tuscl

#BoomerRemover

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
I guess the youth in some countries are already getting tired of social distancing to avoid something that really doesn't impact them, so they are flaunting the quarantine requirements. This hashtag (and others like it) has even been found spray painted at big gatherings and over the Twitter universe.

Now I may seem callous to some, but this is going too far by any stretch.

41 comments

• doctorevil
    5 years ago
    Don’t be such a goddamn snowflake.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    The youth is not versed in responsibility. Their concerns are having fun, and if anything gets in the way of them having fun, these will be the consequences. Social media is also the #1 thing affecting the youth negatively, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    Aging is just a part of natural selection. When an animal gets old and slow, they get eaten. When a human gets old and slow, apparently, they get a contract from the Chargers or the Bucs.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    A younger customer (below 30) I had danced for when in Tampa messaged me last night and asked when I’m going to be back in club I was working at in that city. Definitely in contrast to the other customer (60something) who was gung ho about wanting me to return to the club (or even better, his house) but I kept pushing it off because I wanted to be completely recovered from being sick. Then it occurred to him to ask in detail what was wrong with me, and once it occurred to him that I may have gotten Coronavirus—he changed his tune to be ALL about “oh yeah make sure you’re completely better”

No idea whether I had gotten it, but I really hope so. Then it’s out of the way and I can focus on more important things. And I have less worry when I’m visiting my parents eventually (still going to wear a flu mask around them as a precaution though)
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Experience and treachery will always beat youth and brute strength
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    I suppose I can understand the mentality somewhat from a selfish POV—my parents are the main reason I personally care.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "Experience and treachery will always beat youth and brute strength"

Tell that to the COVID-19 virus. It didn't get the memo. ;)
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    So many more asymptomatic stories popping up of people of all ages. It's as though you have to 1) Assume you have it and take steps not to pass it on to high risk people. 2) Assume any one you come in contact with regardless of age.... has it.
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    "So many more asymptomatic stories popping up of people of all ages. "
    I wonder how many false positives the COVID 19 screening test produces. I haven't seen anywhere the accuracy of that test. Could these celebs saying they tested positive, but have no symptoms just be a false positive? also, why were they tested in the first place if they are asymptomatic.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Well RickiBoi is old fuckers (Boomers) are the folks ordering the shut downs so I guess you lose LOL
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    I think if you came in contact with some one who is sick or positive or traveled to a high risk area that is reason enough for them to test you.
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    Test accuracy? Haven't really seen that anywhere.... about half way down... "highly unlikely"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati…
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I'd be more concerned about a false-negative

😄
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    @Longball300 thanks for the link. A USAtoday article stating "highly unlikely" is fine, but most tests have published sensitivity/specificity percentages. Haven't seen that anywhere and I have looked.
  • nickifree
    5 years ago
    Just tell them that’s it’s really “The Greatest Generation” that the virus is decimating. You know the ones that saved this country fighting the Nazi and going through the Great Depression.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @nickifree not many left I think the youngest WWII vets are at least 93 years old and the depression era was from October 29, 1929 so not many of that generation left.
  • BBBC
    5 years ago
    Awww, poor rick. You can come over here and sit on my lap and we can talk about it.
  • BBBC
    5 years ago
    The clubs are mostly closed so you won't need to grease bouncers of stroke managers
  • Roadworrier
    5 years ago
    Anybody (including millennials) can be carriers of the illness even if they don’t experience the symptoms. Bottom line is 85% of the fatalities are happening to people 60 and over, and it may be the result of millennials that are carrying the virus and don’t know it. (I’m 59 so the timing of this may be fortuitous).
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    Regarding false positives: that's why the media keeps reporting on "presumptive" cases. Essentially there's a quick and dirty test, and then there's a super accurate test that takes 5 days. The first can give false positives in rare cases the second really can't.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Since I am in the "Silent Generation", I'll just be quiet.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    How else are they gonna move out of the basement & into the master bedroom?
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    https://trends.google.com/trends/explore…
    Search trends are going down. Can’t rely on the rebellious youth it seems.

But then again, why take greater risks if the checks are about the same or even better?
    https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/4904…

Not giving out an opinion. Just thought it was interesting 🤔
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Poor Rick will have to stay broke. 😷
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/ne…

This is the game changer. Five million tests over the next few weeks. 99% sensitivity / 91% specificity. They guestimate 20-25% asymptomatic exposures. It seems exposure imparts at least temporary immunity. That would be a whole lot of people that could return to the workplace without risk of transmitting or acquiring covid 19.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I don't blame young people at all. I will not pretend that I would do differently if I were their age and I won't pretend that if any activity I enjoyed was open, I wouldn't be there. now.
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo - They are finding false negatives to be a problem.
    I've read some guessing China had as much as 50% false negatives, and a different source estimate 30% in the US.
    The swab has to get pushed like way the hell up your nose until it pushing your eyeball out (or feels like that, I hear) and that, in itself, is a problem for most of the testers to get it that far up most of the tested. And even then there is a chance you you might just not collect enough cells to get some with whatever it is they are testing a chemical reaction to.
    Considering that in most area of the country, people aren't getting tested unless they show symptoms and seek out testing or medical assistance. And you have to be tested for the flu first? (I wonder, if your flu test is positive, I'm sure you can be infected by both!!!)
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/questions-a…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    That does look encouraging @Justin -- antibody test with on-site results in minutes. We can start handling the lockdown with a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer. I'd love to get the antibody test, myself.

Some of the estimates I've read are 6x asymptomatic exposures for every confirmed case.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Alan Blinder (former Fed vice-chair) wrote an editorial in the WSJ, early on, stating that pouring money into testing is more important than the stimulus itself. Makes sense.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Same news as @Justin's post in NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/healt…
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Be interesting when they test everybody and find out the death rate is similar to .. the flu.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    This will be the one to put people back to work and give everyone peace of mind. Almost makes you want to be exposed...... Where's that shot of Crown mixed with COVID?
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Ski: "Be interesting when they test everybody and find out the death rate is similar to .. the flu."

^^ The flu's pretty bad, considering 70% of people in the US get vaccinated every year and it still kills 20k.
    Imagine how many the flu would kill without a vaccine? (I guess we'll have a much better idea in 2021 now won't we?)
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    —>”Bodysphere is currently in talks with federal agencies and states to immediately deploy test kits to hospitals, as well as urgent care and emergency rooms across the country.”

If it works out well, hopefully it will be soon employers have access to it too. Give tests to employees immediately and send somebody home until they recover. Or better yet, individuals. (But maybe have purchasing rations in place 😅) Will bring up confidence faster from consumers. at least that’s what I speculate.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    During the second week of March the United States military indicated that soldiers who received flu vaccines were 36% more likely to catch the corona virus. Over the past 14 years the effectiveness of the flu vaccine has averaged less than 41%. Prior to that the WHO reported it works between 10% and 60% of the time. This is something not going away, regardless of reaction.

Very good point Spice.

I have asked myself the same question Long. I always prefer the ripping off of the bandaid.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "Poor Rick will have to stay broke. 😷"

You got me nice25.

Thank goodness that the Gov just prohibited foreclosures and evictions for 45 days. Phew - stay of execution baby!

I had money for groceries but then I got an itch that only a crack ho could scratch, so there went that. But no worries, the foodbank still has plenty o' food. They even had those knock-off generic Nilla wafers the kiddos like so much. Woo-hoo! The kids'll be happy that they got a few days off from dumpster diving!

No utility shutoffs either, Hallelujah! If only the phone and cable cos would get on board. Guess it'll be a race against the devil to see if I get stimulated by the government before my comms go dark. S'pose I could always have the kiddos visit next door and steal the neighbors' WIFI password if I have to...

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to limp along. 😉
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    “During the second week of March the United States military indicated that soldiers who received flu vaccines were 36% more likely to catch the corona virus“

There is a simple explanation possible. People who are in a position to be infected by flu ( frequent contact with lots of people ) are more likely to seek out a flu vaccine.
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    @skibum - do you have a link to reference that?
    It seems odd that anyone in the military would make a statement like that. Considering that on March 14, there were still only less than 3000 recorded cases in the US, hard to understand how there was a large enough sample size of infected soldiers to gather any meaningful data?
  • Musterd21
    4 years ago
    I don’t want to get sick or spread any thing, so I am being careful. But I have noticed some people being more friendly. When I am working around the house I dress like the gardener. I have had several well dressed ladies speak to me out of the blue. When I do go out to the store for people I leave the groceries on their porch.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I am toostupid to post links. The article I read on the 35% figure comes from: disbledveterans.org. The article was from 3/11/2020.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion