tuscl

Masks are already disappearing

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:52 AM
A couple of weeks ago I saw a fair number of masks on people who were out in public. All day today, with lots more people now out and about, I've seen maybe a handful. Even many of the store cashiers who were wearing them have stopped. A lot more people are also getting closer to each other again in gas station checkout and restaurant lines, ignoring the tape markers and other attempts at traffic control. I think that all of this panicky stuff has gotten old fast around here, especially in a county like ours, which hasn't seen a spike in new cases in a long time. Soon I suspect that this will go beyond blowing off masks and social distancing and will morph into overwhelming pressure to open things back up so that we can return to normal.

58 comments

• gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Cases continue to steadily climb in SWFL, but never at a rate that overwhelmed an expansive hospital system. I do expect that businesses, as they reopen, would enforce best practices to prevent liability suits.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    What county are you in, let us know where the next spike is going to be !
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Thankfully the virus hasn't decimated my area as much as others, we're far from being a hotspot. But, I was at Lowes and Home Depot this morning and the employees and the majority of people shopping in both stores were wearing masks.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ 25, all that was missing from that ridiculous comment was the girly squeal.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    I think all the masks and distancing stuff will be out the window in two or three weeks. What will be interesting is seeing what the response will be to the inevitable flair ups with Covid cases. I suspect they will be mostly ignored as there is no longer any political capital for another lockdown. Death count already sliding down the news pages.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I see most folks wearing masks when they are out. Even folks driving in their cars appear to mostly be wearing masks in my area. We are still a hot spot - northern NJ. I’ve not been to a local store in about 6 weeks. When I’m out walking in my neighborhood, I keep my distance from others. I don’t wear a mask on walks. I think the NJ and NY areas close to NYC have been made hyper aware of the need to social distance and wear masks. Sadly, they seem to have forgotten to not take shits in public parks. Two weeks ago they opened parks up again, but not restrooms. So folks pissed in bottles and shit in bags - and left it in the parks. I guess we are animals!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    In Miami def more people out and about but people w/o masks are the exception
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Sure my girly squeals are being heard across the southern part of the state, as I have been called to sites in 9 different counties now because y'all can't get mobilized to get projects complete. We are working using full PPE to keep my people and the construction managers safe, as a matter of fact we are including PPE in all of our safety meetings, and require my employees to use it along with any other safety equipment. But RickiBoi keep on riding that motorcycle in shorts and a T shirt no helmet for such a macho man like yourself.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    It’s becoming increasingly clear that the Swedish solution is the correct approach. Isolate the old and infirm. Allow the young and healthy to interact. Sit back and wait for herd immunity. No masks needed.
  • booji boy
    4 years ago
    I guess going out without a mask is the new drinking and driving...
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    I am in NE Florida and here even the delivery drivers are entering businesses without masks. I was got my coffee this morning at a Gate and there were easily 30 people in there getting different things and congregating at different spots, with not a mask in sight except for one of the three cashiers.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    I guess the prevalence of masks correlates with the concentration of cases in an area, but I suspect that even that will only hold for so long.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    @mark - yep, Sweden will have a huge toll getting to herd immunity. In In contrast all other countries will go constant open and closures eventually have a much higher casually count and destroyed economies. Ballsy strategy.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Fairly interesting article: "BioAegis says its ‘inflammation regulator’ is best weapon to fight Covid-19" [view link]
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I guess the prevalence of masks correlates with the concentration of cases in an area ..." In some areas it seems to have to do with the concentration of rednecks
  • richardspayan1
    4 years ago
    Masks are also perceived as an eye sore. Its a cultural thing too. I guess its a trade off between "feeling healthy" vs "feeling free" :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    It seems to soon to declare the Swedish model as the way to go - e.g. if a good vaccine is available b/f year's end (which seems a possibility) then it seems immunity can be achieved at a lesser cost to life
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    My neck isn't all that red and I'm not wearing one. In the past week, I've been in Nashville and Tampa. I have been noticing that maybe 25% of the people in those cities are wearing them. People are keeping their distance where they can though. About half of the restaurants I've been into have their personnel wearing them, half are not. I think it correlates to which network you watch for your News.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Not sure how far up N E Florida you are RickiBoi, I've go one project in Duval on the beach, most are wearing masks around here, one in Brevard a bit inland closer to I95 , seeing masks all over the place, stopped in a Publix to pick up sandwiches and drinks for that crew on Monday, masks were required in that store, I don't believe there are a lot of open retailers that will let you in w/o a mask, but you go on being you, herd immunity isn't much of a strategy, if you can get reinfected with the virus, so that's an unknown quantity.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Masks are required here at stores and at work. I see people wearing them in their own cars alone which is weird
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    We also have way more Asians who has a mask culture before Covid
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Thread number #10 of Rick not being too pleased related to anything related to countering Covid. 🥳
  • carlo6
    4 years ago
    If you don’t like the shutdowns you should be blaming China, the WHO, and the CDC for letting the virus spread here in the first place. Want to fight for your freedom? Stop buying shit from China. It really is that fucking simple.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    My local PBS station is showing a NOVA Covid-19 documentary tonight at 9pm-Eastern: [view link]
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    That pediatric inflammatory disease that seems to be linked to the COVID-19 is scary as hell. It turns the prevailing "wisdom" that seniors are much more likely to suffer serious complications on its ear. It is reported to be in 17 states, and is rapidly rising.
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    Not to stir the pot, but "regular" masks or face coverings that are not meeting N95 standards are not "PPE". They have the same effect as us taking off our shoes and belts in the TSA lines. Actually, they can help a little as a physical barrier but if you are sick and coughing, you should be home anyway.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    My impression is that non N95 masks stop the person wearing them from spreading germs to others, but doesn’t protect the wearer much.
  • 48-Cowboy
    4 years ago
    Heck yeah! Now my bank robber mask will not blend in anymore. People will know my intent
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    Hey Mark94, that is the case with almost all the other masks but the N95 masks filter down to the micron size of the virus which are very small. Medical professional in close, sustained contact with active Covid-19 cases must wear a properly fitted N95, and usually a face shield. They are not easy to breath through...to the point that they carry a warning label.
  • max_starr
    4 years ago
    in Ohio in the country, virtually no masks...as you get in closer to the cities, the percentage increases....maybe 85% wearing masks in Cleveland...Ashtabula County, nearly no one.
  • 79terrier
    4 years ago
    Was at Target and grocery today here in az. 80% + in both stores wearing masks, which surprised me as I've seen much lower numbers recently.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    In my area both cases and deaths are up from last week. I will wear a mask.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Last summer at the beach my nephew built an amazing sand castle. As the tide came in he frantically built a wall is sand, canals and a retention pool. The ocean wiped them out too. Masks and social distancing are no different. They make you feel like you're doing something worthy; but you're not. Your snarky comments about how much you care about others is typical if progressives selfish self importance, but in the end your sand castle just lasted longer, and nothing was saved. If you're afraid be honest and don't pretend there's any other reason than you're afraid and only care about yourself. You stay home. Be safe on you're own merits and leave the less fearful to live or die as they please.
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    25: Where does RD advocate for no masks in this thread. He is simply noting what’s in his neck of the woods. And no one’s opinion on here should change anyone’s mind about what modifications they choose to make to face the pandemic personally. Bubba: In some social contexts, I’ll settle for not being a spreader. My immunities are ok and I’m not hanging out with many (family only) in enclosed confines. In the open air where the density of people is moderate - I’ll take the ski bum risk. Currently I have not hung out w my friends in 8 weeks and see no reason not too in an open air situation. Since we usually hang out in a bar - it will be interesting to see if we modify our ingrained behavior.
  • davephx
    4 years ago
    Not wearing a mask is just plain selfish like drunk driving - you are a danger to others. You can have no symptoms and be a carrier. Cloth masks protect others from your breathing - reports show just talking can spread virus 8 feet and last in the air for as I recall 20 minutes. Surgical masks are about 50% effecting to protect you as well as others. N95s are 95% effective in protecting you. While the majority of cases in older folks, all ages can get or transmit without knowing they are infected.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @rockie if that’s so tell us why RickiBoi uses snarky put downs of anyone who pushes back on his non scientific declarations sorry rock he has an agenda prolly fueled by his own problems and political views.
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    @mark94 “My impression is that non N95 masks stop the person wearing them from spreading germs to others, but doesn’t protect the wearer much.” … and an N95 mask with an exhale valve designed to make it easier to breathe and widely used in hospitals provides great protection to the wearer but does absolutely NOTHING to protect others from the wearer. Just sayin’ Not that I think anyone cares but these are my personal mask wearing decisions: N95 masks. I have medical grade N95 masks that I purchased years ago before the public knew what they were. They were gathering dust on the shelf of a pharmacy and at about $2 for a box I figured they were cheap insurance in case there was ever a, of I don’t know, a contagion or something in which case they would become unobtainable in about two minutes. I have yet to use them as the threat, as determined by me, has not become high enough to waste them. Surgical masks. I have a fair supply of these, again medical grade not the worthless imitations now being peddled by the profiteers. I have traveled with them for many years and occasionally used them if in a confined area, such as an airplane, when there were obviously ill people. I use them now when I enter a crowded store as I am in a moderate risk category. That time of use amounts to a few minutes per day/week. Cloth bandana. I wear these when out and about. I will usually raise it to cover my nose and mouth when in the presence of other people especially if they appear uncomfortable. Its usefulness is negligible medically to me and only slightly to others but my decision to use it is more about other peoples’ psychological comfort. As to whether to mask or not, I’d recommend that you make a best informed judgment based on your own situation but as I say about tipping strippers, be a nice guy and don’t be a cheap assed bastard. In other words have some consideration. Oh yeah, and I don’t drive around alone in a car wearing a mask. ***Now an editorial comment to those screaming harpies who say I shouldn’t wear medical grade masks but should instead reserve them for frontliners. FUCK YOU! Your failure to plan does not constitute an emergency on my part. I will decide who, if anybody, I will share with. And I’m sure as hell not going to donate my meager supply to anonymous frontliners only to see Governor Cuomo use those masks to make an art project that he can pose next to as he runs for president. And if you didn’t know, he is running with the expectation that Biden won’t make it to the convention and that he, Cuomo, can step in as a last minute savior.
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    So far I have yet to put on a mask... I actually do not have one. At the grocery store maybe a third of the customers had one on and all the employees. Yesterday I met a client for coffee, no masks other than employees. They had removed about half the tables from the coffee shop. There is no doubt this is a serious issue, there is also no doubt that it has been politicized to hell and back
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "@rockie if that’s so tell us why RickiBoi uses snarky put downs of anyone who pushes back on his non scientific declarations sorry rock he has an agenda prolly fueled by his own problems and political views." Nobody has a firm handle on the science of this virus, as evidenced by the wide divergence in medical opinions on transmission. Not long ago many "scientists" were posting absurd predictions of upcoming FL death rates, crying out that DeSantis waited too long to close. In hindsight letting people collect paychecks for another two weeks before finally closing was one of the best decisions that he has made, along with aggressively protection nursing homes. As far as the masks are concerned, I too am seeing them more in stores. But out around town not so much. Just pointing out that tolerance is already starting to wane around here.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "So far I have yet to put on a mask... I actually do not have one." Truth be told, neither do I, lol.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    "Truth be told, neither do I, lol." ------------------ Well good for you, nutcase. It's about the simplest and kindest thing you could do for society -- but I'm sure you consider it a violation of your rights as an American.
  • RedJohnson
    4 years ago
    Randumb stop being such a baby. If you haven't noticed by now, the virus is not going away. Living the next several months like we are in some otherworldly quarantine zone is neither desirable nor sustainable. At some point we're going to have to accept that the vulnerable may simply need to be extremely cautious for some time to come while the rest of us go back to living our lives. I am already back in the office each day and soon we will be taking my kids out to enjoy their Summer break, which will include trips as more areas open up. I have zero intention of making them wear masks either. I won't make them live in fear of something that won't hurt them anyway. The young still have to live, even if old folks are rightly scared.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Wisconsinites are partying like crazy! No masks.
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    25: There is no doubt that the snark (or contrarian position is real), but to react to what he doesn’t say is pavlovian and makes you his bitch. You can do better than that as an adult!
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    Masks are the law in most of California. LA is closed for at least three more weeks. Many tech firms have told their employees to not return to the office in 2020. Some have even made positions permanently remote. Manufacturing folks such as Tesla have returned to work this week, but almost all white collar jobs are still remote.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    rockie we know where you stand, actually says a lot more about you than me.
  • RamPaige
    4 years ago
    I was grabbing some water at my local Duane Reade (owned by Walgreens), they masks back in stock. They were charging a box of 50 for $30!
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    It seems masks, and whether one wears one or not, has become a symbolic gesture of ones viewpoints. At my essential employment, my boss (different boss than the one I mentioned in a thread the other day) was not wearing one. A customer (30 something year old wearing an n95) saw that from a distance and was complaining to me. I shrugged and changed the subject because what the heck does he want me to do about it?
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "rockie we know where you stand, actually says a lot more about you than me." No debate would be complete without one of 25's failed attempts at profundity. 😉
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ditto
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    No debate would ever be considered complete without RickiBoi trolling every statement
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ What do you expect when you try to hide behind ridiculous fortune cookie posts? :)
  • 48-Cowboy
    4 years ago
    ^ What is a fortune cookie post? Is 25 chinese?
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Great question 48. A fortune cookie post is an intentionally ambiguous attempt at seeming wise with a profound sounding statement that actually says little. Basically the type of quote found on the little slips of paper that are inserted into fortune cookies. I'm guessing that 25 eats a lot of Chinese food. Except unlike most of us, he keeps those little slips of paper for times like this. 😉
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Confucius say RickiBoi is not good fortune teller rong most time 😁
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Went for a haircut today. Barber had no mask or gloves. Business as usual. This "new normal" looks surprisingly like the old normal
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    25: I'm completely comfortable that I am an adult male. My childhood was not micromanaged by a collective mind set that didn't find it healthy for children to compete, fail, recover or not, win or lose. It was a time where you might banter boldly with your best friends, but still remain friends and not be butthurt because your snark wasn't op to snuff that day. That I am flawed in your eyes, will not have me losing any sleep at anytime. I also grew up in a time (60's) where it was not a requirement that we all had to agree on anything and that was a part of being an individual person in this country.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Don't worry rockie I'm not losing any sleep either, have a fine day .
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion