tuscl

DACA

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
It i’s truly pathetic that you have to turn to a discussion group on TUSCL to read something rational about DACA. But that’s how crappy and distorted the mainstream news media coverage has become (and that includes CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post, The New York Times and all of the Fox News channels).

I personally believe that DACA represents a humane policy for addressing the status of people who, through no fault of their own, were brought across the border into the USA as children and who grew up as Americans. They dress, sound, act and live like the rest of us in America. They pay taxes and even serve in the American military. It would be cruel to force them to “return” to a country they don’t even know and never considered home.

But the question currently before the Supreme Court is NOT whether DACA is a humane or wise policy. The narrow question before the Supreme Court is whether any president (including the current orange one) has the authority to modify or rescind the DACA program.

Despite my conviction that DACA is a humane and wise program, I sincerely believe that the correct answer to the question before the Supreme Court is that a president (even the current carnival clown who routinely appears in public wearing what looks like an old piece of refrigerator insulation as a hairpiece) DOES have the authority to modify or rescind DACA.

If the Supreme Court were to uphold DACA because revoking it would be inhumane, then I (as a “true conservative” - not the brain-dead, RINO Trump kind) would be thoroughly outraged.

The correct result is that the Supreme Court upholds the DACA rescission and then the legislative branch passes sensible immigration reform including appropriate measures dealing with people who have grown up in America, gone to American schools, paid American taxes and even served in the American military even though they were brought here illegally as children.

25 comments

• RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Why isn't this this in the politics room?

Your not " teaching" us anything and it's up to Congress to pass sensible legislation. Bipartisan support for DACA is overwhelming.

There's nothing wrong with the coverage in places like NYT and WaPo. In fact you're just parroting an article by George Will that came out a few days ago.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    You're
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    RandomMember,

“In fact you're just parroting an article by George Will that came out a few days ago.”

WOW!

Thanks!

That’s the best compliment I’ve received in a long time! I haven’t read any articles by George Will lately but I am a big fan of his. He writes very well and I am usually in agreement with his viewpoints.

Thanks again!
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    There is no “they”. Some of the DACA recipients are hard working, church going, positive members of society. Some are violent, drug dealing scum. And, of course, everything in between.

The DACA recipients should be treated as individuals, not as some protected class where everyone is treated like an angelic victim.

Deport the criminals and provide green cards to the productive recipients.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    @Reverend: I really enjoyed your story about the immigrant kids in your neighborhood and how they compete along side your own kids in school. From what I've read, a lot of DACA kids work their ass off to succeed here.

But here's Trump's take: “Many of the people in DACA, no longer very young, are far from ‘angels.’ Some are very tough, hardened criminals,”

Of course that's horseshit since DACA recipients cannot have any felony record and they have to pass a rigorous background investigation.

It's all well and fine to say that Congress will take care of everything with new legislation. But seems to me Trump is at the end of line to sign any legislation into law. And Trump obviously doesn't want brown people in the country.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Our beloved orange baboon in the Oval Office says some of the DACA folks are “very tough, hardened criminals.”

Seems to me those very tough, hardened criminals would feel right at home in the Trump administration!
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    ditto.

Your Vietnam post was outstanding, BTW
  • Corvus
    5 years ago
    Anyone know a DACA stripper?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    I suspect many of us do. But it's not like they're bar coded. And residency status doesn't figure prominently in my strip club small talk.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    It's truly pathetic that you have to post political garbage on the front room discussion board when a political discussion board is available for that use.
  • gammanu95
    5 years ago
    This belongs in the politics discussion group. Please respect your fellow mongers and use the appropriate board.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    perhaps DACA should not be a political topic.
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    I, somewhat reluctantly, agree with your premise.
    And, that this probably should have been in politics room.
    Where it would have brought up the average of discourse.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    But DACA is a political topic. So, yeah, this is in the wrong place.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    HaHaHaHa. You used the words legislative and sensible in the same sentence. Talk about creative writing. You know, you may have a career ahead of you writing fiction for the masses.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    You “believe” that the president has this authority? Or you can point to the section of the Constitution that gives him the power to change legislation? Or the section of the DACA law (or any other law) itself that cedes him this authority in this case?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ If DACA was created by executive order ( Obama ) then any subsequent POTUS could change it. It think this had been the case.

But I do support DACA and in general a tolerant and humane approach towards immigration.

SJG
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    @prevert, DACA isn't legislation per se. It's an immigration policy enacted by Obama by executive order. As such, Trump can in fact abolish it via his own executive order.

Congress was going to pass actual legislation, but never did.

One federal judge has even opined that DACA is unconstitutional, but declined to actually act on that, waiting for further court rules.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    Ah, you’re right, I was confusing that with the never passed dreamer act.

Sorry, Rev.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    THis country is very divided on many things. So often POTUS will use executive orders.

SJG
  • JimGassagain
    5 years ago
    ^^^ the main reason why this country is so divided is because of the oversaturated media, constantly trying to trigger the gullible to believe the stupid stuff that the liberal main stream media tells us.

It’s the dumbing down of the Citizen’s that is the hope for the media to control us, which is why the democrats and liberals are the party of the dumb, trying to dumb us down to the point we believe they can actually help us when in fact the so called progressive radical
    Left are the ones that will destroy us if we let enough of them in office.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The worst thing which has happened in this country is the rise of Right Wing Nonsense Media, of which Gassagain is a paid representative.

SJG
  • JimGassagain
    5 years ago
    ^^^ I’m rubber, you’re glue SJG!
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    ^^He’s not a Hannity ball-licker.
    Hannity would need to have testicles to have anyone lick them.
    So I suspect he is a Hannity carpet-muncher.
  • nemesisk7
    5 years ago
    Everything will return to Normal once a Democrat president is at the helm !!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion