tuscl

OT: AARP ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:00 PM
I turn 50 in a few weeks and received a letter in the mail about joining AARP. Any of you old-farts are/have-been AARP members? If so, do you have any pros/cons opinions w.r.t. it?

24 comments

• san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    AARP is very important because we must defend Social Security from the neo-liberals and financial speculators, such as G. W. Bush and Donald Trump. SJG
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    It's just another liberal advocacy organization seeking government handouts for its members.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Social Security was one of the best and most popular policies ever devised. It must be defended. And people must also learn to defend themselves. SJG
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    I am a member of AARP, and have been since I was 62. I get my Medicare supplement insurance through them. Besides that, they have a lot of discount partnerships that easily save the cost of membership over the year. Most of these will not be available until you're at least 62.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ ATACdawg +20 SJG
  • topmandd
    5 years ago
    Don't agree with many items the lobbyists shove thru - but that discount at Denny's can't be beat LOL
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ actually I prefer IHOP 😊
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    Dont join until your 60’s. There’s nothing you need from them before hand, so save the time and money and do independent research. they lobby to Congress hard and have a strong bias towards old people ideas. If you’re healthy you can get better insurance on more outside the box health insurance premiums and supplemental plans. In fact, I will plan on using an HSA plan oil Medicare eligible.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    I'm a proud member of AARP. Membership does give you some discounts that you may enjoy. But more importantly AARP is a lobby that represents old people and protects their interests. Politicians don't care about us. But they do care about our money and our votes.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    What ATACdawg said BUT be prepared to be spammed by email/snail mail for contributions under the guise of petitions to congress,etc. Also you'll become a target for their 'business' partners to sell you life/auto/long-term care insurance plus a dozen other affiliate mailings. If you're cool with deleting or tossing the adverts the benefits are worth the relatively low membership fee.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i’m considering maybe joining aarp my next b’day when i turn 70.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    The only thing that interests me is their legislative update
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    I once had a conversation with the head lobbyist of a very large corporation. He told me about his first time at a gathering of lobbyists and Washington congressmen. He was schmoozing with the politicians when an old man walked into the room. All the politicians abandoned him and ran over to the old man like he was a rock star. The old man was the AARP lobbyist. Politicians know that old people vote.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    I'll be 78 next month and have never had an interest in joining. I do get constant snail mail with a membership card that I just toss. A couple of days ago they sent me one telling me that I could save up to $500 on my auto insurance. Just fill out the form for a free estimate. What could hurt? So I started filling it out and then got down to my name, address, email, etc. WTF do they need that for for a free estimate. I shit canned it.
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    I'm 55 and have been getting those AARP offers since I turned 50. I toss them now, but like others have said, it is worth exploring when you're in your 60s since the benefits will surely outweigh the relatively low annual cost.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Bunch of good discounts and freebies I’ve been a member since I turned 50
  • loper
    5 years ago
    Yes, join. Discounts, advocacy, and insurance.
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    At your age (Papi), unless you think they can help you on auto insurance or several hotel discounts, I don't see a compelling reason for you to join. I only joined them recently, just got their medicare supplemental plan, definitely recommend joining them just for that. They've occasionally helped get the best rate for impromptu hotel stays, and I occasionally read their magazine. As one gets to be 62 - 65, they should definitely join. Ah, hell, Papi, you're a voracious reader, and only giving up a cheap lap dance for membership, go for it, Papi !!
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    I have been getting their mailings for about the last eight years. I always ask dancers if they give AARP discounts. So far, I have had no reason to join.
  • laplurker
    5 years ago
    I joined to get a discount on Medicare gap insurance. A lot of travel oriented businesses like hotels, car rentals, private airport parking lots, airport shuttles, etc. offer AARP discounts. Sadly, strip clubs do not.
  • bdirect
    5 years ago
    happy 50 bday
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    👍
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    We all have to make our own decisions on how we spend our money. But that the AARP tries to do is very important. In my organization our Inner Order Members will enjoy a complete cradle to grave welfare state. Excellent money if they decide to bail, and we will make many into serial entrepreneurs. But if they stay in, they will never have an need for money again, just like royalty, carry no money. SJG
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    ^ STFU!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion