tuscl

Xenophobia against Asians in TJ?

How's the atmosphere for Asian travelers in TJ right now? I've already been to TJ couple times and every visit, there were waiters, strip girls, or random local stranger calling me Chino(Chinese), even if I'm not Chinese. They pretty much call any East Asian they see as Chino. Obviously very racially biased derogatory term, but I'm just too much of a pussy to confront anyone about it, especially in a foreign country. But now due to corona virus, I wonder if the sentiment towards Asians has gotten any worse? Can any Asian guy share the recent experience in TJ right now? I really wanna go there soon, but I'm scared/concerned..

61 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I think you're overreacting - I'm Hispanic and calling someone Chino is not meant to be derogatory - when my mom was young she had slightly slanted eyes and her family referred to her as "China" (female version of Chino) - Hispanics tend to be informal and having nicknames for people that look a certain way is common and not meant to be derogatory - e.g. they use the term "guero" to refer to fair-skinned people including Mexicans, etc.
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo
    So you would be okay with me calling you or any Hispanic "wetback" as long as I don't have an intention of being derogatory, but merely just stating out the statistical phenomenon?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ you're a fucking moron - it's probably best you keep your uptight ass in SoCal
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo
    At best, it's just a very insensitive comment. If I called any Latino I see as Mexicano or Guatemalteco, that should be okay? Apparently, it's not because when I thought this co-worker at my restaurant was Mexican, but he lashed out at me saying he is not Mexican, but Guatemalan and pointed out to me that they are not the same.
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo
    You seem offended, why? I think you are the uptight ass one here. I mean, you think calling someone Chinese cuz they look like Chinese(slanted eyes) should be okay, so why wouldn't calling all Mexican "wetback" be okay cuz you exactly look like those crossing the Southern border illegally? Is my analogy any wrong?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    ^So what is your favorite flavor of bubble tea?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    What tastes better, ramen or pho?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Do you prefer PF Chang’s or Pei Wei?
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Anyone else been to Chino CA?

Etymology
    The land grant on which the town was founded was called Rancho Santa Ana del Chino. Santa Ana is Spanish for Saint Anne, but the exact meaning of "Chino" has been explained in different ways. One explanation is that the "Chino" (curly-haired person or mixed-race person) was the chief of the local Native American village.[9] The president of the Chino Valley Historical Society, drawing on US Civil War-era letters, designates the "curl" referenced in the toponym as that at the top of the grama grass that abounded in the valley.[
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    Why do you give two shits what anyone calls you? Are you not comfortable enough with yourself to not allow names to bother your sensitive side? Who the fuck really gives a shit?
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @Nidan111
    So if a black person gets bothered by being called "Nigger", that means he's not comfortable with himself?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Did you prefer algebra or geometry in high school?
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    What’s your favorite anime?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Do you know how to drive?
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @nicespice
    I took them in junior-high. In high-school, I took Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math. Favorite anime is DragonBall lol
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @twentyfive
    I don't actually as I just am here as an international student and haven't had a need for a driver's license. Maybe once I get a job here, I might get it.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    damn. i grew up in upland in the fifties and the sixties. not far from chino. i guess i was totally unaware.
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @Jascoi
    How old are you now, sir?
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Jascoi - You missed out. It was fun to drive by the women's prison and see all the girls outside. :)
  • HornyAsianBro
    5 years ago
    @shadowcat
    and how old r u, sir?
  • ime
    5 years ago
    Coddled student goes out of his safe space and sees the real world, just roll with it pussy you get no extra victim points for being sensitive. If you can't deal with a little slang let alone in another country probably should stay home.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    I am 87
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    ^^^ oooh shit! Wrong account 😪
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i’m 69. and in two months i’m 70.
    damn frikin old.
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    Damn, all the negative replies to what I thought was a fair question. Obviously to him the term 'Chino' is derogatory. I know I don't call any of my Asian friends Chino. The only real derogatory word I know for Asians is 'chink' and I would never use that term either.

And the phobia towards Asians in the past couple weeks with the Corona virus fear is real. I've seen posts all over the internet, including my Facebook, where folks are talking about staying away from Chinatown or any areas with a lot of Asians for fear of catching it. It's a damn shame.

So his question was justified IMO. I know a lot of Asians visit Hong Kong TJ so I'm curious also whether the girls act more scared/avoid them or if it's just business as usual.
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    @HornyAsianbro that's kind of surprising that you said you don't drive. I don't know how long you've been here in CA but if you plan on staying for awhile you're gonna find out really soon that you're gonna need a license and a car if you wanna be able to do stuff. Public transit in the Bay Area is kinda shitty.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Who knew that a Chink could be so hypersensitive? The ones I have known were made of tougher stuff.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    I never thought of ‘chino’ being derogative .
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    @Dugan I wonder if you would walk up to a random Chinese guy on the street who had 100 pounds and a foot of height over you and say 'hey what's up Chink?' with your hand outstretched? Since all the ones you've known were made of tougher skin surely this random stranger would have a good chance of being like that as well, right?

It's a shitty thing to call an Asian person and you know it. Not that I'm surprised, seeing two years worth of your posts. No matter what you answer I know damn well you wouldn't dare pull that shit in person.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Look, I get it AsianBro. By now you'd think that people living so close to the CA border would know the difference between a Chink and a Gook. Sheesh. They also do that with beef, calling it generic "carne" despite the dramatic differences in cuts. They just don"t appreciate that while all steak maybe beef, not all beef is prime rib or filet mignon.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    all i know now i should avoid beef and shell fish because of gout issues.
    i frikin hate it.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Chino isn't derogatory. Its used for anyone with small or slanted eyes. Its not the equivalent of chink. Now if they were calling you senor chin chon lmao
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Also note when anti Asian sentiments were high in the US. Many found refuge in Mexico. Check out mexicalis Chinatown when youre not busy looking for hookers
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    To the @OP, I don't have enough street-smarts to know whether "chino" is derogatory. I *do* know that you've come to the wrong place to discuss racial stereotypes. This is what passes for humor on a place like TUSCL:

https://tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=6947…

It's a troll of a South Asian character @aPoopDeep who smells like shit, works in a convenience store, and gropes all the dancers.

I've never been to TJ -- but I would keep your mouth shut in a foreign country and wouldn't expect anything of value from the crew on this topic.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "I would keep your mouth shut in a foreign country and wouldn't expect anything of value from the crew on this topic."

Actually I think that this crew has been very helpful. They told him that: (1) the Mexicans use racial designations a lot more casually than we do here; AND (2) they have much less tolerance for hypersensitive snowflakes; SO (3) he should just pretend to be a man and roll with it. All very sound advice IMHO.

As far as his being worried about being a pussy, that ship sailed when he let this bother him so much that he didn't grasp the cultural nuances in play.

It's a good thing for sure that we've edited a lot of racist language from our lexicon. But when I snowflakes like AsianBro I really wonder if the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    OP: How's the atmosphere for Asian travelers in TJ right now?
    I don't KNOW [personal experience / reliable reports] the answer; speculate tho - CORVID-19 + reported substantial Chinese investment in Mexico = some fear, resentment passively masked into negative vibes toward U whom Mexicans incorrectly identify as Chinese.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    Welcome HAB.
    [1] Word of warning: As with any new poster you are automatically placed on Troll Watch. Members will follow your posts and comments to decide if your TUSCL persona adequately reflects a real person vs an attempt to deceive for malicious purposes. Nothing personal just board's collective experience with malicious trolls.

[2] From your bio: HornyAsianBro
    An international student at Stanford. Aspiring future software engineer in Big 4 in Silicone Valley.

You might check out:
    "How to Live with an Engineer
    Improve communications with the techie in your life
    Camille Minichino"
    Samplecontent:
    We wouldn’t want to live without them, those special, lovable, smart, helpful people. We laugh at engineer jokes:
    The optimist says the glass is half full; the pessimist says it’s half empty. What does the engineer say?
    Answer: why is there twice as much glass as there needs to be?

Three characteristics stand out in communications with engineers: they’re troubleshooters, they love numbers, and *they love to argue*. Understand these traits and never again be frustrated in an argument with a techie.

You: I’ll never get all this done by Friday.
    What you want to hear: Poor you, stuck with a demanding boss.
    What your engineer says: You’ve taken on too much. Ask your boss for an assistant. Maybe Helen can help you.
    Immediate problem solving vs initial communication of empathy.

Engineer’s question: How many blouses do you need?
    You (interpreting negatively): Are you calling me a spendthrift, with too many clothes? Are you saying I have too much closet space? You have the whole garage for your stuff.
    What the engineer meant: How many blouses do you need?

Explanation: The engineer is curious. How many blouses do you need? If you have fewer than you need, he’ll buy one for your birthday; if you have more than you need, he’ll help you sort through them and prepare a bag for a charity donation.
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    @HornyAsianBro

Allow me to answer your question and misunderstanding.

“You seem offended, why? I think you are the uptight ass one here. I mean, you think calling someone Chinese cuz they look like Chinese(slanted eyes) should be okay, so why wouldn't calling all Mexican "wetback" be okay cuz you exactly look like those crossing the Southern border illegally? Is my analogy any wrong?”

It is not the “words” it is the intent. @Papi was trying to let you know some people use a word with no ill internet.

In Spanish in Mexico the word “chino” in addition to mean “curly”, a person with curly hair it means a person with so-called Asiatic features, “slanted eyes” it is definitely not used as an insult.

You might still have some resentment about something because you tried to insult @papi who is an American citizen with family from Cuba with a derogatory term used against Mexicans, like you don’t know the difference.

Like white people wanting to use the “n” word, because rappers and African Americans are using it.

Again the internet from most African American using the “n” word is to turn the meaning around an use it a s a term of endearment among themselves it is a different intention.

Even the spelling becomes different the “n” word among people of color is “nigg*” while the “n” word among racists whites id “nigg*r”.

I can believe they don’t teach that at Stanford, but you have to learn it from somewhere..
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    And the answer to your question:

Is my analogy any wrong?”

Yes, of course.
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    "They pretty much call any East Asian they see as Chino. Obviously very racially biased derogatory term,"

As others have pointed out "chino" is a descriptive term (such as calling someone "White") but yes, like many expressions it can be derogatory, no worries, if you are offended by it that is your right.

As a former TJ Monger the most important thing in TJ is money, if you have it most of the BGs will provide a decent to great experience; however, I understand the concern with the news regarding the Corona Virus.

Just mi dos centavos:

You are projecting very negative engery and I think that negativitiy will affect your time in TJ, probably better to wait for the situation with the virus to subside.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    it’s just another flu.
    unfortunately up to one hundred thousand die each year from flu.
    if flu doesn’t get you something else will.
    i’m guessin heart issues will get me.
    both my parents died of heart issues.
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    I’m just wondering what type of pants the op wears when he visits? Are they dockers flat front chinos? Maybe they are just saying nice pants?
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    Also, if I’m getting some pussy, I don’t care what term they call me, as long as the pussy is wet and pungent!
  • captainfun
    5 years ago
    I'm surprised how many played along. This smells like trolling from the jump. Brand new account being the dead giveaway and then egging people on thereafter.
  • TJ Lee
    5 years ago
    Chinos are always welcome there, just bring your 444 stereotype with you :-)
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Rereading the thread, I think it's likely a troll.
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    Shit, guess I'm just too trusting then. Taking these trolls seriously way too often.

I've heard the term chino before but didn't know if it was derogatory or not. Glad some other folks cleared it up. Shit, even Icey dropped some knowledge that was actually corroborated by other posters.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Could be @Meathead since the theme of submissive nerdy Asians is part of his shtick lately.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    can i simply go naked so no virus can hang on me?
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    Might be troll account, don’t know, but certainly taking a more serious approach than that gay asinine East Indian fag account that was about as funny as herpes.
    My 2 cents: too sensitive on being called chino. It’s like whites being called gringo and it ain’t anywhere close to being called the N word. So get over it.
    I was there 3 weeks ago and lots of East Asians as usual, as well as more Sourh Asians (Indians) than I recall from the past. Didn’t seem to be any issues. All seemed to be having a good time.
    Sure, some ladies might worry with what’s happening. But when there’s 100 or so working each night, you’d probably find many that aren’t concerned.
    But if it worries you, postpone your trip for a couple months in hopes that this blows over like other diseases have in the past.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ It's either a troll or paranoia, there's no shortage of either one on TUSCL.
  • nemesisk7
    5 years ago
    Asians dont like other Races of men fucking their women , Mexico aint for you chino
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    then i’m in trouble.
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    @jascoi

I would be in trouble too with the Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, and the Cambodians.

Thank goodness Latins do not give a shit who anyone else fucks.
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    These women are whores, not girlfriends. Just going to HK should make it obvious.

They aren’t street walkers, but there should be no perception these girls are anything other than sex workers.
  • rogertex
    5 years ago
    Allright fellas - this is love site to discuss and appreciate women, especially dancers (& TJ).
    Xenophobia - whoever gets that bug is doomed.
    Let's end this thread with a pretend conversation:

Waiting for elevator at NYSE (New York Stock Exchange)

HornyAsianBro: Man, the stock market is crazy. Someday up, then DOWN, then up, then more up, then more down .... (shaking his head)

Papi_Chulo: Fluctuations

Total quiet inside the elevator. Then as both come out of the elevator.

HornyAsianBro: FLUCK YOU AMERICANS !
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Troll or not op voiced a concern about how Asian masculinity is viewed basically.

• RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I'd say there's a 99% chance that this is a troll meant to mock Asian stereotypes. Note:

(1) The @OP is not a student at San Diego State hopping the border to Tijuana; this is a genius-level guy going to Stanford. It's hard enough to get into Stanford as a US Citizen, but it's twice as hard to get in as an international student. And yet the writing quality is piss-poor.

(2) High school students don't take linear algebra or discrete math. Most likely the OP Googled something that would sound impressive.

(3) As @Icey points at, the OP goes out his way to say that he's afraid to be assertive which is another Asian stereotype.

(4) THe clincher is probably the OP's avatar which is repulsive, misogynistic, picture of some submissive Asian girl taking a dildo-shaped candy with multiple men in attendance. This is the kind vile stupidy that's @Meathead's signature and why I wouldn't be surprised if he's behind it.
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    @RandomMember "I'd say there's a 99% chance that this is a troll meant to mock Asian stereotypes."

If you're right, then he's probably got an axe to grind with an Asian guy. Maybe a Chinese dude fucked his mom in the ass. Maybe a Korean native stretched out his sister's snatch. Or perhaps a Thai guy came in his wife's mouth while he was at work.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Smart talk
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion