tuscl

OT:1,000 Americans move to Florida EVERY DAY as families abandon northern cities

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Title says it all (and oh yeah - "pics or it didn't happen"):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article…

47 comments

• winex
    4 years ago
    I think high taxes and cost of living are a larger issue than anything else.

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but a lot of people are moving to Arizona too.

Forget building a wall on the border with Mexico. We need to build a wall on our border with California.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    with all these people moving, with time NY and Cali will turn red and FL, Arizona, Texas, turn blue
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    I think its grossly exaggerated. States like Florida have a lower cost of living but also lower wages. Akd they lack the social infrastructure you get in places like NY or CA
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Well if Arizona turned liberal, and California turned conservative, the only logical solution would be for me to move to California.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I don't know about anyone else, but I stop reading any post from Icey when I see the words "I think".
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Akd they lack the social infrastructure you get in places like NY or CA ..."

You mean the women getting raped on subway platforms?

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffhp&q=woman+s…
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Papi - I like your choice of search engines.
  • chessmaster
    4 years ago
    People are fleeing the democrats, taxes, traffic and the weather. Everything I hate about Illinois, especially Chicago.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    It is absolutely not grossly exaggerated. In fact, one area in FL saw an increase in construction jobs from Apr - Jun during peak Covid. That’s how strong FL is. People want out of the Dem run cities and there is a flight back to suburbia right now.

Also, imagine what it would be like to be quarantined in a Manhattan 450 sf studio for months on end while you’re paying 2500/mo.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... @Papi - I like your choice of search engines ..."

I'm not so sure DDG is that different from the others - seems I get as few hits of conservative websites
  • winex
    4 years ago
    well at least they don't track you. And they aren't playing with the results from the predictive search.

On the downside, one thing that I have noticed since I switched - no real time stock quotes. There is a 15 minute delay.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Florida has gotten pretty damn expensive if you want to live in a good area, cost of housing is through the roof, cheapest you can find in the three south Florida counties will be about 350K
    rents starting at $1500. for a small apartment, since I’ve lived
    here taxes have quadrupled, and wages for workers haven’t come close to keeping pace, so if y’all are looking to lower your C O L this ain’t the place really
    Even food shopping is more expensive here than in Georgia or the other neighboring states
    Move to Arizona you’ll like it better
    Plus the traffic here is a real pain year round less snowbirds more permanent year round residents
    Don’t come here please
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TwentyFive - you live in New Jersey, right?

Gun laws are pretty restrictive there too. From what I have heard, it's basically impossible to get hollow point.

You are right - Arizona is nice. The weather is great. We do have a bit of traffic in the mornings and afternoons on weekdays. But the duration of our rush hour is short. And rush hour in the Phoenix area usually means that you may slow down to 45 or 50 miles an hour for a few miles on your trip before getting up to normal speeds.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Never lived I New Jersey I’m in Florida since 1989 when I sold my first business in New York where I lived on Long Island , of course I expect some snarky remark but that’s ok with me I’m still Referring anyone who asks me to Arizona we don’t need any more here
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Nothing snarky in that post at all. The reason I thought that you lived in NJ was because you are a NY Giants fan.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Having lived in Florida I place it right at the top of the list of places I would never move to, right in front of New York and California. When we retire we move to the frigid north, just to get away from people moving south.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I’ve been a Giants fan since childhood dad was a fan uncles were fans been going to Giant games on and of since the 1950s, watched them at Yankees stadium, Polo Grounds, Yale Bowl, Shea stadium Giants are my team always will be
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I am sure you are going to be shocked to find out that I am a Cowboys fan. I have been since the days of Roger Staubach.

Oh well, it could be worse. At least you don't like the Eagles or Redskins.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Yes, but then you get shitheads like 25IQ who move to Florida and start voting for all the same liberal bs that drove them out of new england to begin with. The fuckers are to dumb to learn from their own mistakes and direct experience!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I've been a Cowboys fan since 1981 (when i started watching football) - Tony Dorsett is my ATFP
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Hmm, sometime I want to look up what places get the most permanent residents and what places get the most back-and-fourthers. Texas I think was ranked even higher for population growth, but driving through the different cities there is absolutely nothing like Florida or Colorado. In Texas you find mostly the expected Texas plates and places like Florida and Colorado has plates from *everywhere*
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Florida is awesome though. I wouldn’t have minded moving to Tampa or Orlando one bit.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Go fuck yourself gammanut I’ve voted for more Republicans than you ever have for the record jackass Donald Trump is not a Republican nor a conservative
    True conservatives pay for what they buy Trump is always looking to make someone else pay his bills and true conservatives respect the military they don’t call dead soldiers stupid nor do they avoid military service with a phony deferment
    True conservatives treat people with respect don’t call others porch monkeys ( anyone curious that was Gammanut called me and Nina porch monkeys)
    Shut the fuck up you Clayton have me on ignore yet you read everything I post your listed in my follows
    Fuck off little wanna be
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I'm liking you more and more all the time Papi.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @nice spice you’d be welcome here but keep it quiet these newbies are killing us
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Wow - just saw a stat w.r.t. consumer spending for the 2nd-quarter - down by $1.3 TRILLION - yikes

I assume at least have of that is PLs not going to strip clubs
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ that’s just you and me Papi, the rest of these guys think we’re chicken, but the don’t get that they owe, us we brought the prices down, so these broke ass wanna be’s could afford to hit a strip bar
  • winex
    4 years ago
    That's not surprising Papi. The 2nd estimate of GDP last quarter showed a 31.7% decline. Granted that is annualized, so divide by 4 and it was a decline of 7.9%.

But somehow I don't think it was all strip club related

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... That's not surprising Papi. The 2nd estimate of GDP last quarter showed a 31.7% decline ..."

Yeah - but one thing is too see it as 31.7% - and another to see it displayed as -$1,300,000,000,000 - ouch
  • RandomName111
    4 years ago
    This isn’t a huge surprise. With remote working finally sticking... why would anyone stay in a high rent high density northern city (where I am now) when I can drive down to Florida and get a 1br or 2br for less per MONTH than I save in state income taxes alone?

I keep most of my assets in LLCs not personal property, so the tax offsets won’t impact me in any meaningful way.

Planning to move down to Tampa (home of many of my fav clubs in the world and swinger paradise) and ride out the winter and most or all of the next year. Have also considered seasonal rentals there as the rates are still rounding errors compared to the rates for something comparable where I am now.

Politics aside, Florida has a milder flu season and should tolerate this winter better from a pandemic management perspective. No reason not to move down for a bit. The real question will be once things settle down, will people stay?

Since I’m going to buy myself a boat down there to dock at the apt, for me it’s probably yes, though I’ll likely expand into a real home.

When it comes to politics... a lot of us are fiscal conservatives and social liberals. Neither party really works for me, I just want the balance of power to be 51/49 so nobody can screw anything up too badly. Who’s on top can be decided by a flip of the coin.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    The main thing against Florida is it is a giant swamp.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    If you absolutely must come to Florida, go to Palm beach, Broward or Miami-Dade County because that's where all the action is. Northeast FL is boring and unfriendly.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ I'd avoid living in Miami-Dade - it's like living in Latin America
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    and the traffic in Palm beach county and Broward county makes it impossible to go anyplace Northeast Florida on the other hand is not congested and has all kinds of fun stuff to do, that's where y'all should be considering Orlando and Disney and Universal are all within a short ride, and they offer Florida Resident discounts especially geared towards the folks in Pasco and Duval counties, plus property is cheap, a nice home can be bought cheaply and if you negotiate well you can get them to throw in a white polyester suit.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ Nah 25, it used to be cheap in NE FL but not so much anymore. People are snapping up houses faster than they can be built. Lots of big financial services corporations have moved into the J'ville area recently. There is actual traffic congestion now trying to get into J'ville during rush hour.

But I hear Naples/Fort Meyers/Marco Island is still a great place to go. Though I still say that the club scene in SE FL can't be beat., Full nude with alcohol, unlike the boring bikini clubs here in NE FL.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Naples, Marco Island have home prices equal to whats happening in Palm Beach county, Fort Meyers is a retirement community, Cheap is a relative term in your neck of the woods its still possible to buy a new construction 2500 square foot home in a gated neighborhood for under 200K, might have to commute 30 minutes but hell when I left Long Island over 30 years ago the commute to the city was always over an hour from Nassau, and even worse if you went out east to buy a new home in Suffolk County
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ Sure it is - if you want to live in a farming community in Hastings or a crime ridden paper mill town like Palatka, all far from the ocean. But if you want to live in a gated community in desirable places like Duval or St. Johns County, good luck with a 200k budget. 😉
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    But 25 I hear you about commuting to NYC. I used to commute 90 to 120 minutes each way every day from CT. Traffic and home prices have spiked in the last 5 years in the J'ville area, but it's still a dream compared to living in the NYC suburbs. But frankly that could be said of all of FL.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ That I agree with
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Any high income people who stay in states like California and New York are going to get hosed as those governments scramble to replace lost tax revenue. California is talking about taxing people for 10 years after they leave the state. Get out while you can.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The Las Vegas economy has been hammered by CoVid. As repossessions grow in Vegas, that could be a destination for fleeing Angelinos. As long as the Colorado River doesn’t dry up.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I think about joining them every day...
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I won't be moving to Floriduh. I am perfectly happy with my 1547 sq ft retirement home in the suburbs of Atlanta. It's paid for and has almost doubled in value since I bought it 6 years ago. Property taxes are under $600/yr and I pay no state income taxes.

I don't need hurricanes, gators, pythons, lightening, mosquitoes and more humidity. Plus it is well document about all of the weirdos doing weird shit every day.
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    Shadow: I think you've got it "going on" in Georgia for your needs, but kudos to you for being immune to the Georgia weird. I truly believe there are plenty opportunities left in this country to live like a king, even if it it is not to someone elses liking.
  • mjx01
    4 years ago
    All the people fleeing Cali are turing red areas blue.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @Shadowcat I can deal with alligators, pythons, hurricanes mosquitoes, and the general weirdness doesn’t phase me at all, just keep those pictures you post of Georgia girls to yourself and we’ll be good
    😂😂😂
  • Tiburon
    4 years ago
    Did you hear about the woman who gave up her rent stabilzed home and left NYC because of the corona only to realize she needed to come back because it's better than Vermont...where weed is legal.

I sure feel bad she wasted all that money:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion