tuscl

Education

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:14 AM
Poledancer's post about a career after dancing aroused my curiosity about the education of posters on this forum: 1. What is your level of education? 2. How important has your education been to your career? I'll answer first: 1. What is your level of education? I have a bachelor's degree and two master's degrees. My second master's degree was an MBA. 2. How important has your education been to your career? Very important. I would not have been considered for many jobs without my education. Even more importantly, my education provided me with ways of looking at and solving problems.

35 comments

• chessmaster
    8 years ago
    High school and 4 automotive courses at a community college Not at all...
  • bubba267
    8 years ago
    PH.D. - school of hard knocks Masters - Chasing Girls BS - Talking Crap Seriously, masters degree in field of work, and very important
  • gawker
    8 years ago
    BS MA MEd C.A.G.S. Degrees open doors. Competency keeps them open.
  • rell
    8 years ago
    went to Lincoln university in a major in communications I did not finish considering going to back to school for sports management I can actually finance it and something I want to do
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    High School, with a few classes in programming in the military after that. No degree. I wouldn't be where I am now without the military. I'd still be flipping burgers. Though The owner of the place once confided in me that he would have considered selling to me had I stuck around.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    BS - Polly Sci All class hours required for Masters, but never completed paperwork to receive degree. Plus, 60 (of 70 additional) credit hours toward a different masters. Bachelor's degree was useless in my career and almost all of the post grad credits were taking courses provided by, or recommended and paid for by, employer. Personally, I think most of that education was useless. OTOH, my employer often asked me to teach accredited post grad. classes for a semester at a time (convoluted rules of academia somehow accredited me as a post grad instructor in a few specific subjects) - I enjoyed that, and I guess the class credits were helpful in my accreditation. I only hated teaching when the classes were mostly attorneys. There were always one or two who were a major pain for an entire semester (or quarter). All of the education was totally useless in second career which I started at 45. Did that only 10 years before retiring at 55.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    Reporting for the other side - - - I met a stripper yesterday who graduated from Florida State with a Bachelor's (Fine Arts) 8 years ago and has been dancing for 7 years. (she knew too much detail to have been lying about the degree) I doubt she would consider her degree "helpful" in her current career!
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I had 2 years of college done going part time in the evenings before I joined the Air Force. While in the AF I decided on a new career and there were no college courses available then to prepare you for it. There are probably less than 2,000 people doing what I did for 42 years. Now there is one private school that will prepare you for the exam to get licensed. During my career I think that 50% of my fellow workers did have degrees but I saw no correlation between their performance on the job and those without one. It took me 2 years of self study to prepare for the licensing exam that came in 2 parts. First a written exam that I was give 8 hours to complete and after that an oral exam. I was the first person at my company to pass it the first time. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change anything.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I have a B,S. in Geology and an MBA. The year I graduated, the oil industry was in one of its lowest points over the last 40 years. Experienced geologists were being laid off all over Texas. Geologists in Houston were selling their Rolexes to pay their home mortgages. Not a good time to look for a job. Sheldon Cooper on "The Big Bang Theory" laughs at Geology and says "it's not a real science". Most people don't realize how much math is required. Even then. I had a math background that equaled or exceeded most engineers. That combined with a rudimentary knowledge of computer programming landed me my first job at an engineering company. So I never worked in the field of my degree, but some specific coursework did help.
  • mjx01
    8 years ago
    PhD. Yes it is important in my career (more so in keeping my job), but knowing the right person to hep get me hired was very important in getting my job in the first place.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Hope JS69 posts where he went to law school. I would then cut-and-paste some of his best goofy and perverted posts and send it to his alumni office. "Here, guys, you produced America's greatest stoner-attorney."
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I went to the Thomas Jefferson school of law. [view link]
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan is about as bad. I think it's still the nation's largest law school although it's had a huge decline in enrollment. Depending on your source, the post-grad employment rate is around 22 to 25 percent. And only about 40% pass the bar. It's acceptance rate is ridiculous. Something like 75 percent.
  • rickthevulture
    8 years ago
    I have a Ph.D. in carrion studies from New World Vulture Polytechnic. Go fighting condors! Squawk! It was very important for my career because I was responsible for safety inspections. I always told my buds "hey, we're vultures, but you never know what will hurt your tummy until you finish your carrion studies. Squawk!" Now that my career is "be buds with future dictator of the world" my degree doesn't help much. Squawk!
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I got a BS, I got a pretty decent job because of it, but I'm looking to go back to school to get my masters to get an ever better job.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    1. Wayne State for my undergrad in Poli Sci. Hopefully U of Colorado at Boulder for law school (DC is my back up). 2. It's very important for the career I'm pursuing lol. I've also learned a lot in college so it's important to me in that way as well.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I am also trying to get a master's in business since I'm pursuing business law, but that is not set in stone. All the law schools I'm interested in have a "dual degree" program where I can get my MBA along with my JD. I just don't know how well I'll score on the GMAT, whereas I know I'll score in the very high percentiles on the LSAT.
  • Corvus
    8 years ago
    I highly value education and consider the fact it opens many more doors to you if you have earned a degree. And even if you have an education without graduating you are ahead of the game. I have a bachelor's and master's degree and without these would not be qualified to practice my chosen profession. So very important to me. But I know of many examples of very intelligent people without a formal university education who have done very well for themselves. Mostly due to intelligence and hard work. And Motorhead I agree with you on your comment about the character on The Big Bang Theory. Physicists have to be intelligent but they also conduct tests under full control. Let those bastards work under conditions they have no control over in nature and see how comfortable they are. And one reason I did not pursue any additional Geology courses was the amount of math required.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    "The bachelors degree is the new high school diploma" Amen
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    I have a Bachelors degree and an MBA. Initially - the group I worked in was very degree conscious - as there were lots of stuffed shirts and giant egos - and they wanted to show their power by telling everyone how many MBA's worked for them. I'm glad to be out of that group - but I'm also glad they paid for my MBA. In many finance jobs an MBA is required if you are working in downtown NYC - as they know there are lots of folks looking for each available job - and it allows them to narrow the applicants. I use what I learned frequently - but it's the application of the knowledge that is important.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Bachelors, and just finished my MBA less than two years ago. Definitely worth it for me and the field i work in now as I saw a big jump in pay. Now I am working on getting an even better jobs. It was worth the leaving work force for a couple years. Luckily for me I had good undergrad grades and GMAT so I had pretty much a free ride through grad school as a fellow and graduate assistant.
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    8 years ago
    Bachelors in Business Management but it is a heavily saturated field with relatively not-so-great pay so I'm now enrolled in Pharmacy School with the eventual goal of obtaining my PharmD degree (Doctorate of Pharmacy) and becoming a licensed pharmacist.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    BS/MS in engineering – by the time I was let go from my engineering job in late 2009 I was seriously burned-out and did not want to go back into the field – probably was not for me to begin w/ and I had a hard-time working in a big-company and dealing with the often inefficient corporate-world bureaucracy - my degree was pretty much a requirement for doing the type of work I did. I now work for a very small family-owned biz in an unrelated field – less $$$ but I’m def happier. I think higher-ed has gotten too expensive for the quality of the education it delivers and often times I’m not sure these Bachelors degrees are worth-it but they are often a requirement; sorta pay to play/work. I would not be surprised if going-forward the Internet will disrupt education more and more as it has many other industries.
  • clubdude
    8 years ago
    BA in History. Diploma from the Defense Language Institute (German). And I still haven't gotten to one of those FKK yet!!!
  • Phoenix133
    8 years ago
    Only high school, though I did take some college summer classes (one of them I had the highest grade out of the class in.) Never got back into school due to several bumps in life and then the lack of money and available scholarships for the things I was interested in going to college for.
  • mjx01
    8 years ago
    @Papi: I hear ya bro. Engineering contractor for the gov... the bureaucracy is a nightmare. I spend more time getting my paper work 'right' than engineering.
  • culvercityboy
    8 years ago
    Two Bachelor's, a Master's, + more credits. All required for attaining, then keeping, my job. Also have a couple of state licenses. While education is very important to me, I got my first job in my field because he knew me. I got hired by another employer because I knew one of his employees. I've found that "who you know" is just as important as "what you know," so I'm guessing whoever knows JS is LDKing and OTCing for life (oh, and getting the best bud available).
  • lopaw
    8 years ago
    1. Doctorate. 2. Immensely - How else would I make all of this money to piss away on strippers?
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    Bachelor's and two master's degrees. All of my jobs in almost 40 years of work have been closely related to what I studied. I agree that a bachelor's degree isn't worth what it used to be -- it really is the new H.S. diploma -- and that online classes are already revolutionizing the way people learn and will continue to do so.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    @lopaw From hints in prior postings, I have always assumed you were an engineer. Specifically in the aerospace industry. Do you do research, or is my guess wrong?
  • GACA
    8 years ago
    @Lopaw.. assuming you're a professor. .. I think I took your Comm class @CSUN
  • lopaw
    8 years ago
    @motorhead - I am actually a physicist/scientist now, though I still utilize my engineering background on a daily basis. And GACA - I have indeed taught some classes, though none @ CSUN. And why did I pursue this difficult and unforgiving path of learning? "I did it all for the nookie...."
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    High School 1975 Bartenders School certificate 1976 Associates degree Liberal Arts 1979 Management training Bob Evans-1980 Bachelors in English-1982 Bachelors in Advertising-1983 U.S Army 1989-1995 M.B.A. 1996 M.Ed. 1998 Divorced 2014 Hard to say what I learned the most from but it has been interesting. The bartending paid for everything else ,almost, so maybe that was the best investment.
  • georgebailey
    8 years ago
    PharmD and MBA I liked school.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    Any one ever met an over educated idiot? I have. What a waste of money.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion