tuscl

OT: Wildfire 10% of Oregon forced to evacuate

176 comments

• mike710
    4 years ago
    Supposed to work there next week. Wondering if I will be able to. Something they need so holding out on cancelling for now. Heard the 3 hour drive I planned isn't happening today.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    I'm usually one of the first people to complain about Florida's humidity, but after seeing the wildfire news recently, I have a slight appreciation for it now.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Catastrophic fires are also burning in California and Washington. For those not affected by the direct fire, toxins are seeping into the water supply and an extended area is blanketed with toxic smoke. Colorado's had some fires, too, and the air quality was awful in August.

For the benefit of some of the TUSCL nutcases who deny climate change, the fires are almost certainly the result of climate change:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/08…
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Could partially be climate change but it's certainly not most likely.

Unlike much of the American South and East, California has a distinct wet season, with Pacific storms rolling in by November or December and wrapping up by March. In even the wettest years (2016-17 was the wettest in 122 years) much of California is bone-dry by late fall. Thus, it isn’t climate change that sets the conditions for fires—it’s California’s natural weather pattern. Comparing acres burned in wildfires to weather and tree harvest data, there appears to be little link to climate—but a big connection to the growing forest fuel load, especially on government land.

Which brings us back to policy. If federal and state environmental policies continue to make it difficult and costly to harvest timber and manage the fuel load, then the wildfires will continue and they will be bigger and deadlier. This will, in due course, cause some politicians to blame the fires on climate change.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore…

California rapidly becoming a third world country, rolling blackouts because they can't maintain an electrical grid and infrastructure.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    What many don’t realize about Cali, as one often just visits the coast, is that most of it is a big desert. The lush areas are coastal, but 20 to 30 minutes east of the ocean it’s arid and the landscaping one sees is all by human, not mother, nature aka potable and resume water lines. So while some of it is climate change, it’s really a combo of being a highly populated, extremely dry desert. Additionally, there are a ton of methheads and homeless living in undeveloped areas where these fires start.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    *reuse not resume lol
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Once again Randumbmember gets bitched slapped by someone who uses a logical and common sense approach to the issue from IME. Excellent summary IME. Our recorded history is so small from what “scientists” are using, that the real scientists try to open up that history further studying tree rings and understand that climate changes have always occurred before the Industrial Age. These people who are trying to justify their positions in life have to use the fear factor that it is human caused. Just to keep things in perspective, if you want to use science based facts, the amount of emissions spewed by volcanic activity and wildfires are about 99.9% or more of all emissions. The rest can be attributed to animals farting and human activity, but hey these “scientists” have to eat too, so they sit around all day throwing out red herrings fs to the liberal progressive fucks who Ha e to feel special about themselves by becoming SJWs.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    Agree with Meat!
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Why am I not surprised that RandumbMember is a Global Warmist?

I always find it amusing the way that Global Warmists always talk about the "science being settled" and people who question their belief are called "Deniers".

The scientific method calls for open sharing of data and questioning of anything that has been asserted.

Yet we know from leaked emails at the University of East Anglia (ClimateGate) that the people in charge of keeping the official climate records altered data to hide declines in temperatures (Use DuckDuckGo and search on the phrase "Keith's trick to hide the decline") and destroyed the original data.

Taunting people by labeling them as "deniers" when they question your observations isn't part of the scientific method. It is more akin to a religion than science.
  • BrotherFogHorn
    4 years ago
    "For the benefit of some of the TUSCL nutcases who deny climate change, the fires are almost certainly the result of climate change:

www.technologyreview.com"

^^^ rong. Gawd is punishing California for all of the liberalism and homosexual ways. California is full of heathens and sinners and gawd is showing his rath.

Randommember, cum in for confessionsand pray🙏 with me with the head bobbin up and down on my lap 👅 and the spirit of the lawerd will spew all over you and you will be blessed and no longer have to be in The fire
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I thought they were the result of gender reveal parties.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Gender reveal party sparks wildfire

https://www.cnet.com/news/gender-reveal-…
  • BrotherFogHorn
    4 years ago
    For the benefit of some of the TUSCL nutcases who deny climate change, the fires are almost certainly the result of climate change:
    www.technologyreview.com
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Many of these global warming SJWs are constantly flying around in private planes; yachting in private mega-yachts; driving around in big limos or big SUVs, etc
  • BrotherFogHorn
    4 years ago
    ^ Gawd is punishing California for all of the liberalism and retards there. Gawd is giving a preview of what happens id you do not change your ways Randommember. You need to cum i. For confessions with your head Bobby up and down in my lap and the spirit of the lawerd spew all 0ver you and save your soul. Stop being a heathen and a sinner
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^^ not to mention the mega-mansions many of these global-warming SJWs live in and how much energy they must consume and often they have multiple homes
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Papi - Al Gore is onee of the biggest (hypocritical) offenders.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ you mean the guy that invented the Internet?
  • winex
    4 years ago
    He didn't just invent the internet. He invented the pseudo science of Global Warming.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Some on the left demand that we follow the science. Well, with regard to forest fires, the science is obvious and documented. However, in states like California, none of these procedures is followed, leading to catastrophic fires.

Scientific research shows that proactively managing forests can restore ecosystem health and improve habitat quality by using a variety of fire management tools. Selective harvesting, thinning treatments, brush removal, and pruning are practices used by foresters to thin out forests crowded with too many trees, branches, and undergrowth. In areas with an over-accumulation of fuels, a combination of thinning small trees and clearing brush followed by controlled burning can be the most effective method to reducing the risk of catastrophic wildfire. “Prescribed fires” are managed fires used to intentionally clear out heavy vegetation under trees, prepare new seed beds, and dispose of excess wood debris on the forest floor. All of these active fire management tools can make forest fires more manageable and reduce smoke emissions during burning.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Most people who say they follow science think that means liking a paged called "Science" on Facebook so they can see posts on the Science wall.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ exactly - but the ultra-lib tree-huggers in the left-coast have more value for trees than human-life
  • winex
    4 years ago
    What I mentioned earlier in this thread about the religion of Global Warmism is the perfect example of this problem.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    In California, power companies ( PG&E ) are not allowed to trim branches near power lines. So, the wires start fires and the branches collapse the power grid. It’s not rocket science people and it’s not climate change.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Mark94 - if that isn’t proof of everything that Al Gore ever said, I don’t know what is!
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Overpopulation and incompetent forestry management caused the wildfires. Love to see all of Portland burn to a cinder.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Ironic, isn't it? China gets all the water and we get all the fire....
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    They say with all of the smoke you can't smell the teargas
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Windex wrote:" Most people who say they follow science think that means liking a paged called "Science" on Facebook so they can see posts on the Science wall."

Windex, most climate scientists have PhDs in the hard-core physical sciences. What are your credentials, little runt? Why do you think there's a broad 97% consensus position among climate scientists that humans are causing global warming? Is it some sort of conspiracy due to the Chinese or George Soros?

Windex, you're not only an unusually stupid idiot, but you never know when to shut up. That's what makes you unusually annoying. Do you have a job? Because you seem to live here, spamming up the board, 24/7.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @RandomMember - apparently reading comprehension is difficult for you.

Let’s try to make it easier for you. Let’s see if you can count.

How many times do you see the compound word “Cilate Scientists” in the sentence “Most people who say the follow science think that means liking a page on Facebook so that they can see posts on the Science wall,” ?

If you can successfully answer that question, then I will thoroughly discredit the rest of the mindless drivel that you just posted.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    You flat out called climate science a "pseudo-science" and a religion, you dumb fucking runt. Answer the question: what are your credentials. Why should anyone listen to you?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    As I said, you never know when to just fucking shut up -- even when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Dipshit.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    California also is moving toward a goal of 100% renewable energy. That’s solar, wind, and hydro. So, they’ve closed down coal, nuclear, and nat gas power plants.

Now, shockingly, they’ve discovered you can’t power a city like LA with a few dozen windmills in the desert. I mean, who could have possibly anticipated that ?

The level of incompetence by the government, and gullibility by the populous is staggering.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    If that is the post that irked you, why did you pull a sentence from another post?

I have mentioned some of the problems with the religion of Global Warmism and not following scientific method ( this is your cue to call me a “denier” because I don’t vie Al Gore as the Messiah. I view him as a man who received a D in his natural sciences course at Harvard before starting the religion of Global Warmism)

So if you want to have your religious beliefs challenged thoroughly, tell me how many times the compound word “Climate Scientist” appears in the sentence you were quoting.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Mark94 - but, bit, but the people who did this all follow Science on Facebook!
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The “ 97% of scientists” claim is universally repeated, and mostly accepted, but no one cites a source for the claim.

The most likely source is a Zimmerman/Doran survey that represents the views of only 79 respondents who listed climate science as an area of expertise and said they published more than half of their recent peer-reviewed papers on climate change. Seventy-nine scientists—of the 3,146 who responded to the survey—does not a consensus make.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    The other part of the “97% of scientists” number worth examining is the specialty of the scientist.

Is the expertise of a biologist even applicable?

We know from ClimateGate that the climate scientists at the University of East Anglia were destroying and manipulating data to hide the fact that the warming trend wasn’t real.

Those of us who have studied history know that the American Revolution was fought during a period known as the Little Ice Age. Yet if you look at !ichael Mann’s infamous (notorious?) hockey stick graph, the data has been altered to produce a chart that matches the story preached in the religion of Global Warmism.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @RandomMember - Having trouble counting to aro? That’s alright. Math is one of the physical sciences. I am sure that it confuses you.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    I stand by my moniker. Such a Randumbmember!
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Argggh. that should read “having trouble counting to zero”
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    A couple interesting things
    1. Antifa has announced it is behind the forest fires in the NW
    2. A map shows dozens of fires just south of the Canadian border but none in Canada itself.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ link?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s the story I read, but now I see there are lots of denials

https://www.captainsjournal.com/2020/09/…
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Update: Arson arrests made. May be coordinated.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/sour…
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Further update: At least 4 people arrested for starting forest fires. FBI says “extremists” are responsible.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Antifa did not start the fires, nutcase.

Call 911 immediately and ask the psychiatric unit to pick you up. Make sure to request a straitjacket.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    It's best to listen to rumdum, after all he's a space "genious" aren't you rumdum!
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @OSU- Since you crave my attention, there must be 50 articles like this one, with officials pleading with people on social media to stop spreading nutty Antifa rumors:

"Oregon Officials Warn False Antifa Rumors Waste Precious Resources For Fires"

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/13/912449209…

"THIS IS NOT TRUE! Unfortunately, people are spreading this rumor and it is causing problems," the agency said. "Rumors spread just like wildfire and now our 9-1-1 dispatchers and professional staff are being overrun with requests for information and inquiries on an UNTRUE rumor."

There's absolutely no evidence, @OSU, that Antifa arsonists are responsible for the fires.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s the problem. There are sources within law enforcement who have gone on the record suggesting Antifa, or other extremists, may be responsible.

Then, NPR, NYT, and Mother Jones declare these are false rumors.

Then, Randumb declares that anyone who thinks the rumors might be true is mentally unstable.

I don’t know what the truth is. Neither does Randumb.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Mark the source you quoted, law enforcement today, is saying these rumors you are referring to, are unfounded in the article you linked to, and yes you are mentally unstable, I suggest that if there's a shortage of aluminum foil it's because you're hoarding it.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Oh please rumdum don't flatter yourself, the last thing on earth I'd ever crave would be your attention. I was just trying to inform the ragged, unwashed, uneducated, masses of TUSCL that they should pay attention to what a "space genious" like you has to say.

After all let's face it only a massively educated colossus from a top 10 school who overcame the odds of arriving on our shores as an immigrant whore from the alleys of India such as yourself would be able to devise so many different accounts to fool the low IQ posters of TUSCL while passing the time working behind the counter of your neighborhood convenience store.

I salute you rumdum, or should I call you josh43, realdougster, tittyfag dot, mtent, drphil dot, or one of the other names you've used that i don't recall ATM because i never had/kept a score card.

But don't worry about those accounts being exposed, it will be our little secret. 🤐 🤭
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    ^^^ Lol! Randumbmember’s alter egos outed! I knew he was the dot fag from Texas all along!
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    “local Portland media is reporting that a 45-year old man has been arrested for starting at least seven brush fires near a major highway: "A man arrested Sunday afternoon for allegedly starting a small brush fire along Interstate 205 was arrested again hours after he was released from jail after he allegedly started six more small “

Hang the fucker !
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Oregon officials warn = wildfires in the west set by the filthy cum stains called leftists in support of the anti-human campaign called "climate change". I for one would love to see Portland burned to the ground.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The NYT and NPR denies all of this, so I guess that’s that.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/vi…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Lol, you sound like a lunatic, @SkiBirther.

I did a Google search with keywords "Fire Antifa" and the first 25 results all had a headline explaining, in one way or another, that Antifa had nothing to do with setting the fires. Conspiracy-theory kooks are interfering with emergency workers.

Back to climate science, note that my original post (downvoted into oblivion) is from "MIT Technology Review." I can't think of any source that's less political and more authoritative on science and technology. The WSJ quoted the same UCLA climate scientist (Daniel Swain) just a few days ago:

"Why Wildfires Are So Bad This Year in California, Oregon and Washington"
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-wildfir…

Same basic content: "The vast majority of climate scientists say the warming climate has greatly worsened the fire threat."

You'll see increasing acceptance of climate-science in center-right publications like the WSJ as businesses are forced to accept reality.
  • blahblahblah23
    4 years ago
    Ya we been having some horrible air quality out here and some ashes falling from the sky like snow. Gotta love the fucking west lmao. I would have bailed months ago if I didnt try that "real job" thing again plus have a lot of ties to here.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    ^^^ The kind of people who live in the Bay Area are NOT going to let their kids grow up with toxic air quality. If this is yearly occurrence, there will be lots of people leaving California.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The people of the Bay area, like every other terrible virus will infect the rest of the country, like the Chinese, whom Joe Biden bends over for so his stupid children can make money. Of course Antifa had nothing to do with it; they promised and Random smeared vaseline on his ass and believed them as he bent over.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    But you know she loved every second of it. Lol
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    You're an unhappy little guy, aren't you OSU. You can almost smell the stench of your low self-esteem with every post. I'll try to dig up some self-help articles on low self-esteem for you.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Was it maybe lack of academic performance during your childhood years, OSU? We're you the object of ridicule during childhood?
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Shit I figured you could use your drphil dot account to help me. Lol
    After all we know your realdougster mtent or tittyfag dot accounts can't help me don't we rumdum! Dipshit!
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Did i get that right, OSU? Were you mocked as the slow kid during childhood? Is that the source of your low self-esteem?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Just because you went to a crappy school known for nursing is no cause low self-esteem.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    BTW how does being a former Calcutta alley whore explain your desire to suck off all of Antifa and take it up the ass from them? I would have figured once you snuck into the USA that your whoring tendencies would diminish.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I'm not Indian, but it's clear to everyone here that you suffer from low self-esteem. Would you like me dig up some self-help articles?
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    I suppose that your 7/11 clerk job just isn't fulfilling enough.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I'm guessing you know deep down that you're not terribly bright.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Too much curry for breakfast this morning rumdum? You should at least wait until afternoon before you indulge in the spices.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Bright enough to out all of your aliases mr "space genious"!
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Ok not all of them but some of them anyway. So tell us rumdum how many aliases do you really have?
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Crickets? So what you doing now? PMing Founder to cry about me picking on you again? You've shown a consistent pattern of being a whiney little girl.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Are your yoga pants too tight? You shouldn't pull them up to your neck, wear them a little lower.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Due to government bureaucrats, it took California 9 years to develop a map of where PG&E power lines might be a fire hazard.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/california…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ only 9? That's pretty-good for a socialist government
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Four people have been arrested for setting forest fires. We know one of them used Molotov cocktails to start at least 7 fires.

Meanwhile, Randumb blames Climate Change for the fires and ridicules anyone who disagrees with as being low IQ.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The motto of the Democrats is to take advantage of a crisis. They can only win by cheating.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    If there’s any proof of the lack of credibility from Randumbmember, just look at the overwhelming amount of down votes he receives in the majority of his comments, yet he goes on pretending he’s the smartest person in the room. Kind of like a climate scientist does. I guess Randumbmember is so smart he’s more intelligent than the collective body of all other posters, except his multiple aliases. He denounces he’s from India, but never denied the dot faggit’s account or dot Dr Phil or other dots, hmmmmm!

Randumb, give it up! your uppity liberal better than others persona has failed you miserably into the category of SJG and Icey loco. Nobody likes you, and you’ve done it all by yourself. Now go smoke some pole you woke loving Homo!
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Arsonist detained on video. Badass:

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breakin…
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    Wish they would hit Arizona and get rid of u racist cacs
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Want to know who to blame for these fires ? Well, there’s a case to be made for Bill Clinton:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/09/14/w…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Ah, why bother arguing. The feeling is mutual, @Meathead. I've always thought you're a fucking idiot who struggles with the English language. That's not a troll.

Stating my take on reality is more important than being popular. This is a goofy site where the WSJ or "MIT Technology Review" carries far less weight than @Mark's conspiracy-theory sites. Arguing really is a waste of time
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I’m not citing conspiracy theory websites or liberals’ favorite bogeyman, QAnon. I’m stating the fact that arsonists are being arrested. Hell, I just posted one, dressed in black, matches in hand, trespassing on private land. Unless his name is Climate Change, we know who is responsible.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Unlike California and Oregon, Arizona is trying to carry out sensible Forest Management. We still get Forest Fires but not on a scale seen in California.

https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/fores…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Mark-

60% of the forest is on government land. Should government workers go out with rakes and garbage bags? Who is going to pay for it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't really know how the effectiveness forest management. If you don't believe that climate change is making the situation worse, in places like the US and Australia, then I thin you're a crank.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Wah, climate change, wah. The cause of climate change is overpopulation. When you left wing ass wipes figure out how to get rid of 4 billion people, we will listen. Until then fuck the climate and let future generations live like shit.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    “Should government workers go out with rakes and garbage bags? “

Umm, no. They’ve got task-specific, sophisticated machines for culling smaller trees, removing forest floor debris, and transporting this wood for commercial use. The machinery is actually quite impressive.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I admit I don't know much about forest management. Do you have a (legit) link that discusses effectiveness and cost? I'll keep an open mind
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    As far as who will pay for Forest Management, the value of the wood product can cover much of the cost. It might even generate a profit.

The resulting forest, thinned and cleared of brush, is much healthier than before. So, why aren’t we doing this ? Because the religion of Environmentalism is considered more important than the science of Forest Management.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s what the US Forest Service has on Forest Management

https://www.fs.fed.us/forestmanagement/
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s a video of Forest Management equipment in action in one specific situation. A large area of trees has been blown over by high winds, leaving flammable debris:

https://youtu.be/5k3sBlZciCE
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Mark-

I do have some knowledge of fire-mitigation. I live in a custom home community where we're required to take classes on fire mitigation every few years. We have "masticators" that come out yearly that trim brush and create "islands" of brush and 200-yr-old trees so that fires cannot jump from one region to the next. The masticators are at work behind my house every fall.

It's very expensive and paid for out of our homeowner's fees. I'm sure it helps -- but nothing will stop a fire from spreading in the dry drought conditions we have at present. Colorado is in a severe drought. We have about 50 acres of trees here; I'm very skeptical that something like this can be scaled to 33 million acres in California and done in the private sector.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    ^ Well it doesn’t seem like the maintenance work is *that* tough where you live. I mean look at these pictures on google images.

https://g.co/kgs/Uh6jeU
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    More suspicious fires in Oregon

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/deputie…
  • blahblahblah23
    4 years ago
    Ugh we should just publicly execute these fucktards lighting fires intentionally instead of letting them out of jail to do the same thing again. Fktarded west coast bullshit. They also do that with people who steal- just let them all out to do it again hence why wa state has horrid property crime in many parts.
  • BBBC
    4 years ago
    ^ yes maam
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "Arguing really is a waste of time"

Especially when arguing you consistently get slapped around like a Calcutta alley whore right rummydummy.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "Well it doesn’t seem like the maintenance work is *that* tough where you live. "
    https://www.google.com/search?client=saf…

How about that? rumdum has a hill named after him. I'd wager there's also a valley somewhere named after him.
    Dipshit valley.

https://www.reddit.com/r/90dayfianceunce…
  • crazyjoe
    4 years ago
    "We have "masticators" that come out yearly that trim brush"

^ do you mean your wife walks around the neighborhood chewing her cud?
  • crazyjoe
    4 years ago
    https://www.google.com/search?client=saf…

^ lmao, that is an accomplishment having a hill named after you! Good work!
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    This one's for you @Windex, you obnoxious little runt. It's from that left-wing rag, the WSJ. As I said, American businesses are now forced to accept the reality of climate change and they're starting to take action. Only cranks like yourself believe that climate science is a pseudo-science and a religion.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/business-sh…

"In a sign of how much corporate attitudes have changed, the Business Roundtable, one of the country’s most prominent business groups, is throwing its support behind broad-based measures to slash greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. In a statement of principles to be released Wednesday, the Business Roundtable said it “supports a goal of reducing net U.S. GHG emissions by at least 80% from 2005 levels by 2050.” To achieve that, it endorses putting a price on carbon. It didn’t say whether that should be through a carbon tax or a system of tradable emissions permits.

The significance of the statement is that it shows how business is shifting from a source of resistance to a force for action on climate. The Business Roundtable statement represents the consensus of more than 200 members spanning every sector of the economy, from retail, finance and technology to health care, manufacturing and even oil and gas."
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Climate change is real, but the only solution is to cut the world's population in half or more. Other than that its just left wing political bullshit that people with useless degrees believe in because they are inane, mindless, frightened robots. When will the left start fires in Colorado? Soon? Statement of principles lol. Like Kyoto stupid?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Is Climate Change real ? Yes.

How fast will climate change and in what ways ? We don’t know. Experts used to predict warming, then cooling. Now, they just say change.

Does human activity contribute to climate change ? Yes.

To what degree ? We don’t know. All we have are models which are notoriously inaccurate and constantly changing.

Given the above, should we dramatically change our way of life and cut our standard of living in half ? My answer is no, at least not until we know more.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Incidentally, what’s the fastest way to reduce carbon emissions without collapsing society ? Nuclear power.

The modern nuclear power technology is clean and extremely safe. It’s generations ahead of the old Three Mile Island type of plant.

So, why don’t we expand its use ? Good question.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Mark94: "Experts used to predict warming, then cooling. Now, they just say change."

I don't know what you're talking about. This is not esoteric science, not superstring theory. Climate science has been around since the 1870s. C02 absorbs energy from the sun and the concentration of CO2 has increased by about 50% since the industrial age. The concentration of CO2 is easy to measure. Climate scientists have been trying to get everyone's attention for the past 50 years about a catastrophic increase in the Earth's temperature.

I did some quick research and couldn't find anything to suggest that logging could pay for the task of thinning the forests. Only mature trees are of any economic value -- but thinning the forests requires thinning smaller trees, brush, and dead trees. Former Gov Brown in California had proposed a budget of $200M per year. It's very complicated since (approx) 60% of the forests are owned by the Federal gov, 38% is privately owned and only 2% is owned by the state. Mechanical thinning is very expensive at about $1400 per acre (CA has 33 million acres). Controlled burning is $150 per acre but releases toxic smoke. It's going to be expensive if it can be done at all.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    During the 1970z, it was conventional wisdom that the earth was cooling due to human activity, including the use of aerosol cans. Popular media had all sorts of doomsday predictions of a new ice age.

Now, 40 years later, conventional wisdom is that we are facing global warming due to human activity. That’s a complete reversal in a short period of time.

Both of these theories are just that, theories. What little climate data we have to support the warming theory has been shown to have been manipulated. Climate scientists know they will only get research grants if their results fit the current theory.

Anecdotally, why did Barack Obama buy a $14 million beach home if the ocean level is rising. Maybe he knows more about the reality of climate change.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    What a bunch of nonsense. Why don't pick up a book? There's a short book by Michael Mann called the "Madhouse Effect."
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    So, rather than counter my logic, you call me a climate denier and suggest I read propaganda. Well, that’s clever.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Well, yes, keep posting links to your conspiracy theory and pseudo science sites. Lol, what a nutcase
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Name calling, the only weapon available to the logically limited legions on the left.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    All these predictions of catastrophe rely on complex models where you start with a limited amount of observational data, then massage the data with assumptions and adjustments. That’s what is known as “ settled science”.

In the accounting world, adjustments like this are known as “ Amount needed to balance”.

• RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Mark-

It's a question of basic literacy: you seem incapable of being able to seek out legitimate information. You're mired in a bizarre world of conspiracy-theories and pseudo-science. Luckily the business world understands what we're up against, and acceptance of climate science is becoming far less partisan. There will be a lot of tough choices -- but people like yourself will fade away into the lunatic fringe.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @RandomMember - first of all, I must say that though I have been called a lot of things in my life that someone has called me a "little runt".

But given your "ability" (or lack thereof) to make accurate assessments of things, it's not terribly shocking that you are the first to call me that.

With that out of the way, didn't you proudly boast that you put me on ignore?

What happened?

Couldn't control yourself?

That's not surprising either. Though liberals are always trying to control others, they demonstrate absolutely no control over themselves.

And you wonder why people laugh at all of your silly little ideas.

I'm sure that the reason that you called me "obnoxious" and felted compelled to add a superfluous "d" to my screen name is because I committed blasphemy in this thread against your religion of Global Warmism. I even pointed out the fact that your Messiah - Michael Mann erased the Little Ice Age from the record so he could produce his notorious "Hockey stick" graph.

Well, if it helps relieve frustration, and maybe even prevents you from kicking your dog, feel free to add all the superfluous "d";s to my screen name that you want to. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Lord knows that calling me names, misspelling 5 letter words, and kicking your dog is all that you are capable of doing. For me, science isn't just following the "Science" page on Facebook and ignoring the scientific method.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Mark94 - there is a saying in statistics - "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

That saying doesn't apply just to global temperature models. It applies to all mathematical models.

In the case of the models that Global Warmists use, the models are wrong (all models are wrong). And they haven't proven particularly useful.

Not only do the Global Warmist models do a poor job at predicting climate over time in different geographies, they also fail at their intended purpose - panicking people into creating carbon usage taxes.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    My favorite model of all time was the one done in the 1970s by the Club of Rome, a group of the world’s leading scientists. It proved that the world economy would collapse in the near future as a result of over population and pollution.

It caused quite a panic. Then, someone plugged data from the 1500s into the model. It predicted global collapse within a few years. In fact, no matter what historic data was put in, it predicted catastrophe. Oops.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    More proof that Randumbmember is a delusional troll with too much time on his hands. He keeps collecting enemies based on his religion of global warming. Only someone with such little self worth needs to identify himself to a cause, even if it’s a fake cause. Don Quixote was crazy, and charged up windmills. Probably one of the greatest pieces of literature ever created, because it is timeless. Randumb is a timeless idiot who needs constant affirmation of his self worth, hence why he constantly scours tge Internet for left leaning scientific articles, all created by scientists trying to justify their own self worth. Randumb, take your engineering degree and go to a 3rd world country if you need a purpose in life, but stop spreading lies and bullshit on a strip club website. Al Gore is your hero.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The very heart of science is skepticism. All theories must continually tested based on new data. Yet, somehow, global warming has been declared settled science. That’s not science, it’s religion.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I don't know what you're talking about."

For a self proclaimed "space genious" you're just not very bright rumdummy but that's understandable. I suppose you've been bitch slapped so many times your head rattles when you tilt or turn it and we can't expect very much from a Calcutta alley whore who snuck into the USA to work behind the counter of her cousin's 7/11, dipshit!
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - in the same post that you pulled that quote from, Randumb said that climate scientists have been warning the public about global wat i gotta for 50 years.

That is an outright lie.

I lived through the 70s and the concerns of the era were the coming ice age and mass starvation caused by overpopulation.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Winex, I know and I also recall the ice age predictions from the icon scientist of the era, Carl Sagan.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Those morons are oblivious of the fact that there has been climate change on Earth since before man existed.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    On a side note, I really like Carl Sagan. I highly recommend his book Dragons of Eden

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Eden-Spec…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    More like 55 years, idiot,

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/fift…

No @Meathead I don't have an engineering degree
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    I never read any of his writings and I also liked him, watched several programs featuring him but he was wrong about the ice age.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - of course there is climate change. On a small scale, climate change gives us seasons.

On a larger scale, over time the Earth has experienced warming and cooling periods.

There is no question about that.

What is in question is mans role in climate change. In statistics, causality is difficult to prove. One of the oldest sayings in statistics is "Correlation is not causation".

And we have established a system where so called scientist alter data, then destroy the original data and use "Keith's trick to hide the decline" in global temperatures.

By doing so, these pseudo scientists continue to get government grants to spew dubious nonsense while ignoring every tenent of scientific method.

That's alright with governments, because their true goal is control over a large segment of the economy.

What a racket.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I don't have an engineering degree"

Well that's good, we wouldn't want that degree wasted behind the 7/11 counter, Lol
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - given that you remember the doom and gloom predictions about the coming ice age, I am assuming that you are at least my age. (I was 5 when the calendar flipped over to 1970)

So going out on a limb here, I'm guessing one of the programs you watched was Cosmos in the early 80s.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    What's that awful stench? Did someone take a shit in this thread? Oh wait, that's the stench of @OSU's low self-esteem.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The climate central site says this is the 50th anniversary of the first “ climate change” warning. That’s accurate. Here’s a paraphrase of what that warning was:

“ we’re the smartest motherfuckers on the planet. We’re warning you that the world will be a fucking ice cube in a few years. Oceans will freeze. People will die like popsicles. We’re not kidding. This is real. Anyone who doubts us is a climate denier”.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    That awful stench is your stretched out pussy you little whiney bitch!

WAAAAWAAAAWAAAA
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    No Mark, it's more like 55 years and @Windex called me a liar.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @OSU- What do you think is the root cause of your low self-esteem? Were you mocked by the other little boys and girls for being "slow?"
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Or do you feel a sense of shame for something else?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I'm just trying to help!
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "Did someone take a shit in this thread?"

You should feel right at home, you're a whiney walking pile of shit!
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    OSU, maybe that sense of shame is caused by being physically repulsive?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    What do you think?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    You should try to identify the cause of your low self-esteem.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    You are a liar Random - why don't you add an extra "d" to my name. It's better than kicking your dog.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    You called me liar and you got the facts wrong -- as usual.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "What do you think is the root cause of your low self-esteem? Were you mocked by the other little boys and girls for being "slow?""

Projecting again regarding what you went through all those years in that Calcutta alley?
    I heard of the Black Hole of Calcutta but until I met you here I never knew it was the moniker of your stretched out twat.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    We're here to help with your low self-esteem, @OSU. Just try to identify the root cause. There's no shame in being "slow."
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I'm guessing one of the programs you watched was Cosmos in the early 80s."

I got sidetracked with that delusional self absorbed lying insecure Calcutta twat but yes I watched Cosmos.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I don't know about the credibility of the site that you linked to Random. But I do remember the 70's.

Here is an article that was published in Time magazine in 1974
    https://nationalcenter.org/Time-Ice-Age-…

• RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I'm clearly older than you -- so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    That's not surprising TheeOSU. I've stopped watching PBS since then because of philosophical problems with its existence (or it's funding from tax payers anyway - if they need money, they should monetize Sesame Street)

BTW, my father is an OSU alumnus.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    At Random - how old are you?
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    If rumdum is older than you that would make her at least 56. That's very surprising considering her whiney immaturity but I suppose all those years of abuse in those Calcutta alleys really took their toll on her. Well that plus her vivid imagination and the rattles in her head which might also explain her penchant for having so many alias accounts.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Early 50s
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I'm 56.

But our ages are in the general ballpark of each others.

Were you born in this country? The reason I ask is because the coming ice age was common "knowledge" back then. I remember teachers in school trying to indoctrinate me back then. (This was in California, not Arizona)
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I thought you were decades younger. Born in southern CA.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    btw, as you can tell my TheeOSU's accurate response, I have not been shy about sharing my age on this forum.

So unless you are using hexadecimal instead of decimal, I'm older than you.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    In months? With your tantrums you act like a 4 year old.
    So tell us rumdum besides josh43, realdougster, mtent, and the tittyfag and drphil dots, how many other aliases do you have?
    Do they help you cope with your obvious insecurities?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I'm not Indian; that' Spice's troll
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    That was for rummydummy.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Southern California - well I know the kinds of schools that you went to. Fortunately my father exposed me to things at a young age.

I remember watching Governor Reagan give the State of the State speech every year.

My parents let me stay up late to watch the returns from the Nixon - McGovern election.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I just thought you were youger; who cares.

Leaving this train wreck of a thread.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I'm not Indian"

Right! And you're also not josh43, realdougster, mtent, and the tittyfag and drphil dots, and others.

I recall at least one or two others but never took the time to note them. So how many other accounts are you using rumdum?
    Do they help you forget those terrible years sucking off unwashed old men and taking it up the ass in Calcutta?

Maybe if you finally confess, let it out and you won't be such a delusional uptight whiney twat anymore.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Don't run away little girl, this can be very soothing and therapeutic, free yourself and fly like the butterfly you aspire to be!
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I just thought you were youger"

Youger? Oh my, you didn't do your follow up *correction in your next post. You must be extremely distressed, confess and free your soul, Lol
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "those terrible years sucking off unwashed old men and taking it up the ass in Calcutta? "

rumdum, I think I just hit on the explanation for your history of derogatory comments against older men. You're really hurting inside aren't you.
    STS_ Sore Twat Syndrome

• TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Now that I understand your STS affliction I promise to be more understanding of your online acting out. Dipshit!
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "I'm guessing one of the programs you watched was Cosmos"

One last comment before I end tonight..
    We learned from Cosmos, rumdummoron learned from Cosmo Kramer.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Don’t you mean that he tried to learn?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @windex wrote: "Southern California - well I know the kinds of schools that you went to. Fortunately my father exposed me to things at a young age."
    _________
    Your father exposed himself to you at a young age? That would explain a lot.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    So Random is Dougster. Makes sense.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    No you fucking idiot. Just because your parents molested you doesn’t mean that everyone’s did.

BTw, I thought you slithered away from this thread last night because you are such a fucking pussy.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Skibum - I don’t know Dougster. Is he retarded?
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    rumdum was not Dougster, he's realdougster who is/was a troll of Dougster. There's a large thread dedicated to that subject somewhere here but I don't feel like looking for it.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Random is a bigger piece of shit than I thought he was. That is not a small accomplishment.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    FRESNO, CA – On August 18, a California State Park Ranger apprehended Ivan Geronimo Gomez, 30, after he was reportedly observed starting a fire near Highway 1 in John Little State Natural Reserve, according to court documents.

The wildfire, known as the Dolan Fire burned at least 2,500 acres of the Los Padres National Forest.

Gomez is in the US illegally. However, since California is a sanctuary state, he will not be handed over to federal immigration authorities.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Alright, I take back everything I ever said countering Randumbmember. He is right and I am rong about everything I’ve ever stated about climate change. Including my grammar needing correcting.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ stupid libertards - they put their utopia ideology above right and wrong and even over common sense - SMH
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion