tuscl

Deleting comments and Discussions

founder
slip a dollar in her g-string for me
The edit button will 99.9% never happen on tuscl or twitter, but twitter allows you to delete your own tweets and comments.

Should we allow deleting your own discussion posts and comments here?

71 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Don’t see any harm in it
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    No.

Previous posting history is one of the few things that keeps users accountable for their past behaviors and actions.
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    No
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    No, as CMI said.
    If one says something out of line, one should own it, or publicly retract it, as in apologize.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    You could delete my post on this thread LOL
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Yes. I can see others using past comments to flame someone - recently you have given more control to users and this should be extended to control over one's data.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I don't see any good in allowing people to make such deletions.

Most often I feel that it would be used to flame someone and get a real war going, and then to delete the evidence of who had started it.

SJG
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    no
  • gammanu95
    5 years ago
    25IQ would love to delete his comment thread defending the rights of pedophiles to molest little kids!
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I say that things should stay as they are and we should not allow people to make deletions to comments, threads, or article. It would cause problems and give individuals too much power over things others post.

SJG
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Have mixed feelings on this. I kinda agree with CMI in that you need to live with your words. But sometimes you say something in the heat of the moment that you just dont' mean. I would not mind having the ability to take back a comment.
  • BabyDoc
    5 years ago
    Yes
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    If people could delete threads, they really are gutting this forum.

As far as comments, people can post retractions. Better to make it stay up.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    What's in-the-past is in-the-past, why dredge it up if it's not just to ride/flame somebody
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @gammanut exactly where is there a post of that nature now we can dredge up posts of you calling both Nina Bambina and Gaca porch monkeys, I bet if I did a search I could find the post where you wrote about latinos as being inferior then the lying post that you mad about being married to a South American doctor, which we all know is pure bullshit, I can find posts that you made calling me a "kike", my honest advice to you is quit while you are ahead, I even found your plagarized club reviews where you posted a review of Flashdance written by someone else, as a review of Cheetah WPB
    I've refrained from much of your worst stuff and have asked you to stop attacking me on threads, yet you insist on being a turd, this is my last request I'll stop playing nice and you will be sorry.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    But if people are allowed to make deletions, it will be used maliciously. Seen this on other forums.

SJG
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    You already have control over your data.

You're in control while you're typing a post, and you're in total control when you make the decision to submit a post. It's called personal responsibility. The permanence of a post is one of the few things that keeps users here somewhat accountable. If you post something that later gets used against you, then that means you need to be more careful about what you post.

Also, there is no new feature proposed here that doesn't get weaponized for dumb. Founder now allows us to change our profile names. Through that, the idiot troll, apoopdeep, transformed magically into this idiot troll: https://tuscl.net/member.php?id=675267

The only way you can tell is via the historical comments and discussions that are permanent for that profile. If users can simultaneously wipe out previous posting history and change user names, then that's basically a troll factory.

This isn't Twitter. Twitter has reporting mechanisms for abusive behavior and moderation. This site mostly rolls around in abuse and disdains moderation.

If we're not going to have even light moderation, then we should at least retain the scant mechanisms for accountability.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    And if someone want to use the above post against me in the future ... go for it.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    The *option* to delete should be there - for those adamantly against it, they don't have to delete any of their stuff - but I don't think it's right to make that decision for others.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    My body/data, my choice
  • founder
    5 years ago
    @papi, once it's posted, it's not your data anymore.

• nicespice
    5 years ago
    How about being able to change names without losing verification? Not the biggest deal, but then it seems like an incentive to not get verified in the first place if a troll can change identities but legit users can’t
  • bdirect
    5 years ago
    I am pro choice
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    As far as delete vs non delete, I can see the pros and cons to both. I am neutral
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    You can choose to think a moment before you post. We all have that choice.

And, as far as I know, if anyone here *really* feels like they fucked up by posting a particular comment or thread, then they can go to founder and have it deleted or moved. I know that has been done before for users who approached him about sincere concerns about something they posted.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Even better, how about not being able to change user names?

Perhaps something was going on behind the scenes that's beyond my scope, but I didn't understand the utility of that feature.
  • founder
    5 years ago
    @CMI, I allow un-verified users to change their nicknames because I get many requests to change nicknames for privacy reasons.
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    I'm mostly in the "No" camp for many of the reasons others have stated. However, I'd be amenable for tuscl giving a 1 hr. window after the post (like 1 professional related website that I'm a member of does) to correct grammar errors, or make a quick addendum. After that, you posted it, take the consequences of being cast in stone.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ".... @papi, once it's posted, it's not your data anymore ..."

AFAIK you have deleted accounts (and posts) in the past when TUSCLers have asked you to - why not put that flexibility in the user's hands.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    founder said "I allow un-verified users to change their nicknames because I get many requests to change nicknames for privacy reasons."

Got it. So, when someone hits the "Change" button, they see a big warning stating that they get to exercise this option only one time, and that this option wipes out any previous verification.

If they're not bright enough to anonymize their user name on the second try, then they have to request account deletion and start over.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    minnow said "However, I'd be amenable for tuscl giving a 1 hr. window after the post (like 1 professional related website that I'm a member of does) to correct grammar errors, or make a quick addendum. After that, you posted it, take the consequences of being cast in stone."

The flaw with that idea is that your sourcing it from a "professional related website", which is suspect moderates members against weaponizing otherwise useful features.

So, I create troll account and post a thread where I say: "I like dogs!". During the next 50 minutes a number of users post things like: "That's great", "I do too", "That's adorable. Mine is only 3 years old."

And then, right before the 1 hour mark, I go back to my thread and edit it to read: "I like little boys!"

See the problem...?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    People on other boards have used stuff like that to flame people and provoke response, and then to remove their original flame.

SJG
  • DrStab
    5 years ago
    When a person leaves TUSCL, are the comments, reviews they put in removed as well? I have noticed some missing comments from a notorious (but legit) poster and now I can see them.
  • DrStab
    5 years ago
    Sorry, can’t see them.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Better to keep content in when people leave. THey may come back. But also the history of threads and personalities is what gives this site its character. Want to preserve the content, the forum, and the community.

SJG
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    I get your point CMI, and recognize that projecting the membership profile of rigorously moderated site on to Tuscl free for all was flawed. I'm not sure if it allows to delete a post or thread because I haven't tried it. But it was nice to go back shortly after post to correct typos. When making an addendum, I'd always make it clear when and where I was doing it.
  • Htxx
    5 years ago
    Yes
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    I'm with C.M.I on this one. If you want crap deleted, ask founder and justify it.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    +1 C.M.I. and others who favored his argument.

Deleting comments or discussion posts makes sense on some well-moderated websites but not on lightly-moderated TUSCL.

Here it would be an open invitation to malicious trolls to create more damage.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    I would like the opportunity to correct errors in my reviews and maybe even my comments. I blame Siri (as I know I can never make a mistake .)
  • wiffle shwaffle
    5 years ago
    ^^I concur. I used voice to text way too often on here and don't catch many mistakes until after. My fault for being in a hurry, I know. But still...
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    I type most of my posts on my phone and proofread none so many are error filled. Deleting the worst would benefit me, but I say leave it be. Flaming seems to be the sole purpose of the site now anyway for most and the flamers are so stupid they need as much fuel as possible.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @skibum +1
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    I don't think one should be able to selectively delete their posts. I do think you should have the option to erase your entire presence if you chose to leave. I can see situations where that would be advantageous, (significant other, security clearances, running for Congress, you're the pastor of a Baptist mega-church, etc.).
  • gammanu95
    5 years ago
    And Chester the pedo-defender again agrees with a post which again highlights his ignorance and hypocrisy. I couldn't script it any better.

25IQ has moved from ad hominem attacks to outright lies. I have never plagiarized a review. I have never called him a kike. I did call people calling for the murder of police officers in the streets some nasty names, and would again. They were promoting murder. As always 25IQ- lonely and destitute- will see a comment from me, wipe the drool from his cum-crusted lips, and type a vile and impotent reponse as he always does. His only power and courage is from behind a keyboard. As always, remember he is a liar, both demented and dishonest. And he has clearly stated that pedophiles should not be persecuted or prosecuted for having sex with minors. Maybe that's why his family has abandoned him?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ From gammanuts greatest hits I didn't need to look very hard let the board

It was 25IQ whom I called a porch monkey. Little did I know he was some homeless, dejected, 80 year old white SJW whose family has deserted him. I called NinaBambin an ignorant slut. All she could do was her usual blustering, as she spun her fantasy about earning three degrees on some 8-year college plan.

• Dolfan
    5 years ago
    Nope. Delete on the internet is an illusion anyway. Once its out there, its out there.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I remember that @GammaNut constantly race-baited other member including @Nina with taunts about her being a welfare queen with a huge number of kids and made repeated references to blackface. He's a bigot who hides behind ignore and trolls the board with the most vile horseshit.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    On the original topic, I couldn't care less either way.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Yet VH who does the same things RM mentions gets no bashing by him because Progressives are blinded by their own bigotry. Way to go hypocrite.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @gammanuts you keep saying shit about me that just ain't true, I find post after post made by you to back up everything I have stated. You simply say shit with no back up or justification, I leave it up to the board to decide who is a Liar.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Skibum609 said "Yet VH who does the same things RM mentions gets no bashing by him because Progressives are blinded by their own bigotry."

The conservative trolls here complain because no one bashes the liberal trolls. The liberal trolls complain because no one bashes the conservative trolls.

What could be more true is that the majority of TUSCL quietly hopes that you'll all STFU with your juvenile, dick-waggling temper tantrums performed under the thin guise of "politics".

I see someone like JimmyMcNulty take a cogent, consise, and constructive position on a political thread and most of you act like the dog farted, and then go back to calling each other schoolyard names.

Also, I don't think I should be able to delete this comment.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Funny ol' quote by @Nina Feb 5, 2017 (those were the TUSCL glory days for those of you who are new):

"And twentyfive, "those girls are mean in ways no one here could ever think of." Um... are you kidding me? Gammanut95 called YOU a porch monkey and compared ME to a racist blackface stereotype character while simultaneously telling me that I'm "well on my way" to having 12 kids and falsely accused me of being a weflare queen (related fact, I have 0 kids and the only assistance whatsoever that I get from the government is student loans).

Obviously gammanut95 felt stupid to say such non applicable things and he's one of the biggest nutcases on this forum..."
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    This thread is the perfect example of why comments should not be removable. It shows what absolute shitheads some posters are and any user should be able to find that information.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    @Ishmael “ see someone like JimmyMcNulty take a cogent, consise, and constructive position on a political thread and most of you act like the dog farted, and then go back to calling each other schoolyard names.”

👏
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    On the original topic, no to user self-delete. You posted it. Sack up and live with it.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Hystrerical to read posts criticizing others while doing the samer thing they are bitching about. Very much a hallmark of the New England progressive.
  • gammanu95
    5 years ago
    This thread an excellent example of the problem with social media as a whole. Dozens, hundreds, thousands of people all with different opinions each trying shout over each other. When disgreements happen, and they happen all too often, the belligerents waste time trying to land some kind of digital knockout blow; which is simply impossible. (That's not true, I've done it a couple of times. I only felt good about it once.)

Twentyfive is a lying piece of shit. He is an example of a true dreg of humanity. Barely even worth recognizing as a human being. He is as worthless as anyone can be. Having said that, I am embarassed to have stooped low enough to engage him. I should have remembered why i put him on ignore in the first place, and never should have given him a second chance.

No matter what you think, I am better than that. I am actually a pretty happy-go-lucky guy who prefers to live and let live. I'll say that again: No matter what you think. It simply does not. Fucking. Matter.

So I'm taking the high road (again) and putting the limp-dicked old fool back on ignore. He can spread as many lies as he wants about me being a racist and a Nazi, and if anyone believes that then it will be their loss. I am done wasting time with him, and demeaning myself in the process. 25 will try to claim this as some sort of hollow victory. Instead, I will leave you with this advice from Friedrich Nietzsche, "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster." It is time for me to heed that advice.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    I would tend to say don't allow it. In the real world, you say something, it can not be undone. Text is just a different medium for conversation. Why should it be any different?
    That said, I've typed things on TUSCL I wished I could have deleted.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    @Gammanut: "So I'm taking the high road (again)..."
    😂
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Gamm youy are wrong on 25. Simple fact. As far as Nietzsche? How does quoting a Nazi make things better?
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    Agree with Ish, I'd be against a "delete your own post" ability
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Letting people delete or edit stuff will make this all even more wild and wooley. Other forums have had the same problem. Self delete or edit makes it worse. And people can always post retractions or updates.

SJG
  • wallanon
    5 years ago
    "No" vote. Own what you wrote.
  • Tiburon
    5 years ago
    Yeah. It can help keep the threads a bit less cluttered for those double posters.

However, it kinda is a downgrade edit button at the same time. I dont like what I wrote, so I copy, delete my post and repost again with new edits.

So keep that in mind.
  • wallanon
    5 years ago
    I'm not writing anything on TUSCL that'll be studied 100 years from now. If there's typos in what I write, then I have that oops moment upon recognition and life goes on. If I cringe about what I wrote because I didn't put enough thought into it, that's on me to do better next time.
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    What does it mean when there's a muted comment that you can't open? I was reading Jabberwock's thread about the new California laws. Jabberwock also seems to have SJG on ignore since all his posts are muted. But there is one muted near the bottom that I can't open.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ it's probably a super-mute
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ AKA Smute
  • whodey
    5 years ago
    No, a user's history is one important way to know how reliable their info is.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion