and he thinks only a millionaire should buy a new car because of all the depreciation that goes with it. In my opinion, if you really want something and you have the money, buy want you want. You only live once.
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    I bet that shipping a Trabant to the US will be too costly for juicebox69.

But I hear that Ford Pintos from 1970s were aces. You need to find one in a junkyard and show it love! ;)
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    I had thought Maybach was being offered as a separate name plate, but I guess not. So they can be 4.7 L V8, or 6.0 L V12

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/…

The entire auto industry has been cutting engine sizes down. But there had been an S900, 833hp, 6.3 liter V12.

For the other cars today, they don't seem to offer V12. 6.3 L V8, and for the two seater like D. Trump has, 689 hp.

So though 6.3 Liter, still V8

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/02/brabu…

Yea, s900, 6.3 liters v12, 887 hp.

but no more. Now S600, 6 liters v12, 523hp

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/…

I can already picture Juice driving it, with a load of hot strippers too.

SJG
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Juice, the CV boots will be your next repair on the Saturn. You'll feel it when turning corners. It's at this point maybe you will need to ditch it for something else. I wouldn't repair the joints if they go out.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Looks like alot of posters here "economize" on their car so they have more money to spend on strippers.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't want to drive a new car to a strip club unless there was really good security in the parking lot or you had money to burn in case crap happens. I've seen cars get vandalized and broken into in some club parking lots.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Strip clubs cannot really be considered as the solution to anything. Should not use them for sexual gratification. Need to set up other social structures.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    About a nice car and strip clubs, my main objection would be valet parking.

But I prefer to park on public streets anyway.

What works and what does not varies from place to place.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion