tuscl

Showgirls

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Showgirls was biggest, most publicized movie about strippers that Hollywood ever produced. It was also one of the worst movies I have ever seen (and I've seen Sharknado.) Here the director defends his picture:

http://www.playboy.com/articles/director…

22 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    It certainly didn't rate any Academy awards but I found it entertaining and have watched it on Netflix a couple of times.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Yeah I thought Showgirls was pretty lame.
  • GoVikings
    9 years ago
    Not the greatest movie ever, but I enjoyed it for what it was
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    That movie would have been unwatchable if Elizabeth Berkley wasn't showing full frontal nudity every 5 minutes.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    But thank goodness she was! The supporting dancers (Gina Gershon, Rena Riffel, Carrie Ann Inaba and Michelle Johnston) looked pretty darn good naked as well.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Let's face it. Nobody watched that movie for the plot! Lol
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    It's nowhere NEAR the worst movie ever. As stated above, the nudity alone makes it watchable. I don't know why it got so thoroughly trashed. Must be the critic's wives that exerted undue pressure to pan it so badly.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    It was kind of a forgettable mess. Like Waterworld, because of the hype it's badness is overrated.
  • chessmaster
    9 years ago
    Never seen it. Should I bother?
  • deogol
    9 years ago
    I too didn't find it as bad as the critics called it. A lot of what happened I thought was a realistic interpretation of how people get involved. It is all the boobs and such that got their panties in a twist. But if you ask em "Show me a scene where it is unrealistic, bad" I'll bet they can't. It was panned on the subject matter, not the execution.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Showgirls was not that bad. It made me think about what places like Vegas are like.

Joe Eszterhas writes lots of scripts like that, stuff with a sexual and dominance and submission theme. He is good.

I think most interesting was the event that started the story, the girl who went to offer herself to the musician. He had two of his assistant book ends rape her while he laughed.

That explains how it is with all these athletes like Kobe Bryant or Mike Tyson. The last thing those guys want is what they get offered all the time, consensual sex. So rather than just run the women off, they have come up with this script for overwhelming them and then raping them. I remember some of the testimony from the Mike Tyson case being read.

If you watch this Showgirls movie, then you can understand how that situation would be.

SJG
    https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/…
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Not a great movie, but did like this classic quote:

"l'm getting tired of your shit
    lf you want to last longer than a week,
    you give me a blow job
    First l get you used to the money
    Then I make you swallow"
  • AnonymousJim
    9 years ago
    Count me in the camp of thinking it wasn't that bad, but then again, I don't think any of us here, who are in no way put off by strippers and strip clubs, will think it was awful. Remember that a lot of folks aren't like us and couldn't get past the shock value. The only part I can criticize was some of the dancing and/or sex. The pool scene ... yeah, that's not how sex works. B-movie softcore sex looks more realistic.

Rena Riffel was hot. And Carrie Ann Inaba was in it? Surprised you can't find more screencaps/video online. I found a couple pics via Google, but that was it.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    Like most, I didn't think it was horrible, but the nudity saved it. Will I go out of my way to watch it? No. If it's on and I'm flipping channels will I watch it? Yes.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    I've seen worse. I actually saw this at a theater (first and last time I saw a NC-17 movie at the show)and what I found interesting was the crowd. It was packed but by the time it was over me and my bisexual male friend were the only ones left. I was curious because I was dancing then and he liked the idea of Jessie Spano naked. I didn't know Carrie Ann Inaba was in it, I'll have to find out where.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I watched it a few times it would have been boring without Elizabeth Barkley for my money Striptease with Demi Moore and Burt Reynolds was much better more interesting and funny.

SJG take your head out of your ass leave Kobe & Tyson alone you don't know what the fuck you are talking about
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    It was terrible but if you fast forward thru most of it to the nude scenes it makes for a decent 15 min watch.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    Watched it, won't again.
  • TxVegas
    9 years ago
    The scene early on with Elizabeth Berkley ant the ketchup and fries was the worst acting of all time. The all nude at Cheetahs was also not accurate, but kinda hot. Then, just when I thought it was over, how about a rape. So, I am apparently in the minority in thinking it was a terrible movie.
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Showgirls was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I think the only good movie Verhoeven did was Robocop.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I put Showgirls in the category of "so bad, it's good". It got bad reviews because it was meant to be a serious movie. It makes me wonder what Elizabeth Berkley's doing these days.
  • Dancer_
    9 years ago
    It was alright. Some scenes were so goddamn lame though - Berkley licking pole(eww) or that sex scene in the pool where she was shaking like crazy, wtf. But whatever, it could be worse.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion