tuscl

2014-2015 NFL Season Thread

Ah, this reminds me of Alucard :-(, he started the thread last year and was a huge NFL fan. May he R.I.P.

Well, the season kicks off Thursday with Pack @ Seahawks. This should be a great one, really looking forward to it.

I love clubbing when NFL is on. I mean really, what's better than strippers, football and beer? :-)

Story lines for this season:

-Will Nick Foles continue to play well for the Eagles?

- Will the Seahawks repeat?

- Will the Broncos make it back to the Super Bowl?

- Will the Patriots, who have been in the last 3 AFC title games, finally breakthrough and make another Super Bowl appearance?

Tune in to find out!

108 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Interesting questions. But what's going to happen is the Chargers are going to trick me that they are good, watch all their games, only to watch them choke at the end. ...Again... :(
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Why Los Angeles still does not have an NFL team is the big question.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Motor, they already have 2 MLB teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 NHL teams; there's only so much traffic the 405 can handle
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    LMAO
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    motor,

The bigger question for many is when will Dallas get an NFL team?
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    You forgot:

- Will the Vikings find a Quarterback this year?
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    ^^

No. And Adrian Peterson can't go on forever. Our friend GoVikings might be in for a long season.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Mikey-Haha
    @Clubber-Haha

LA has USC and the USC Song Girls.

The real question is, how many Raiders and Eagles fans will go to jail before the halftime of every game.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Most drunken fans sent to jail goes to Eagles, assaults goes to Raiders.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    @moto AP might be slowing down a bit, but Govikings may have a break out star in Cordarelle Patterson assuming he was able to actually learn the playbook over the offseason.
  • samsung1
    10 years ago
    In columbus ohio it's all about the college level. The clubs are swamped after buckeye home games.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Peterson and Patterson are studs.... So is Rudolph, AP, Jennings... on Def.... Smith, Greenway..... NOw they need Rhodes, Floyd, Cole, Robinson, Griffin, Barr, Munnerlyn. If the Defense can step up and shut down a game....or I mean finish a game. They will make the playoffs and also win the division. Cassel can manage a game and just make right decisions is all he needs to do. Last year they lost or tied 5 games by less than a touch down. So put the shoe on the other foot if they win and close out all of those 5 games they are 10-6 and tied for the division. So I am excited to be a purple fan. Also Teddy Bridgewater looks like he could be the real deal if they let him sit for another year or two.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    Lmao Clubber
    There are just too many Romo jokes to even list here
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sclvr,

Don't be redundant.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    ^^^lol
    my fave Romo joke : "Breaking news: Dallas Cowboy QB Tony Romo got in a barroom brawl in Baltimore last night and when he threw a punch it got intercepted."
  • Duke69
    10 years ago
    49ers !!!
  • pineconepartyliquor
    10 years ago
    I dont think its happening for the broncos this year..... Prater suspended 4 games, now the soft-headed Welker gets 4 games for doing the molly, no Eric Decker to pick up the slack....its not looking good for Denver. Even if they do make the playoffs, the playoff choke artist Peyton Manning will surely blow it once again.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    Patriots,Seahawks.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Agreed, Pats and Seahawks in the big game. With a lot of the Pats star players coming back healthy this year and the addition of Darrelle Revis at corner, the Pats are going to be hard to beat this year.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    I like the Pats for the AFC.....but don't count out Indy. I know Luck is green but he is showing what his potential is and could make some waves. For the NFC.... Everyone thinks Seahawks. It will be interesting how the defense can handle the new rules with bumping and using the hands. If the Refs call these new rules their defense could be not as tough this year. Also don't count out the Packers, Bears, and (gulp...) Giants. They were down last year and Eli is so hot then cold. But those guys have a few rings under their belts and could make it back again.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… Will Nick Foles continue to play well for the Eagles …”

IMO – yes – Philly is more about the head coach and the system – so everyone (players/Foles & coaching staff) having one more season; and one more complete off-season; under their belt; means they are only going to be better IMO.

“… Will the Seahawks repeat …”

They have a good chance IMO – again – it’s about the system there and that tremendous dominating defense – but the 49ers are a very good team and extremely well coached – they can def knock off the Seahawks.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I think Indy takes a step back this year, but Cincy is going to probably be better. Dalton is in year where he has to produce
  • ime
    10 years ago
    "but the 49ers are a very good team and extremely well coached – they can def knock off the Seahawks"

I don't think there defense will be as good as it has been especially with Aldon Smith continually fucking up. Kaepernick is overrated he makes some great plays but his mental game isn't on the level yet.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    ^ yeah – those are some good points – hard to see the 49ers getting better but they *have* gone to 3 straight NFC championship games and would have gone to the Superbowl 3 years ago lest some special team turnovers – and it’s not as if they’ve gotten blown out when they have not made it to the Superbowl – thus hard to count them out but yeah they don’t look like they’ll be better/improved this year.
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    I was just excited that I got p manning and wes welker in my fantasy league. That was, until welker got suspended!
  • skibum609
    10 years ago
    Broncos won't be back. No super bowl loser has in over 30 years. Patriots win it all this year, beating Green Bay in the Super Bowl.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    I actually had Green Bay winning last night. And they were in the game for the first two quarters or so, and then eventually the Seahawks just ran away with it.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Nice start for the Vikings
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Bills won.

Patriots lost. To the Dolphins.

That'll hold me till the end of the season.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Same old Romo, lol
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan and I had to leave the house during the Cowboys game b/c I couldn’t take the mediocrity.

As long as Jerry Jones wants to call the shots; the Cowboys will be an ongoing mediocre soap opera.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… Nice start for the Vikings …”

Yeah – I was surprised – but they do have Norv Turner as offensive coordinator and he has always been a great offensive coordinator but not a very good head coach – so maybe he is an “X factor”
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Surprises so far:

+ KC did not look good after their very good season last year

+ Minnesota over St Louis – I think Jeff Fisher is a great coach and Minnesota had been very inconsistent over the last couple of years

+ Miami over New England – I think NE is depleted talent wise and has not really invested in their talent pool thinking Brady can overcome all – I think it’s starting to catch up w/ them and they may not be the NE of old this year
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    @steve229

I'm a big believer in Romo. To me, he's not the reason Dallas has been so mediocre over the last several years. Sure, he had a terrible game yesterday, but it was against the 9ers defense. The 9ers make a lot of QB's look bad.

The Vikings did well. But I couldn't tell whether the Rams were just that bad offensively or whether we had a good defensive game. That's why I can't wait until next week when we face the Patriots. We'll find out a lot once that game concludes
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    My Houston Texans got a win! I was anticipating us having the worst record in the league again, although it still could happen.

Everyone said the Patriots would be the best or second best team in the AFC, but what they don't realize is Brady is on the decline, it started last year and it reared it's ugly head again against the Dolphins.

Seahawks are gonna repeat, there is no doubt in my mind about that. They won last year without Harvin, and you all see what a weapon Harvin is gonna be this year.

• GoVikings
    10 years ago
    They might, but I wouldn't bet on it because repeating is highly unlikely

Look at how many teams in NFL history have won back to back Superbowls

That will tell you all you need to know
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Ranukam from what I have heard it was the O-Line that played terrible and he didn't have any time, no qb is any good when they get no time. I was traveling all day yesterday and most of today so I didn't see the game so I can't say for sure.

I don't know about repeating its way to early to tell, they looked good but its September. Anyone who watches football knows its the team that is playing the best at the end of the year who has the best shot, ie, giants, ravens etc.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    @GoVikings - I think Romo is physically talented but he makes a lot of mental mistakes, and bad decisions when the game is on the line. If they want to win at all this year he is going to have to be his best. The Dallas D has a roster that worse than some SEC teams.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    ^^^Injuries are the reasons teams don't repeat. I don't think anyone is even close to Seattle right now. Russell Wilson is just going to get better, their defense is still the best. If they don't lose any of their key players to season ending injuries they will repeat no doubt.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    it's not just injuries, honestly its mostly coaching. There has been many times a team with a lesser roster has won. Every team has injuries, depth is what is really important.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I will give Brady and the Patriots credit though for last year. I have no idea how they won 12 games and got to the AFC championship last year. Their defense wasn't great, their running game wasn't great. Gronk was out, Amendola was in and out. Freaking Julian Edelman was their number one receiver, on any other team he'd be the the third or fourth receiver. Maybe playing in the shitty ass division known as the AFC East helps. Every year people pick Patriots to win it all, but I'm not sure if they realize the Patriots haven't won a title in 10 years.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    @GoVikings - Adrian Peterson - WTF?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Jesus HP Lovecraft, what the h-e double hockey sticks is going on with the Raiders. I'm almost embarrassed to be a fan.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    @steve229- yeah, the peterson thing was a shell shock. We'll see how it turns out.

Today the Vikings actually surprised me. I thought we we're going to get blown the fuck out. I know it's only been three games, but our defense, compared to last year, looks a lot better.

Bridgewater did really good for his first game. He came in and gave our offense a boost. We just didn't get anything from our run game. Never thought I'd be saying that.

• rickdugan
    10 years ago
    @ranukam: Brady may be on the decline, but an underperforming offensive line is not helping. Miami was all over him in week one and they had to put 6 guys on the line last week just to protect him from the Vikings. Then, once again this week, he was getting pressure from 4 man rushes. Things are seriously fucked up when Miami and Oakland can keep putting enough pressure on Brady with 4 man rushes that he can't work his check downs.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Bridgewater doing good for his first start
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    What games(s) yall watching???
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Pats v Bills, all the other games during commercials the NFL Sunday Ticket is the shit.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    At least the Patriots aren't rolling over them like I the past. Yet.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Buffalo has a great defensive line. Pats can't get any cohesion on offensive line due to injuries which is a bad combination.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    ime,

I tried the NFL package many years ago when it first came out. I found it almost useless. First off little interest in most games other than a score update. And the few I was interested in, always seemed to just miss "the" play. Also, difficult to keep focus with 3 or 4 games going on. The other big thing, since I was at JRS many Sundays, I couldn't even use it. Just my opinion.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    when you have bets and stuff on other games it helps you keep track of stuff a bit, I really have it just so I can always watch my team. It works out being cheaper and healthier than going to bars etc.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    As ime notes, NFL Sunday Ticket is essential if you need to follow an out of town team, or just if you want to ensure you have a good game to watch. If I didn't have it, I would be stuck watching Redskins games.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    steve,

I can agree with the out of town team thing, but that was never a concern for me. And as for betting, once you bet, watching will never change your result, but can always piss you off.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    @steve229--- I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. I go to Buffalo Wild Wings to see the game.

@ime- Having NFL Sunday Ticket probably is healthier than going to bars and eating what they have on their menu. But I don't know if its cheaper, all depends on what you order each week
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Sunday Ticket works out to $20 per week over the season (or about the cost of a lap dance)
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I spoke too soon.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    steve229...I always spend less than that each week. I like to drink, but I don't drink too much at bars because of how fast it adds up.

Another reason I prefer going to the bar over having NFL Sunday Ticket and watching at home...is because when you go to the same bar every week...you meet other cool ppl who root for the same team you do.

I will say this though. One plus to having NFL Subday Ticket at home is that you can actually hear the game. At a bar you can't hear it unless they have your game on the main TV
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    So Cowboys win IN Seattle

Rodgers puts together very impressive game winning TD drive for Pack.

We get a game that ended in a tie between the Panthers and Bengals

It's early, but Rivers is MVP at this point.

Sunday Night game about to start!!!
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I am in this online pickem contest its free but you can win prizes. Its picking straight up winners but as of now I am in 11th place out of 6,324 people. not counting games not played yet this week or in process I am 63/88 for season. It makes games that your not watching a little more interesting to follow. There is no other sport I like enough to do stuff like this for.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    I'm a football guy all the way, but DAMN, there have been some kick ass BB games!
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    ime...who's your team?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Pats
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    I'm finna go to Buffalo Wild Wings and we play Buffalo today...isn't that something

What games yall bout to watch?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Bills are tough at home could be a good game.

I got Atlanta v Baltimore for the early game as the main one. Then KC vs SD as the afternoon game as the ones I am most interested in.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @GoVikings: I'm watching the Buffalo game as well. I suspect I'm hoping for a different result than you are, though. :)

Sadly, I expect to be disappointed.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Rams upset the reeling Seahawks, thanks to TWO trick plays on special teams
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Well, I have to admit, I am surprised that the Bills pulled it out in the clutch like that. Gratified, but surprised.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    george--I didn't have us winning today--but I'll admit I'm a pessimist.

Our offense was just too shitty. Defense eventually gets tired because they're on the field alllll game long.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @GV: And I would say the same thing about the Bills' defense. :)
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    @mikey - what happened to the Chargers? Got beat by the Chiefs 12yo kicker? And now they face the Broncos Thursday night on a short week?
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    The Lions playing the Falcons in London today, so game is starting at 09:30 ET

Now I really can watch football all day!
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    @steve229- lol yeah, its cool having a morning NFL game.

The Vikings usually aren't too good on the road, but I think they'll pull out the win today. We're due for a win and Tampa is pretty bad defensively.

• steve229
    10 years ago
    Exciting game from London. I was hoping for a soccer style hooligan riot at the end, but no such luck
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Of course not, steve. Everyone knows that all American football fans are refined, civilized fans! Well, except for the Raiders and everybody except Detroit fans in NFC North ..... ;)
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    @GoVikings - nice OT win by your Viks
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Yeah steve....Anthony Barr has been impressive all year long
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Vikings vs Redskins (both OT winners last week) face each other today. will RG3 be the difference?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Doubt it apparantly his whole team doesnt like him
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "apparently his whole team doesnt like him"

I wonder why? Not black enough? Oh, wait, that's Russell Wilson
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Our offenses needs to WAKE UP!!
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    @mikey - what's wrong with your Chargers?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    @steve not sure if it is about his blackness, they just mentioned on some pregame show
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Vikings on bye----what am I suppose to do with my Sunday?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I'm glad Pats are on a bye this week, my direct tv is out, totally out which sucks
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Here we go!!!
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    What games ya'll watching?
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I think Denver is done. It's still early but if they don't have homefield advantage for Playoffs I don't think they make a real run. Have to give the Rams D credit they have been good this year.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Lions didn't show up today
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Patriots vs Packers next Sunday - looks like a Super Bowl preview
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Lions got shut down today
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    NE vs Det – separating the men from the boys
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    What games ya'll watching?
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Watched Miami-Baltimore. A doubly bad loss for me. First of all, my wife is a major Fish Fan and will be in a serious funk until they win against. Second, they are in the AFC north with my beloved Stiller's. On the good side, the Steelers kicked the Bengals collective butt after a slow start.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I'm gonna say it again, the Seattle Seahawks will repeat as Super Bowl champions.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    The Vikings came close to having an even record with the 49ers. Which just shows how bad San Frans season has been. Chargers kept their hopes alive.

And of course the NFL South will send a 7-9 team to the playoffs.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    A pretty good day for me yesterday. My Stiller's won and cemented a playoff berth. The Ravens lost (always a good thing!) and the Lions won.

The Dolphins also won with a come from behind win that has my wife floating on air. Only bad thing is that my Steelers win bounced the Fish from any playoff hopes.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Bridgewater has improved as the weeks have passed. Not sold on him yet, I'm more optimistic than pessimistic that he can be our long term answer at QB
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    ATAC,

Some dolphins are fish, but the bottle nosed one is a mammal.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    True that, clubber, but one of the "official" (used by Florida sportscasters is the Fish. I don't think any of those guys to know much marine biology!

;-D
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Jeez. Should have read "guys know much". Sadly, I can't even blame autocorrect for that one.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @Clubber: It's kind of fun to go I to one of the local seafood places and say, "I'll have the dolphin today."

Mostly it's other customers who react, but I once got one of the wait staff to very nastily tell me that "We *don't* serve that here, sir!" At which point I pointed to it on the menu.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    gmd,

Mahi-mahi. :)
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    ATAC,

Don't recall any locals using Fish, but that doesn't mean they don't. Just one of those things in life that twist my britches a bit.

Might be an analogy, calling the Colts the Donkeys. Same domain, but not the same.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @Clubber: Yup! :)
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Colts vs Bengals on now
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Bengals didn't so well at all.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    How bout them Cowboys!!!

They probably got a bit lucky on a few calls but it was Detroit’s game to lose based on the first half.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion