tuscl

Video Games of Your Youth

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
This question of probably only relevant to the GenX and Millennials or the board.

What was some of your favorite video games as a child/teenager/college student?

Arch Rivals basketball game, in the arcade and later on Super Nintendo.

Spy Hunter, in the arcade. All other Nintendo versions sucked.

Just about any race car game.

36 comments

• Tetradon
    2 years ago
    The older Final Fantasy and Zelda games as a kid/teen.
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    Sadly, PONG.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    The first one I ever played. Asteroids on the Atari 2600.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    https://youtu.be/6QYNlPLzj90

Or their favorite pinball machines.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I played grand as a kid. Never been into video games much though
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    I have too many to list. Based on the most hours played here's my list:

NHL '95 (SNES)
    Tecmo Bowl (Nintendo)
    Double Dribble (Nintendo)
    Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
    Archon 1&2 (Commodore 64)
    Spy vs Spy (Commodore 64)
    Combat (Atari)
    Adventure (Atari)
    Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man (arcade)
    Space Invaders (arcade)
    Galaxian (arcade)
    Galaga (arcade)
    Street Fighter (arcade)
    Karate Champ (arcade)
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    Blades of Steel (Nintendo)
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    The first ones were at the arcade. Street fighter and Mortal Combat were the big ones for me starting out. But I haven't played a video game in a while now.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Pong. Blades of steel was awesome. Lee Trevino fighting golf. Galaga.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    Pin ball.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Zelda (original) (NES)
    Mega Man 2 (NES)
    Rush n' Attack (arcade)
    Blades of Steel (arcade)
    Hard Drivin' (arcade)
    Pole Position (arcade)
    NHL 95 (Sega Genesis)

Those are just a few.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    It’s funny I play a video game twice a year nowadays…

A few years ago I downloaded an emulator and some old games on my computer thinking it would be awesome, and it’s like “ugh these are boring 20-40 years later!)
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    ^ I actually have the NES Classic, which was a gift from a client. I was more like "damn, these games are so much harder than I remember!"
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    I played video games but wasn't hardcore about it - in the 90s I mostly played the Nintendo sports games (football; basketball; tennis; baseball; hockey; racing/car games) - in the 80s I played arcade games like Track&Field; Pole Position; and Defender.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    I’m with you crosscheck. I’m thinking either I’m older and move slower or the controllers don’t work as well as the old ones.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    Got an Atari 2600 when I was six, had Moon Patrol and Jungle Hunt. And then through elementary and high school:

Nintendo:
    Bases Loaded 2
    NES Playaction Football
    Ice Hockey
    Super Mario Bros.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Little League Baseball

SNES:
    Super Mario World
    Mario Kart
    NBA Jam
    NHL Stanley Cup
    Aladdin
    NBA Live 95

Arcade:
    Galaga (still love it)
    Final Fight
    NBA Jam
    Operation Wolf
    Afterburner
    Spy Hunter
    I was HORRIBLE at the fighting games like SF2 and MK

Genesis (if at a buddy's):
    NHLPA 93

Playstation:
    Metal Gear Solid
    NFL GameDay 99

In my 20s I bought a PS2 and dug GTA San Andreas. It was fun to bang the hookers to get your health stats up, then kill 'em and steal the money.

2020 I bought a couple things to play old games. One is an emulator thing with like 23000 games, acrylic board with buttons and joysticks like an arcade. And then bought a system that plays the old NES, SNES, and Genesis cartridges. It's been fun playing Mike Tyson's Punch out and Super Mario Kart.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    ^ How did you like the emulator? I’ve been on the fence on buying one of those for a long time. I still have a new Xbox in the box, haven’t set it up yet.
  • woodstock
    2 years ago
    Pinball, Pong, Galaxian, Gorf, Galaga
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Btw anybody get a new Xbox or PS5 yet? I’m still waiting. I saw one at PC Richard but they make you buy a bunch of shit with it for like $750 total. Eh fuck that. What’s another year. I would play that new Halo though.
  • ATACdawg
    2 years ago
    Pong for me as well, when it showed up in the local bar when I was in college. Drinking age was 18 and I was 20.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Muddy - The newest game system I bought was Playstation 2. The games, particularly the sports games like football and hockey got so complicated to play, I just didn't find it enjoyable anymore.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    1980s, Atari 400/800/1200XL - centipede, miner 49er, frogger, qbert

Nintendo NES- LifeForce, Double Dragon, TMNT the Arcade Game

Playstation- I don't really recall

XboX - HALO, CoD
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Pong was the only video game I’d ever seen until a video arcade opened up my junior year in college.

Asteroids, Space Invaders and the shooting gallery game with ducks was the only games I remember they had.

It was novel fun for several weeks
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    My parents actuallybhad the old original home pong console. Maybe it was a premium version since two people could play Pong Tennis.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    My youth ? Pac Man and Ms Pac Man.
  • georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    Gunship
    Rogue
    Railroad Tycoon
    Lunar Lander (Atari 800)
    Bard's Tale
    Harpoon
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    robotron
    galaxian
    missile command
    arkanoid
    tetris
    gorf
    all the pac man games
    mario brothers
    kaboom
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    @ shailynn

This is the emulator / arcade thing. I did wifi upgrade one to download games that weren't on it. It's pretty cool...easy set up, and you can get a couple remotes to play four-player games like NBA Jam or The Simpsons or something. Really easy to set up, too. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but almost any game I could think of is on there... can't save games, though as far as I know. And...a couple that I've tried didn't work. I was bummed when Pole Position didn't work.

https://homeretrogaming.com/

And this one I got from Amazon. I had found some old NES and SNES cartridges in the garage, no idea I still had them. Bought this for $90, and the games still work. Plus Genesis, all in one console.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079C6C1RX/ref…

If that link doesn't work, it's super retro trio on Amazon.

And you can get refurbished games and systems from this place called DK Oldies. I've bought a handful of games from them, like Tyson's Punch Out, NHL 98, and Tecmo Bowl...no issues whatsoever, all work perfectly (knock on wood).

I don't play the stuff very often, but shit, it was 2020, there were no sports...I was bored as hell.

https://www.dkoldies.com/
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    I never got much into "home" video games as the graphics and overall experience were never any good until I was in my late 30's, and by then I had no time for it. I was the first kid on my block to get ColecoVision which was okay, but no substitute for playing baseball. Good for rainy days. I had Zaxxon and another game I can't remember. So I'll list my top-10 "arcade" games (like you put a quarter in to play). Mostly played these during my high school years from 1980-84.

1. Deluxe Asteroids
    2. Reactor
    3. Moon Patrol
    4. Pole Position
    5. Spy Hunter
    6. ANY good pinball machine
    7. Missile Command
    8. Tron
    9. (original) Donkey Kong
    10.(original) Pac Man

Honorable mention (arcade): Big Buck Hunter - Didn't become aware of it until my kids got me to play it, so way beyond my gaming days.

Home systems: Long time ago, PS2 or whatever, but my buddies were playing video games while I was working 70 hours a week. I rarely participated but I was awesome at Ready2Rumble. My character was Lulu Valentine and I could kick anybody's ass.

The coolest pinball machine was Elton John - Captain Fantastic. That was when I was a little kid and didn't know he was a faggot. Now everyone knows he's a gay, and it's still cool. Elton John is still a badass, gay or whatever.

Funny how things change, like suddenly it's okay to fuck a guy up the ass. What kind of world are we living in? I wonder if Elton is the giver or the taker. Whatever, his music is great, but homo stuff not so good.

Hey, I don't give a shit what gets you off. You wanna fuck a guy in the ass, go for it. Just do it quietly. Nobody needs to know you're a faggot. Believe me, I'm into some pretty weird (heterosexual) stuff, but I don't want to advertise it, or take a stand that everyone should accept the freaky shit I do.

What the hell is wrong with homos? More importantly, what's wrong with society trying to make it "mainstream" and all the "trans" crap. What?... Get da fuck outta here.

Okay, yeah, this is a drunken rant, but I stand by every word. I'm not so fucked up that I don't know right from wrong. I don't want to prohibit "doing wrong" but just keep it to yourself you queer fuckers.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    When I was young I was sure Elton John was parting the pink sea with Kiki Dee. He tuned out to be just another mad man across the water.
  • mike710
    2 years ago
    Don't go breaking my heart Motor.
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    Super Mario Brothers

Duck Hunt

Rad Racer
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    georgeu:
    Railroad Tycoon
    Harpoon

Me too in college. Others from that era I had were Civilization and Empire.

Before that I only had an Atari 2600. So the usual popular arcade ports:
    Space Invaders
    Asteroids
    Missile Command
    Frogger
    Pac-man and Ms. Pac-man
    Defender
    Centipede and Millipede
    Berzerk

and other games:
    Bowling
    Basketball
    Warlords
    Pitfall
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    Does the handheld Mattel football game with the red blips count as a video game?
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    ^ LOL - I forgot about that one - I didn't have one but my friend did and he'd let me borrow it - another friend had an Intelevision console that was also made by Mattel
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    ^ Oh yeah, that was great. There were two versions - the original was white color, and then Football II came out, it was green and had more features like backward motion and passing. There was also a trick where if you held down one of the buttons while you turned it on, Pro 1 and Pro 2 became faster as if they were Pro 3 and 4. The fastest setting was near impossible, even for kids who probably had over a thousand hours on the game! Lol

Apparently Mattel has reintroduced both versions. They are for sale on Amazon for $125 and $150. https://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Classic-Fo…

If you read the reviews, the game is similar but not exactly the same. Don't know why they'd bother to manufacture it again, but make it different, and evidently not as good. Especially for that ridiculous price. You can find the original games on E-bay for around $20 bucks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion