tuscl

Guns

JohnSmith69
layin low but staying high
I have a question for those of you who own and carry guns.

One of the dozens of wonderful new freedoms that I have as a divorced guy is the ability to buy, own and carry guns. The frigid ex-ball and chain was a gun control freak. About the only thing she felt more strongly about than refusing sex was bashing guns.

So I'm taking a concealed carry class soon and then buying my personal arsenal while it's still legal to do so. I've been reading up on gun safety, shooting with my sons, and researching guns. I'm starting with hand guns although I'll move next to shotguns, hunting rifles, assault rifles, etc

On handguns I'm pretty sold on Glocks and will no doubt buy at least a couple. But I want a variety of handguns in every caliber of various sizes. So my main question is what brands of handguns would be best besides Glocks and in what calibers?

If liberals want to challenge my purchase of guns, feel free. It's a free country, at least until the government or courts effectively repeal the second amendment. But here's a recent example from Detroit of the reason I plan to carry. Tens of thousands of similar examples could be cited. If law abiding citizens were carrying this crap would not happen, and if it did happen scum bags like this would be dead. I will not depend upon the cops to keep me or my family safe.

http://dailym.ai/1CJZFbB

Thanks for any helpful advice.

38 comments

• chessmaster
    9 years ago
    Smith and Wesson, berretta.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Can't go wrong with a Glock........ I also recommend one of these....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34GzhIZ-…
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    If it's good enough for Walter White, it's good enough for me. I loved that episode.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    I usually carry a Glock 19, which is 9mm with a 15 round magazine. I'm thinking of buying a Glock 26, which is smaller and will fit in your pocket.

I also own a Walther PPK .380 and a S&W .357 magnum revolver. Both are nice pistols, but the Glock is better for self-defense.
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    There's a town in Utah where it isn't just legal to own it a gun, it's the law: You must own a gun.

Wish I could offer some advice on guns, but I really don't know anything about them. I'm just not a gun person.
  • whodey
    9 years ago
    My nightstand gun is a S&W M&P series .40 cal. I use a .357 Chiappa Rhino for a concealed carry piece.

I highly recommend the Chiappa Rhino for a great combination of stopping power and concealment. It's bottom of the cylinder barrel placement makes it highly accurate for a compact carry piece.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    You will want to try a variety to see if there's any particular manual-of-arms you like. I love shooting SA .45s, but for a defensive piece, it just doesn't work for me. The manual-of-arms I prefer is: no manual safeties, when I pull the trigger, it goes boom. Glock is, of course, fantastic for this, and has the further advantage that it has many available triggers, and is so easy to smith that you can change the trigger out yourself. Other good options include DA/SA guns like Sig Sauer's (p228, etc), but while the Sig's trigger is far more refined, I really love the Glock's -- specifically for defensive use --. Anyway, you might find the exact opposite: you love 1911s, or you love DA/SA. Best way to figure out what works for you is to get some training, and then go rent some guns on the range to see what you like best. I don't see much use in having 3 different guns with 3 completely different manual-of-arms ... that's a guaranteed recipe to fuck up when you're under stress.

The other things you'll want to do, since many self-defense situations happen at night, is get a good flashlight that has an acceptable tactical UI (many lights being sold as defensive lights do NOT -- but you may want some training to understand why) and at least basic low-light training. Regardless, remember the rule: positively identify your target. That means you better have a light.

Lastly, if you'll be doing outside carry, a little training in how to fight your way to your firearm can be a lifesaver.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    The two i carry are a Glock 22. It is the full size 40 caliber. I prefer a 40 to a 9mm. I also carry a J Frame Smith & Wesson 38 special revolver. The S&W fits nicely in my pocket with a pocket holster and weighs 17 ounces fully loaded. I also have a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum for home. The ruger is my favorite one to shoot, but it is a little big to carry and keep hidden
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    Find some place or someone who can give you multiple options to try out, preferably at a gun range. Shoot as many different brands and calibers as you can. Find one that fits your hands and you can shoot well. Then practice often with it, if you can find ammo. One of the biggest obstacles to shooting these days is the availability, and price, of ammo.

If you are comfortable with your gun everything else will fall into place. Listen to the concealed carry instructors and follow the basic rules of gun safety. You will be fine. Have fun with it.

And those bastards in Detroit, in the story you linked to, should be shot on sight and never see the light of day, much less a prison, ever again.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice.

Corvus, you know that won't happen. If they are caught, there will be a trial, an appeal, a retrial, and another appeal. Maybe they finally get convicted, spend a fraction of their sentence in jail and then get out early. Probably cost taxpayers a million dollars. Instead, if the boyfriends are armed and knew what they're doing, the scum bags are dead and we keep our tax money. A win win.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I'm conservative in most aspects but never been into guns – I can def see their merit in today's unsafe world; but in my personal experience I have seen more people accidentally get hurt by guns than have used to them to save their lives.

But I gotta admit – especially living in Miami – it has crossed my mind that I may want to carry – especially if I end up getting into it w/ someone at the black dives I frequent – and I've had some run-ins but nothing that escalated to anything serious.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I actually have never fired a gun in my life nor even held one that I can recall.
  • tobala
    9 years ago
    I have a Glock 23, medium size 40 cal and love it. Super easy to break down and clean, light, matte black, and you can find a shitload of accessories. Do you plan to travel with this gun? If so study up on which states reciprocate your state's carry permit. Whats cool in one state may be a felony in another.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Great advice from Corvus. Some gun ranges have rental guns you can try.
  • jestrite50
    9 years ago
    I don't conceal carry because I work in 5 different states that don't reciprocate. So I can't take my guns from state to state. However I am a S&W fan and grew up with an S&W K38 38spl. I loved that gun and the feel and balance of it. I now have a Taurus 357 Mag that I use as needed. I like the feel of it and find it performs similar to Smith. I have an order in now for a Taurus 9mm semi auto. ( Guess I'm putting Americans out of work but so is our government and we keep re electing them.)
  • bubba267
    9 years ago
    Doesn't matter what others carry or don't. Corvus is right on. Many beginners find the simplicity of a revolver best under the stress a personal defense situation produces. Many officers and detectives have them as their primary or back-up. Those individuals more trained and needing/wanting more shot capacity will choose Sig Sauer, Glock or similar. Excellent guns but not necessarily for the beginner. Go to the range and try out revolvers and semi-autos. You didn't specifically ask the question, but I'm a firm believer in a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home defense.
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    Yea, it's hard to beat a 12 gauge pump.

One more thing, if you ever find yourself in the position of needing to use your gun (not just pull it out, but use it) make sure and kill the bastard. That way there is only one story for the cops to gather, yours. "Officer, the last thing he said was 'I'm going to kill you' so I defended myself".
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    ^^^ very true. If your not up to killing someone if necessary, dont own a gun
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    When I bought a carry weapon, a dealer I respected said a .40 was the best for carry. There are many varied opinions as there are calibers.
  • farmerart
    9 years ago
    Being a Canadian means that It is exceedingly difficult, nigh on impossible, for me to own a handgun legally. I have no wish to do so either. This does not mean that I am anti-gun. I own several long guns: rifles and shotguns, all licensed.

I like the advice from bubba267. For home defense go with a shotgun. You don't need marksmanship training and the shotgun is a simple device that has minimal chance of failure.

My grandpa's 100 year old shotgun continues to serve me well, ridding my yard of cats, skunks, porcupines, and similar useless critters. Should the need ever arise I am comfortable that the old gun would be similarly effective against a human.
  • deogol
    9 years ago
    A shotgun won't go into a neighbors house either. For pistols, a 9mm or a .40 hollow point rarely won't go thru the target endangering standbyers. These are things to consider too. The NRA has a few youtube channels - a good place to get info.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    I do like shooting at the range, but ammo is indeed damn expensive.

I do favor some gun control, especially background checks. But I'm convinced our income equally gap causes more murders than gun availability.
  • minnow
    9 years ago
    Don't know if this is old wives tale or true, but when judge asked an elderly woman why she fired 6 shots at assailant to kill him, she replied "because the gun went "CLICK" after the 6th shot". The judge let her off.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Tobala, I do own one gun right now -- a Glock 23, 40 caliber. I'm using it for my concealed carry test/class. Seems like a great gun although I have very little to compare it to. Both my sons also have Glocks -- a 45 and a 9 mm. So I have shot lots of Glocks. But besides the Glocks and a couple of rifles those are the only things I've shot so far. I will try renting some of the guns that you guys suggested before buying any more.

• 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "If it's good enough for Walter White, it's good enough for me. I loved that episode."

Brilliant!

Seriously though, what do you want the gun for? Hunting? Target shooting? Self defense? Let your goals and comfort with different firearms guide you! You talked about concealed carry but how comfortable are you with guns overall? I'm actually not sure carting around concealed weapon is a good idea unless you're comfortable with and can use it effectively!
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    Many moons ago, when I was about nine, my father started teaching me to shoot but the lesson he kept impressing on me is "guns aren't toys!" As a teen when he stopped controlling my access it was "always consider a gun loaded!" And the general "don't be an idiot with a gun!" Make sure your life changes don't lead you to treat them as such! Guns are brilliant! Being an idiot when you use a gun is not brilliant! :(
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

I prefer 9mm for concealed carry/self defense.

Shotguns are instead well suited for home defense.

If you do end up shooting someone, make sure they are inside your house facing you.
    Shooting someone in the back who was previously in your house, but now on your front lawn while they are running away is a recipe for disaster, even if you feel you have the right to do it, the courts/judge will probably see differently.

I agree. If you're gonna shoot someone, shoot to kill. Only one person with a story to tell then.
  • tobala
    9 years ago
    While you're shopping enjoy the ride. Learn all you can and hope you never have to use it. And last but not least, don't play with your gun when you're getting high ! :)
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    Glocks are great but to my knowledge they don't make a single stack mag yet making them quite thick for pocket carry.
    KelTech makes a decent .380 for the money
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Glock does have single stacks as concealed carry guns. I tried them out in the store but didn't like how they felt. 9 mm does seem the logical choice to carry. The smallest caliber that can probably stop someone.
  • crsm27
    9 years ago
    JS69...

Here is my take. Go to a gun shop and just have them pull a bunch of guns out so you can feel which one fits your hands. Because just like women.... different ones feel different and everyone has their own personal preference. I hate glocks because they are too bulky for my hands. But they are great guns.

The S&W MP are great guns. So are CZ's. I love the PO7 model. Great little 9mm that is a compact yet small enough to carry and conceal. Beretta's are awesome guns as well.

Now if you are looking for personal protection..... I would get a 9mm. People will tell you .40 cal, 45 cal, etc. They say more knock down and what not. That is all true. The 9mm ammunition now a says is better and will pack a punch. But the thing with a 9mm... is it can carry more rounds. Now your average joe gun owner are not crack shots. So if you life is on the line would you want 10 rounds or 17 rounds??? That is all your call.

Now for shot gun and rifles..... I could go on and on. If you want more info feel free to PM me. Lets just say if all hell breaks loose in this country.... People will want to be my friends with the guns I have in my collection. But I know others have just as many or even more.
  • Mal2
    9 years ago
    There is no best gun. Get something reliable. Get something that you like the feel off (style and caliber/capacity). Find a range that rents weapons, tell them you want to try some before buying, and they will be happy to help you.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    PhantomGeek posted above, "There's a town in Utah where it isn't just legal to own it a gun, it's the law: You must own a gun."

Also true in Kennsaw, Ga since 1982.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    "So if you life is on the line would you want 10 rounds or 17 rounds??? That is all your call."

Unless you are in a multi-person shoot'em up situation, I think 17 rounds isn't useful at all. There is a lot more safety and lethality in being able to reliably hit the target with your first two or three shots than spraying 17 misses. The lighter ammo load also means a lighter, more maneuverable gun.

I'd go with a .40 with a small magazine. Glock, Sig or Beretta - whichever feels best in your hand and is easiest to access and pull out of your holster. Your holster, or holsters, that will vary with your wardrobe, will be at least as important a decision.

Most important of all is attitude. Before you buy, examine yourself and answer: Can I use this gun to end another person's life without hesitation?

Thank God I have never felt the need to own a handgun, though I a pretty handy with rifles. If I ever feel that I do, I will be able to answer "yes".

If I couldn't get my aim right, I'd go with one of the Taurus 8-shot revolvers. That way after I missed with my shots I could bludgeon the guy to death. ;-)
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Or maybe a Walther PPK. My name is dawg. ATACdawg...... ;-)
  • dallas702
    9 years ago
    A reasonably priced conceal carry weapon is a Smith and Wesson 9MM semi. I like that the 16 rond mag and fast reload means I have 33 shots quickly available (16X2, plus one in the pipe). I also have a Ruger .45ACP. that is reasonably light (plastic frame) and accurate enough at 50 feet. I carry both (not at the same time) in an inside-the-waistband holster in the small of my back. I also have a small frame Ruger 380 (six shot semi) that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster.

You should go to your local range and try out several different small arms (most ranges will rent or loan different weapons). If your range also sells weapons, they probably will let you try a weapon before you buy. Some people are uncomfortable with a handgun that does not have a safety (like my S&W 9MM and the little Ruger 380). Others like the idea of draw and shoot without flipping switches or any other delay. It is a good idea to experiment with several different options before picking your first weapon.

For home defense, you just can not beat a 12 guage short, in either semi or pump. In most states you can legally buy a 3 or 4 round pump 12Ga with an 18(and 1/2) inch barrell. Combined with a short stock, and maybe a pistol grip, the weapon is easily pointed toward a threat and you do not have to be exact. Whether the intruder is human, bear or other, even a miss is likely to result in the intruder making a very fast exit.

And din't overlook the "lowly" .22 rimfire rifle. As a learning platform, varmit gun and target shooter, a bolt action or semi .22 rifle is inexpensive fun. Especially considering the cost of ammo these days, popping off a brick (500 rounds) of .22 is a lot less expensive than sighting in an AR-15 chambered in .308 Winchester!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion