tuscl

Vehicles - What Could You See Yourself Buying?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Let’s face it, most of us aren’t probably buying a new car in the near future, but if you were what would you be looking to buy? Do you have plans on buying something down the road? Pick up truck, SUV, sports car, EV?

Here’s 2 cool SUVs I never would have thought I’d be interested in:

Genesis GV70 - this is being touted as one of the best interiors on the market today. Red with carbon fiber and aluminum buttons instead of plastic. There’s a bunch of YouTube videos reviewing this interior and I’d challenged anyone to find a better interior at that price point. I think Mercedes’ E Class and up could compete as well as Porsche/Audi (pretty much share the same interior) but most of those models sell at a higher price point.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-…

Acura MDX Type-S

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp367…

My last 5 vehicles (4 SUV 1 car) have been 3 German, 1 British and 1 Japanese. All have been a maintenance headache except the Japanese. I wouldn’t mind going back to that for my next vehicle.

101 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    New cars these days leave me cold, to be honest. I prefer classic trucks. What I'd really like to do is restore a mid 1940s Dodge Power Wagon. It would have to be some degree of restoration, because finding and buying one in good shape is incredibly expensive.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I'm probably going to be replacing my wife's vehicle in the next 6 months. She likes SUV's and has expressed interest in getting a hybrid. I have checked and our current SUV has a lot bigger trade-in value than I thought it would. I think the problem going to be actually finding the new car.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I drive too much and in urban environments for a truck to be feasible for me at the moment. Not opposed to one but it would hurt me on the gas and you gotta parallel park the fucking thing. And I put a ton of miles on my car.
  • Ulrik79
    3 years ago
    I have a Bronco Wildtrak in production right now. Hoping it hits the dealer next week or the following week
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    A Stewart & Stevenson LMTV M1079 military truck, the love of my life saw one at an Army National Guard Place and said “we should get one to use it as an RV so we can go “camping”
  • TFP
    3 years ago
    Definitely getting an EV for my next car. Thinking a Tesla model Y. But like you said, I'm not getting that anytime soon with what car prices are doing now.

Funny thing is, Shailynn you mentioned the Acura MDX type S. I have a 2016 MDX and when I first got it five years ago I loved it. However I like the 2020 A-Specs more than the 2022 S type. What do you like more about the S type?
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    —>“New cars these days leave me cold, to be honest.”

Really? I honestly like the safety features of newer cars. But then again, I have very boring preferences. Cars for me are just to get from point A to point B and preferably the rear seats fold down so I have the option to sleep flat. (And even then, it’s not a dealbreaker.)
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    TFP - I like the A-specs too. I actually prefer the RDX because I do not need the 3rd row seat, but it looks like there are no plans (at the moment) to make a RDX Type-S. What can I say I'm a sucker for quad exhaust tips. When it comes down to it I would be very skeptical driving thinking I'd be okay with a 4 cylinder turbo-charged engine when I've driven a V8 for the last 20 years. I think I'd be fine with a 6 though considering all the improvements car companies have made the last few years.

My "dream car" would be an AMG 63 Wagon, but unfortunately lightly used AMGs aren't going for what they used to a few years ago.
  • PredragDr
    3 years ago
    I have a 2021 Tesla and have generally been satisfied. I have seen a few Rivian's and even a Lucid on the road recently. The future is all electric.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I’ve always been a car guy. I ne
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I never understood the popularity of SUV’s… until I got one. My current vehicle is a Lexus SUV and I love it. I’d never go back to a car
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    When nicespice buys a new car, I wanna buy her old one cause she slept in it.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    The next car I buy will most likely be a Range Rover. After about 5+ years I might lease a Benz G Wagon.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Seeing as I do not buy cars from Nazis, all German cars are out, so my next one in two or three years will a wrx-sti. Driving is too much fun to drive a boat, oops i mean an s.u.v.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    As a realtor I'd enjoy the ease of transporting items and possibly people in an SUV. Plus, they're better for road trips. Also, boats are fun.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    nicespice said "Really? I honestly like the safety features of newer cars."

It's a fair point. I've always had a pickup/work truck because I need a pickup to do things only a pickup can do. But I also have a boring, efficient, safe late-model car for all of my other driving... errands, driving distances, social stuff, and going places where parking a truck is a pain.

But, while I enjoy driving my truck (probably because I love the work I accomplish with it), that car is purely a tool. I regard it no differently than a wrench. I'll probably always have some low-key car just to get places. But, when it comes to the next vehicle that I look forward to getting, it's a classic truck.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    (I have an SUV now and love having one)
  • captainfun
    3 years ago
    This comment is more around the state of new availability vs. what I like….

I had some time to kill a couple weeks ago so made 15 minute visits to Audi, BMW, Tesla, Mercedes Benz and Porsche dealerships that are all within 2 miles of each other.

Each of the dealers only had 2-4 new cars to sell on the lot. Porsche had one car listed at $131k plus $15k for a ‘market adjustment’ as in there is no supply so if you want it badly enough we’ll gladly have you bend over.

I’ll be holding off on buying a new car until inventories pick back up - which some of them claim will be 1-2 years.
  • Rod8432
    3 years ago
    Mercedes S550 Cabriolet - https://www.carmax.com/cars/preview/2142…

I'm curious Skibum, if you wouldn't buy a "Nazi car," then why another WWII enemy - Japan?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I want to transition out of needing a car. With uber and better public transportation. Living where I have everything in walking distance. Rising insurance and gas prices and repair costs make cars more of a liability.

All the features on new cars aren't necessary and the computer shut is why a new bumper can cost 5k.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ not a bad theory since of where you live. Programs like Turo let you easily rent whenever you need one.

Not an option for me - I’m way too rural to ever be able to survive without a car.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Until such time the supply chain/ chip shortage problem gets straightened out, talking about the next vehicle to buy is an exercise in onanism. Especially when manufacturers prioritize building vehicles that I have no interest in buying.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    The Genesis GV70 has caught my eye as well. Prior to the chip shortage, Genesis models were shit for maintaining resale value. May be looking for a deal on a low mileage 2021 GV70 in 2023 or 2024.

Three thing are limiting my desire for a new vehicle: depreciation, especially right now that you're paying above MSRP; lack of availability; and the new color palettes that I find butt ugly.

I can't stand the new trend toward weird colors done in that flat, but not matte finish. It looks like you took flat wall paint from Lowe's and then put clear coat on it. No metal flake, no pearl, no depth. I think it started in Nardo Gray,(which was striking at the time https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2617014283…), but has gotten out of hand. Is that car gray or green? Is that truck beige or purple? and pastel colors WTF?.

I recently saw a BMW in a color that can best be described as Soiled Baby Diaper. https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/03/06/bmw-i…

Maybe these colors appeal to Millennials, but they leave me cold.

• jackslash
    3 years ago
    My current BMW is only a year old. But when I replace it, I want an M series BMW.
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    If I had the money, I'd get an EV, either the new Kia or Hyundai, maybe the Mustang.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    A Honda CR-V or something similar. It's a way to get from point A to point B.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Rod: My current Subaru, which was built-in Indiana, is one reason, but the real reason is when I was a kid the people who put the tattoo on the nice lady neighbor who baked cookies and who also murdered her parents and sister were Germans and not Japanese. I did rent a BMW in August to see what driving one was like.
  • Rod8432
    3 years ago
    Skibum - Good enough. I have actually heard similar WWII sentiments about buying Japanese cars, so was curious. Definitely sounds personal, and appreciate your perspective.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I owned an Audi for a little while and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Fun to drive, but any service that wasn't an oil change or tire rotation started at $800. I have money to spend, but that's not how I like spending it. So, no more German cars for me.

I know more than a few Germans. I'm convinced that they have no love or yearning for their fascism history in the 1930s and 1940s. It's interesting that some folk come on here and make arguments that Native American, Black people, and other ethnic and religious demographics should not fixate on the horrors that occurred in their pasts, but those same folk seem hard pressed to practice what they preach when it comes to their own old grudges.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    @nicespice

You wrote and I quote:

“preferably the rear seats fold down so I have the option to sleep flat.”

Pics and Vids of you “sleeping” laying flat on your back on the rear seats or it didn’t happen.

:D

Question for you nicespice:

Are you doing something with your terminal sick regular for Christmas 🎄?

Just curious...
  • doctorevil
    3 years ago
    I have driven just about every make of auto available for sale in the US, from economy to luxury, including Cadillac and Mercedes, and owned quite a few. My hands down favorite: my Toyota SUV. It will be 10 years old in a few months. Besides scheduled maintenance, which is relatively cheap, the only repair it has required in 10 years is one failed tire sensor. I will drive it until it starts becoming a maintenance headache, if that ever happens, and then get a new one.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    @ceoaticeysangelsllc

You wrote and I quote:

“I want to transition out of needing a car...”

Pics and Vids of the Pitch Black Dodge Demon Challenger with a FOR SALE sign or link to the online offer to sell it, or it isn’t so.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Right NOW? Nothing. I'm waiting to see if they up the trim levels on the hybrid Ford Maverick. I love having a truck, but congestion and parking make having a smaller vehicle more sensible. Gas prices make electrification more sensible. Ford has done a great job with hybrid technogy.
  • rickmacrodong
    3 years ago
    the newer bmws honestly look uglier than the older ones during around like 2006 to 2013 or 2014...

if german car makers = nazis you simply cant buy any car at all as the jewish ones would be Israeli terrorists, American ones would be kkk terrorists etc

the "supply chain adjustment" isnt a thing, there is no supply chain issue, there is just an inflation problem. the "market adjustment" and "supply chain issue" is here to stay, it's just the latest trick in the book used by greedy car dealerships to make more money. it isnt all car dealers charging the "market adjustment" upcharge, just some of them, so just steer clear of the scammer businesses.

honestly that comment of equating germans to nazis is straight up disgusting. there isnt a single race or gender on the planet currently which hasnt engaged in things like murder, rape and theft.

anyway, electric vehicles are horrible, supposedly the radiation/EMF released from a tesla is like hundreds or thousands of times more than from a regular modern car. so driving a tesla is probably guaranteeing you get cancer.

german and foreign cars can be a ripoff when it comes to maintenance, and apparently have major reliability issues.

an important of a car is the way the car drives, handles, and its aesthetics. as well as cost, maintenance costs.

if youre rich and can get any car it doesnt apply to you... but the best cars on the market currently would be something like the scion frs which I think is being replaced with the toyota 86. then also, the subaru brz, the newer cadillac sedan/coupe models, the acura sedan/coupe models. possibly lexus/infinity sedans and coupes. and maybe dodge chargers. a lot of these sedans/coupes come with AWD or FWD available... aren't too expensive... look very nice
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Similar to @motorhead; I didn't used to be into SUVs; originally many were built on pickup truck chasis and my pref has always been for smooth-riding sedans and I've never really been into pickup trucks - there have been a few instances in the last few years where I rented a full-size car but ended-up getting an SUV and enjoyed driving it - now I'm only considering an SUV for my next-car since I feel you get more car for the money - I don't have a family to hsul around so I would like a compact or midsize SUV.

I would like to transition to an EV like a Model-Y but I don't have an enclosed garage so IDK how practical it is to own an EV w/o one of those Tesla chargers at home.

If I don't transition to an EV then something like an Acura RDX is appealing to me - I tend to hold-on to cars for a long time thus reliability and cost-of-ownership are the most important to me and why I've stuck with Japanese csrs over the last 30-years.

If I end up going for style-over-substance in my next car then I may end-up leasing something since it won't be a long-term investment - if I leased I may end up going with something like a Mercedes GLC compact SUV.
  • boomer79
    3 years ago
    I’m having some issues with my car. I think I’ll get a Camry hybrid when I replace it.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    I'll probably end up keeping my current Cadillac XTS for several more years. Since I started working from home early last year I went from putting 15-18k miles per year on my car to about 6k miles per year. Since my car only has 40k miles on it right now and I usually keep cars until well past 100k miles I should be good to go for a while. I just hope someone is making a decent full sized sedan by the time I look to replace my current car.

The number of traditional full sized sedans are dropping quite quickly in recent years. Even Cadillac doesn't offer a true full size sedan anymore since they discontinued the CT6 last year. I always have an older 4x4 truck (currently a 2009 F150) around for whenever I need a truck to haul anything or the winter roads are bad but I don't use it enough to buy a new truck. Since I have the truck I wouldn't need to get an SUV and I really prefer the ride quality of a full size sedan.

The best full sized sedans out there right now in my opinion would be the Genesis G90, Audi A8 or the BMW 7 series. The problem is I really din't the oversized grilles that they all feature in the front.

I would love to go with an EV but 99% of my driving is done in rural parts of the midwest and the charging infrastructure isn't there right now. There isn't a single level 2 charging station within 25 miles of my home. Hopefully by the time I am ready to buy my next car this will have changed.

If I had to buy a new car right now I would probably be inclined to go with the Cadillac CT5 even though it is a step down in size. Especially if I could find the extra budget to get one with the Blackwing engine.
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    @papi: Actually, outside chargers can be installed that are similar to the charging stations seen in mall parking lots and other places, except that they are much smaller, basically just a post sticking out of the ground with an attached cable reel.

The bigger problem will occur if a neighborhood all goes electric at once. Most blocks don't have enough main cabling to accommodate more than two or three of these charging stations at once. Significant infrastructure changes will be required and, voila, we have a chicken and egg problem.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Hey Bobby insane comment. Benz and Volkswagen made weapons for the Nazis asshole.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ It's long past time to get of your high horse and face reality, which isn't a progressive fiction, it's the reality of the world we live in!

The Nakajima Aircraft Company (中島飛行機株式会社, Nakajima Hikōki Kabushiki Kaisha) was a prominent Japanese aircraft manufacturer and aviation engine manufacturer throughout World War II. It continues to the present day as the car and aircraft manufacturer Subaru. I believe that's your cah of choice, am I correct skibum ?

So did Mitsubushi and many other prominent Japanese manufacturers

Don't keep trying to make false equivalencies, the Japs were just as brutal as the Germans, they committed all kinds of atrocities throughout the war, including the massacres of civilians throughout, Manchuria, Burma, and China, let's not forget the kidnapping of civilian women for use as sex slaves by Japanese soldiers, google the Rape of Nanking if you need some actual context.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Yeah but the Germans bombed Pear Harbor.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    This discussion is beginning to remind me of an episode of “Mad Men”.

“The Chrysanthemum and the Sword”

Mad Men is a great show BTW if you haven’t seen it. Perhaps you have to be older to appreciate it. Ex Naval Officer Roger Sterling refuses to do business with Honda when they came to the US looking for an ad agency for motorcycles and to introduce their future automobile line.

Reddit reviewers call Sterling racist but forget this episode took place only 16 or 17 years after the end of WW ii and don’t realize why a Navy man who served in the Pacific and saw many, many friends die would still hate the Japanese

• 48-Cowboy
    3 years ago
    I usually ride a horse
  • rockie
    3 years ago
    Toyota since 1982!
  • rickmacrodong
    3 years ago
    it doesnt really matter who makes weapons or cars for who especially 100 years ago.

Nike, starbucks, many major corps use slave labor overseas. actually they are incentivized to do so due to domestic minimum wage laws.

it's bad enough to hate on audi or bmw or any other corporation or country for something some people in those companies or countries did a hundred years ago.

but to hate an entire country, or all companies from a country, is just laughable. if someone genuinely held these kinds of beliefs, they literally would just move out the country after the war on iraq or any other unjust war. apparently some people in a company or country doing something means everyone in that company or country is involved in that activity, for all times.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I’m still thinking about electric - and the Tesla model Y. I’m not sure if I’m ready to buy a vehicle that gets delivered - and then have no dealer to go back to if there are minor fit/finish issues.

I enjoy SUV’s since I got my first Lexus RX about 16 years ago. My current MDX is very useful and comfortable.

I like the look of those high end SUV’s - but I’m good with the Lexus or Acura level of vehicle. I’m still unsure how things might work out with a Tesla.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    My last 3 cars have been Mustang GT's and my current one only has 26K miles on it and I'm totally happy with the performance and other features . If I live long enough I'll probably buy another Ford product because I like the fact that the dealer is only 1.9 mile from my house and there no others dealers close by.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Subarus are nice cars. I would not want the FRS if they force you to go to all wheel drive though. That increases the weight and the maintenance schedule. It doubles the number of CV joint booties.

I want it to stay more SCION - TOYOTA.

The FRS engine uses direct high pressure injection, so there is no restriction on valve timing from the fuel injection. Sequential manifold injection does not give this, and continuous injection certainly does not give this.

So it does 100hp per liter, or 200hp from its 2.0 liter engine, even though naturally aspirated.

Nice streamlined low roof car.

SJG
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    I will own or build one of these before I die. 92k per and orders are booked thru 2023

https://www.jetsonaero.com/
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Yeah, electric helicopter! I want to build my own cars and my own airplanes!

SJG
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “ Yeah, electric helicopter! I want to build my own cars and my own airplanes!”

Just keep riding that purple Huffy bike San Jose Guy.
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    Insert Skinner out of touch meme here
  • PredragDr
    3 years ago
    Not this. Almost $800k for this flying car...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/flyin…
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    We? Your impotent ass will do nothing
  • Musterd21
    3 years ago
    I like Jeeps!

Prius is more my speed!
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Jeeps ride like a vehicle with square tires
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    A 22 Grand Cherokee to replace my current Grand Cherokee. Might upsize one to the GCL.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    I think this makes Tesla the unchallengeable winner: https://www.xvideos.com/video66391829/se…
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Not looking for anything, just fine with the 2019 Challenger, but with Chevy stopping production on the Camaro (again), it'd be cool to get a black SS with black rims. It looks like the Batmobile. Problem is, at least with the 2013 I had, blind spots suck and the seats just aren't comfortable. It sucked for road trips or just general rush hour commutes. But damn it looks bad ass.

https://www.pinterest.com.mx/pin/5772348…

If I could walk out tomorrow and buy whatever I wanted, I'd snag a blue 68 Chevelle SS 396 (my dad's first car), black GMC Sierra, old fixed-up blue Bronco, 69 Firebird, and for an SUV, ugh.... probably nothing new-ish, the new designs all seem like soccer mom cars. Gimme an early 90s Nissan Pathfinder exterior with a new engine and all-new interior.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    @El Dud. I have a 2012 SS Camaro with a manual transmission. I know that you can't see anything from these cars so I bought a convertible. I just don't drive it unless I can have the top down. Living in San Diego, that's pretty much all year. I have less than 40K on it so it's still nice despite getting up in years.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Yeah...I wouldn't do a convertible in Phoenix; it's too damn hot. I love the look of the Camaro, though. Maybe when (not if) I win Powerball, I'll get one for my quick trips to get breakfast burritos or something...and I'll get an old folks Buick for road trips!
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    sirachabob

VW is always associated with Hitler and with slave labor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-343587…

And the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheels is for a underground bomb proof plant.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/882559858/w…

The senior Ferdinand Porsche, pictured, was convicted at Nuremburg. Auto Union / Audi was one of the state sponsored names he used to design his V16 600hp race cars.

But Henry Ford was one of the largest Non-German contributors to the Nazi Party.

Alfred Slone of General Motors had a book written about how to do the same thing here, "United States of Fascism"

Nissan built the trucks for the 1931 invasion of Manchuria, and the role of Mitsubishi is without equal. Today these two companies are working together.

But the one which has the greatest continuity with the Nazi Party and slave labor is Mercedes Benz.

When Mussolini came to the Mirafiori giant FIAT factory in Turin, he wanted the workers to echo his words and to make a hysterical rally. The workers would not and so Il Duce left.

SJG

Major Correction, it is Mr. Rob Arthur who is playing keyboard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5PgG4ak…

Nord
    https://www.nordkeyboards.com/
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    I don't like cars enough to spend enough money on nice ones.

I have a '70's land cruiser, FJ40, and love driving it when it's sunny. But, no roof, no A/C, 10 MPG and a 12 gallon tank... Loud, smelly. It's got a "patina". And it wasn't "classic car" expensive.

Whatever desire I have left to own / drive something that isn't just practical transportation is filled by that.

When I have to be somewhere, I drive a prius. Quiet, 50 MPG, 4 years and 40K, nothing's been replaced or repaired but the oil and filter on standard maintenance.

I have rented a shitload of pretty cars complements of Hertz president's circle. SS Camaro, 5.0 Mustang convertible, Hemi challenger... (I actually kinda liked the TRD 4 runner more than any of them...) ya, zero to 100 and back to zero light to light on the Vegas strip is exciting once or twice, as long as I don't care about how long the transmission and brake pads last, I would never do that shit in a car I owned.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    You buy a new car and it looks impressive because it is new, and expensive.

But you find an old car you like and you learn how to keep it nice, you've got something which will become more impressive and head turning every year!

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Infinity Q60

https://www.infinitiusa.com/vehicles/cou…

Q60's RED SPORT 400 trim boasts a behemoth 400 horsepower engine, with dynamic handling technologies and intuitive driver controls to make it drive like a dream.

STARTING MSRP
    $41,750

3.0-liter V6 twin turbo 300 HP (2997cc), Turbocharged 24-valve engine, aluminum-alloy block and heads with water-cooled air charging system

I don't like "dynamic handling" meaning active suspension. I like hard suspension.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Front 20 x 9.0-inch, Sport aluminum-alloy wheels with P255/35R20 summer performance tires. Rear staggered 20 x 9.5-inch, Sport aluminum-alloy wheels with P275/30R20 summer performance tires

That is a lot of rubber, and different diam and width of rims front and rear.

Standard is
    19 x 9.0-i19 x 9.0-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with all-season run-flat 255/40R19 tires

7 speed automatic with manual shift mode. Dual transmission coolers

Electronically controlled 7-speed automatic with Adaptive Shift Control. Driver-adaptive learning algorithm senses driving style and adjusts automatic shifting accordingly. Manual shift mode offers sequentially selectable manual gearshifts and Downshift Rev Matching

^^^^ transmission sounds awesome.

RWD standard

"intelligent AWD available (fuck that)

suspension:
    Standard Front - Independent, double-wishbone with coil springs over Dual Flow Path® shock absorbers, stabilizer bar
    Standard Rear - Independent, multi-link with coil springs over Dual Flow Path® shock absorbers, stabilizer bar

But "intellilgent dynamic suspension" is optional (fuck it)

All I need now is to get rid of the airbags.

SJG
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ I think you need to stick to huffy bikes fuckstick. Nobody is going to let you get behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle unless it’s one of those fat people carts at Walmart. Those go slow enough to minimize the damage you could cause.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    Here are two possibilities.

A Chevy Chevette:
    https://www.imcdb.org/v020557.html

Or this one horsepower taxi:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBcX-5qmv…

• shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ he’s try to have sex with the horse so not sure that one would work.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Chevy Chevette was a disaster. You look under those cars and you will often see that the places where the lower control arms attach are rusting and at risk of giving way.

I have maintained Nissan. The cars are well designed and well built. If you have thr tools, equipment, facility, parts access, and documentation, then the cars are a pleasure to work on.

Can't find any service manuals for Infinity Q60 or Nissan GTR

but they are in this:
    Supercars, Kane Miller (2013)

And then one of the predecessors, one I have long liked, was the 240SX.

Chilton's Nissan 240SX/Altima 1993-98 Repair Manual

SJG
  • PinkSugarDoll
    3 years ago
    I have never in my life had an automatic transmission car aside from the project I just finished. That is the only thing keeping me from an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    PinkSugarDoll, you talk about your project. Are you making a resto-custom car, or are you building a kit car? Are you doing this hands on yourself?

Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 has a rear mounted transaxle. So it is rather like a 928 Porsche. It is the sensible version of Nissan GTR. It comes with a 7 speed automatic transmission, but it has a manual shift mode. Looking to get more information about it.

Because of upshifting sooner, and a higher top gear ratio, automatics will often get better gas mileage. And they can get better acceleration too.

You are controlling both the engine and the transmission from the same accelerator pedal. But if you add in some other means of manual control it can be nice. Q60 might have paddle shifters on the steering column.

But after market people are offering a manual transmission for it. Rather unusual if you ask me. Some people must really love this car.
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/an-aftermar…
    https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/ins…

The number of different two door cars made today has gotten really small.

SJG

Stanley Clarke, 1974
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW7a1rTI…
  • Estafador
    3 years ago
    About to get a big ass bonus next month, so if I don't do it all on the investment markets, I was planning to get a Lexus LS 460. Personally I want a Chevy Corvette C8 because it's fast and I like to go vroom in the newest stuff for less, but I want to wait till my investments appreciate before throwing money down or something like that. Plus

As for why the Lexus LS 460 or better? Because as a man that is 6 ft 5 in, I oddly can fit in that but not many other cars. And I want to upgrade to something more luxurious even if it's a little bit more and not a lot. But also not spend crap ton of money on maintenance like I would with a Cadillac.
  • IRman
    3 years ago
    I still love large sleek sedans! I’m waiting for the new 2023 Genesis G90 sedan. There are plenty of pictures of them on the web. It’s a huge sedan! And be sure to check out the “clamshell hood” designed into it! Just waiting for it to hit our shores (4-6 months).
  • Cowboy12
    3 years ago
    I put my order in for the Mach Five...watch out racerx!
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Nissan Z car, current (2023)

Finally they have gotten rid of those stupid buldging door handles:

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/futur…

Now down to 3.0 Liters, but 400hp (like Infinity Q60)

They don't list this on their main page, only on a future concept cars page:
    https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/futur…

They have changed the look of the car, headlights and taillights.

The three gauges close together in the center are iconic.

Don't see real specs, just some videos, and don't see any prices.

Would like to know weight and tire sizes, and hopefully no active suspension.

SJG
  • 48-Cowboy
    3 years ago
    A horse
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    I would actually prefer convertible, since this car has no backseat, and because that makes it work better with a roll bar.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Saw a Nissan 200SX last night. Rare to see such an old car, like early 80's.

These had 4 wheel disc brakes. Most but not all had independent rear suspension. 2 liters fuel injected, but getting to 2.2 liters.

Japan was technologically advanced. American attempts to move to compact sized cars were usually technologically retrograde.

200SX morphed into 240SX, and that was an adaptation of the 2+2 version of Gen 3 z-car, but changed from V6 to I4.

5 speed transmission from 200SX could be used for Datsun 510.

SJG

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfQuZqq…
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Scirocco First Generation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen…

I like the older cars, so long as they meet some minimum technical spec, like fuel injection, electronic ignition, enough rubber, front disc brakes, 5 speed manual transmission, 4 wheel independent suspension, midships gas tank.

Shop I am friendly with in San Mateo specializes in European Cars, they always have lots of extreme exotics around. But they also have these. Good 2+2, good design.

When they were new I thought they were too wide, wider than Rabbit and Jetta. But today compact cars have gotten so big.

Don't think they ever sold these in the US.

no 2 doors
    https://www.vw.com/en/compact-cars.html

Seem to have dropped EOS.

The Volkswagen Eos was a sport compact cabriolet coupé produced by the German automaker Volkswagen from 2006 to 2015. Assembled at AutoEuropa in Portugal, it was a convertible only compact coupé introduced as the successor of the Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet. It was Volkswagen's first production coupé since the Volkswagen Corrado, which ended production in July 1995.

The name Eos was derived from Eos, the Greek goddess of the dawn.[2] The Eos ended production in May 2015. However, a limited number of base trim models were sold as models of 2016 in the United States.

I should have bought one when they were still available.

SJG

In My Dreams
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55rKa7f…
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    For the record, the Japanese had some pretty nasty detention camps. One of my ancestors died in one during WWII. Plus, there’s the Batan death march.

So, for those avoiding German cars because of the Nazis, you might want to read some history about the Pacific war.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “Because as a man that is 6 ft 5 in “

I also have a headroom issue with vehicles. My first step in shopping is to look up the headroom for all the new models. I need at least 41 inches of headroom, so I’m pretty well stuck with SUVs or trucks, and few of them even work.

The tiny BMW X1 SUV has a surprising 41.9 inches of headroom. A new model will be out in weeks. The Mercedes GLB SUV isn’t bad. In both cases, I’d need to get the base model without a sunroof for it to work.
  • Tiburon
    2 years ago
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking to buy a 2016 McLaren real soon. Might also consider a Corvette c8. But I am honestly waiting for them to release the zr1 version before I commit to corvette.
  • Tiburon
    2 years ago
    spyder for those wondering
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I’m thinking of saving my spare change and buying a used Fiat. I think it would be a real “panty dropper” type of vehicle!

I will invest in one of those viper alarm systems to keep it protected when I park in front of the strip club. I’m going to put some sweet rims on it too - maybe 24’s - to give it a real bad ass look.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^

Damn Cash, I honestly was just going to post about wanting a fiat, 100% true, no BS!
    But I only want an early pre fuel injection model. I do have concerns about starting it though, do you have any ideas on where I can find a treatise on starting an older fiat?
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    They say that in his retirement years Ferruccio Lamborghini used to drive around in a 131 FIAT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_131

He could have driven anything he wanted. I think that would be nice to pull up to strip clubs in.

I learned of the VW EOS, but I was not sure about it. They had sometimes offered VW Fox as a sub Golf/Jetta. I feared it might have that old Audi 100 floor plan, longitudinal FWD, I4.

That works okay with larger and heavier cars, but with the Audi 100, Audi Fox, VW Fox, it was just too nose heavy.

Subaru avoids this buy using O4 engines. And Chrysler LH had V6's and overall larger and heavier cars, so it worked out.

Wish I had bought a VW EOS. It was FWD transvers, overall really nice 2door coupe.

SJG

In My Dreams
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55rKa7f…

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPS600?…
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    TheeOSU - the best way to get a Fiat moving is to put it at the top of a large hill and hope it can roll down.

Although considering how useless those cars are - and how much SJG likes them - it’s possible it won’t even roll downhill!
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    my first car was a fiat. fun to drive... but Fix It Again Tony!
    have had new honda’s and toyota’s... but getting another new car is not important to me anymore. a new vehicle now costs soooooo dang much.
    I honestly don’t like my bad ass Prius but I get decent gas mileage with it. It’s beat up and just about ready to turn 200,000 miles. maybe i’ll just wait until my youngest daughter is ready to buy a new Tesla and then I’ll buy her old dual motor S. the damn thing is like a rocket ship. And she’s got the long distance battery. It can go like up to 400 miles range on flatland.
    as a standby I still have my Scion xb. it’s 10 years old too (like my bad ass prius.) since I drive that used Prius the scion just sits in the garage. I get 10 to 15 sometimes even 20 miles to the gallon better drive in the bad ass Prius. and I still have my old beat up 1941 Cadillac. needs everything... but it still runs and drives and gets rancid mileage.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    EDIT: the second to the last sentence the word * drive * should be *mileage*.

that Fiat cost me $50 and I had to rebuild the engine. it was a 1959 that I bought in 1967. after that I bought a 64 MG. those two cars were constant maintenance and tuneup whores over and over again.

The Japanese cars I had (and have) just about completely trouble free.
    The most fun car I had was my 1989 BMW 325 w/ 5 speed stick. only had a few hundred in it. Too bad It got wrecked.
    Probably the best european car I ever had. far better than the two old mercedes bent too.
    and even better than most all the fords, chevys and that i collected. and sold.
    soooo....
    i’ve been keeping my eye open ( a bit ) for another similar older BMW six cylinder and stick.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    damn seri cut out the word * mopar *. That’s in reference to the three De Soto’s, two dodges and one Plymouth that I had too...
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    oh... and a fleet of fin cadillacs, a few buick’s, pontiacs, and a 56 corvette. and a couple of porsche’s. 1960 and 1971. (is that all?) shit. i was a car addict. definitely had way more than i needed.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    maybe around two hundred cars? now i’m down to four. still have a few more to sell. really only need one. . the money has been helping fund my latest addiction. wine women and song. 10 years of delightful addiction. especially to women.
  • ATACdawg
    2 years ago
    I just saw the new, all electric, Dodge Charger. By the account, it puts more horsepower on the ground than the current Hellcat. If the car looks like the prototype, I'm in. That could make me replace my 2006 Charger R/T!
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    @jascoi
    My guess is a running 41 Caddy no matter how rough ought to be worth some decent coin, that oughta fund a healthy helping of wine, women, & song.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    I don't really need a new vehicle. My 2018 Mustang GT is just turning 30K but I do have that new car fever since the announcement of the 7th generation Mustang to be unveiled next month at the Detroit auto show. Beside looks I want to see what features it will have that I don't already have and of course what trade in and new car prices will be when they become available for purchase.
  • how
    2 years ago
    I like Dodge Charger, but learned the 2023 models will be the last. (!)
    Therefore, they will carry a premium pricetag, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Dodge.

KIA Stinger All-Wheel Drive is appealing, but it also has a premium sticker, so why buy Kia?

As for the new fad, I am not interested in getting an EV, because I want to be able to travel cross-country anytime without "range anxiety."
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The hybrid electrics go very far and just need a gas station, like BMW's X-drive system, and like this new Dodge Hornet Crossover SUV.

SJG

"Jane" by Jefferson Starship METAL COVER Feat. Type O Negative + Lucifer + The Hellacopters and More
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDi29X2J…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion