tuscl

Can you swim?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I was talking to a young 20's dancer recently and she told me that she couldn't swim. I would have thought that in this day and age everybody knew how. Am I wrong?

16 comments

• Dominic77
    8 years ago
    They don't always teach it in school anymore. It was required in 9th grade for me (1992-1993). But with funding and tax cuts, it's harder to justify. Mom took me to lessons and several neighbors had pools along with the city recreation center.

I can swin, quite well, in fact. Late GenX here.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    I was fortunate enough to have a pool in the local park district, where I learned to swim - then another in HS with a couple of swim units in my required gym credits and another in college. My wife, on the other hand, grew up on an island and never learned how to swim.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    I think Dominic nailed it. School and community funding cuts have reduced the opportunities for young people to learn to swim.
  • bang69
    8 years ago
    There are a lot of people who don't know how to swim
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    With all the ponds, lakes, rivers and thousands of miles of coastline, it is amazing that anyone cannot swim.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 years ago
    Grew up near the ocean. I can't imagine not learning how to swim.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    You can't graduate at University Of Chicago without passing the Life Saving test. If it's too expensive for high schools I understand, especially with Republican budget cuts to education. I believe ALL college should make swimming mandatory for graduation unless you're physically disabled.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    My last two DS would not get in the pool at hotels when we traveled, both said they could not swim. I think kids that are raised with easy access to recreation (pools, sports teams....) usually dont end up stripping
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Naah, dickbreath, wrong again. Your BS is so deep whales fuck in it.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    My dental hygienist this week is a cute young thing and chatty. We were talking about this and she also can't swim. I've been swimming laps just about my entire life. My wife complains that I always smell like chlorine.
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    I learned to swim in Indiana lakes when I was about 5 and since then have swum many times every year all over the world. Also, my first high school was right next to a YMCA, my second high school had its own pool, and both had mandatory swimming instruction in gym class. However, there have always been a surprising number of people who can't swim.
  • Dolfan
    8 years ago
    Down here in FL, most people know how to swim. Most, but not all. I find it incomprehensible that people can't swim around here, but every few months I run into someone who can't. My obvervations align with with Daddillac's comment, its more common among strippers to not be able to swim. And at the risk of sounding racist, the black girls are even more common. I can think of three strippers off the top of my head that can't swim, all three are black and from islands. One Jamaican, one Bahamian, and on from Trinidad.

• Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    8 years ago
    Surprisingly, it's not that common that many people doesn't know how to swim. I didn't even learn how to swim until I was shipped off to boot camp after I joined the military.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I remember having swimming class back in middle school 94-95
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I took swimming lessons as a kid, but yes a lot of black people don't know how to swim.
  • goldmongerATL
    8 years ago
    Oh, to go swimmin with bowlegged women!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion