tuscl

Where are you more likely to be shot ?

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
I keep reading SC's 2am posts.

In the U.S. where are you more likely to be shot, outside a strip club, in a school/college...or some other place?

29 comments

• bvino
    10 years ago
    In your own home most likely
  • Experimental
    10 years ago
    I would guess the grocery store or maybe daycare center. So many people have guns in the USA nowadays they carry them around same as they would a purse or wallet. Any little dispute and out come the guns. Why we probably have over a million shootings a day but for some reason the vast majority of them aren't reported by media.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I Googled that question and got this:

School shootings are statistically rare.

With an average of 300 shootings every day, it should be no surprise that a few of them occur in or near schools. According to FBI crime statistics, most homicides, including most multi-victim homicides, occur in homes, not schools. There are more mass shootings in restaurants than in schools, but no one has called for waitpersons to carry guns. Children are almost 100 times more likely to be murdered outside of school than at school, which makes massive expenditures for school building security seem like a misallocation of tax dollars.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    In your own home, with your own gun.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Inside the bedroom of a woman with a jealous husband.
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    I believe that is correct, and that it will usually have been done by a family member, either in an argument or in a case of fear and mistaken identity.

But as Michael Moore goes into in his film, Bowling for Columbine, lots of people just love their guns. They love holding them and caressing them and the gun makes them feel so safe.

Of course my own view is that much of this fear and love of guns originated in the need to put down slave revolts. For example Nat Turner's in Virginia in 1831, and then the one John Brown attempted to start at Harper's Ferry in 1859.

People were afraid of a revolt of the type which created the nation of Haiti, corresponding with the French Revolution. There the ratio of black slaves to white owners was 10 to 1.

Well there were places in both Mississippi and in South Carolina where the ratio was that high. So the ideology of slavery was the most deeply entrenched there, as would later be the doctrine of White Supremacy. South Carolina and then Mississippi were also the first states to attempt succession in order to perpetuate slavery.

People feel that they need a gun in order to be safe, or that that makes them safe, because they believe that there are people running around who are so disenfranchised that they have absolutely nothing to lose. The origins of this are racial.

SJG
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    300 every day !! holy shit, in one YEAR we have less than 50 on average. But then, we can't own/carry them like you can.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Chicago.

2589 shooting victims in 2014. Highest concentration on the southside and westside
  • pensionking
    10 years ago
    Ferguson, MO police station
  • 4got2wipe
    10 years ago
    Your house if you're not an idiot with your guns! Being not brilliant with a gun is, well, not brilliant!
  • 4got2wipe
    10 years ago
    And stay out of the war zone in Chicago! War zone = not brilliant! If you don't watch out you'll be cleaning a gunshot wound with listermint!
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Maybe things have cooled off, but it used to be if you were a Crip or a Blood (gangsters), the odds of being shot anywhere were off the charts.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    Mikey's point is probably the most relevant. Its not about "where" you're likely to get shot, its more about "why." Sure, a nonzero amount of victims are stray bullets/crossfire type hits related to location, but there is a substantially stronger correlation between a lot of other things besides location and or gun ownership. For example, I'm fairly confident individuals who's trade is related to the illicit drug trade are substantially higher than those in any other trade. It's also quite likely that those who engage in breaking & entering or other larcenous activities are high on that list as well. Both are certainly higher than the subset of the population who attend grade-school or university. Even in the cases of the school shootings, I'd wager the percentage of those engaged in bullying or other similar activities being shot than those who aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its right to shoot a kid for giving another kid a swirly and calling him names, I'm not even saying that statistics aren't useful in the debate. I am however saying, that we need to use common sense as well as proper analysis of those statistics for them to be useful. Correlation does not equal causation. Correlation: 100% of people who breathe die. Causation: 100% of people who don't breathe die.
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    excluding suicides... "Gun-related violence is most common in poor urban areas"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violenc…
    whether or not that is where the clubs are that you frequent is another matter

• EarlTee
    10 years ago
    Where am I most likely to be shot? In the back.
  • IHearVoices
    10 years ago
    My guess would be outside a regular dance club: lots more people, usually lots more fights. Other than the place that used to be here, I don't think I've ever seen a fight in a SC. Regular club: totally different story. People can't take beatdowns like men anymore and bring the heat.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    "Where are you more likely to be shot ?"

In my case, the foot.
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    SJG - what's your view on guns being phallic symbols for many men who are most happy when they've got the biggest baddest firearm? Put on your Shrink hat and explain how our sexuality is enhanced by guns.
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    ^^^ @gawker that would be the relationship of sex and power....yes!!!!

I got one right!!!
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    @Londonguy ...I've been to Lewisham, think I'd take my chances in Chi-town
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    wait a minute....

I said if you douse your privates with listermint immediately after sexual contact with a suspect stripper you will prevent any infectious disease... I don't think listermint will cure a gunshot wound. May disinfect it, but that's about it! lol
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    My answer about where you are most likely to get shot? in a bad neighborhood.
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    @GACA, what on earth took you to that hell hole?
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    @Londonguy. Tk Max :)
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    ...and quite honestly I didn't understand that I wasn't supposed to go past zone 2
  • 4got2wipe
    10 years ago
    Shailynn - "I said if you douse your privates with listermint immediately after sexual contact with a suspect stripper you will prevent any infectious disease... I don't think listermint will cure a gunshot wound. May disinfect it, but that's about it! lol"

Well, I still recommend getting yourself to a hospital but that listermint stuff is pretty brilliant! Maybe it can cure a gunshot!
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    Yup: in your own home with your own gun. Usually by a family member. Too many gun owners are really stupid about gun safety, and have had little to no training on situations that involves firearms.
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    Londonguy and the rest of you pull your collective heads out of your asses. England has a Higher Murder Rate than the USA. Yes there are less shootings reported because the murders in Britain occur in home invasions and the invader simply stabs or bludgeons the resident to death or they bash in the head of a person on the street to rob them because they KNOW they are not allowed to defend themselves.
    FACT: In areas that have changed to allow firearms for personal protection violent crime has precipitously fallen. Home invasions, armed robbery, strong arm robbery, muggings, murders, and RAPE all drop when the people arm armed. Criminals do not know who is armed and being lazy cowards chose other places to victimize.

We the People of the United States left the oppression and jealous cowards of Europe & elsewhere to be able to work and defend ourselves and it has stuck in the throat of the rest of the elitist ruling class around the world ever since. It really pisses them off that they have tried many times to subjugate US and have yet to be successful. They now feel they are very close with the current treasonous administration is pushing to abrogate the Constitution. He was taught at Haaahvard (the worthless stink hole that has been riding on past reputation for 50 years) that the Constitution is outdated and should be abandoned. When you do research as to why the Constitution was written as restrictive as it was it is because the constructors knew and warned of (in letters and notes) all government is inherently evil and incestuous therefore must have written ironclad limits otherwise it becomes toxic to everything and everyone but itself.
    "You didn't build that" ??????????????? mentality is pervasive in the septic tank called DC.The government in fact creates NOTHING, it only consumes.
    If you can name one thing that the government has created our produced without taking from someone else to pay for it I will give you a written apology!
    Government is the ultimate legalized pyramid scheme where many at the bottom are forced to pay in at gunpoint so a few can live like kings at the top! The only thing standing between the government taking it all and US becoming slaves to the elite self proclaimed ruling class is the 2nd amendment. No government official deserves respect unless they earn it. They are Employees and should give every voter respect not demand respect at gunpoint like they politicians do now.
    You seriously expect us to trust a government that allows border agents to be murdered for political gains or an ambassador to be murdered and calls it a spontaneous peaceful protest.
    Or an ex first lady that orders one of her former lovers killed in national park so her husband can control the investigation or a dumb-ass Potus that calls ISIS the JV while they cut off the heads of hundreds/thousands of Christians and others who refuse to convert to their barbaric bloody paganism while buying millions of rounds of ammunition and thousands of automatic weapons for his private homeland security army preparing to go to war against the American citizenry.? Or a president that involves US into another Vietnam war with a mid-eastern tyrant that at least was not bothering US. Our involving US in Vietnam to feed the military industrial complex by falsifying an attack by a Sampan on a US destroyer LOL (Gulf Of Tonkin)
    I could go on about the lies the gov't tells to keep us in line but there is not enough band width.
    Suffice it to say England is no safer the we are and have allowed themselves in their cowardice to be stripped naked of all rights in the name of security. But what happens when the government is the one that is the one threatening your security and you have given all your power to protect your self to them because they "told" you it was for your protection.
    All Governments are inherently evil and if government is the answer it MUST be a stupid question
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    As far as why you would get shot, if you have a spouse or a parent who believes they need to keep a loaded gun around, then you stand a much higher chance of getting shot than anyone else. Most of the time it is the teenager coming home drunk and trying to sneak in through the window, or it is a domestic dispute. This is when the gun comes into play.

And yes of course the gun is a phallic symbol for many. They like fondling it and it makes them feel potent.

Now sure, if it were to come to guerilla war, like the one John Brown led in Kansas Territory after pro-Slavery people from Missouri sacked the Free town of Lawrence and killed six, then I would be there armed and taking part.

But otherwise, fondling the gun is a display of impotence. It is kind of like punching pillows in your psycho-therapists office, a display of impotence.

"My parents abused me, but am I going to do anything about it? No of course not. I'm going to punch pillows."

There was this actor Todd Bridges who claimed that he "shot" his abusive father, by shooting at targets on the pistol range. As I see it, no different from punching pillows in the therapists office, a display of impotence.

Guys like to play with guns because they are not able to engage with the basic economic and power injustices which our society runs on.

SJG

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion