tuscl

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:41 PM
Hall & Oates and Nirvana made it in. To me, Nirvana did one memorable song, and Hall & Oates sang a few catchy songs. Don't agree with this. Am I wrong?

23 comments

• 3LeggedMan
    11 years ago
    H&O barely qualifies as "music" and definitely not "rock and roll". What's next, Air Supply? I'm not big into grunge but Nirvana could be fame-worthy.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    All a matter of taste and opinion.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    OTOH, they finally got smart and put KISS in. KISS should have been in the moment they became eligible. Nirvana had more than one memorable song, but the one memorable song eliminated all the hair metal from the radio singlehandedly. To be honest, I've been to a fair number of museums, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was the most disappointing one. There's also too much behind the scenes politics there, and there are too many writers who don't know anything who have a vote. Basically, all the hard rock and heavy metal bands have to wait forever to get in.
  • Tyres
    11 years ago
    I don't know if I've been to any Hall of Fame that wasn't disappointing. Nirvana, because of where they fit historically & culturally, probably deserves it. They were one of the first "alternative" bands that got heavy radio rotation, even though that was due to dumb luck. Their music certainly hasn't aged very well, though. Had Cobain not committed suicide, they probably would have slid back into obscurity eventually.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Hall & Oates - not deserving of the HOF. A ton of home runs does not qualify you for the HOF if the overall product stinks. See Dave Kingman.
  • Digitech
    11 years ago
    Nirvana is hugely overrated. Hall and Oates are more deserving in my opinion.
  • 10inches
    11 years ago
    HOF has quite a few questionable acts already in. george clinton --really?
  • yndy
    11 years ago
    Induction-wise, it's more of a Pop Music HoF. I do like at least some of the music of all the picks, but disappointed my fave band not chosen. Peter Gabriel already inducted w/Genesis. Why not give someone else the honor?
  • carl95
    11 years ago
    YES should have made the cut. It would have been cool to see Deep Purple get the nod also.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Those two, no. KISS, yes. Peter Gabriel, OK. Linda Ronstadt, of course. She was pretty hot in her time. at least to me. Made out with the SO the first time to her and some damn ponys singing about drums. :) Cat Steven, nope. They should clear all future inductees through TUSCL!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I agree with Yndy the it's become a Pop Music HOF these days. From my point of view, KISS was too gimmicky with just a couple of note worthy songs. Although not Rock and Roll, Cat Stevens blows KISS out of the water. Their catalog of hits can't touch Cat's.
  • rattdog
    11 years ago
    if nirvana made it w/one classic song, then purple should no doubt be in-smoke in the water -hello?
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Nirvana sucked ass.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Hey Motor, I haven't checked, but is Ted Nugent in?
  • AnonymousJim
    11 years ago
    What are the selection criteria for the hall? Because I think we're to a point now where there aren't necessarily going to be five worthy bands to put in every year. I really don't think every year produces five HOF-worthy bands. In a very, very broad spectrum of "rock," i.e. all artists who came after Bill Haley who didn't just play the same music that came before him (so I'm including hip hop and all its derivatives), Hall-worthy bands should probably be limited to those who either changed the game, like Nirvana, or showed an exceptional level of prowess, like Van Halen for Eddie's technique or Rush for Neal Pert's drumming. As such, obviously, even though I hate grunge, I think Nirvana belongs because of how it changed the game. Hall & Oates? Soft rock was around before and while some of their grooves endured, I can't really apply either of my criteria to them. Peter Gabriel? Makes it for the video for "Sledgehammer" alone as that was a game-changer. Same reason Robert Palmer belongs. Both are Hall & Oates contemporaries and I'd make the case for either of them before Hall & Oates.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    mikey, No Ted Nugent. But neither is Rush, REO Speedwagon, Styx or Journey. Yet Hall & Oates is in. Curious.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    ^^^^ Boggles the mind. Who gets in next? Wham? A Flock of Seagulls?
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    @motorhead- Rush made it last year. @yndy- I would personally think its also a Singer/Songwriter Hall of Fame. @SlickSpic- I don't know that KISS's music was great, but they inspired many, many musicians to take up making music, plus they had the ultimate gimmick, which itself was imitated. @rattdog- Deep Purple came up with the ultimate guitar riff, so of course, they should be in. They were also supposedly the loudest band ever, which has to count for something. But they weren't going to put both them and KISS in at the same time. @AnonymousJim- The criteria for making the RnR HOF is to kiss the ass of all the music critics out there. Unfortunately, they all look like Elvis Costello, or so somebody from the hard rock realm said. You also had to release your first album a minimum of 25 years ago.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    I think a reason KISS had to wait is that the idea of KISS is great but KISS itself sucks. Even as a kid I loved the idea of freaky ass rockers dressing up like a Demon, Starchild, Space Ace, and Cat (well, the cat was kind of stupid) but then you listen and most of their record is shit. Yes, you get a few cuts that are OK. But really...most KISS is crap. If they didn't have the make-up, blood, explosions, and shit like that nobody would listen to them IMO.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    DandyDan Thanks for the info on Rush. I knew for years they were unjustly denied their place. I forgot they got in last year.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Unless you grew up in the 70's you cannot understand the impact that Kiss had. They changed rock and roll shows forever. We were thrilled in 1976 to get tickets to see Black Sabbath in their prime and they were great. They of course got blown away by their backup band, whom we all agreed might actually turn out to be something in the future. Kiss was special then and deserves to be in now. Best back up band I ever saw.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    To me, Kiss influenced a bunch of crappy musicians to come up with a gimmick. The 70's had the greatest bands ever and Kiss was way down on the list.
  • carl95
    11 years ago
    mikeya02: "^^^^ Boggles the mind. Who gets in next? Wham? A Flock of Seagulls?" I think Green Day is a lock for a first year eligible induction come next year. Probably Tom Petty too even though he's already in with the Heartbreakers. (They do love to waste a nom on someone who is already a member) With the track record of the nomination committee Nine Inch Nails wont get a first year nom. I'm pulling for Alice In Chains for '15. If you're wondering here are links for upcoming and already eligible artist... and a snub list: [view link] [view link] [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion