tuscl

Law Enforcement Priorities

mark94
Arizona
Well, I guess it’s better than busting strip clubs:

The residents of Hillsborough County, Florida, can sleep safely tonight following the arrest of 118 people for performing unlicensed contracting work as part of a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office sting known as "Operation House Hunters."

The sting, according to Patch, saw sheriff's deputies pose as homeowners seeking handymen on social media to do jobs that required licensure. These unsuspecting handymen would be lured to one of five homes, where undercover deputies filmed them performing or agreeing to perform prohibited tasks like painting or installing recess lighting.

23 comments

• doctorevil
    5 years ago
    Unlicensed handymen! The horror!
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Damn. What a waste of resources.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    I will sleep better tonight knowing that unlicensed handymen won't be repairing my house.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I can think of many reasons why credentials should be checked and unlicensed individuals and/or companies should be subject to scrutiny, this is idiotic goes in line with a lot of other stupid positions that seem to be popular among this group
    How do y’all feel about unlicensed doctors practicing medicine on unsuspecting patients or retailers selling products that are unsafe like lead toys for children.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Most of these unlicensed handymen prey on the elderly and scam them out of thousands upon thousands, but obviously some people here don't view that as a crime. The America of today simply fucking blows.
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    Painting? I can almost understand the electrical wiring aspect....

Hope they don't come arrest me next time I eat some 110 trying to wire a three way switch.
  • Electronman
    5 years ago
    Unlicensed handymen. Ridiculous. Unlicensed hand jobs, well that's a different story.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    When hiring any contractor or handyman it is a good idea to also make sure that they are insured.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    Police officers have to generate revenue for the city too.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I've got mixed feelings on these. As mentioned, there is a tendency for those individuals or companies to prey on the elderly and do work in a dangerous or incomplete manner. I've lived next door to a home that was completely destroyed as a result of a fire started by poor workmanship from an unlicensed electrician. When I purchased my home, I ended up spending thousands repairing shoddy work that looked to be done by unlicensed contractors.

At the same time, some of the stuff, like painting for example, feels like complete nonsense. I suppose it's like anything else the government gets involved in. It starts out with a purpose, then some douchebag gets in charge and gradually expands his power until it gets ridiculous.

But hey, I'd certainly rather them do this than pitch a fit over a pastie that fell off or some other shit at a strip club.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Dolfan if they’re just doing a favor for a person with whom they have a previous relationship your equivocation is reasonable, however the OP made it clear that these handyman were operating as a business, and as such are required to follow certain regulations and best practices, you ride I95 down here regularly just look at all of the crap on the road as debris, from contractors pickups and trailers. I’d like to believe a business that was regulated properly would follow safe practices dispose of waste properly etc. it takes money to maintain and enforce proper rules and regulations. If these guys weren’t operating unlicensed businesses they never would have come in contact with enforcement.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ That’s not all it would be to much work to list all of the reasons that the OP is ridiculous but it is stupid to think it’s a good idea to allow people to operate unregulated businesses, but ok have at it I’ll guarantee it ain’t gonna work out very well
  • bigman226
    5 years ago
    Electronman, I don't think I would want a licensed handjob
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Fucktards who claim labor fraud is a victimless crime are the first to cry victim when it hurts them. Ie the idiots who call hookers who don't deliver what they promielse "robs" 🤣🤣🤣
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ !!!!!!

IceyLoco is one of very few people here with a brain.

The rest are just zombies!

SJG
  • elmer
    5 years ago
    Not sure whether I'm Pro or Con on licensed handjobs but in the spirit of promoting education would I'd be happy help out during the practical’s
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    It can often be counterproductive when the government gets involved (e.g. the employee-status for dancers, etc) - but as others pointed-out, some regulation is needed b/c "the honor-system" does not work LOL - the problem is government can often go too-far w/ regulations which in part is what leads many to avoid abiding by them - so I think sensible regulations should be in place as long as it doesn't put too-big a burden on the business-person in terms of cost and having to jump thru time-consuming hoops.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    There's two aspects to evaluating regulation:
    1. The need for regulation
    2. The written regulations and the process of enforcement

Often criticism is focused on justifying *the need* [we don't need no dam regs here] when the frustration and justified criticism should be focused on poorly written, vague, or regulations difficult to enforce fairly and efficiently.

The need to regulate something maybe reasonable and lead to good outcomes for society. But badly written regs, burdensome paperwork, and uneven enforcement sabotage potentially good outcomes.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^ agreed!

SJG
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    1. im pro licensed handjobs - i wanna know ahead of time that im dealing with a professional
    2. OP is ridiculous - ive never heard of a sting for work like the jobs described. regulation is good to a degree and it when it comes to the mechancial systems or structural work of a building that can kill the occupants if done incorrectly, then yes enforce away but handyman shit? come on. as described here -government overreach 100%.
    3. There is no testing (written or practical) or evaluation of any kind to get a license for handyman or home imrovement contracting, at least in my state which tends to be overregualted. all you need is insurance, a formed business and about $150 for the application. So even if the business IS licensed, that alone does not guarantee any type of quality, knowledge or expertise. Granted most hacks would not go through the trouble so youre generally better off with a licensed guy but it is NOT a guarantee of safe work. To me, the OP reads like a total money grab by local authorities.
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    @skibum The America of today simply fucking blows.
    Then get the fuck out. And don't let the door hit your 80-year-old ass on the way out.
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    You forget Prufrock, Skifredo isn’t an 80-year old man. He claims to be 80-year old graduate of the worst law school in the country that bills his destitute clients for time spent posting on TUSCL.

However, he’s actually a homeless crab that lives in a box behind a Starbucks and steals the WiFi. All while complaining about how Starbucks is full of “libruls an pregressives”

On the other hand, he’s also amusing. Like a clown. So it is worth keeping him around for a laugh. After all, a crab that things being a bad lawyer is cool if funny. ROAR!!!
    5 years ago
    Re; aPapi_Chulo
    “It can often be counterproductive when the government gets involved (e.g. the employee-status for dancers, etc) “
    I thought this was caused by law suits filed by Cali based dancers against their club in SF?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion