tuscl

Favorite Zoos

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:29 AM
I've never been to the San Diego Zoo but it wins on reputation alone. My favorite zoos in the Midwest The St. Louis Zoo Brookfield Zoo in Chicago The Indianapolis Zoo

21 comments

• shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia SC is better than the ones in Atlanta or Birmingham.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    TheSan Diego Zoo (for size & number of animals) The National Zoo in DC (my SB and I will be there next weekend for baby panda Bao Bao's first birthday celebration, lol) Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colo Sprgs, CO (unique mountain location)
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    My favorite that I have been to is the San Diego zoo. My other favorite involving animals is Shedd Aquarium im Chicago.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    The only zoo that I know is the Calgary Zoo. It has a stunning location - St. George's Island in the middle of the Bow River. I have some philosophical differences with the concept of zoos. I have spent a good part of my life working in the wilds of North America, the deserts of North Africa and Saudi Arabia, and the jungles of Borneo. Observing wildlife in its natural habitats has been a great pleasure for me. Even though I have had some terrifying up close encounters with dangerous animals I have never lost the joy of observing the big mammals or the fascinating birds doing what they do naturally. Not so much pleasure in experiencing the bugs. One of the more stunning wildlife moments for me was seeing a polar bear out on the Beaufort Sea ice during my winter on a drill ship. Seeing those same magnificent bears in an enclosure at the Calgary Zoo just filled me with sadness. After finally seeing a cougar a few years ago, the wolverine is the North American mammal I would most like to see in the wild.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    The Berlin Zoo was my favorite. I also went to a zoo near Sydney in Australia that was incredible simply for having some different animals. Philadelphia zoo is probably the nicest I've been to in this country but that's been some years. I hear what you're saying Art, on of the saddest things I've ever seen was a polar bear in the Berlin Zoo. It was alone and obviously unhappy with it's existence. That said I think zoo's generally do more good than bad and they give most people a chance to see animals they otherwise never would.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Art, I fully agree with you about the concept of zoos. When the Indianapolis zoo was built sometime in the early 80's, they were one of the first zoos to abandon cages and embrace the notion of "natural" habitats. The animals of a given ecosystem were placed together with vegetation to the extent climate and safety would allow.
  • Corvus
    10 years ago
    While they serve some purpose, for the most part I dislike zoos. Just as Art says above, nothing better than observing those critters in nature. I've seen cougars many times in the wild, seeing them in a cage is depressing. Predators are much more exciting to see running free. Just like strippers.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I did not know there were zoos in the midwest. jk....there's also a nice aquarium here. The Birch Aquarium at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. About 60 or so tanks.
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    P.T. Barnum was famous for his side shows and animal exhibits. He ran into a problem as people would linger to watch the animals, so he made large signs for each exhibit such as The Tigress, The Lioness, etc. then he placed a large sign saying this way to see the Egress. People flocked past the familiar animals to see the mysterious Egress and quickly, the rubes found themselves out the back door - the egress.
  • samsung1
    10 years ago
    Toledo, columbus, and Cincinnati I have read have nice zoos
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is pretty good
  • grand1511
    10 years ago
    Columbus, Minnesota, San Diego
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc, I went to Riverbanks when it was brand new and a few years later. Was still pretty nice. Really a bad location since the room they have is just that, the room they have. Atalanta was fine. We have a pretty decent one here, but pretty much had to start over after hurricane andrew. One of by bar friends works there and really has some cool things to say. Once told me how she disposed of a dead elephant. Funny story.
  • jabthehut
    10 years ago
    In order: National - My mother would drop us kids off there back in the 50's San Diego - was there about 15 years ago Miami - went there with my kids about 30 years ago Atlanta - was last there about 6 months ago Atlanta was the best trip 'cause I went with my 2 yo grandson!
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I hate zoos and Sea World. Best wildlife moment for me was out boogie boarding when a shark ate a seal nearby. I quickly paddled to shore.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    In Jacksonville FL someone caught a 700 pound hammerhead fishing off of the pier. Another friend of mine was sailing his Hobie 14, saw a fin and decided to sail over to investigate. As he sailed alongside, he realized that the shark overlapped his boat at BOTH ends. He told us that he meekly got the hell out of Dodge before the shark decided to investigate him. Sometimes big predators out in the wild can be a bit too real!
  • penname
    10 years ago
    Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. [view link]
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    I'm not much of a zoo visitor, but many people rave about the Henry Doorly Zoo here in Omaha. I personally think it's good, but the best zoo in the world? I don't know that one. I do feel safe in saying it is better than the Sioux Falls Zoo, FWIW.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Clubber - The best part of the Riverbanks Zoo is that it is only 5 minutes from Platinum Plus by car. You could walk it. LOL.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc, But it was never as Dazzling as PP. :) I had no dea it was that close.
  • Joker420
    10 years ago
    Greenville and Columbia South Carolina zooos
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion