tuscl

Disturbing New Fashion Trends

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Saturday, August 28, 2021 4:19 AM
I know I've officially become "old" when I'm looking at Zoomers and saying "why the fucking fuck are you doing that?" What may I be complaining about you ask? 1. Girls getting facial tattoos, not little ones, BIG ones that are covering up the entire side of their face, from their cheekbone to their earlobe. These aren't meth-heads either, many are college students. 2. Girls splicing stripes in their eyebrows like rappers and douche teenagers did in the early 90s. I'll stand by my assertion, back when I was a teenager in the 90s every single kid (mostly males a few females) I knew (of all races) that were splicing their eyebrows, were douches. A lot of those people are still douches to this day. Not to say when I was their age we had some shitty fashion trends too, how may people got tribal arm band tattoos, body piercings... but most of that shit could be covered up or reversed. Nobody's hiding a face tattoo.

44 comments

• ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Guessing Zoomers are Gen Z? Why can't they they just stick to proper stuff like we did in my day, biting the heads of live bats and such.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I don't trust people who do things just coz they're trendy
  • pistola
    3 years ago
    I still don't get this sagging shit where young dudes wear their pants below the bottom of their ass crack and make their boxers part of their ensemble. I know its an urban thing but its got to be the dumbest urban shit ever. Like, if shots pop off, how the f you gonna be able to run at full speed bro?
  • Lone_Wolf
    3 years ago
    As for these tattoos - I think these ladies get in an echo chamber where everyone around them says this "art" is cool and amazing. No one has the courage to say it's a mistake. I've seen YT videos of young women covered in tats (chest, face, fingers etc..) and not one person in the comments section says it's a train wreck. Only accolades.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Yeah, I know that this is not a tattoo-friendly forum, generally speaking, but the reality is that tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable. The reason why you're seeing more facial tattoos is because having them anyplace else is not really considered counterculture anymore. I know people who work in very professional and even executive settings who have full sleeves and don't feel the need to wear long sleeves (men and women). Another factor is that tattoo removal is becoming more effective and affordable. So, it's not really the one-way street that it used to be. For me, face tattoos are case-by-case. Depends on the tattoo and it depends on the face. But even if I don't like a person's face tattoo, I don't have a problem with face tattoos in general.
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    Ugh I hate tattoos too on men. Screams ghetto trash that doesn't know how to treat a woman right. But these face and neck tats just scream trash to me. Sorry. Occasionally I see face/neck tats tastefully done but those are a minority imo
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Remember when Mayo-naise covered up his tattoo when he entered Navy OCS? When did pride in personal appearance get screwed up
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    Ha ha - facial tattoos used to be a punchline like in the Hangover. You got so drunk you made the catastrophic decision to get a facial tattoo. Obviously, there’s going to be a lot of ridiculous looking middle aged and old people in 30, 40, 50 years with tattoos on wrinkled old faces. No one will think it’s “hot” or “art”.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    You know does people trying to bring back the Fedora count as new? Way back in the day only the cool guys wore that. Now it's the absolute and complete opposite of cool dudes wearing them with edgelords ruining that piece of headgear forever. Now when I watch old gangster movies I cringe knowing it's fate.
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    I've never seen a girl outside the internet with large face tattoos. I don't really like Soundcloud rappers tho so maybe that's my problem? I've never, ever seen a stripper with a large face tattoo IRL.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    It didn't. Many people with tattoos take a great deal of pride in their personal appearance, but from an aesthetic perspective that is different than yours. Not better or worse, but just different. And the reality is that the goal posts on acceptable appearance (however you want to define 'acceptable'...) shift constantly, as they always have. Go back in time with regard to full beards on guys. There have been periods where a full beard was the norm for wealthy men, but other periods where a full beard made you a hobo. For most of the first half of the 20th century, obesity made you the object of merciless ridicule and shame. But, now 'fat' is a 'dad bod' on guys or 'thick', "full-figured", or 'BBW' on women. I mean, I get it. This is one of those threads where everyone yells at clouds, so I'm probably not going to change any minds here. But, you know, if you spend any time at all wishing that people didn't make knee-jerk judgements about you because you spend or make money in a strip club, then maybe you can afford to be a little less judgemental regarding folks with tattoos.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    "It didn't" was meant as an answer to Motorhead's last sentence in his post.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    So taking a break, switching majors, etc delayed me enough that l ended up finishing out alongside the first wave of gen z. I’ve also encountered a few gen z males when I danced for a week in a college town. And I’ve interacted with gen z females as dancers… I have super high regards for that cohort. I am not too much older than them, since I was born in the early 90s and most demographers consider their start late 90s. But hands down idk what that small years of difference was, but imo they are a sweeter more genuine group of people than who I remember being around at like age. 🥺 As far as fashion, nothing I noticed with them really stood out. Haven’t seen a huge amount of face tattoo or the eyebrow thing myself. Maybe I just encounter a different group of zoomers? I just notice a lot of them like to color their hair bright colors, but that’s about it. The only thing I roll my eyes at is that apparently the early 2000s is the fashion thing now. The millennials born in the 80s, made the 80s worship a thing for a while. We millennials from the 90s made love of the 90s a thing for a while. And now apparently people from the 2000s are into the early 2000s. So far, gen z is keeping up with us millennials of being obsessed with a time period they can insert their own visions of a “better time in”…maybe specifically because it happened when they were alive but the memories are fuzzy enough it’s easy to glamorize? Um no, in the mid 2000s homophobia and fat phobia and other forms of exclusionary attitudes were a lot more common. Oh yeah, and we invented cyber bullying. Which is probably a big reason social media is as highly censored as it is today. (Well that…and our boomer parents getting nasty with the political talk on there 😅) Not saying the mid 2000s is bad by any means, but if gen Z plopped back into that time period, I think a lot of them would be wanting to cancel it. So my only hope, is that the later batch of gen z will bring pop culture back into something that has more newness instead of nostalgia. Which I’m sure they will have to, since the whole decade thing of nostalgia started I think in 2010 and there isn’t much left to copy anymore…unless we transport back to the 70s and make disco a thing 🤓
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    My opinion is that the vast majority of people who engage in 1980s nostalgia didn't live through the 1980s. There was some good and even great stuff in the 1980s, but there was also enough shitty stuff to keep me from getting misty-eyed about it all being in the past. About the only thing I truly miss about the 1980s is not being old...
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I don't think there's a tremendous amount of new fashions, in my opinion almost all of fashion is taking old designs from the past and reworking them with modern fabrics, materials, and updated color schemes.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ BTW that includes tattoos throughout history certain cultures have included tattoos in their culture just newer more modern technique and better colors are now available.
  • DoctorPhil.
    3 years ago
    Come now Mr. Shailynn, the fashions of the past were far worse than those of today. Remember those fringed outfits of the 1970s? And the absence of shaving? The 1970s was a time of fucking Wookiees wearing fucking fringes. That shit will warp your brain. Why do you think Mr. Skibum is fucking INSANE? Simple, he was wearing a fringed jacket while he had sex with a female Wookiee. Then his brain short circuited an the rest is history. And then there’s RickiBoi. You know that guy was wearing Michael Jackson hair during his teen years. A well-known side effect of growing up as a white boy with Jheri curls is advanced douchebaggery as an adult. Yep...I blame the whole Dugan “personality” (I use scare quotes because he doesn’t have a personality as much as he has a collection of douchebag behaviors) can be traced to shoulder pads and Jheri curls. Zoomed fashion ain’t gonna scar people emotionally. It’s all on the outside. Now that I’ve explained things you can provide Phil with a hearty “you’re welcome!”
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Remember when Mayo-naise covered up his tattoo when he entered Navy OCS? When did pride in personal appearance get screwed up
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    I don't put much stock in the generation stuff. The differences between people of similar age are big, so the description of what's typical for them is really just a stereotype. As much as people talk about tattoos being worse because of permanence, I've never met anyone who came to feel their tattoos looked bad. They only regretted all the hostile reactions they had to deal with. To me, the real problem there is the hostile reactions. There's lots of stories about people tattooed with the name of somebody they've broken up with. But anyway, failed romances leave marks on us that cut more than skin deep. Most name tattoos I've seen, it's a kid or a sibling. Does seem like younger people are generally less hateful. Mostly old white guys who say George Floyd brought it on himself.
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    Any chick with a giant face tat is not a college student buddy..
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    ^^^ Why? Perhaps not often a college student, but there are college students who have the money and are at or above the age to get tattooed.
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    big difference between getting a tattoo on your FACE and getting one somewheres else. You're not going to find many college students with face tats. You will find many college drop outs with face tats.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    So, again, my belief is that tattoos in general are becoming more mainstream and less permanent, and that's leading to a greater acceptance and willingness to get tattooed. This is to the degree that fewer people really even notices full sleeves anymore. And, as a result, face and skull tattoos are sort of the last bastion of "pushing the envelope" in the tattoo world. Now, are there herds of face-tattooed coeds roaming campuses to graze on patchouli and cold-brew coffee?... no. But in certain higher-education settings or majors, there's a growing amount of body modification and not-hideable tattooing going on. Providence, RI, is home to the Rhode Island School of Design, which is entirely art and design students. Over there, it's considered weird to *not* have any tattoos or piercings. And, yes, I've seen and met RISD students and recent alums who have face/skull tattoos. Providence also has Johnson & Wales, which is a culinary and hospitality school. For some reason, tattooing, etc., has become a really standard thing in the culinary world. And though I'm a guy with a bunch of tattoos, I'm not always 100% on board with this. I think that most people should wait until later in life to get tattooed, if at all. But my opinion doesn't change reality.
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    Again very few college students have face tattoos. Regular college, art college, culinary college. I highly doubt you could even count 2 folks if you sat on RISD campus for a few hours which I hope you do not actually do. Not talking skull tats. I'm talking face tats which is what OP mentioned. Also why do you think people should wait until later in life to get tattooed?
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Got some pictures of these new trends? SJG
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Thought this isn't a guarantee, people who are beyond their teens (and even 20s) are a bit more settled into themselves. There's less radical changes in tastes, careers, politics, aesthetics, etc. So, I think that people who are at least in their late 20s will make smarter, less-regrettable choices with regards to tattoos and body mods. I already said that I don't see herds of students with face tattoos, but I've seen more than I did 10 or even 5 years ago. And I don't have to park myself on the RISD campus to make this observation. I'm pretty deeply involved in the Providence/Rhode Island art scene. So, I don't have to Jane Goodall myself at RISD, J&J, or Brown to have an informed opinion. I'm in that world. Anyway, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree on this.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    SJG said "Got some pictures of these new trends?" Leave the library and go look for yourself.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Oh, and the eyebrow slit thing. I'm completely neutral. Doesn't turn me off or on. But I will admit that whenever I see it, I usually think it's a scar of some sort.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Ishmael, do you usually walk around wearing a kick me sign? SJG
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It depends on the meaning of a tattoo. The reason behind it. Most girls I know who got face tattoos got them coz they're always drunk or high....poor decision making skills. Same with guys. Some think it makes them hard.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I think the worst fashion trend is skinny jeans on guys and dad ugly bulky designer sneakers. Fake chains. On girls I dislike the wrestling outfits. Lol
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “ Any chick with a giant face tat is not a college student buddy” The girl I saw with a hug facial tattoo is not and likely woll neber be a college student. She is a hair stylist and nail technician. I was staring I HAVE seen female college students with small facial tattoos. My point is if I’m seeing this in my relatively sheltered small town university I can only imagine how males and females are doing it on the campuses of ASU (Arizona) or maybe FSU (Florida). Both those schools have their fair share of skanky females.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    What ICEE said. People think facial and neck tattoos make them hard, instead it makes them look stupid. Nothing like that to say you've given up on being part of polite society.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Bumping because I found an image that is closer to what I’ve observed is more typical zoomer, at least that I have seen. Maybe not the t-shirt per say, more overall style. [view link]
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I haven't really seen anyone with that style...I like the shirt though
  • orionsmith
    3 years ago
    I don't miss the 80s no internet. No pc or cell phones. Felt lucky when my parents bougth tv with remote control because our Tv Channels went from like from 6 to 13. Nothing R Rated Allowed. Our Local Kids Playground was The Swamp At Edge of neighborhood. Parents did buy my brother and I waterproof boots for our playground. Mosquitos were awful. No bug spray. Some parts of the swamp were Ok .
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    As every day passes I realize that my name is "Not Sure" and I am living his life. Anyone know what I mean?
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ===> "...my belief is that tattoos in general are becoming more mainstream and less permanent, and that's leading to a greater acceptance and willingness to get tattooed. This is to the degree that fewer people really even notices full sleeves anymore." In the bottom 50% I agree. But these are the same people who have the vast majority of kids out of wedlock (often with multiple baby daddies per girl), are less likely to get married and more prone to divorce when they DO get married, are more likely to be collecting government benefits, etc., etc. IMHO a girl who feels the need to cover herself in ink is trying to transform herself because she is a self-hater, likely due to a variety of mental health issues. To this day I don't see many tats on working professionals in intact families. They generally have too much self respect to do that to themselves. Ever seen a 25 year old tat on a woman who has gone through a lot of body changes over the years? I have and it ain't pretty. They are also extremely difficult to remove and the process is very expensive, likely too much so for many of the people in the demographic most prone to getting them in the first place.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Ski, I’m not sure, either.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    Tattoos in general have become mainsteam so I guess face tattoos will have probably had a rise in popularilty too, but they're not a trend. I was in school a bit more recently in a somewhat liberal area and I saw zero girls with face tattoos the entire time I was there. I am not sure about guys because it's less shocking, but I don't recall. Therefore, I would consider face tattoos a "trend." The fashion "trend" for women is Y2K aesthetic. If it was trendy in the late 90s / early 00s, it's very possible that it is back in style now in some way, or at least is in LA and will all over soon.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    I guess a small heart or butterfly lateral to the eyebrow might be cute. If she has 3 black teardrops on her face or a 5 pointed crown, I'm running toward the door.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    True to form for an old geezer, I'll tell a very old joke: Q: Does it mean a woman is a whore if she has a tattoo? A: Only if the tattoo says "you must be this call to get on this ride". So, if you're a slut and the tattoo is on your face, I guess that at least means you're not pedo.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    No one mentioned the Hitler youth and side show Bob haircuts for men. I hate those. And the modern bowl cut 🤡
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    call -> tall
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion